“costa sal-great place to stay”

Costa Sal Villas and Suites
Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 18 July 2014

16/6-26/6 spent 7 days at costa sal recovering from a broken leg .The staff were very friendly and the accommodation was clean and tidy the food is very tasty. hope to go back next year .miss all the steps use site map from reception .

Room Tip: top floor sun all day
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank birdie206
There are newer reviews for Costa Sal Villas and Suites

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We're just back from an amazing holiday in Costa Sal. We travelled as 3 adults and 2 teenagers. We arrived on a Sunday evening and met the lovely receptionist Amelia who was very friendly and helpful. I have to say, all the staff in reception were lovely and extremely accommodating throughout our stay here. Paulina and Rosy were two of the other receptionists we met and they would always have a word with us whenever they would see us. We were always greeted with "hola" and a smile! Paulina was always very complimentary also.

Our luxury villa was beautiful, very modern and very clean. It was cleaned daily with fresh towels provided each day and the sheets were changed at least twice during our stay. Lollie was our main cleaner and she was also very friendly and always left the villa spotless. We also noted that the garden around the entire complex was very well kept and made the place look lovely.

We booked in for six days half-board, receiving one free day as a result of that. The food was amazing, definitely a highlight of our trip. It was all of a very high standard with a great selection of starters, mains and desserts. There was also a great selection of food for breakfast, including fruit, cereal, ham, cheese, sausages, rashers, eggs, etc. There were always lovely fresh breads and hot croissants along with fresh coffee and tea on request. Irene was the restaurant manager and was extremely helpful in every way. She looked after us very well, always checking on our table to make sure everything was okay for us. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and she helped to make this extra special for us. The restaurant staff (Janice, Nicky, Rita, Dave, Mandy, Fiona, Aidan, and Jack), in general were very helpful and always friendly, morning and evening. They couldn't do enough for us. Janice was always smiling! The bar staff were also excellent - Greg, Paul, Matt, etc. They were always very chatty and made conversation with all the guests.

The very glamorous and very professional Geraldine was more than helpful and she would check with us any time she saw us around the complex to ensure everything was okay with our stay. We had a few problems with the wifi and she was very helpful with this also.
The only other problem we had was with the weather as it was often quite windy, particularly at night. Naturally, this was nobody's fault, we may have just been unlucky!

Our three daughters loved the pool, it was always very clean and they had the option of the salt-water or chlorine pool. There was also a lovely kids pool. The complex was a short 5-minute walk to the beach, a local Spar and other restaurants. As we ate in the hotel mainly we didn't eat in these restaurants. We did, however, travel to the Old Town in Puerto Del Carmen and had a fabulous meal in Emma's Cantina, a Mexican restaurant. Travelling to Puerto Del Carmen was very easy as there is a bus stop located directly across from the complex. The fare into town was €1.35. Alternatively, there was a taxi rank around the corner from the complex or you could book one from reception. The fare usually was between €6/7.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Costa Sal. We could barely find anything to fault about our stay and the staff in the complex greatly contributed to this. We would give the complex 10/10 and we will definitely be returning!

The Halpenny Family, Ireland.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Martina H
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed for a week early June. Had booked a partial sea view but got allocated an apartment at the corner of the pool. Quick trip to reception and staff (without hesitation), moved us to a sea view the following morning. Apartments were modern and extremely well equipped. The complex itself is spotless. Had the buffet breakfast, lunch at the pool, and an evening meal - all very tasty. I'm not normally a fan of hotel entertainment, but the drag night was fantastic! The staff at the Costa Sal are tremendous. Nothing is too much trouble and they are the friendliest I have ever met. I did find Matagorda a bit quiet, but this wouldn't put me off visiting Costa Sal again. The main supermarkets are a 5 min walk away but the on-site shop is spot on for essentials. I would have no hesitation recommending these apartments.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank wendycw
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed for 10 nights early June and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I've been to Lanzarote many times and this was by far the best place I've stayed in. The staff were wonderful; friendly, cheerful and very accommodating. We arrived late evening and didn't want a big meal so they made us sandwiches which weren't on the menu; nothing is too much trouble here! I was sad to leave and will definitely be back to see Irene and all her wonderful staff in the restaurant and bar - give yourselves a big clap, you were all amazing. We upgraded to a superior apartment which was clean and in a quiet location on the complex with lovely views. I've nothing negative to say only that I felt depressed when I came home.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank joanne c
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed in one of the villas in May 2014. The villa itself was faultless, finished to a very high standard, very spacious, very modern. Fully equipped kitchen which was nice, we were able to get up as early or as late as we liked for breakfast, and sit outside in the private courtyard garden under the umbrella! Sun loungers and private hot tub in the court yard which were really nice. Rooms cleaned and towels changed daily, staff very pleasant.

