“How things change......”
Review of Hotel THB Flora

Hotel THB Flora
Ranked #32 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I arrived at the Flora on 30th March for a 3 week stay.

Before you read this you should note this would be my 10th stay at Flora Apartmentos - so I know how it has been, and can compare it with how it is now.

I had booked an apartment which slept up to 4 people even though I was expecting to be on my own for most of my stay- my sister and her husband joined me for a week.

When I informed reception this was to be,they charged me an extra €10 a night for them. I explained that I thought I had booked an apartment for 4 people and the fact that I was on my own for 14 days didn't count.....(err sorry I cannot see the difference...I thought it was a basic room rate and as long as you didn't exceed the occupancy number then this would be ok.)

I had also requested a specific room (well a choice of 4 rooms to be honest) when I booked and also when I confirmed my booking by email to them I said I would prefer a room to the side of the pool - and gave a choice of again 4. The room they allocated me was none of the eight I requested..... but stuck on a corner next to the Resident Cats Romantic rendezvous (- more of them later.)

As part of my previous email I had also checked that wifi was available throughout the hotel and I checked again at reception on my arrival- oh yes there was no problem as long as you used one device at a time. I purchased 3 days to start with and then 7days after....what a waste of money that was....so much so that (when I had access) I emailed the wifi supplier who sent someone out to see what the problem was_ they said my room had no coverage!!!!!! what a surprise. I had informed reception but they said no-one else had a problem !!!! No refund offered from the hotel but the wifi supplier gave me a refund on my 7 days prior to the new locator being installed. After the new locator was installed the signal strength was better but not great -off most of the nights and certainly not worth the nearly €100 my sister and I spent on it -haha it's just gone off again as I write this by the pool!

As always the bar and restaurant staff were delightful, the cleaning ladies very smiley and helpful, and the pool and surrounding gardens and areas were spotless. I had company on my patio most days from one or other of the resident cats...and most nights they woke me with their night-time activities.

The sun beds need replacing - many are broken and all are very saggy - terrible for back pain sufferers. But at least they were not locked away any more ....revised this as today 17th April- locked up!!!! Oh dear.

The hotel was full and a very large party of spanish students was handled with fantastic care...they stayed in Flora II so maybe I would have seen or heard more of them if I had been over that way.

The entertainment was ok - both animation people tried hard to enthuse a mixed age and nationality audience - but with very little success. The table tennis table was moved next to the railings leading to the road - interesting watching the children run down the hill/road after their ball !!!

I didn't choose All Inclusive (though I considered it for the time when my family were not with me) but I know that at around €24 a day it is good value if you want to drink lots and eat good basic hotel food.

BUT remember there are some fantastic restaurants in Puerto Del Carmen and do give the bars and cafes a visit...the local economy needs you to go out of your hotel and experience around and about on the island.

Would I return again to the Flora?
If I had any of the rooms I asked for - maybe.
If the wifi was free or a nominal charge-maybe.
New sun beds.-Maybe.
Less cats- yes
Free TV - Yes
Free Iron-Yes
Fans in rooms - Yes.

And finally - at some point a child or an adult is going to have a serious accident after slipping on the edge of your pool. I know you paint it regularly with anti-slip but it isnt good enough and someone is going either be hurt badly or make a really big insurance claim against them.
-and they put me in room 101..hahaha.

