“our annual trip”

Ranked #37 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“our annual trip”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Just returned from our annual holiday at the Flora with my daughter and grandchildren aged 13,11, and 2 years old it is always a pleasure to stay at the Flora with there dedicated staff from the receptionists to the cleaners they have worked at the Flora many years and it shows in there commitment and enthusiasm to making your holiday special. There is a new manager at the hotel holding everything together he is very approachable if you have any serious concerns.
Our holiday was a little more special this year with the addition of the animators Lois, Vanessa and Yasmina they kept the children entertained from 11am till 1pm starting with the hotel group dance to playing water polo, darts, table tennis, pool games then in the afternoon from 3pm to 5pm there was always something different to do even little Rachel the 2year old played with the building bricks on the stage area which is in the main seating area so you can keep an eye on the little ones there is also a children's disco at 9pm every night except on Sundays. There is also an adult entertainment programme during the day join in if you wish, Lois has much energy and is committed to giving you the best time possible. In the evening there is some entertainment mostly live music although one evening the team put together a very entertaining little sketch which is very amusing.

The food at the Flora has always been a good 3star quality but this year there were many new dishes on the menu the restaurant has been extended so is very spacious the chef is charming and very hands on to answer any questions you may have. Evening dinner is themed my favourite is the Mexican night then the Italian dinner but then again there's the American night excellent.

I notice from other reviews the situation re the sunbeds yes it is a problem which management are aware of and are trying to resolve but the Flora is a friendly and family originated hotel especially in July and August, the area around the pool in Flora 1 is small in comparison to larger hotels but this gives it that friendly feel and by talking to mums and dads by the pool that's what a lot of people like. Sunbeds are opened up about 9am after the pool and walking areas have been cleaned for your health and safety it's only in July and August people seem to clamber for the beds and not only for a bed but for the position they want, I personally think it's fair not to reserve a bed with a towel and the lifeguard will remove a towel if a bed is not used within a reasonable time, if you can't get to the pool till later in the day have a word with the lifeguard (she works from 10am to 6pm)she may be able to get you a bed.

If like me you have had a holiday with the grandchildren give the Flora a go in the quieter months in spring all the flowers are in bloom the grounds are well kept by the grounds men and are at there best,

Room Tip: depends flora 1 is where all activities are held, flora 2 (connected by an underground tunnel)is ver...
2 Thank flymegirl
FcoJavierMartinez, Gerente at Hotel THB Flora, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest:
thank you so much for your kind review and comments. Our commitment is to keep improving, so coming back guest (as You) can actually realice of the changes.
We love to service people who are only after enjoying their time, as you state, this is a family focused complex and we really enjoy offering a familiar atmosphere with no pretentions.
I hope to see you back son, and see the small one growing :-)
Kind regards and thanks again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Flora appartments from the 28th July to the 5th August. The hotel was described as 3 star. The room was very tired. Often it is the simple things that make the difference. There was not a full set of plates, cups or glasses. We had to re-hang the curtains. The locks on the window and the door looked as if a strong wind would blow them open. The bathroom was functional. I would class this as a 2 star hotel at best as the room certainly looked un loved. The resort is on both side of the main road and the two halves are connected by a tunnel. The main resort has a large pool and the bars, reception, resturant, a games room shop and where the entertaiment is held. If you like music so loud you have to shout to the person next to you and want to fight for a lounger and look at the Lazarote sunshine through a haze of cigarette smoke then this is the place for you. The other side of the road is a smaller pool (refered to as the adult pool). This is smaller and deeper but is quiet. The pool was used by families and it was good to hear the sound of children splashing and laughing. The games area consits of a pool table, air hockey and table tennis (need your own bat and ball) It was great for the kids but you had to get use to the smell vomit mixed with a strong cleaner. I cannot comment on the food at the hotel as we ate out every night and why would you not with the habour only a 10 minute walk and has loads of resturants, cafes and bars to sample. Also there is a fair next to tha harbour which is great fun. The beach is only a 20 minute walk and was mainly empty. Great snookling of the beach as there are hundreds of fish just off the shore. We only experienced the evening entertaiment once. Once we had fought our way through the smog of tobacco smoke to find some sets, my wife who has a latin apperence (although not) was shouted at very loudly and slowly that she could not sit there!!!!!!!!!!

However I must compliment the staff. They were always helpful. Within a few days we only used the Hotel as somewhere to leave our non valuable stuff and a place to get a bad nights sleep.

The best part of our holiday was not having to spend any time at the hotel as there is excellent beachs near by, great trips to be had and excellent places to eat just a short walk away

Room Tip: Any of the rooms by the road are noisy as it is on a main road into the resort. Friday and Saterdur...
Dear Guest:
thank you for taking your time to write the review...I have to say that I feel sorry that you found so many wrong issues in your apartment. I agree that they are a bit dated but the staff from the housekeeping and maintenance departments do their best to keep everything in good working order and clean.
thank you for choosing us to spend your holiday.
kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Del Carmen hotels