The only negative comment is the TV didn't work and neither did the wifi which may be a good thing when your on holiday so might not bother some people at all. I didn't care about the TV but found the wifi a bit annoying as (wrongly or rightly) I like checking emails, whatsapp etc. when on holiday! I think the wifi was because the villa was just too far from the reception to pick up the signal. To be fair to the receptionist when we rang she sent someone down immediately to rectify the problems however, the guy (who was really nice) couldn't fix either!

We hired the tennis court and rackets and had a game in the onsite courts which were well maintained. The receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful, she helped us pick a tour of the island which was fantastic!

There is at least two pools on site, water freezing (unheated pools are typical on the island) but very clean and the cold didn't stop us swimming! There is also a kids play area.

Less than ten min walk to the beach, which is lovely, and a spar shop. Lovely places to eat along the beachfront. Bus stop across the road from the hotel which takes 15mins to town of Puerto Del Carmen for just over a euro I think? Ate in the hotel on one evening, we went to the all you can eat BBQ, it was OK.

Would recommend this resort particularly the villas which are really nice, as are the staff!

Room Tip: Go for a villa if your budget allows, just not one too far from the reception if wifi is important t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank caroloriordan
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed from 10 June for 11 nights in apartment 810. gaps and two nights were a little windy and you could hear it whistle, it didn't bother us as we slept sound. The apartment was really spacious and it was a standard apartment and I could not find any fault. The door had a few The apartment was cleaned about 4 days a week and on one day we happened to return before cleaning lady was finished and we could see her at work and she left the place spotless. On another day cleaning lady was next door so we left our breakfast dishes in the sink, so that we knew she could clean our apartment earlier. I have to say I was not expecting it, but cleaning lady went above her job and washed and put away our plates, I know it was only 3 cups and plates and cutlery, but it was not expected. I did leave her a thank you note. Our apartment overlooked the tennis courts and they were situated in a lovely quiet spot. I emailed a thank you to Geraldine McFadden to tell her that we were enjoying our stay and just mentioned one wall socket was a little loose, which was fixed really quickly. I did ask if possible for a late check out, but with refurbishments and peak season in June, I understood if it could not be given, and receptionist was really good, she tried her best but as she did not have arrival times for some guests, she was unable to let us hold apartment. But there are showers down near tennis court to shower before you leave and a luggage room near reception, so we were ok with this.
Some apartments are being refurbished as well as reception area, but there was no dust anywhere and noise was not a problem from this or from airplanes, as you are close to airport, about 9.50 euro to airport. which is really good. You are only about 7 mins in taxi from airport.
AS FOR ZEST RESTAURANT well we took Half board option pay 6 nights and get 7th night free, and we have to say that food portions and quality is top standard, better than one restaurant we visited on our stay. Also the breakfast had proper back rashers not streaky ones. and also proper bread for toast. We ate on day of departure in Coopers bar and I discovered that the burgers were fantastic. I should have tried them before this day, Desserts to everything. House wine by glass is 3 euro and it was lovely. Only one thing I did not like was the cream on irish coffee....I don't know if it is squirt cream or uht cream, but that is only thing I would change.....Food and all staff were tops. This is a spotless clean location, yes it is a bit far out from Puerto del Carmen, but personally I would not like to be in the middle of lively resort with a child. I will return again, I cant picture myself wanting to go anywhere else. BUT IF YOU ARE A PERSON WHO DOESNT LIKE IT TOO QUIET OR HAVE WALKING DIFFICULTIES (THERE ARE A FEW STEEP STEPS...BUT ALSO HAVE WHEELCHAIR SLOPES) THEN THE COSTA SAL IS NOT FOR YOU. As the day got hot, or for breakfast before I was fully awake, we did go out side entrance and head up slope towards reception as the last flight of steps were a bit of a killer in heat. (that is just me). Sun loungers in june were not all taken and lifeguard was very helpful one day when we were later to pool area and helped my husband bring up an extra sun lounger to our spot. I also saw life guard helping lady with her suitcase down steps, which shows you the staff do care. All of the staff were pleasant and helpful and you can see that they are happy in their job and spoke very highly of management. The staff do respect management and know that they are lucky to be employed here. They even tell you so...and it really shows to the guests that there is good management here and when an employee is happy in their job, it shows and guests can see it too and it all makes a happy holiday.
ENTERTAINMENT: I am not a sports fan but my husband did go to bar on sunday night to see match, and my daughter and I headed to terrace to see the glamour girls....this show was very entertaining, light hearted and my 13 year old was keeling over laughing. The men in the bar didn't get left out either as my husband said the glamour girls made sure they were not forgotten . Tuesday night also good singer. And the bingo night was fun and the quiz....they really get the crowd going. And the karaoke is excellent, he is very entertaining and we came into bar in middle of one of his songs and when finished, he welcomed us, with embarrassment all we could do was laugh. he has costumes for all singers. My daughter sings and has only started out with past year and half, and we were even surprised when she sang Frozen as there was about 10 people who left coopers and came to terrace to hear her, and went straight back afterwards. We have her singing for confidence, but it was fab to see the bar staff and customers. She has a long way to go, but Costa Sal is such a friendly spot and people mix, well. Even guest from other hotels, come to the bar to drink. THEME NIGHTS. they have from curry to sunday roast to bbq and fish and chips and they are great as they hold customers in the apartments from going out places as you know you will not get better value or quality elsewhere. MAYBE PUT MENU IN APARTMENTS AND ADVERTISE TAKE AWAY PIZZA, ETC...THERE IS A BIG MARKET FOR THIS,WE SAW A FEW TAKEOUTS FROM RESTAURANT....BUT I AM SURE THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE DO NOT REALISE HOW GOOD FOOD IS. RING IN ORDER AND COLLECT WOULD BE GOOD FOR SALES....AND I COULD SEE IT WORKING.....See you all next year

