“not as good as expected”
Review of Nautilus Lanzarote

Nautilus Lanzarote
Ranked #5 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Thurso, United Kingdom
“not as good as expected”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My wife and myself have just returned for a week's holiday at this hotel….some good points….some not so good.

the positives, very clean and tidy, certainly seems well layed out for disabled guests.

The negatives, the pool is advertised as being heated..it is freezing.
We were on a B&B basis, 10 euro's per person per day extra for breakfast, big mistake, the breakfast was of very poor quality, the hot food, such as it was, was at best tepid, with little or no replenishment of hot food. Considering that a decent breakfast was to be had in many of the local restaurants for between 3 to 5 euro's, after eating the hotel breakfast twice, we never had it again.
The hotel advertises that it has wi-fi connection and to be honest that is a joke, like ourselves all the guests we spoke to were having real problems trying to get wi-fi connection.
We had a terrible 'bad drain' type smell coming from the toilet…and admittedly when we reported it a member of the management team along with a member of staff came right away to investigate. We were told that everything was fine and to keep the window shut, the smell remained.
The towels in both the bathroom and the kitchen were almost threadbare and should have been replaced long ago.
The black-out screens on the windows were way past there best and full of holes.
To be honest i fail to see where the rave reviews on Trip-Advisor come from.
Would we return……no
Would we recommend the hotel to friends….no

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Lochan3350
LedaGiordano, Gerente at Nautilus Lanzarote, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear guests,

We are really sorry that you did not enjoyed your stay at Nautilus Lanzarote as we would wish you to.
Our swimming pool is acclimatized to 22 – 24 centigrade degrees all year round. At this time of the year, even we we are enjoying warm temperatures in Lanzarote getting in and out of the pool can certainly give a chilly feeling at times
We offer free Wi-Fi conection in all the resort,the Wi-Fi signal can be weaker depending on its situation and on how many people is connected at the same time, the lnternet connection in the Island can be disappointing , we are trying very hard to push this matter with the hotel Association of Lanzarote , because Telefonica the company in charge to give us all the possibility to have a better connection is not investing any money on new technology in Lanzarote . In case in the future you would need a independent connection for work or other important matter just for you, please let us know before your arrival and we might be able to help you ( with an extra cost unfortunately) .
Once more I would like to express our regret, please contact us directly next time and, as usual, we will do our very best to meet your expectations.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon again , we would like to send out our warmest greetings.
Leda Giordano - Nautilus Lanzarote Team .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
wigan
Reviewed 16 December 2013

As it was our first visit we booked a standad 1 bedroom adapted apartment, the lounge and bathroom were fine. To get a turning circle in the bedroom the single beds had been pushed up to the walls and as they are very narrow it meant I crunched into the wall every time I turned over. The following day we upgraded to a superior 2 bedroom and although the beds were the same size they weren't up against the wall, the superior apartment was well worth the extra. We had breakfast in our package and it was a selection of breads cold meats, cheeses, fruit and bacon eggs etc. at E10 it was a bit steep but if you want to roll out of bed and get breakfast it was worth it, if you don't mind a 10 min stroll to the commercial centre there are cheaper alternatives.The complex itself is superb for wheelchair users, the resort is good with kerb dropdowns at most crossings and the long coast path superb, but it is an uphill push back to the complex. The staff were all friendly and very helpful, I ave 3 small negatives for the facilies, 1) the narrow beds weren't that comfortable. 2) WIFI was useless. 3) Only 2 English chanels on TV both News, when the weather was bad it would have been nice to watch some TV.
The commercial centre has a selection of restaurants and all the ones we tried were OK however nothing stood out as being excellant, but you won't go hungry & if you want to self cater there are 4 supermarkets including one on site.

Room Tip: upgrade to a superior apartment, worth the extra
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cottea
LedaGiordano, Gerente at Nautilus Lanzarote, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting your opinion in Tripadvisor.

We totally agree with you that the WiFi connection is a point the needs to be improved. In fact, Internet connection in the Island can be disappointing , we are trying very hard to push this matter with the hotel Association of Lanzarote , because Telefonica the company in charge to give us all the possibility to have a better connection is not investing any money on new technology in Lanzarote . In case in future you would need a independent connection for work or other important matter just for you, please let us know before your arrival and we might be able to help you ( with an extra cost unfortunately) .

