“Cold and windy when we arrived but still had a lovely holiday”

VIK Hotel San Antonio
Ranked #25 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Cold and windy when we arrived but still had a lovely holiday”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

So cold when the arrival doors opened Togo to bus park, thought we were still in England. Lasted two days then picked up to lovely weather. Hotel still the same in need off an update but still good. So busy when we arrived but everything ran smoothly. Food really good I am a very fussy eater but plenty for me..Scrambled eggs so creamy. Cakes and puddings yummy. Had a sea view room it is worth it cos it is lovely to listen to the sea in bed at night. It was my birthday while we were there. A tray with cava, wine and fruit with plates and glasses arrived at the door, such a lovely touch.Out and about prices not bad. Beer 2-3euros . Coffee the same. Breakfast from 2euros. Meals from Six euros. Went to old town and dearer there and poor service in the bars we visited two by the harbour and one in the town. Stick to the front much better. Taxis not bad Four fifty euros from old town to our hotel.Bus to play Blanca 5 '40 euros there n the Same back (for two) . Still love the island it cleaned up well will be back soon. Ps very comfy bed ours wad huge

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pippa96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I just came back from a great break in the San Antonio Hotel, it was perfect for me at this time because I wanted somewhere quiet. The Restaurant staff, particularly Maria Jose, Javier Carmonas and German were so welcoming every time I came down for food, it was a pleasure. The cocktail staff were also excellent, working really hard, they never seemed to stop, particularly gerard, however, there was one guy, in his mid fifties behind the counter, who was downright rude and if he was working for me I would have sacked him ages ago. I was actually shocked at how rude he was. I had a lovely holiday and I would recommend the Hotel to anyone wanting to get away and have some peace and quiet. I went alone and everyone looked after me very well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank bella055
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

the hotel was great, clean and tidy. the staff were helpfull, cant fault the room. we were AI so had the fridge (water left every day), the tea/coffee and the safe included. towels changed every otherday, the beds were comfy. the room had a side sea veiw. We just felt that we were to young for this hotel, most of the guest seemed to be the older generation. there was music to dance to (ballroom dancing). everything else was a bit too slow. the hotel is on the beach but its not easy to go in the sea due to the rocks. it is not the hotels beach so you have to pay for the loungers. there are lots of sunbeds round the pools, but they are very close together. we were here from the 19th May for 1 week. the weather was mixed. cloudy and windy. glad we took jackets. the strip is not far to walk and is more or less flat. we will not be returning but dont let this put you off.

3 Thank megandken1
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We spent 2 weeks here early April. Room 3318 brilliant. Newly decorated, sea view and guess what, there was no walking for my husband as the lift was beside our room and straight down to the restaurant and pool area. For a massive hotel this was a real bonus.
JOHNNY the entertainer, well what can I say. Quite frankly not enough. We are like those couples who WILL NOT TAKE PART. However after 3 days the bug got us. We had a ball. Met loads more happy holiday guests. Johnny went around inviting everyone to take part, he made everyone feel so welcome. Always started on time and at the end of each sport reminded us of the next event. OH the winner of each daily event got a Certificate presented to them before the live show that evening. Great Great fun.
My breakfast, I'm a fussy egg eater. BUT a special thank you to LAYLA who was always smiling made me a perfect fried egg for 2 weeks. The grief she had to endure from rude guests but she was so gracious and simply smiled. Well done Layla.
The food at all times was superb. The choices massive. Live evening entertainment brilliant. The attitude of the staff, they were so were trained. Well done VIK Hotel San Antonia