Room Tip: I did hear that some studios were not great, but personally I like an upper apartment and I requeste...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank IrelandAnnMarie
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed in Costa Sal end of June into July for 2 weeks.We were a group of 15 ,Adults and Children age range 70's to 4 years.We stayed in 2 superior 2 bed apartments and 2 villas,also 2 bed with outside enclosed patio area.The accommodation was spacious and clean with all modern amenities including fridge freezer,kettle,toaster,full cooker,iron and ironing board.My 2 bed apartment had seaviews with a good size balcony with table,chairs,sunbeds and clothes dryer.Downside was that due to renovation work going on in apartment below us we didn't utilize the balcony as much as would have liked due to the noise.Other members of our group however did not experience similar work and were happy with their outside spaces.
My parents and Brother stayed in one of the modernised villas.My Brother was having a lie down one afternoon while my parents were out but woke when 2 men entered the bedroom,panicked when they saw him and ran off.They were facing the road,by exit gate which was regularly left open though code for entry wasn't exactly rocket science.This was reported to reception immediately who said management would be informed,end of story.My Dad made a point of informing his neighbours just in case of a repeat performance.
This aside Costa Sal is a great place for families,pools are great,though during our stay it was very windy some days so top pool could be very breezy,flying lilos at times! Kids played pool most days,indoor game's room being renovated during our stay so only saw finished product couple of days before leaving.Staff were great,very friendly,from reception,to restaurant,to bar,couldn't fault them.My 4 year old Daughter loved Matt the Barman at the pool so special mention for him as he was great with her,very patient and boy did he need it.She loved the place,she made lots of friends and I think lots of people got to know her as she 'worked the room'.Karaoke is not my thing and after her repeated rendition of 'Twinkle Twinkle,' won't be most people's now!
Last note,the food in the restaurant is very good,better than most places we ate at .Would I return,yes to Costa Sal,not so sure about Matagorda,bit to man-made for me.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family