Just back from a weeks stay at bitacora. The location is good, a short walk to the main strip and beach,however there is steep hill which would be an issue for people with walking difficulties. There is a supermarket on site which is very handy! The bar staff are lovely so this review in no way tarnishes them for whats going to be said! Going to bitacora we knew it was 2 star accommodation so we weren't expecting the ritz, having said that there are some things that we do expect when staying somewhere. Our first issue was a dead cockroach under the bin press, fine it's dead but it would of been nice if the apartment had a proper clean before we came in, obviously we don't know how long it was there but as we arrived in the middle of the day I know it didn't die just before we arrived( as cockroaches are nocturnal, apart from the ones in Asia) . We were staying in room 103, if anyone is booking at bitacora ask not to be put in 103, the view is a wall facing your double doors and there is a small view of the pool, which isn't that much of an issue, what is an issue with this room,is its location, the supermarket is right beside it so other people staying at bitacora frequently walk by. When the reception closes you have to use the side gate, this is also right beside 103, so at night you keep hearing the bid steel gate opening and closing, when the people are walking down to the gate, you could nearly swear they were in your living room, the sound really follows through the wall, also the supermarket has a fan type thing on top of it, so that goes off the whole night, the sound travelling into the apartment, it's more of an annoyance and it's not really a sound you could just " get used too" . If you wanted privacy/comfort in this room the living room curtains had to be closed due a lot of residents having to pass by. Inside apartment 103 is,well, neglected. Over the kitchen presses there is a large gap the length of these units,it looks like the wall was just hammered out and inside the gap we discovered a really old looking cockroach trap (in our opinion this apartment needs more than just a trap) a lot of people wouldn't see this but as we are both tall it was a sight we had to see every day and was possibly the reason cockroaches got in so easily. behind the safety deposit box is another bad sight to see, there really is a good few gaps in this apartment that should looked at, it really makes it easy for the ants and cockroaches to get in. Lob sided shelves in the wardrobe too that look like they're about to give way any day now. So back to the cockroaches, as I said we seen the dead one, but as everyone knows, where there's one there's going to be more... Woke up during the night on Tuesday to get something from the kitchen, and there was one running past the fridge. Yuck! So the Wednesday afternoon @ 2.15 we went to reception to report this, only to find no one at the desk, so we went into the pool bar to ask the lad if he knew where the receptionist was, he told us that the receptionist wouldn't be back until 4, and if there was anything he could help with. We just said ehh well we have cockroaches, and he kindly gave us some spray. If there was no receptionist around surely a notice should be left on the desk?! any way we sprayed the apartment, and that was that, or so we thought, we were up early saturday morning only to find we had a guest in our bedroom, another cockroach. It's a shame really. Enough about the lodgers. Thursday morning our water was cut off for nearly 2 hours, we received no notice that it was being cut off, so eh showers,toilets, washing hands all of that kinda stuff was a no go! Now as I've said the bar staff were lovely and this is nothing to do with their cooking as everything was cooked perfectly, we ordered a chicken and bacon sandwich and a breakfast but both meats were like rubber! kind of like the ones you buy frozen, again it was nothing to do with the cooking, just the choice of food being bought to cook. The pool was lovely, perfect size for the complex, plenty of sun loungers, there is a pool table on site as well which was good! Oh yeah the tv had a mind of it's own too, at times you'd be able to hear it but you'd be watching a black screen, our ceiling fan clicked like mad so having that on wasn't really a good option either.
I think we would of had a more enjoyable experience had we of been in an upper level apartment away from the side entrance/supermarket. Pest control really was the main issue here and maybe the apartment should be looked into further based on what we experienced for the week.
All staff were lovely but we won't be returning!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you are looking for good value and great location, quiet, yet within easy walking distance of the old town, and main promenade, then look no further. Our 2 star complex is clean and well appointed. All apartments have kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge and 2 ring hob. The bedroom has 2 single beds. The living room has a sofa which doubles up as a single bed. The apartments sleep 3. But if kids are small (under 12) we can take a 4th person. For this you have a rollaway bed, and a supplement of 5 euro per day. Cots for infants are free. We change the sheets once a week, towels twice a week and clean your apartment 3 times a week. If you require extra towels, sheets, you can order these from reception for a charge. We have one block which has air con. This is the block with pool view and sun all day long. The supplement for the air con is 5 euro per day. From June to end of October, we do not accept requests for this block, as it is only available for those who wish to avail of the aircon (and pay the 5 euro supplement). Our TV, which is free, has ITV, Sky News, BBC1, RTE 1 and RTE 2. We have a friendly family run pool bar which provides breakfast and snacks throughout the day. 3 nights a week there is dinner and entertainment. Reception is open from 09.00 to 13.00 and from 16.00 to 21.00.WE NOW HAVE WIFI! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Onthebeach, Jet2Holidays , Priceline, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Superbreak UK, HotelsClick and Agoda so you can book your Bitacora Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bitacora Club Hotel Puerto Del Carmen
- Bitacora Hotel Puerto Del Carmen
- Bitacora Club Lanzarote/Puerto Del Carmen