“Absolutely brilliant ..”

Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
glasgow
“Absolutely brilliant ..”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked the costa Sal apartments for a 5 day trip for my mums 70th birthday , our party consisted on myself. mum and my 17 year old nephew

I had read all the reviews here on trip advisor and was convinced that this was a good choice and I was NOT disappointed.

there is some work being done at reception when we arrived and I was a little apprehensive that I had possibly made a mistake and the place was going to be in a bit of an uproar. I am glad to say I was wrong.

we arrived after a very short bus trip from the airport at approx. 9.15pm and my nephew was feeling hungry after our flight from Glasgow. I took him down to the restaurant and we met Mandy and asked if we could get a bite to eat.
I had thought dinner may be finished at 9pm but she assured us it was no problem and gave us a nice table in the main restaurant, took time to explain the half board menu to us and then took our order. the food was lovely, we felt a bit guilty at turning up late and were going to forgo dessert but she insisted we should have it if we wanted, so we did !! as Mum was in the apartment relaxing I asked if we could get a tea and apple pie to take out for her and this was done with no fuss. Mum was delighted.

I was feeling thoroughly at home already by her friendly and accommodating service.

the apartment was a 2 bedroom superior and it lived up to my expectations. two nice bedrooms with fitted closets. large clean shower room/toilet. fully fitted kitchen with full sized fridge freezer and microwave. comfortable lounge area with flat screen tv, limited English channels but better than a lot of other hotels I have stayed in. (ITV on at night) also a large balcony with table/chairs and two very nice sun loungers, clothes horse and sun umbrella and a sea view , also able to watch every plane landing but I loved this and the noise was very limited. There looks like there is some development starting across from the hotel which we looked onto from our room but it was ok but it also gave us a great view of the hills too.

next morning we headed down for breakfast and were greeted by Fiona our singing waitress.
breakfast was a self service affair but plenty of choices, freshly made tea/coffee and juices.

went for a wander round the complex and it is quite large with a nice area for having drinks/lunch. large salt water pool but to be honest it was really cold. plenty of sunbeds. pool tables also
another chlorine pool is further down and is smaller, more families seemed to use that one for the kids.
the grounds are very well kept and it really is quiet, charming complex.

entertainment every night except a Wednesday and the glamour girls were very funny.
Coopers bar had tv for sport and plenty of drinks choice and reasonably priced.

we were on half board and we ate every night in the hotel, not tempted at all to go elsewhere as this food is excellent. all the staff looked after us very well every night and nothing was ever too much trouble. the BBQ night was included and the steaks and other options were second to none.

the resort of \Matagorda is small but has restaurants and bars,
gift shops etc all on hand.
you can walk to Playa Del Carmen , takes about 40/50 minutes at a reasonable strolling pace, however you can flag down a taxi and it will cost approx. 4 euro or the hotel will order one and it costs about 6 euro including a tip. The bus wasn't cheaper enough to justify waiting on it but there does seems a very good service outside the hotel.

all in all the Costa Sal apartments are fantastic, there a lots of room options available which I think would suit many budgets. the half board option is something I would definitely recommend.

what makes this place a cut above though is the staff. They are a credit to this hotel and made our stay really special. Thank You so much guys.
Hope to see you again in the near future.

