“Not a friendly atmosphere”
Review of Plaza Azul

Plaza Azul
Ranked #43 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I found this hotel very driery with little life/atmosphere. The hill up to the hotel from the main strip is really quite & airy I wouldn't recommend walking up alone. There was a man working at the hotel who was creepy towards my friend and I, he made us feel very uncomfortable. The apartments themselves are absolutely tiny. They are clean though. The hotel shop is tiny with little food and the food that they do have looks like it has been there quite a while. Would not recommend this place

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Ray S

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We just arrived home this morning after spending 7 days here. The apartment itself is ok, for what we paid, basic but clean which is what you expect really, unfortunately for us we had to move rooms 2 days after arriving due to a water leak, they didnt apologise or anything we came back to fnd our stuff moved into the living area and a workmen removing tiles off of the wall. My husband and myself are disabled and this did add a but of stress as we had to pack and move all of our stuff, although this is prob an isolated incident,t he staff didnt really offer enough help I felt.

The complex itself is based on a hill, but a taxi isnt expensive, if like us you have mobilitly issues. The ground floor apartments dont have private balconies, and the main entrance to the apartment is through the patio doors, I would recommend a first floor apartment here, if you dont have any disabilities that is.

The pool is large, and the sunbeds are available, its 2 euros to hire a cushion, for those who havent been to Lanzarote, it is very windy and the mornings are cloudy up until about 11am, so if you want bright sunshine everyday and to be by the pool early, then Im not sure this island is for you, although its a lovely place and the people are very friendly.

There is no entertainment in this complex and the bar doesnt open every night, we arrived in at 1130 on sunday and were refused a drink as they had stopped serving, there is a pool bar and an inside bar/restaurant, this is run separatley to the hotel, and they open when they want. The only place to get a drink/snacks during the day is the pool bar, and with the high winds we encountered all week it wasnt the best set up to be honest.

Overall I have mixed reviews of the Plaza Azul, and wouldnt want to put people off as not everyone wants the same thing, but if you like some entertaiment, either during the day for the children or in the evening ,and to be able to have drink when ever you want, then maybe this place isnt for you.

Room Tip: Id advise an upstairs apartment as there are no private balconies here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank gypsy19652
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I never leave reviews but I believe this place deserves it. I stayed here with mh boyfriend, Ihad great contact with Leo via email who works there before we even got there.He sorted us out the room we wanted and ensured us that someone would be there to welcome us at 1am. Please do not read the negative reviews, I didnt get a single good nights sleep here after reading some scary/worrying reviewa.im a young girl and do not want to be reading some of these reviews.yes there was banging from time to time but this is because you are on the canary islands which are windy. Not their fault.the pool is huge and clean, the maid comes everyday, she speaks very little English but still tries. For the amount of money we paid for this place through travel republic we are amazed how good it was.
Please judge this place for yourself, dont expect 5 star and dont blame the complex for ang idiots staying there at the same time as you.

• Stayed: July 2014
9  Thank Smr7191
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked this hotel conplex as we had been here before a couple of years ago, what a difference a couple of years make.
This place is ok for couples of whatever persuesion but totally unsuitable for a family except maybe with one infant.Having said that overall we have had a good experience although there is very little going on, bar opening and closing times are erratic what passes for a supermarket is more like a small storeroom, there is a good shop on the opposite side of the road and an even larger one further down.
its proximity to the beach and the town is a plus and the bus stop/parade is only five minutes up the main road. Convenient for trips out to playa blanca or costa teguisa and most places in between.
you may have to accept rowdy 18 to 20 somethings returning from the late bars and clubs, if you are a normally rowdy 18 to 20 something please don't shout all the time, when you stagger back in the early morning, being sick in the swimming pool is frowned upon and may cost you.