About TV channels, the package we have has a wide offer of channels in different languages so in the offer of channels in every language you might have missed your favourites ones.

We thank you for letting us know these things we need to improve. We really hope in your next visit your overall satisfaction will be higher.

Meanwhile we send you our kindest wishes and a Marry Christmas to you and your family .

Leda Giordano – Nautilus Team.
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We have just returned (28/11/13) from a two week stay at this incredible complex. I have to say that everything was just perfect for my disabled wife!
The room (we had(no 34) was large spotless and had everything you could wish for. I just could't get over the thought that had gone into what a disabled persons needs are!
The property has ramped access to almost every corner!! The only area that hadn't was the shop and spa area and that was served by a brand new" looking" lift!!
I now come to the most impressive AND IMPORTANT part of our holiday the NAUTILUS STAFF!!
To sum it up they made my wife feel "SPECIAL". They talked to her in her wheelchair like a long lost friend, she is so used to being ignored!! It was so nice to see the smiling faces(Barbara always had a smile) whenever we were in reception!! During our stay my wife's wheelchair was damaged due to climbing a curb(see below) so we asked "Barbara" on reception for help, her answer was to call the maintenance guy who fixed the problem within 20 mins!! That's what I call service!!
The resort area was also very good for wheelchairs and the local restaurants superb!! The only negative point was that some of the dropped curbs around the area still had a 4 inch lip that took a lot to climb!!!
I would recommend the Nautilus to anyone with or without a wheelchair!!!

Room Tip: I would advise requesting rooms away from the road. There is nothing wrong with them but they didn...
7 Thank Paul W
LedaGiordano, Gerente at Nautilus Lanzarote, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guests,
We would like to thank you very much for your nice words . We are very pleased that you and your wife have enjoyed your stay with us.
Thanks to mentions all the staff that I'm proud to work with , we are a big multi culture family and we are really thankful when you - as our gusts-friend - understand that you are part of it and you can count on us whenever you need .
See you soon in Nautilus Lanzarote again ad please if you have any request do not hesitate to getting in touch with us.
Best regards
Leda Giordano – Nautilus Team
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Just had our 3rd holiday to Nautilus and are looking forward to going back again. My Husband is disabled and this complex totally suits his needs. The disabled rooms are spacious and my Husband has no problems with his electric wheelchair. Reception staff are really friendly and helpful and we always request them to arrange for an adapted wheelchair transfer to be waiting at the airport for us. The grounds are well kept and the pool area is beautifully clean. The rooms are very clean with daily cleaning and the kitchen is well equipped. There is a small shopping centre nearby although there is a supermarket on site. Lovely promenade - very flat - ideal for anyone in a wheelchair as well as pushchairs etc. Have given this an "Excellent" rating for everything

4 Thank Lynn L
LedaGiordano, Gerente at Nautilus Lanzarote, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for sharing you comments about Nautilus Lanzarote and the area of Matagorda which is , as you pointed out, very handy for wheelchair users: flat with an easy reach to the restaurants, bars and shop along the promenade.
We hope to have with us once more very soon.
In the meantime we send you our warmest greetings.

Leda Giordano – Nautilus team.
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is an excellent place to take children I took my 3 with their grandparents in June ,it islovely and flat for buggys and wheelchairs,2 lovely pools accommodation is A1,& the staff all go out of their way to look after you,myself & the children would certainly like to visit again and my mother n law visits twice a year

