“Back Again! Happy Again!!”
Review of Bitacora Club

Bitacora Club
Ranked #28 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 27 June 2012

After having a brilliant week here in March we decided to revisit. We had planned to go 4* all inclusive in Benidorm, however after having such a great time in March we went for 2* self catering again and were just, if not more than happy. After emailing Geraldine, the manager, we were lucky enough to get exactly the same apartment, which was as expected, spotless and kitted out with all our needs. The whole place is spotless, the staff are polite, friendly and helpful, and a credit to the complex. There are 2 pools, a kiddies pool and adults pool. Not sure about the little pool but the adults pool is not heated, however it was still widely used. There are also plenty of sunbeds and you have no problem getting one, no matter what time you decide to sit round the pool. We didnt eat at the pool bar, but the meals did look good. We ate out every night and 4 out of 7 nights we ate at Pinochio's restaurant, which we cannot rate highly enough. The specials menu eveynight for us!
The weather was great, we just missed the heathwave, luckily, and again the holiday was fantastic. We will be back there in October all being well and hopefully get the same apartment.
If its your first time in Peurto del Carmen give the Bitacora a whirl, you wont be disappointed, cause believe me I am very fussy! Thank you Geraldine & Staff :-)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sausanni

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We have just returned from a weeks break in Puerto Del Carmen staying at the Bitacora. The staff were all really friendly and helpful. The apartments are basic but clean and the cleaners are always coming round emptying bins and changing your towels. We found the hill not a problem and we had a baby in a buggy. We found the apartments central and if you turn left at top of hill walk down the street it takes you down to the old part to the indoor shopping centre and lovely eating places as well. Everyone was friendly and we met a lot of nice people lots of irish who are always great fun. The security gates we found were always closed and you got a pin number to let yourself in after 10.30pm. This was our 2nd visit to puerto del carmen our first to bitacora and it won't be our last. The bar/restaurant was well run by Jen and her family who are delightful people and the food was great. Rodri are reception everytime we asked for something extra it was no problem we got it straight away. Going to definetely book again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank lorriscot
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed at the Bitacora in January 2012 and as soon as we got home we booked again and went on 12th June for 9 days just returning home this morning. Jen and family who run the bar/restaurant are so friendly and helpful and on leaving yesterday we told them we would be back soon. They could not do enough for you and we had a brillant time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed here Jan/Feb 2012 and were really happy, everything was clean, small shop on site open til 10pm clean pools and a snack bar, the room did have air con which you have to pay for but I don't know if its in all the rooms so you need to ask, they have a website and this is how we booked. Puerto del carmen is fantastic loads of places to eat for all budgets, the beach is windy and the place is hilly but thats the canaries,the hill is easily walkable but taxi's cheap 2 euro to avoid the hill to the shops or beach, we sunbathed and had only one day of cloud over the two weeks we were there. Staff are friendly and nice.

Room Tip: book direct and ask for a pool view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank carrieemz
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on three occasions and have been very pleased every time and would be happy to stay here again. Every time the staff have been friendly, the service has been great, the rooms and the pool area have always been clean. The apartments are basic but at such a cheap price that was too be expected.

There is a great security system here, on check in you will recieve a pin number for the gate. The gate closes in the night and you use this pin to get in. I think this is a great system and i was lot less worried about things getting stolen. You hear so many sad stories about peoples money, cameras , etc getting stolen whilst on holiday. And you wont get this problem here as you need to be staying at the apartments to have the pin.

The only one downside of this hotel is the fact it is situated right at the top of the STEEEEPEST hill. Which is an absolute killer to walk. Going down is not too bad, but coming back, especially in the evening was very hard work. After doing this the first two nights we started to get taxis back which cost approx 3 euros. Which is cheap as chips so there was a plus.

I would highly recommend anybody to stay here. I stayed once with my partner, once with friends and once with children. And it was great on all three different types of holiday. The bita cora is an all around winner.

One tip i do have though is not to buy from the small shop adjoined to the apartments. It is very very overprices. There is a shop 5 minutes down the road that sells all the smae things at half the price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank chickaboo2912
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just back after a week at Bitacora Club. Be warned large hill to the strip but taxis available at good value. After reading some of the prev reviews of this premises i was pleasantly surprised, firstly upon arrival we were greeted by the friendly man at reception who informed us of different things we needed to know about premises e.g safe deposit boxes, security code for gate. We arrived at our room where i was expecting to be greeted by cockroaches as people have commented that it was rooms on the lower tier that they've seen them, we however found none rooms were spotless and spacious also the block we were in had air con which is a must have on the hotter days. Apt consisted of 1 living area/kitchenette tv also, bathroom, bedroom all of good size, very spacious wardrobe hangers provided. Pool area was always clean and there was plenty of sun loungers to go round. Pool bar was very clean and well managed and staffed in particular by Jack who makes an amazing fry up service with a smile all for good value. Patrons are provided with a security code for the gate at check in for after hours and providing everyone closes the gate after them there should be no issues with security. Reception closes at about 9pm every evening. Supermarket attached is good value with friendly staff. Overall very satisfied with stay and definitely will return to Bitacora Club :D

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Anthony E
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed in the Bitacora aparmentsts last Sept for a week with my boyfriend. Apartments lovely, basic, clean, had all the essentials for self catering, no complaints..... except the security!!!!!!. We had heard so many stories about break in's both in these apts and throughout Lanzarote itself. There had been break in's the week before we arrived, and numerous reviewers talk about arriving to Bitacora and seeing police there after other break in's. Frightening, especially when you have spent a lot of money to have a relaxing holiday. We are returning this July for two weeks, intended to book these apartments again, on the condition that they had made the place more safe. I emailed the manager a few days ago asking specifically what had been done to make the place more safe. I was frustrated that there seems to be a careless attitude towards the safety of guests and their belongings.

This was my email:
"To whom it concerns,

I am looking to book two weeks, possibly at Bitacora in July. I was there last September. However I still have serious issues with the lack of security. The locks on the doors, and general security of the apartments made me feel very unsafe, and this should not be a concern for people just trying to enjoy a low key holiday. Ye have had so many burglaries over the years it is unacceptable. I honestly do not believe ye put the safety of ye're customers as a priority.

Now I realise ye will say ye have made changes, and it is now more secure, but I would like to know IF infact ye have made changes, what these are, and have they been effective in reducing burglaries.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bitacora and would like to return, however I will not live in fear for two weeks.

Many thanks

Fiona."

and just got the rudest reply:

"HI Fiona
My name is Geraldine Mcc Fadden , and I am the Manager here at Bitacora.
First of all, I would like to point out, that the door locks work perfectly well. When closed properly. And robberies only occur when people do not lock them as required. This has always been the case.
We are in the process of getting security cameras installed. And they should be fit in the coming weeks.
However, I really think if you have concerns about the security you would be better to book somewhere else. We would not be happy to take your reservation
I do not like being told we do not take the security of our guests seriously. When the same guests are told time and again, to make sure they understand the system of the doors and lock them correctly. And to close the secuirty gate after them.
We are a 2 star complex, that charges accordingly, and do not have a budget for a secuirty man.
I do hope you find a complex that suits you, and where you will not have to live in fear for 2 weeks.
That is not what we want for our guests, nor for someone to come and instill that fear in them.
Regards
Geraldine"

Maybe I am over reacting but I took that response to be rude and honestly highlights their lack of concern. Will be booking different apartments.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple