“Excellent Clubhotel in the Riu-chain”

ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort
Ranked #18 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We actually did not book this hotel in the first place, but were supposed to stay at another hotel of the Riu company nearby. Because this hotel did not meet our expectations we were moved to this hotel instead, and we were glad this happened.
This hotel has all the luxury of a 4star hotel (almost 5…) and still remains a Clubhotel. The entertainment team is wonderful with kids AND their parents and the food was as always good. Nice swimming pool areas and the rest of the staff was friendly and professional as always with a Riu hotel. We had a very lovely stay in this hotel for 1 week. Beach is nearby (just across the road) and within walking distance there is a long stretched boulevard with several restaurants, lots of boutiques and street entertainment. Mind you; if you travel with small children or if you are not used to walk long distances or lots of stairs, please ask for a room in the main part of the hotel. This hotel used to be 2 large hotels next to each other. They merged and the other hotel part can be reached by a gangway, but this will take a few minutes walk. You can also asked for the suites, situated in the middle of this resort; but mind you…this is also a few minutes walk, as well as to the reception as to several swimming pools and restaurants. But if you do not mind a small stroll now and then you can certainly book the suites!

After our holiday we were sorry to leave; we had a wonderful time in Riu Paraiso Lanzarote and I would not be surprised if we will return one day. Excellent hotel with friendly staff and good food services.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jemielove
Write a ReviewReviews (3,714)

