“Lovely lovely lovely”
Review of Aussies Beach Bar

Aussies Beach Bar
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Very friendly bar/restaurant right on the beach. New owners just two months ago.
Chatham, United Kingdom
“Lovely lovely lovely”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After reading jking72 review of this establishment my wife and I decided to visit and see for ourselves. My wife ordered the Tasmanian Devil and I stuck to the sausage sandwich . Ice cold beers delivered as advertised, promptly and excellent service with a smile. We were warned the burger was hot, and it lived up to the expectation. Ha ha. I polished off the sandwich and my wife started on the burger. In fact she finished the burger !! Ok her eyes were streaming and she had to remove a couple of jalapeños but she finished it. At one point the owner came out and saw she was struggling, but promptly offered her an alternative, obviously at no extra cost , of course she declined and persevered. Look my point is. It is advertised as STREWTH ITS HOT. No-one forced her to order it. It was exactly as described and the staff were excellent. 3 beers and a strawberry milkshake later we left, satisfied, full up and ready for the rest of the day. There is just no pleasing some people. Mr. King take a look at yourself and try and enjoy experiences rather than ruin other peoples. That is all. Third visit to Lanzarote now and will return to Aussies for lunch before we head back.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Giantkstacks

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“well worth a visit”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The food here is very simple - but very good! The place looks like nothing - yet they served the best goujons I have ever eaten. The fillet chicken burger was excellent. The tazmanian devil burger - beware - it will blow your head off! The prices are fantastic too - we went back another twice!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank bettyfithey
Dublin, Ireland
“At Last”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Being regulars to Matagorda, we walk along the Matagorda/ Los Pocillos strip on a daily basis. When passing the ‘Sol’ , I look left every time at a small beach bar, “We must go there someday” I have said for years; this year we did.
Though it was windy, the sun remained warm and we decided to try
Aussies Beach Bar for the first time. Sitting outside, a waitress immediately asked what would we like; only drinks on this occasion. We saw food being served so we perused the menu out of curiosity.
We returned next day to partake in food and drinks. Excellent snacks and cold beer in a little by-passable gem of a beach bar. If you have never been there before, like us, I urge you to and least have a drink there and enjoy the scenery and people passing by.
We will visit more often each time we return.

• Visited May 2014
Lanzarote, Spain
“Vvery good”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

On the beach front - so has a wonderful view out to sea -- very friendly – 1st time we had burgers & chips which were really delish & served up with a lot of humour & fun -- talked & laughed our way throughout the meal with staff – have been back a number of times and will continue to do so & recommend them ;-)

• Visited January 2014
Helsby, United Kingdom
“Entirely Overrated for the exceptionally poor service”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We visited this bar yesterday, as we are staying close by and because of the very favourable reviews.

In the interest of being fair and balanced, It is a pleasant location with a sea view, the beer is indeed cold, as they promise and everything is reasonably priced.

After sitting down and waiting almost 20 minutes we were not quite sure if it was a table service establishment or not as the server and cook were busy chatting to one of their ex-pat regulars and then went on to chat on his cell phone with his wife/sister/mother/best mate (another ex-pat regular, anyway).

Eventually I got up to order, but was met halfway by the server who took our order for a drink while we looked at the food menu.

My partner ordered the chicken burger and I ordered the 'Tasmanian Devil', a chili burger with jalapenos. I was told it was hot and the menu tells you 'Strewth, it's Hot'.

But that's okay, I am very well traveled, enjoy spicy food and back home I generally order a Tindaloo or Phaal, so I am aware of what a hot and spicy dish is and what a nice one should taste like and how fiery spice compliments the other flavours in a dish.

My burger did have jalapenos, but it was also completely drowned in some type of thick sauce concoction consisting of scotch bonnet, Tabasco, West Indian pepper sauce and a couple of other ingredients I could not detect.

And when I say it was drowned in this suspect 'sauce', I do mean that, to the point that the burger bun was saturated in it. It was ghastly, unpalatable and I did not eat it.

I told the server it was awful and I did not and would not eat it, evidenced by the fact that a single bite was taken from it. I pointed out that the menu makes no mention whatsoever of the mystery sauce (which would have been fine if the main ingredient was that which was stated on the menu, but it wasn't)

I really did not expect to have to pay for it and once I had cleansed my mouth of the putrid foulness of this culinary disaster, i would have gladly ordered something else.

Instead I was told I was the very first person to ever complain about it and I was warned it was hot.

Missed the point really, I thought.

I'm on holiday, I wasn't going to argue over it or try and point out what the proper customer service response should have been for an establishment that serves food and inaccurately portrays something on the menu.

I was just rather ignorantly treated like I had failed some type of weird 'Man vs Food' challenge, that I didn't actually sign up for.

But I did ask the question - 'How many empty plates have you collected from this dish'? - to which I was not offered a response, and she walked off, leaving our plates on the table.

We finished the Sangria we had ordered along with the 'meal', but I walked away from my table and played ball with the lovely black Lab doggy living next door because my uneaten meal absolutely reeked an unpleasant and putrid smell, once it had been in the sun for half an hour.

Eventually the plates were collected and I asked for the bill.

Of course we did not leave a penny in tip.

No we wont be returning.

I am aware that we were not dining at The Ivy or The Fatty Duck, but had the issue been dealt with correctly, I would have ordered something else, we would have stayed and enjoyed cocktails until the sun went down, we would have left a tip and we would have returned.

Avoid - there is much better out there.

• Visited June 2014