“Matagorda Lanzarote”

Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
Ranked #29 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Myself and two sisters are just back from a 2 week stay at the Sol Lanzarote Apart/Hotel Matagorda. The accommodation was satisfactory with a cleaner attending every day with fresh towels and bed linen if required.

The pool area was good and an excellent base for children. The hotel was based on the Flintstones theme with characters appearing at the pool area most days entertaining the children. The night entertainment was also very child friendly.

We were on a s/c basis but ate in the restaurant on two occasions for
dinner. Food was excellent with a buffet service and steaks, fresh fish etc cooked to order by the chef.

The beach was just across from the hotel and to the left side sunbeds
and parasols were free of charge to guests.

There was certainly a lot of aircraft passing by but to be honest the
noise didn't seem to bother anybody and it was actually exciting to see the planes so close to the beach.

Overall we had an excellent holiday and we hope to return to this accommodation again.
BKH

10  Thank Knocklayde
Write a ReviewReviews (3,873)

Reviewed 1 October 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Sol from 20th to 27th September 2007. Having read the previous reviews, I dispute them all!! the reception staff were superb both on check in and check out - they were polite, pleasant and friendly, what more can you ask for! (I find you reap what you sow, treat people with respect and they will usually recipricate) I had telephoned the hotel to check the reservation prior to arriving and asked for a seaview (8 euros per day extra but well worth it!) we were given a fantastic room on the top floor, looking right over the ocean. The rooms are large and nicely furnished, beds extremely comfortable! and the bathrooms modern and also large. The entire hotel is spotless, with cleaning crews constantly on the go. The pools are sparkling, only the largest is heated. On the beach opposite the hotel you can use the loungers and umbrellas FREE, just show the card they give you whne you check in. The pool area is busy and they do appear to be packed in like sardines, however we just went to the beach every day and had no problem getting loungers. between the hotel and the beach is a promenade, no cars are allowed so it is extremely pleasant for walking the length of the beach. There are two supermarkets within 3 minutes walk (left as you come out of the gate to the beach) one is a Spar the other, behind it, is a spanish supermarket - the spanish supermarket is much cheaper (mateus rose wine 3 euros a bottle!)
The hotel room has a fridge, very handy for keeping wines and beers!. No tea/coffee making facilities, so take your travel kettle ( you can't drink the tap water in lanzarote, but it is safe to clean your teeth, bottled water from the supermarket is very cheap).
The maid service is daily, fresh towels every day, after 3 days they had not changed the bed, so we stripped it and left it in a pile and of course it was made-up with fresh linen. We were half board (we opted for breakfast and dinner, but you can have lunch instead if you prefer) it was a very good deal booking through the hotels own website www.solmelia.com, we also booked our flights on the internet directly with the airline, we saved £400 not using a travel agent. You can book other options with this hotel, B&B or all inclusive. The food in the restaurant was outstanding - breakfast and dinner werebuffet style, breakfast had all continental choices available and full english also, every kind of everyhting, with chefs to cook fresh eggs and pancakes. Dinner was even better - full salad station, many types of hot vegatables, a carvery, a pasta station (which the chef makes you up the pasta of your choice), various freshly cooked fish, steak, chicken, veal etc cooked also by a chef to your liking. Many other hot dishes in heated salvers, lots of different breads, cheeses etc.. and a huge dessert choice. Wine is ordered from the wine list and starts at 7.90 euros a bottle for a spanish rose that was excellent! you can also order beers etc.. but you may not take in drinks from outside the restaurant.
We hired a car for the week, as it was cheaper to have it for the week than the middle few days (taxis from the airport to the hotel are ten euros each way), we paid £65, using Autoreizen and collecting from the airport on arrival and dropping back for departure, did alot of research and they were the cheapest, we have used them before, they're very good. (incidentally the hotel is only 8 minutes drive from the airport!) the car was handy for going to the big market on a sunday, at Teguise, the hotel does offer coach trips at 12 euros per person, but you are stuck there for a few hours and two hours is quite long enough to see it all twice and have a coffee!, get there early though (10am) after 11am its gets extremely busy and isn't so nice for seeing things. Great for the table linens, copy handbags and sunglasses etc.. but you MUST barter with the africans, they are good hagglers and if you walk away they will drop the prices by half!.
Also worth a visit is Porto Calero - the other side of Puerto del Carmen, ten minutes by car - lovely marina with lots of millionaires yachts, lovely shops and nice restaurants over looking the boats, good for people watching too!, there is a yellow submarine that offers rides too!.
Nearby Puerto del Carmen is very blackpool-ish, but you can get great bargains on booze and perfumes (about a forty minute walk, 6 euros in a cab - all the taxis are regulated, air conditioned mercedes, so you will never be ripped off). If you have a car the caves at Jameous del Aqua and also the emerals lake at El Golfo are worth visiting - wonderful scenery.
All in all we would definately stay at this hotel again - it was excellent.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank Scarrlett
Reviewed 30 September 2007

iLovely hotel which has recently had a makeover. The location is perfect and if you are lucky you will have one of the rooms looking onto the sea. The rooms are spacious and all have air conditioning, there is also TV but most of the channels are in spanish. Matagorda is a lovely small resort and has a small number of bars and resturaunts which are very good and reasonably priced.