Room Tip: Not 101 but any around the pool are quite nice.
4  Thank jacquiebaldwin
FcoJavierMartinez, Gerente at Hotel THB Flora, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Guest:
thank you for the reviws and the helpful comments. I have to say that I´m very sorry about the fact that we couldn´t provide the room that you requested, but we were so full that were not able to organize it beforehand.I´ll try my best next time (if you decide to come back....).
Sorry as well for the lack of signal on the wi-fi near your room.....we wouldn´t have realiced unless you told us, so, thank you very much.
For the time being, there is a few things to be carried out to improve our facilities (sunbeds, gamesroom, restaurant) and I hope that you give us the choice of showig all improvements to you in a visit in the near future. Do not hesitate to contacting me for any queries or to be kept up to date about the changes that are going to be made.
regards from Lanzarote

Write a ReviewReviews (1,957)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We returned this week from a weeks holiday at THB Flora in Lanzarote. Its our 3rd visit to Peurto del Carmen and previously we had stayed at 2 star Apartments however this time we thought a 3 star would be better and the fact it was closer to the marina. This hotel is split in two. On one side you have the all inclusive visitors with the larger pool (with lifeguard and cleaned regularly), larger rooms and pool bar etc. This part is really nice, plenty to do for kids and I could happily stay there for a week. Across the road you have the non-all-inclusive visitors, where we were staying. The rooms are smaller, terraces are blocked by overhanging trees, smaller pool that was full of leaves and generally in complete contrast to across the road. We arrived and was given the key to room 336. My wife used the word 'depressing' for the room, it was tiny, had not been cleaned, very dark and not as spacious or bright as the online pictures of the room show. We asked to move rooms however they were full and told us to ask tomorrow (we weren't the only ones at the reception asking the same). Accepting this, we thought oh well it was cheap for the week so what do we expect. That night we couldn't sleep as the noisy fridge is literally next to the beds. The next day after sunbathing we returned to the room to find the kitchen area swarmed with ants! I rung the reception 3 times until they finally sent the maid who took one look and said 'pack and go to reception, you cant stay here!' So we did, the hotel manager told us off for listening to the maid then gave us room 350. The room was the same layout but had not been cleaned since the previous occupants, we said were going out for tea so you have 2 hours to clean the room and confirmed with the maid on our way out. When we returned at 12am the room still had the previous occupants bed sheets. At this point we got the manager involved again who moved us to room 393. This was a larger room and was far better. From then on we had no further concerns but it was a shame it took 2 days to sort this. Overall, if you stay here I would say go all inclusive - the service and food looked good and you have a better chance of a nice room. If you like going to the beach I would avoid this hotel, the walk is long and a constant hill. However if you prefer to stay at the hotel it is fine. We walked to the beach every day to eat as the 'ant episode' put us off preparing food there. I wouldn't go back for the following 3 reasons: location, rooms, service we received. The only positive is the price however, I have already booked my return next April and I will be going back to the 2 star apartments which are cheaper and a far better room in a far better location.

Room Tip: Go all inclusive, the rooms are better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChantelleG G
FcoJavierMartinez, Gerente at Hotel THB Flora, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest: thank you for the comments, I have to say I´m sorry as I wasn´t aware of your case myself. I spoke to the reception manager that dealt with you and he told me the full story. Well the only ting I really regret is the fact that you were not told beforehand that Studios (cheapest units) are on the quiet side of the complex, as if you knew before, probably you would have paid the difference to get into the 1 bedroom apartments in the busy side instead. As you said, they are more espacious, better views and easier to access. The other thing I´m concerned about is the fact that you mention a couple of timse that the apartments were not clean before your arrival, and that is something inacceptable and I must do something to avoid it happening again.
Kind regards and sorry again, I hope you did enjoy it at the end and had the rest you were looking for. If you change your mind and decide to come back to us, do not hesitate to contacting me as I would love to take care of your party personally.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just returned from a weeks all inclusive at the flora hotel. Stayed in a one bedroom apartment that was very roomy and fit for purpose. Food was of a very good quality, not lots of choice but I'd take quality over quantity any day. Each night had a different theme. Can't really comment on entertainment as never watched any but there appeared to something on most days when I checked the board. Only thing did get involved with was that my children aged 5 and 3 made use of the splash area for kids, which was available at 12pm and 3pm. Only used pool area once as my children prefer to go to the beach. Playa chica was about a 15 min walk(a lovely little cove beach) and playa grande probably an extra 5 mins. Lots of bars nearby and also 5 mins down the hill is a superdino supermarket. There is a supermarket on the hotel complex but this is abit more expensive. I'd recommend paying the 3 euros in a taxi from puerto del carmen strip, just to save the walk up the torturous hill. (As well as the 20min walk!) It's not to bad on the evening when cooler but in the mid day heat it's painful! I would also recommend going down to the port area, very smart and sophisticated with some lovely bars and restaurants. One dour issue that annoyed us a little was that we requested to extend our room(30 euro cost)for another 5hours, 2 days prior to checkout to be told yes it would be fine but to arrange payment either one day before on the morning. So one day before went to pay, to be one told couldn't be done but to check back on morning of departure. So on morning of departure we asked again at 8am, still couldn't confirm if we could but to come back at 10am. Went back at 10am, to be told no. Ultimately this didn't dampen our experience here but wished they had just said no originally instead of messing us about.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank egdec82