Room Tip: For a little extra book Sea View. A little more a Newly Renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank patrickfrances1
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Arrived at 10PM to be given a drab small room at this 4* property. Had to up grade to a bigger drab room where the TV was falling off the wall. I complained that 4* hotels should be clean and have good facillities. However they assured me that RENTING A SAFE, HAVING TOILETRIES FROM A PAPER SACHET was in fact for star ! on top of this no drinks at all were on offer. This may have been four star in the 50s but now it is far below standard.
I explained that even a travelodge gives you a coffee and thats a roadhouse. The towels were well used at least for 30 years and the dining experience was so poor we went out to eat even after paying for the evening meal.
The majority of the staff were very poorly trained ( coughing over dinner plates) and at best curt in there manners.
When they told me that were four star I laughed and asked the to look up Crowne Plaza on the web, all in all if you want a drab stay with poor and dirty bathrooms rude staff then you will enjoy this hotel otherwise nip accross to Teneriffe and try the Shearton.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
8 Thank SteveD7450WC
Anja A, Sales executive at VIK Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing your opinion on Tripadvisor.

We are truly sorry that you could not enjoy your stay at the VIK hotel San Antonio. We do our very best to preprare our guests a nice stay with friendly staff, huge buffet -especially in the evening with show cooking, every evening entertainment and much more. But we do understand that we cannot satify everyone and we are sorry about this.

Best Regards,
Rhondda, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

One of the best holidays I have been to. You pay for what you get, and even though the holiday was not cheap we had a fabulous time.

It was quiet when we went to the Vik San Antonio as the children had gone back to school. The staff were friendly and the bar staff were great. Once we had finished a drink they were brining our regular orders to the table. One of the best AI hotel we've stayed at.

We particularly liked the fact that there was a swimming pool that there were no lilo's or ball aloud, it was just for swimming. A kids pool and a fun pool. The gym also had a good variety which my partner used every morning.

There was also a safety deposit box in the room, and the room was very clean.

Would go back tomorrow to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Claire G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just back after staying here for 1 week half board. We stayed in 4510 and the views were stunning! Our room was cleaned daily and towels were changed when required. Decor of rooms is a bit dated but not as bad as some on here are making out. I've seen worse. We hired the fridge for 12 euros for the week, but if your going AI then you don't pay anything for it. Air conditioning was as a god send as we couldn't keep our door open because of mosquitos. We know this problem wasn't just isolated to the hotel as they were everywhere. I've been to Puerto del Carmen a few times and never been bitten once. My mum got 14 bites on one arm sitting outside a pub one night. The hotel tried their best to help. They sprayed down our rooms and provided plug ins at no extra cost. I bought a repellent from the local spar and it worked wonders. Didn't get one bite whilst wearing it.
The food was outstanding. We were a bit apprehensive before arriving as we've been half board at other hotels and the standard of food has been dire. We didn't eat out once during the full week which is very very unusual for us as we are quite fussy eaters. The breakfast was delicious as there's so much to choose from. My partner loved the fact he could get a fry up or an omelette made to his specification. The choice of breads, cakes and pastries is brilliant. Honestly, I couldn't fault the food choice.
If you're not AI your drinks at lunch or dinner are charged to your room. We asked if we could just settle the bill at each visit but were told no, and that we'd need to pay it at the end of our stay. Make sure you take your card with you at meal times.
There were sun loungers but if you were up after 9am then you did not have a hope in hell of getting one. We found it quite annoying that they were loungers there but people had put towels on them then they would go away for half the day then return and lift their towels and go away up to their rooms. This shouldn't be allowed. We found a wee secluded bit round at the tennis courts. It's the path behind the children's pool. This leads you down to the beach but there's also alcoves there and in each one is two sunloungers, parasol and table. We stayed down there most of the time as it's quieter, private and you don't feel crammed in as I felt up at the main pools. There's three pools in total. The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and I genuinely couldn't fault anything. It was my birthday whilst there and after being out most of the day I came back to find in my room a bottle of cava in a bucket of ice, fruit and a bottle of fizzy water. I thought this was a lovely touch and made that day that little bit more special.
The hotel is situated at the start of the strip but there are restaurants and pubs etc only 5 mins away and the bus stop and taxis are right outside the hotel.
I will definitely be returning to this hotel when I next visit puerto del carmen. I can't praise them high enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in 4510 and the view was amazing. Right in the top centre of the hotel.
8 Thank Leigh F