The capital of Lanzarote which is Arricefe is a lovely walk along the beach past the Airport. When you arrive there it is quite dissapointing and there is not terribly much to sea. However there is a lovely bakery and coffee shop just past the big hotel you pass when you first arrive there.

If you walk the other way from the sol lanzarote you will reach Puerto Del Carmen which is more like your average European beach resort. it has a decent amount of shops and resturaunts, however in my experience none of the offer better food or value
than in Matagorda. There is a nice bakery / resturaunt in the recently renovated shopping centre near the harbour in Puerto Del Carmen. A nice spot for a coffee when you have been walking for a while.

Overall the Sol Lanzarote is a great hotel ideal for couples and families alike. The hotel seems to cater well for children and there is kids clubs during the day and entertainment for them at night. I cannot comment on the food because i have never eaten in the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank martinbrora
Reviewed 30 September 2007

My boyfirend and I have just returned from spending 10 days at the Sol Lanzarote. After having read some of the reviews before we left and reading everyone moaning about it I was a bit apprehensive about staying there but to be perfectly honest with you, neither of us could find anything to complain about. The rooms were very spacious and really clean. A few of the guests commented that the resteraunt menu was very limited but as we are self catering we never actually ate in the hotel and there were some excellent restaturants only a 5 minute walk away and we never once had a bad meal and they were all reasonably priced aswell. I have to say that La Brisa was our favourite with the Slow Boat Chinese restaurant coming a close second. Barties Irish bar is well worth a visit and have entertainment on every night of the week. We found ourselves walking upto the airport on several occasions (only about 10 mins away) after we had ate our meals as the food is so good and the portion sizes huge that you need to walk it off before you can even think about hitting the alcohol. We walked into Peuto Del Carmen and back one day but I would not recommend that, get a taxi it only costs about 5 Euros. To sum it up, this was an encellent holiday and we have both said that we will definately be returning. To all those people who complained about it, all I can say is, you should have taken you personal staff with you instead of giving them time off.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank hodgecumbria
Reviewed 26 September 2007

I have just returned from a week self catering with my partner from the above hotel and I have to say it was the best holiday ever and very cheap! The room was very spacious and spotlessly clean with the towesl being changed every day - what more could you ask for? We didn't eat at the hotel but went to the restaurants next to the hotel. I have to mention the Auld Triangle's Irish Stew, Sunday roast and bacon sandwich and also the Slow Boat II Chinese restaurant - excellent. Also the Sirrocco and the Paradise Beach restauarant were excellent. Not a bad meal in the whole week. The location of the hotel was also excellent if you were looking for a chill out break which is what my partner and I were looking for. We walked into Peurto Del Carmen twice through the day - it took us about an hour - we didn't like it so we headed down to the old town - quite nice - had a few beers in one of the restaurants overlooking the ocean - beautiful. The only downside to the hotel in my view is the lack of service in the bar area - one or two people serving and the bar was normally very busy. We just ventured down to the Auld Triangle for a few beers. We went along to Dreamers for a nice roll and square slice sausage and a good few people were having their Scottish breakfast - looked amazing.

For the price we paid for this holiday we will defintely be going back - well worth every penny.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank AngeSep
Reviewed 24 September 2007

Having read all the other reviews what you have to remember is that this is a cheap hotel. If you are looking for amazing service and food, I suggest you dip further into your pockets.

The hotel was clean, very tidy, towels etc cleaned every day, spacious etc. Only downsides were (we were self catering) no toaster or kettle which was a bit odd, but we just used our heads and used a pan to boil some water.

TV was mostly all spanish, but we didnt watch much of that (if you know what I mean!!)

Pool side was brill, very clean, lots of sunbeds, didnt let the Germans put their towels out the night before.

As we were sc didnt have breakfast booked, but most mornings you could just wander in. We were there for about two weeks and only had to pay twice..a bargain!!!