Room Tip: we stayed in 112, upstairs apartment, right in the heart of the complex and very clean , brigh...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank cubadaft
Gerhanlon, Commercial Director at Costa Sal Villas and Suites, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
And an absolutely brilliant review!
Thank you from us all at Costa Sal for sharing your experience on this forum. It seems that more and more people read TripAdivsor now than ever before. And most of our new business is as a result of the very positive feedback that our guests post here. So we are all very grateful to you and all the guests who take the time to write a review on their return. We cant thank you all enough.
We are so glad you enjoyed the half board. Again this is something that is becoming increasingly popular. And I think most ( I say most as not all!) people prefer to have dinner served to them in the evening, freshly cooked, rather than a buffet option. And we make sure the standard of the food is of a high quality.
I am glad you were not put off by the reception works. We have tried to make sure this has impacted on our guests as little as possible, and over all we have achieved this.
Mandy and Fiona were delighted to get a special mention!Yes Fiona is not widely known as our Singing waitress! Maybe Britain's Got Talent is her next stop!
Thanks again for taking the time to time to write your review. We hope your mother enjoyed her very special birthday and that we will see you all back again with us in the near future.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Preston, Lancs
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed at Costa Sal for a week at the beginning of May and like many other people have commented, wished we'd been staying for two! From the moment we arrived and throughout the whole time we were there, the staff were absolutely fantastic, the friendliest we've come across anywhere we've stayed. The girls on reception, the bar and restaurant staff - everyone. Particular mention must go to the bar and restaurant staff - Matt, Janice, Rita, Nicki, Dave, Fiona, they were wonderful. Matt even gave up his day off to take us to a local Spanish Tapas bar, cheers Matt, we really enjoyed it!
We had booked a standard one bedroomed apartment but were allocated a two bedroomed bungalow which, for us, was huge with a lounge area, separate kitchen, large bathroom and a twin and double room. There was loads of wardrobe space, plenty of utensils, crockery etc. and it was cleaned daily. Towels and bedding were changed about three times. Although the bungalow we had was probably a little dated, it was spotlessly clean and they are in the process of refurbishing everything. The only gripes I have are that the towels are quite thin and scratchy, and you have to pay for the safe and Wi-Fi. I wouldn't bother with Wi-Fi as connection is terrible, especially if you're down at the bottom of the complex where we were.
The pool areas were lovely, loads of space and plenty of sunbeds, definitely no need to be putting towels on beds to save them! We sunbathed by the bottom smaller pool, near our bungalow. It was a bit of a trek up to the restaurant but was probably a bit quieter (despite being a kids pool, although it wasn't school holidays) and it was possibly a little more sheltered than the top pool but still very windy!
The restaurant was excellent. We never usually eat at the hotel we're staying at as we like to get out and about and sample different places, but on this holiday we ate in the restaurant several times, including breakfast each day and lunch most days, and each time it was superb. Rib-eye steaks with a chilli and lime dressing were delicious, cooked to perfection and huge! Not bad for about €15.00!
All in all a great holiday made thoroughly enjoyable by our wonderful stay at Costa Sal and the lovely staff - thanks again to Matt especially!

3 Thank KazBR
Thank you so much for your glowing review. We really are so proud to read yet another great review. And to know what we made your trip to Lanzarote such a memorable one. I think really what does set us aside from our competitors is the fact that all our Team are so friendly. From the time you arrive , our fantastic receptionists go out of their way to make you feel welcome. And thank you for mentioning all the wonderful staff in the bar and restaurant. We are so lucky to have them. And Matt is delighted you gave him a special mention.
We are so glad that you had such a great time with us, and thanks for taking the time to write your wonderful review and to share it with hopefully even more future Costa Sal guests. Hope to see you back soon.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed at the lovely Costa Sal in early May and really couldn't ask for more. We arrived relatively late on a Saturday evening. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful and allowed us to leave our cases with her and to head straight for the restaurant for our evening meal. There was a full menu on offer but we opted for pizzas and burgers. Can honestly say the best pizza I have ever tasted. When Rita our waitress realised that due to our arrival time we wouldn't have had time to get milk or water for our villa next morning she got the keys for the onsite supermarket and got both for us. Our two bedroom villa was very clean, spacious and had a nice kitchen area which was kitted out with all the essentials if you were self catering. The furnishing was very modern and on clean lines, the beds were extremely comfortable and was kept immaculate by the very friendly cleaner. In the main complex there was a lovely buffet breakfast each morning with everything from fruit juice, cereals, meats, cheeses, fruit salad, up to a full cooked breakfast. Everything looked fresh and tasted lovely. Also always greeted with a song from the lovely, friendly Fiona which started our day off a treat. Dave in the bar was also very friendly and a great barman. The whole complex was beautifully maintained and we were greeted with a friendly "Hola" from every member of staff be it gardeners, cleaners, etc. The complex was only a five minute walk to the beach at Matagorda, but for a livelier atmosphere you could take a very inexpensive taxi journey into Peurto del Carmen. If a taxi was required a quick call to reception ensured that one was at the nearest gate to our villa within minutes. There was refurbishment taking place in and around the main reception area but it didn't impact on the enjoyment of our holiday. The staff treated us like old friends and really seemed to enjoy their jobs. Only sorry our stay was only for a week instead of a fortnight. Would recommend Costa Sal to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank sam73_11
Gerhanlon, Comercial Director at Costa Sal Villas and Suites, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Great heading! Great review!! Great recognition of the entire team
Thank you from us all. We are all very very proud to read such a wonderful review. The staff are smiling even more than usual these last few weeks as we are at the number 1 spot in Puerto del Carmen here on TripAdvisor ( And Number 2 on the island, but aiming for that ultimate number 1 spot).
We do try to go the extra mile., and where possible the staff of the Bar will open the supermarket if they can. We do understand what it is like to arrive late and have nothing in for that drink of water during the night! Or that cup of tea first thing in the morning.
We are delighted you enjoyed the food. And of course our very lovely singing waitress Fiona!
It is such a pleasure to read these reviews and to know that our guests hold us in such high esteem.
Thank you once again for such a glowing opinion. We hope this was the first of many stays and you will spread the word to your family and Friends.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This time last week I was at the Costa Sal and I really wish now that I had booked for two weeks instead of just one.