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandy L
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your very nice words about us.
It is our priority to offer the best possible service to have any kind of needs met. Families too!!.
For those who bring their children we recommend our Superior and Superior XL apartments because of its closeness to the swimming pool.
If you are planning to return, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we will do our best to meet any queries you might have.
In the meantime, we send you our best regards.
Leda Giordano - Nautilus Team
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I booked a standard room for myself and my wife. A few days prior to our departure to Lanzarote, I rang the Nautilus reception to get clarification on some aspects of our booking. The receptionist told me that the system was shut down and would be unable to answer all my queries at that time. I should have rung again the following morning but I did not. When we did travel to Lanzarote, it was early evening when we arrived at the Nautilus and first impressions were good. Reception area nice, bright and clean. Receptionist (Marina) very pleasant and professional. We were given keys to our bungalow and made our way there. Grounds well maintained and attractive. When we opened door to our accommodation, our reaction was total disappointment. The apartment was so small and the bedroom with two single beds was really only suitable for two children. It was not what I had expected. We returned to reception and spoke with Marina expressing our concerns. She was very sympathetic. I asked for a different and larger accommodation. She offered us another bungalow which was larger but also advised that it would involve extra charge of over €20 per day. As we had no intention of staying in the first bungalow, we went and inspected the second one. It was a two bed and much brighter and more comfortable. Despite the extra cost, we took it. After our first day, I still felt somewhat disappointed that (a) my initial contact by 'phone with the Nautilus had been so unsatisfactory (b) first room we booked was so small (c) extra charge for accommodation and (d) poor internet access. I returned to reception, complained and spoke with Leda who seems to be the manager. She could not have been nicer. She told me that bungalows at the Nautilus are different in layout/design/furnishings and actually showed me several of them. They were all 2 bedroomed and were gorgeous. Internet access was fixed and gift of bottle of wine/confectionery was very thoughtful and kind. So, despite a shaky start, we went on to have a very enjoyable stay at the Nautilus. I recommend it highly
The accommodation we finally had (2 bed superior) was very well equipped. One of the best we have stayed in. The water in the pool was cold but then again it was November!. Shop in the resort was convenient, reasonably well stocked and as you would expect slightly more expensive than the local Spar. The Nautilus is close to beautiful promenade which runs all the way from Puerto Carmen to Arrecife. Perfect for walking/cycling. There is a small shopping centre within ten minute walk where there are 6 or more pubs/restaurants offering dining options. It is close to Arrecife airport and taxi fare costs no more than €10. All in all, excellent.
Would I return?. Yes, (in a heartbeat!!).

1 Thank jjwals
LedaGiordano, Gerente at Nautilus Lanzarote, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks to post your honest review, as you told me .
We are very sorry that you haven't been entirely satisfied with us at first look . Our standard one bedroom apartment measures 55 square metres while the two bedroom superior measures 70 and the one you choose was pool view, so the difference is really noticeable. Now that you know much more about us and our diffrent apartment types and we know about your wishes I know that on your next visit in January we will fulfil your needs from the very beginning.
Until then, we send you our kindest wishes .
Leda Giordano – Nautilus Team
Cork
Reviewed 26 November 2013

On our recent visit to the Nautilus we were delighted to be given a two bedroom bungalow even though there was only the two of us - (because it was off-season we were told). The rooms were of a good size with plenty of storage, and spotlessly clean with daily cleaning service. The kitchen had everything you would need for a self catering holiday. I would have liked a dressing table of some type in the bedroom, the bed was very comfortable, but some might find it a little hard. It was nice to have our own terrace with sun loungers and brolly. Pool was heated, but a little cold.

There were only a couple of things that prevented my from marking this accommodation 5 star, mainly the very poor internet connection and the terrible English language TV channels available, one would think that by now the Irish and British visitors would be catered for better in this regard not only in the Nautilus but in other accommodation in Lanzarote. SKY News, BBC World News and the Horror channel............yes the horror channel which only showed rubbish from the 70's. The accommodation is located a few min walk from a centre with pubs, supermarket and restaurants with many more a little further along the sea front.

I do recommend the Nautilus for a lovely relaxing holiday, in lovely surroundings.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have A/C so I would advise requesting one that does during the summer. But not a probl...
1 Thank noelleb
LedaGiordano, Gerente at Nautilus Lanzarote, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you for posting your opinion in Tripadvisor.
We are sorry to read that your overall satisfaction wasn't at its best.
It is a fact that the wireless internet conection could definetly be better, we absolutely agree with you , Internet connection in the Island is not the best but this is an issue we are willing to improve . Just so you know if you need our cooperation for working and urgent matter we have the possibility to help you with a connection just for you , but please let us know before your arrival , the selection of TV channels in each and every language might not be as wide as you probably thought it was. We have a sellection of TV Channels in many languages from English to Russian, among so many different channels in the package maybe you missed your favourites, all our TV have a USB entrance so you can bring a portable memory with films next time .
In the meantime we send you our kindest wishes and thank you one again to give us your honest opinion to improve our service .
We really hope to welcoming you back in Nautilus Lanzarote.
Nautilus Team – Leda Giordano