Hotel about 5 mins from airport so if you go Globespan you avoid the buses and get ther quickly. Hotel about 7 euros in a cab to the nightlife and plenty of good restaurants in Del Carmen (Lanis La Ola if you like good food and are under 40!)

I agree the staff werent very welcoming, but i didnt really find any spanish people anywhere on the island very friendly..probably had their fill of british tourists giving them grief !.

Beach right next to hotel again with plenty of sun beds, and a nice wee walk to nearby places for lunch, papers etc. Dont turn left for food at back of the pool..this is a wee bit downmarket..turn right..much better.

In summary, a very good hotel for the price and if you have the guts breakfast is a freebie as well !!

If you want marble on your floor and a personal butler I suggest you spend more than you would on a suit and book into Gleneagles for a night.

Would I go back ? definitely. Would I recommend it? obviously.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LoveStreet
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Lanzarote:Sol Lanzarote Matagorda,23 Aug 2 wks.Reviewer Jen Spence Co Down,N Ireland. 3Eleven months after first booking our holiday we arrived at the hotel.We had just spent the best part of 8 or so hours travelling including getting up at 2.30am to travel from Newry to Belfast to catch our 6.20ish am flight.We travelled with First Choice who were excellent both flight attendants and the dishy pilot(Canadian i think).As we had made the decision to really enjoy this holiday we had paid for seating together and also at the hotel a SEA VIEW!!.(both these cost extra),we even treated ourselves to champagne on the plane,lovely.Now the fun starts;when we arrived at the hotel very tired very hot and very thirsty,after being ignored by at least 3 members of front desk staff we were told we would have to wait at least 2 hours for our room.They were not cleaned or ready yet.We put our large case behind the reception desk and went to look for something to drink with our hand luggage and our travelling in clothes(not the coolist)As the bar does not open till 6ish and we didnt know about the pool bar we ventured out remembering we had all our money, passports,travellers cheques jewellery etc with us.While out we discovered a shop bought some water and had a sit down.On arriving back to check in we were ingored again in favour of some Spanish guests, this turned out to be a regular occurance.Anyway we were allocated our room and sent of with a map and some not very clear verbal instructions.On arrival at our room we were so glad to get in and then,,,,a palm tree, the biggest on i have ever been able to touch right at the window completely obscuring our PAID FOR sea view.Straight back down to reception another "are we invisible moment"and then we got another room.More maps more garbeled instructions and of we went.The room well,if you positioned yourself at the very right hand side of the balcony and peered over to your left you could just about get a glimpse of the PAID FOR sea view.By this stage we were so tired we gave up!.By this time it was after 4.00pm so we decided our best bet was to see the rep at the Fri morning meeting.That night i had the worst,most uncomfortable nights sleep, my feet were higher than my head and I was lying at an angle;up I got at 3.30am and shifted my bed around,there was no difference.The next morning I stripped the bed flipped it over and found the reason for my discomfort was the bed was completely split in two and a large metal bar was sticking through the middle right into my back!.Could it get any worse?.We headed of to find the rep complete with photos,and there he was,amazing.Some other families from all over the UK and Ireland were there to,mostly with the complaint of being totally blanked at reception.After sorting out their problems he came to our room saw it and the bed and went back to reception.He was seen straight away we were promised a new room maybe today but could be tomorrow and a new bed.Happy now?I think not; our new bed arrived a childrens camp bed, 2 feet too short and a foot too low.The phone rang, a room would be ready for us today I repacked and of we headed again down to reception to be told the room would be ready at 3.00pm,it was 11.00am.Case behind counter again hand luggage in hand and of to the pub!!.Totally peeved we arrived back at 3 were given the obligatory map and of we went.By the way these rooms are NOT easy to find.In we went..... yippie a sea view, unbroken beds what more could we ask for,well maybe a safe that worked; another 2 hours before anyone came to fix it,oh, and the lovely German family that walked right into our room with obviously the key card for our room(just as well they were'nt robbers!!!.Did i mention the mildew on the curtains and the broken rail,not worth bothering about really but we do have pictures. BE WARNED take no lip and stand your ground,remember YOU paid for this holiday.I will never be back in the Sol and I will not be telling anyone I know to stay there.I will just mention the resort itself;a couple of really good restaurants,the Sirocco and the Paradise Beach slightly expensive but great food and in the same area you must go to La Brisa excellent food lovely staff very reasonable and the best brekkie for 2.95euroes.If you like Chinese go to the Peking Cuisine its upstairs near Dreamers bar also good a nice Scottish breakfast.I wanted to come home after three days but my partner convinced me to stay.All I wanted was what I had looked foward to all year.We both worked hard for this and were both very let down.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Fussy-cow
#25 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero

Been to Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive? Share your experiences!