My superior one bed apartment was spacious and like a little home from home. The furnishings were so well maintained and quite contemporary in design. A very comfortable bed with spare pillows and blankets if required. The kitchen was adequately equipped - everything you need for a short stay, and very clean. Ice cube tray, washing up liquid dish-cloths and tea towels provided. (it is the little things like that that matter). The Lounge had a very comfy sofa but to have BBC1 and ITV to keep up to date with news and soaps was such a bonus. (Along with other movie channels to choose from too.) Even books in the room if you ran out of reading. (I left one so I hope others enjoy too). The bins were emptied most days and towels changed twice during my stay. Not much else but the apartment was so clean when I arrived and did not get messy - I can make my own bed.anyway.

I had requested a sea view and that is just what I got., and a nice big balcony that enjoyed the sun most of the day.

The pool areas were meticulously looked after by the pool staff who were constantly tidying up - plenty of sunbeds to go round (although I realise it was not school holidays). The upper pool was not as sheltered as the lower pool but closer to the restaurant. Water was a bit on the cool side but this is standard in Lanzarote at this time of year.

Zest Restaurant. Well, what can I say except choose the half board option and you will be in for a treat. The standard menu was not extensive (nevertheless very varied) but it is supplemented by the "specials" board that you can pay a supplement (if needed) to enjoy.. Unlike many half board hotels the service is not buffet but waiter service and everything is cooked to order and wonderfully presented just as a top restaurant should be. I recommend the BBQ night - Steaks cooked to order followed by a good selection of salads and other BBQ meats. Also the Fish & Chip special on a Friday. If you like pudding then the cheesecake is to die for!. My only complaint? is that the portions were very generous and I found myself apologising for not being able to finish everything. A few more salad main dishes would have been welcomed by me though.- Perhaps this is something they will consider for future menu's. Breakfast was ok - Yoghurt, juices, fruit salad, egg, bacon, sausage, tomatoes etc. The croissants were the best I have ever had. Only a little criticism but I did not like the milk which I think was long life (fresh milk would have been so much nicer).

The jewel in the crown for me was the staff - from Fiona in the morning to Nikki, Janet, Irene and the guys in the evening, not forgetting Pauline on Reception. (Sorry if I have missed anyone out) Always so cheerful and willing to help - nothing was too much trouble.

Bike hire from Fliston bikes in Matagorda were good (about the best price too). You can cycle to Arrecife going past the airport runway and stopping off at Playa Honda for a cool drink at one of the beachfront cafe's or go the other way to Puerto del Carmen and all the way to Puerto Calero. They also do cycling tours (next time for me).