Dear Guest: thank you for the kind comments and for the helpful instructions....on the other side, please accept my appologies on my Staff behalf as they where trying to help but obviously they failed at the end. Late check-outs when we are busy is hard to manage as the maids finish their shift at 4 o´clock and it depends if we are going to have any empty room on the day of your departure, and that´s why they kept you asking and asking again....I´m very sorry about it. We will do it much better next time.
Kind regards from Lanzarote

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Just back from a week at Hotel THB Flora. It was great value and quality. The staff are excellent on reception in the bar, the restaurant and cleaning. Food in the restaurant is excellent quality and value for money. The all inclusive option makes this a really good deal. The apartments are good quality, simple clean and most with great views over the pool and sea. It is just a short walk from Puerto Del Carmen harbour with lots of shops restaurants and lovely beaches. Special thanks to our lovely Chambermaid Pacqui Ramirez, who couldn't have been more helpful and to all those who looked after us so magnificently during our stay. Top marks Hotel THB Flora!

Room Tip: First floor overlooking the pool and sea were great!
3  Thank CarmelSthYorkshire

Dear Guest:
thank you for choosing us, we are glad to hear that you had a nice time. I´ll pass the message to the maid (Paqui). Hope you have the choice to come back one day....
Regards

Reviewed 30 April 2014

we stayed here in may 2013 ..Nice hotel however it is seperated into 2 parts by a main road, The food was average but always something to eat the hotel was
kept very clean and the staff are very friendly. the entertainment was the same as everywhere else if you have seen a show somewhere else you can guarantee its going.
to be the same the hotel has 2 pools the main pool in the main part of the hotel was nice, the smaller quieter 1 over the road was so deep its impossible to touch the bottom and was freezing cold however the area around this pool was a sun trap absolutely baking hot and much quieter compared to the main 1 .. The shops are a fair walk away but lots of them there is a decent shopping centre on the main strip which is worth a walk down to.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kristie735

Dear Guest:
thank you for the kind and useful comments. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us. Hope to see you back around soon.
Regards from Lanzarote

Reviewed 26 April 2014

one of the best hotels i have stayed in with children, .i have a 5 and 15 year old girls and was able to keep both happy and any one who has teenagers knows happy teenager happy parent .spotless clean

4  Thank Derek M

Dear Guest:
thanks for the kind comments, it was easy to do our job with such a nice family!!!! Hope to see you back in the near future.
regards

Reviewed 25 April 2014

You will be amazed by the quality of the Flora when you consider what you have paid. Nice practical accommodation, excellent pools and facilities, what struck me was how clean and in order everywhere was. Best of all though are the staff in both the bar and reception, nothing is too much trouble and I can compliment Paco the General Manager on running a really great holiday destination. We will be back for sure

3  Thank woodhousetim

Dear Guest: thank you for the compliments...I will let all the Staff know that thay are doing a good job. My commitment to keep improving. Regards and see you soon back around.