Me, my wife and 2 children aged 5 and 8 have recently just returned from a 12 night stay here, it was our first time to Lanzarote and I must say it was a very pleasant experience, first impressions of the premises were very good, all new reception area and the staff very polite and helpful which in turn was the general impression of all the staff, everyone appears to be very happy in their work which is always a good sign.
We chose self catering and booked a 1 bedroom apartment (206) which we found to be very clean, spacious and well equipped, we was informed that this was one of the newly upgraded rooms, because there was 4 of us we had 2 more single beds which were very comfortable, installed in the living area however even this didn't hamper our space, the bathroom was large and had a walk in shower cubicle, the kitchen area had an electric oven and hob with toaster and kettle, we did use this mostly at breakfast and lunchtimes. We emailed prior to our arrival to request a pool view and this request was met which we was very pleased with.
There are 2 pools on site a smaller pool at the bottom end of the complex and the larger salt water pool at the top end which our room looked over, I have never used a salt water pool before and I must state that it is a lot kinder certainly on the eyes than a chlorine pool.
There is a small poolside bar run by a guy named Matt, what a great guy he is, he is brilliant with the children even letting them behind the bar to pull their own slush's and plays music all afternoon, I recommend Happy Hour between 4-6 when alcoholic drinks are 50% cheaper, you can order snacks here or at the bar throughout the afternoon.
The restaurant serves good food and has themed nights like, Fish and Chips on Friday, Curry Night on Saturday, Sunday Roast and BBQ night on Tuesday, we only went to BBQ night and it is highly recommended, steak and all you can eat buffet and very reasonably priced too, I must mention that the breakfasts are also excellent value too, we ate out at local restaurants mostly many within 5-10 minutes walking distance, Sirocco do great pizzas and even have a take-away section, O'Horreo was a big favourite of ours, the food is great and the waiters really look after you, it can get a bit pricey however and a restaurant named Caballito De Mar, Pepe loves kids and serves excellent Spanish food and very reasonably priced, we had an amazing paella here.
There is a supermarket on site selling the basic essentials, we did find it a bit more pricey than the Spar shop which was in the Commercial Centre within 5 minutes walking distance where there is a lot more choice and less expensive.
As you can probably guess by the title of the review, the resort of Matagorda is very close to the airport and whilst the planes do come in very low near to the complex, they are almost silent as they approach, you do hear them taking off but to be honest you get used to them and the airport closes at midnight so there are no night flights inbound or outbound, I do recommend a walk down the promenade to the airport it is quite a surreal experience how close you can get to the planes.
We found the resort of Matagorda very nice however rather quiet, most of the bars and restaurants close before midnight and other than a small amusement arcade in the Commercial Centre, there is very little to entertain the children and we did find it a struggle at times, a short 5 minute taxi ride into Puerto Del Carmen is highly recommended and only costs around 5 euros, this is a much busier resort and we found it cheaper eating out here, I highly recommend a restaurant name La Brasa opposite the Adidas shop, the food is excellent and cooked in an open kitchen in front of you and the staff are excellent.
To sum up we had a great holiday, we found the place to be very chilled out and you do things at your own pace, very relaxing holiday.
We would have probably given this 5 stars however the lack of childrens entertainment let it down, I do understand that there are plans for the near future to introduce a kids club and mini disco.
We would likely return sometime in the future especially if the entertainment programme is more child friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Costa Sal.... The hotel that brings the definition " Home away from Home" to life! We pride ourselves on making our guests feel like family. From you arrival in our bright and modern reception area, where you are greeted by one of our very friendly receptionists. To the Bar/ Restaurant/ pool bar.You are always made to feel welcome and at home. We offer a wide range of options for single travellers, couples, friends and families. Everything from compact studios to luxury villas complete with hot-tub. Many reasons why our guests come back year after year! So read our guests feedback here on this forum. And get booking! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Costa Sal Villas and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Costa Sal Apartments Hotel Puerto Del Carmen
- Costa Sal Apartments Matagorda
- Costa Sal Apartments Hotel Matagorda
- Costa Sal Apartments Lanzarote
- Costa Sal Lanzarote
- Costa Sal Villas And Suites Lanzarote/Puerto Del Carmen