There is a bus stop just across the road from the hotel that will take you into Puerto del Carmen for 1.35 Euros. Taxi will cost approx 6 Euros. You can also get a bus to Arrecife, Costa Teguise and Playa Blanca.

This is probably the best review I have written for a holiday but Costa Sal is a very special place to stay. I am hoping to come back in Autumn for a repeat performance.

Room Tip: Room 120 was superior apartment on 1st floor with sea/pool view. Sun most of day. Near Reception.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Sara499520
Gerhanlon, General Manager at Costa Sal Villas and Suites, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Your heading made me want to break into song!
Better than all the rest as Tina Turner would say!
Loved your review. All the staff are so proud to read your fantastic comments and to know you had such a good holiday here.
What a lovely thing to say that you wished you had booked for 2 weeks instead of one. Next time!
We are glad you found the apartment comfortable. The English TV channels offer you the opportunity to have a night in if you so wish.
We like to add some small touches and instead of throwing books away, we decided to put them in the apartments. We also offer a book swop in the supermarket . It means you don't have to use your baggage allowance for your books! You can arrive with nothing to read and have plenty of choice.We are glad we were able to give you an apartment with a sunny balcony. We do try our best to provide people with what they request. Although when we are full, it is not always possible.
We made a conscious decision to not do a buffet for dinner. We asked our guests what they thought, and we concluded that people like to have their evening meal served to them ( by our very friendly staff) and have the food cooked freshly when you order. This does set us apart from our competitors, and judging by the comments on this forum we made the right decision to offer a la carte set menu rather than buffet,
The staff are all smiling after reading your comments.I do believe we have a great team at Costa Sal, and it is one of the things we get great feedback on. Thank you from us all for your review.
I am so proud to work as part of the Costa Sal Team. We are striving all the time to improve what we offer, and we are delighted that we seem to be achieving our goal.
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am sure our future guests will find your insight very helpful.
We hope to see you back again very soon.
Please e mail me directly if you would like me to help you with your reservation for your next visit.. My e mail is geraldine.mcfadden@gmail.com. Hasta Pronto!
Puerto del Carmen
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went with another couple here after hearing how good this BBQ was. Approximately 140 people are accommodated for this evening event and it works like a well oiled machine. You are met at the door and shown to your seat. The order for your steak is taken by your server (Janice was our waitress ) and we ordered 4 different degrees from raw to burnt, then our drinks were brought. We were all very satisfied with the steak and you then had a very good selection of potatoes, coleslaw, sausages and chicken , which was replenished regularly, and could go up as many times as you liked. The cook on the BBQ has been doing this for 12 years and really does know how to do the steaks. When you have finished you pay the bill and as this comes in at 12Euro a head for the BBQ it is really good value. Will deffo be back, thanks Janice and rest of staff great service. Worth mentioning at the moment they are under a serious refurb and as such have got communal toilets so some people found this off putting, however I as a builder know that this could not be helped when refurbing and still remaining open to such a high capacity. Maybe they could look at better signing during this time

1 Thank Jack M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recommend this hotel highly. Staff are lovely and the atmosphere is really nice. A nice walk into the centre of a 2 minute taxi ride. Hotel is well kept and I believe they have done a recent refurbishment.

Rooms are comfortable and have everything you need.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at Costa Sal for a week at the beginning of May. We were upgraded from standard to superior apartment as soon as we arrived but I was disappointed to find that the apartments next to us were being renovated (perhaps this was why we were 'upgraded?'), which meant lots of noise and little privacy during the day. That being said, we were out of the apartment most days so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. The apartment itself was very nice, had everything we needed. There was an odd sound that kept me up at night (the fridge, the fan, a cricket??) but I don't think this could have been helped! The reception desk was very helpful, but always in rush. A few days into the holiday the entire reception area was torn down and a new one was build, which was quite noisy and disruptive.
The resort itself is lovely. The main pool is a good size, and right next to the bar. Shame it was freezing! The bar staff are the stars of the resort, always very helpful and friendly.

2 Thank MazW2014
Hipotels La Geria
Hipotels La Geria
#9 of 92 in Puerto Del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,564 reviews

Been to Costa Sal Villas and Suites? Share your experiences!