Room Tip: This depends on how sociable you want to be the second floor rooms have balconies 26a and along tha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ixtis16
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having visited this resort before and knowing the area, I carefully picked this hotel as being 18th out of 84 hotel in Puerto Del Carmen according to Tripadvisor at the time, the advice has served me well in the past. This is the first time I have ever slated a hotel. I believe you get what you pay for but this is in desperate need of some money to be spent on it.
I stayed on 21st April 2014 with my 2 children here for less than 36 hours and that was more than enough in the Easter break. I realised it was cheap but for crying out loud. It is really basic. I mean really basic. Towels thread bare, shower curtains stained, inside of the microwave disgusting, beds rock hard and stained. From my experience , if you want to go out and get plastered and need somewhere to lay your head, or you are absolutely desperate to get away under any circumstances, then this is the place for you. I do understand that the apartments to the right hand side of the complex have been uprated but the 3 we had/offered, were really poor, with the first two having wooden French doors that had been repair many a time, I felt security could be an issue.
The front desk staff were nice enough, although they had to make telephone calls on everything they did? The first apartment was ok but not the 3* as stated through Onthebeach.com but had a nice private area to the rear with sun beds, so we unpacked. The builder returned from his break and started on the apartment upstairs with a hammer drill taking plaster off the walls, this work continued all the time we were here. I immediately asked to be moved and they offered us an apartment right opposite the slop from reception which had the window to the rear half way bricked up and smelt of damp. The bathroom ceiling was covered in black mould above the bath. I asked for another apartment and was told they had one on the road side of the complex. We live on a busy road, so no problem. First floor, bigger, balcony, nice views,bed cover was ripped but they changed it immediately. Fine. Pool absolutely freezing going from 1.2m to 1.9m I doubt it ever gets even above freezing. My youngest lips were blue on coming out after a short while. Never mind, the beach was a short walk and is lovely. The paint was also peeling off the sides of the tiny kiddies pool area when we were there. The fire evacuation notice on the back of the apartment door did say if you find any loose electrical wires, please inform reception. A bit worrying as the electrical point above the kitchen sink was loose! See pictures. It was a reasonable walk down to the sea front, down hill but not really steep. First night woken up by such a bang and roar, I thought there had been a car crash outside the hotel, I looked out but couldn't see anything but the noise continued. I was so tired I waited until morning and asked at the reception and they told me it was the boiler. Second night, woken up continually by the boiler right beside our apartment cutting in and out, people coming in drunk and by 6.15 I was heading to reception, as this is the only place where you can get internet access, to get number of Onthebeach, who I booked through. Met a nice Irish sounding lady from the apartment under mine, having a cigarette outside, who couldn't understand what woke her up so early. I told her and wished her good luck. Onthebeach were brill. They rang me back with options, sorted another hotel, I paid the extra and left. I did ask the reception for my deposit back for the safe but they said I had paid for the week and didn't even give me any money back. I left in disgust, and a taxi picked us up and took us to a fantastic hotel in the same resort, worlds away in every way from this hotel. Oh and previous comments were right, don't go half board as the price of the food there can be matched on the front and even a little cheaper. In fact with children, don't go!

Room Tip: Go for a top floor apartment as the ground floor are not very secure, wooden patio door which have b...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan D
Reviewed 3 July 2014

loved it here went in april with my bf
place was in great location to everything even old town which had a brill market on a friday night.
The rooms are big and kitchen is fine for doin a small amount of cooking... Are room was cleaned almost everyday and fresh towels ever second day
pool is big enough compared to most on the island and sunloungers are only ok bit hard.
staff are great and friendly to and there's free wifi in reception as well as pool table and games room to
overall its a lovely place at great price!!
comin back in november with my parents.

Room Tip: a15 is lovely pool view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank holls12
Reviewed 28 June 2014

stayed for 10 days from the 6th june 2014,we had apartment no15A which had a balcony overlooking the pool and a balcony off the bedroom with a beautiful seaview.all the staff were very friendly and helpful.the compex is kept very clean ,with a lovely pool and snack bar, internet connection in the reception area and is only a 5 minute walk down a hill to the main beach with many shops and places to eat.the rooms have everything you need and I would definitely go back to plaza Azul if we come back to lanzarote the complex was very quiet with plenty of sunbeds available whatever time you wanted to go and sunbathe..cant fault the plaza Azul apartments.

Room Tip: room 15A is at the far end of the swimming pool next to the staircase upto the roof terrace,it has a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple