“Nice but not central”

Ranked #28 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice but not central”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is nice and clean, with spacious rooms. Staff are also very friendly. A lot of people we're provided with the wrong directions to there rooms as staff didn't know. As this is a large complex it was a bit frustrating with your cases being sent in the wrong directions. Many had the the same problem.
In terms of distance, it is a 35 minute walk to the start of the new town. There are a couple of shops/pubs in close proximity however they would be small and dated.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank viv e
Sollanzarote, Quality Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear viv e,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to know that you found the hotel nice and clean. On the other hand I am sorry to read our location was not to your satisfaction, as it is one of our strengths. It is true we are not in the center of Puerto del Carmen, I have to say is more quiet here and the beach lovely, but just 5 minutes away by taxi.

In addition to that I apologize for the confusion on arrival to find your room. It is true the complex is quite big but we have tried to design the map as simple as possible and signs all the way through.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you back with us again.

Regards,

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 30 June 2014

First impressions are good. The hotel is very clean in an ideal location. Entertainment is a bit hit and miss. Food was good if you don't mind the cats or sharing your pastries and cereals with the birds.
Staff. Huge disappointment. Fining staff in particular. I have a disabled son on a wheelchair. We sat at a table with a disabled sign on it and were promptly asked to move as it was set for four people and there was only three of us. I refused stating that there were no other tables to which we could accommodate a wheelchair. The lady huffed and puffed and walked off. My son accidentally knocked over a glass of squash. I went to the same lady to ask is she had something to clean it up. She looked at me didn't respond and carried on setting tables. I was a little shocked and after a few minutes of sitting with squash around our feet I realised that she had no intention of helping us. I complained. At reception I was told that perhaps it wasn't her job and it was a cleaners. NO EXCUSE!!!! All the staff in the dining area were not welcoming, no meet and greet, no smiles, no conversations and on one occasion my son was told/shown how to put his cutlery if he was finished eating his meal (whilst he was still eating) this could be my sons last holiday given the nature of his disability and we couldn't wait to get home. Good luck in asking for a manager. Staff were very reluctant to do this. Whilst someone eventually came to our aid, we received no apology. We shall not be returning again.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Tracie535,

I am shocked by the experience that you described in your review. First of all thank you for taking the time to let us know and secondly I apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that we may have caused to you. I can tell you this is not Sol Lanzarote and I would have been happy if I had the opportunity to talk to you while you were staying with us to discuss it a little further.

I can guarantee there is not a problem to ask for a manager here if required, but it might be that during the evening time the manager is not available. I would always contact you the following day but I do not seem to have any records from you.

I am sorry that you do not mention anything about the animation team, our pool area, the rooms, etc. It is unfortunate that the misbehavior of one person at the restaurant may change in such a big measure your experience in our hotel. I am deeply sorry for that and I will try to investigate a little further.

Thank you again and we hope you reconsider and give us another opportunity to make you feel like most of our guests, happy.

Our kindest regards,

Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

well it all started when we booked the junior suite with a view.it cost an extra 1000 pounds we arrived all looked good until we looked inside room very dated the balcony had one above it so there was no sun for 14 days .breakfast was passible but lunch and evening meal was stodge and 5 days into the holiday I ate fish fingers and ended up in bed for 4 days with food poisoning,the managers answer to my wifes complaint was oh well one person out of several thousand is not bad.the hotel called the doctor who charged 155 euros just to come to the hotel.there was a good side the entertainment was excellent I would not go there again we have stayed several times at the moromar which is a 3 star it knocks spots of of the sol which is sertainly not a 4 star hotel dave and jan

3 Thank david g
Sollanzarote, Quality Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear david g,

I am sorry first of all that we could not meet your expectations on your holiday and I would like to apologize if we may have caused any inconvenience during your stay.

I regret to read that you did not like the Suite with views but I would like to mention that an upgrade to the Suite with views cost 26€ just per day which is a great value and is very demanded by many of our guests.

In addition to that I am sorry to read that you had health problems during your stay in Lanzarote but I do not agree with all the information provided in your review. As far as I know you were informed that we follow very strict APPCC controls in our product manipulation by a top leading audit company, and no other person in the hotel had reported the same problem as yours, therefore we could not accept responsibility for it. We serve more than 700 meals per day and it is buffet type so everyone in the restaurant get the same products.

I am sorry as well that you did not found the buffet to your liking. We try to cater very different tastes and you may find salads, soups, pasta, steamed vegetables, rice, stews, eggs, pizza, siders, meat and fish option cooked on the grill on spot, etc. Any suggestion would be very appreciated to take it into consideration.

On the other hand I thank you for the time you have taken to write your thoughts and the nice words towards our entertainment team.

We hope you reconsider and give us another opportunity to satisfy your needs.

Best Regards,

Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a great week All Inclusive.Paid for a Sea View and well worth the extra.Room was great and food very good.Only complaints would be lack of staff.Only one Chef serving,One Barstaff on duty .This caused queues.Another complaint was people abusing the All inclusive which is not the Hotels fault.Going to the bar and getting drinks for non all inclusive guests.The resort is great and suitable for families and couples.Would definitely return.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sollanzarote, Quality Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear efcmark,

Thank you so much for your positive and negative feedback, both will equally be taken into consideration as we always find them very useful. I am happy that overall you found our hotel great and most importantly that you had a good experience with us.

My apologies if you found lack of staff at some point but, to be completely honest with you, unfortunately we have to adjust the staff levels and give them pending holiday as soon as the occupancy goes down otherwise we might have big problems in busy periods. Nonetheless we always follow a good staff ratio and of course will never leave any service unattended.

Thank you very much again and we hope you decide to visit us again very soon.

Regards,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Brilliant family hotel, very clean with friendly staff and fun entertainment. The food is the usual All inc/snack bar fayre. My only complaint is they do day trips for 60-100 children that completely take over the hotel staff and facilities

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank angmilla77
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am very glad that you found our hotel brilliant.

In regards to those school trips let me inform you that it just happen once or twice during the month of June as it is the end of school term. They are clients same as other guests but we try to keep them busy with our hard working entertainment team. I understand it was a couple of mornings so I hope it did not make a big difference in your overall experience.

We wait for your next visit to Lanzarote!

Kind regards,

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Since coming back from our weeklong trip to Sol Lanzerote in June 14, my boyfriend and I couldn’t wait to give the positive feedback on our fantastic holiday experience. Before leaving we were a little apprehensive about it due to the handful of bad reviews. We can honestly say that these people must have been walking around the hotel with a magnifying glass for error/VERY picky eaters!

We arrived at our hotel within around 10mins by shuttle transfer (the first stop) so no need to spend double on a private taxi! Although close to the airport, the plane noise was barely noticeable. After a very polite and easy check in, we found our room easily which was on the top floor with a sea view (worth paying extra for!!). It was a spacious room with a huge bed, good air con, big bathroom, and a big flat screen TV. Only drawback being that the floor seemed dusty, leaving our feet grubby. Good location, a wide variety of restaurants, touristy shops, a supermarket, excursion, bike hire etc 5 mins walk along the beach to the left, and 10 mins away to the right. Golden sandy beach is on the doorstep with plenty of sunbeds, not very busy.

Around the pool there were a lot of sunbeds and space (even for those who don’t wake up at 8am and fling their towels down). With three pools, adults, kids and baby, it was easy to find your ideal location. For us this was away from the kids, nice and relaxing! For the kids, there was entertainment in the pool throughout the day.

All staff were friendly, helpful and happy. Their English was good and we always felt looked after. Included in this was the complimentary sun care lady who visited the poolside most days to advise holidaymakers of how best to get tanned without painful sunburn. We came back browner than ever!

One thing I cant stress enough is the complaints about the food are stupid! At breakfast the hotel literally caters for all tastes, there is freshly cooked pancakes, fried eggs and omlettes. Also typical full English breakfast foods, toast, warm bread, a choice of cereals, amazing pastries, fresh fruit, yoghurt.. Everything!! Lunch and dinner were quite similar, with a large variety of choices for kids and adults, always with two fresh meat and fish options. Desserts were delicious. Although we didn’t get anything, the snack bar was very extensive! Pizzas, sandwiches, burgers etc made to order, also a small buffet for if you want to grab something quickly. Drinks always available. Plates were always taken away swiftly, soft drinks could be a little flat sometimes though, machine was a bit temperamental.

Last but not least… the kittens! On your way to the restaurant you bypass the home of 4 little kittens and their mum. Fed and watered by the management, these cute little fuzzballs could keep you entertained for hours! Learning to walk and play-fighting with their mums tail, it really created a family atmosphere!

8 Thank Shamazing-Reviewers
Dear Shamazing-Reviewers,

I am very happy to read your review and most of all that we exceded your expectations! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience.

In regards to your drawback about the floor, it is true the tiles of the rooms are of rustic style and they are quite porous. If we add the phenomenon typical of this area called Calima which is sand brought by the wind, it makes very difficult to keep the floor tidy at all times. My apologies for that.

In any case you left with a wonderful experience and that is the most important for us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon!

Best Regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Had an amazing time at this hotel, the staff are lovely and great with the kids lots of good entertainment for all the family. There are also lots of nice bars and restaurants within walking distance our favourite was sirocco, we stayed in room 1331 from the 12th to the 23rd of June it had lovely views of the mountains wish we where still there, would definitely go back again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sollanzarote, Quality Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Andy M,

An amazing time for you, an amazing feeling for us!
Thank you so much for your lovely words. Remember to request the room number you like prior arrival as we always try to provide the preferences as long as it is in our hands.

We will be waiting for your return!

Kind regards,