Ayrshire
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our apartment was spacious and spotlessly clean. On our first morning my husband went for a walk to get his bearings and noted that people were queuing up at the main pool at 8.00 am to put towels on sunbeds. This happened every day. At Flora 2 there were not as many sunbeds and, unbelievably, people were taking these into their apartments overnight to ensure that they had a sunbed the next day. Towels were left on beds all day without anyone actually using them and although, occasionally towels were removed by staff this did not happen often. Management really do need to resolve the issue with sunbeds as I heard numerous guests complaining about this. I cant fault the staff at this hotel - very friendly and helpful. The food was not to my taste, it was more or less the same most evenings and was very bland. At breakfast there was very little fresh fruit, usually only oranges, bananas, apples and occasionally grapefruit. Where was the melon, pineapple, grapes etc? although there was melon & watermelon at lunch & dinner. This is a family hotel but I did not see much evidence of food being prepared specifically for children. There are plenty of nice restaurants in the resort where the food is reasonably priced - the Purple Turtle being one of these and which is close to the hotel.The location of this hotel is not suitable for people with walking difficulties, however a taxi from the main strip is only 3 euro. From a personal point of view this hotel was not for me but this was not an expensive all inclusive holiday and you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Evvybaby
Dear Guest:
thank you for the review and for chioosing us for your holiday. I´m aware of the problems wuth the sunbeds and as you understand, it´s hard problem to resolve when you rely on guests eductaion (talking about towels on sunbeds left there without using them).
Anyway, I thank you for the kind comments about my staff and the cleanliness in the Hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Had a great week in the flora hotel ..really friendly staff very hard working! Love the animation team!! Food was good was loads to choose from and was different food themes everyday. Rooms where alway kept very clean. Great entertainment day and night. I will definitely return. The only negative is the sunbeds we never got one and was same people on them everyday and most of them weren't even using them but by keeping their towels on them no one could use it .. need some system for the sun beds other than that I was all you could ask for :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen D
FcoJavierMartinez, Gerente at Hotel THB Flora, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest:
thank you so much for the nice review......I will definitely do something about the sunbeds before you come back next time :-), count on that.....

Hope to see you back soon.
regards from Lanzarote
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Not sure where the other people reviewing we're staying but oh my what a waste our hard earned cash!

Positives
Good sized rooms with everything you need. No air con but windows open was enough
Nice balcony with limited sea view
Good aces to airport, only €20 in taxi
Local restaurants cheap and food nice

Negatives
Food awful....processed bacon! Eggs uncooked! Mile long queues to get food. Never any knives and forks or cups in the morning
Sunbeds....if your lucky to get one they are disgustingly dirty, desperately need replacing
Drinks....strong but everything in plastic cups. Prefer wine in a wine glass not plastic beaker
Pool are...other than sun bed issue it's just too over crowded and dirty. My flip flops stuck to the floor it was that bad

All in all we did have an ok holiday, kids made friends but that's because we avoided the all inclusive we had paid for which defeats the object and made a cheap week expensive. Spoke to lots of families that felt the same as us

Wouldn't recommend this hotel but lanzarote ok if you want home from home. As for us we are off to somewhere more exotic next time

Room Tip: Just avoid altogether
1 Thank MilliePig
Dear Guest:
sorry to hear you got dissapointed by the holiday you spent with us. I dissagree with the fact that you mention that the hotel is dirty, but I will take your opinión to try to improve it anyway.
Thank you for taking your time to write the review and for choosing us on your last stay.
If you ever change your mind we will be glad to have you back around anytime.

blackpool
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at the flora for 2 weeks from 9/07/14 with my 20yr son, we were all inclusive and stayed across the road in the quiet part.Our room was dated and a bit shabby but was clean.Food was plentiful and varied and dining room staff were lovely.There were never enough sunbeds and in spite of stickers on sunbeds stated it was prohibited to reserve them, they were all reserved by 09.10 every day!! All employees from the flora were polite and friendly and work very hard.In my opinion, this hotel caters for young families very well and we enjoyed watching the children having fun.We went out most days due to the lack of sunbeds, hotel is on a hill but a taxi costs only 3 euro, so we got a taxi back up the hill.There was building work going on in hotel(dining room area) but wasn't noisy at night.

1 Thank irishmol
Dear Guest:
thank you so much for the kind comments about my staff. I´m glad that you enjoyed your time here. We all hope to see you back around in the near future.
gloucester
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Returned from Hotel Flora on 27th July 2014, myself partner N our 7 yr old & 4 Yr old, had a fantastic time, Staff where amazeing, work long hours however always happy to help if needed, Life guard removes towels off sunbeds if people had not returned!!! I ALWAYS ended up with a lounger for the 10 days we stayed, because it goes noticed if you are not being greedy by grabbing loungers 1st thing in the morning & dissapearing for a few hours expecting your towels to still be waiting for you!!!! We arrived on the 17th so just before school holidays so wasnt too busy, didnt have to queue for food/drinks etc. It got busier nearer the end of our stay!! had an upstairs room on arrival however asked if we could change to ground floor, not a problem whatsoever!!! Food was good always something nice. Kids entertainers are fab, My Daughter loved them & My son loved the x box up in reception!!!! Swimming pool is lovely, lots of activities going on throughout the day. Music played around the pool. Overall stay was fab I would definately return to this hotel again. Restaurant Manager was lovely N so was all the staff n The chef. Fab holiday overall. x

Room Tip: Had a corner room 134 by the kids waterpark, lovely little corner Bright n sunny at tea time if u wa...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
FcoJavierMartinez, Gerente at Hotel THB Flora, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest:
what can I say......Thank you, so much for the kind comments, it´s a nice feeling when someone tells you that you are doing a good job.
Do not hesitate to contacting us directly for next ocassion......flora@thbhotels.com