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed at the Riu from 26th July to 2nd August. We booked through Thomsons (First Choice). As both our boys are now 14 and 17 and need a room to themselves, it was the most expensive holiday we've ever been on so we were hoping we weren't going to be disappointed.
Flight, transfer etc, very smooth. As soon as you arrive at the hotel, you are 'branded' with a wrist band and asked to go to lunch while they get the room ready.
First impression was the sheer size of the hotel, and it was very busy and buzy. We had a snack lunch by main pool, then were told where our rooms were & had to make our own way.
Our rooms (1163 and 1164) were in the 'quiet' hotel which is a walk across a wooden walkway. There was no problem with that for us - it was a nice walk and I can't understand the negatives some people put. The rooms were the nearest to the pool, on the ground floor. At first I was a bit disappointed, because I had asked for rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floors - our rooms had palm trees right outside so the terrace got no sun and the rooms not much light. However, on reflection, they were very spacious, very clean and modern and in an excellent position and we felt we would have enough sun during the day, so left it - by the end of the holiday, when we had been back and forwards from the room to the pool so many times, we were very pleased we had stayed put (& you don't spend much time in your room anyway). Be aware that even if you make a specific request before you go, it doesn't necessarily happen.
We can't fault any of the staff at the hotel - very polite, very helpful, very friendly.
Food: Can't understand the negatives about the food (must be very fussy eaters). We thought the food was excellent. It was all buffet style and there was a massive choice and all labelled clearly - if not, there was ALWAYS a chef bedhind the counter to ask. Breakfast - cereals, yoghurst, fruit, full cooked, continental, croissants, rolls etc etc. Lunch - we normally had a snack in the cafe by the pool, but you could get a full restaurant spread if you wanted. Supper - particulary good if you like fish (which I do) and there was a traditional dish served by a chef every night (mussels, Canarian stew etc). Something for everyone. It was VERY busy at times, but you always got a table and staff were great. There are 3 themed restaurants but do book these AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE (don't let reception tell you otherwise). The Canarian restaurant is only open on Thursday and Fridays, and Mexican the other nights, so if you're only staying a week you may miss out (we didn't get into the Canarian). Asian (gets very booked up) and Mexican both very good and much quieter and nice decor. No problems at all with tummies - think the negatives with food poisoining were just very unlucky and that can occasionally happen (not necessarily caught at the hotel). All drinks are free - wine not great as said previously (fizzy wine on bar counter is better then on tap wine), but lager fine, and cocktails great. You could eat all day as there were also pool side areas with burgers, pizza, chips etc and always loads of salad and fruit - must have eaten about 8 water melons during the week!
If you want to play tennis or ping pong, you need to book and pay 10 euro deposit for each racket/bat. Tennis is in full sun, so don't book mid-day!
Entertainment team really good. They work incredibly hard, and some of the shows were very watchable - our boys enjoyed them. They also have plenty of activities for younger children and aerobics, bowls, shooting etc so if you did stay on site all day there was plenty to do.
The hotel is basically in two halves - the more lively side, and the quiet side. We never actually sat round the lively pool - it was too far from our rooms, and we didn't want the constant noise of the kids entertainment etc. I much preferred the quieter area, but it's a personal thing.
A couple of minor constructive negatives (hence not five stars) and remembering this is a 4* hotel. The sun bed situation really frustrated us. Although we always found two together (eventually and not always with a parasol), you did have to be up at the crack of dawn to 'put your towel down'. Having never been on one of these holidays before, I found that bizarre. Some people were out there at 6.30 which would have ruined my holiday. My husband went for a run at 7 every morning, so he would put a couple of towels out, but only if we intended to use the beds. Some people would put towels out at 7, then not appear until 12 which I found incredibly selfish and I do think that the hotel pool attendants should be much more pro-active in removing towels that haven't been used for an hour or more. By the way, all nationalities did it (you had too, otherwise you simply wouldn't get a good spot)! If we went out during the day (which we normally did) and got back at 3ish, then we did always find somewhere, so people really shouldn't reserve spots.
There are a lot of Germans at the hotel (prob majority of guests) as other reviewers have said, but also a lot of Spanish, some Dutch, quite a few Brits. I didn't see any problem in that (that's Xenophobia for you) - it's nice to have a cosmopolitan feel and it was of course a few rogue Brits that were making the most noise, and being the most embarrassing!! The Germans were all very friendly and polite. To put a negative review because of Germans staying in the hotel is completely ludicrous.
Another negative which we actually found a big problem was the beds. They were basically two large single beds pushed together and on castors. If you're hoping for a romantic break, forget it. The beds move quite easily, so you get a gap down the middle, so it's like sleeping apart. We tied the beds together, but the maid untied them. They really need to look into that as it does let it down - most couples want a double bed on holiday! Didn't find them uncomfortable at all though like previous reviewer.
Another minor, but annoying negative, was that our side had been incredibly quiet most of the week. However, the last two mornings, the maids cleaning the main area outside our room woke us up at 6.30 with really loud talking - thought that was very bad.
No problem with either mosquitos or cockroaches (there was one outside our door, but hotel can't help that) - I'm normally bitten to death so was really pleasantly surprised.
Agree with negatives about hairdryer - takes an age to dry hair. TAKE YOUR OWN!
This is a top notch 4* hotel - they will answer any problem immediately - I think if previous reviewers really had problems with their rooms, then if they had taken it up with the management, they would have been moved. It's no good complaining afterwards.
We hired a car for the week which was only £96 - we hadn't pre-booked, but got it from Cabrera Medina car hire just a short walk from the hotel. Excellent service. DON'T GET THROUGH THOMSONS at the hotel - much more expensive. Thomsons trips are also really expensive especially for a family - much better to hire a car and do it yourself - caves, volcano part, Playa Blanca, El Golfo, Teguise market all worth a visit. Hotel in good position, and roads easy and fairly quiet.
All in all, a really good holiday in an excellent hotel. Grounds are beautifully kept and the hotel itself is spotless. There are a few stray cats around the hotel gardens - DON'T TOUCH THEM - my son did, and got badly scratched. Excellent weather too - took cardy and wrap for the evening, but never put them on! It does have quite a breeze out there and a couple of days were very blowy, but we loved that - really cooled you down.
Hope this was a fair and useful review - I would recommend the hotel and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool.
11  Thank OxonLioness
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I travelled alone for a short beach holiday to relax. Found this a good hotel without too many issues. I was well greeted and things explained well in English, also get some info on a card with meal times etc. Room was a bit of a trek away from all the main things in hotel but not too much of an issue. Room was ok, just about has what you need. It was clean with a tv and a mini bar. There is also a safe. Ok balcony with nice view of pool and the beach. You can collect free water at reception at any time which is a nice touch. Internet access available at two areas of hotel. 1 euro for 15 mins.

Went all inclusive and there is a massive range of food of a decent standard and help yourself taps of soft drinks and beer. If you want a change you can book any of the 2 seperate restaurants on site. One is mexican and the other asian. I didnt do this as there were some nice restaurants on the main strip.

The pool was very crowded and as im a lazy bones and getting up at around 9 there were not too many seats available. There is a key on your key fob which lets you out the back way to the beach. If you prefer the beach, beware it is windy and the water is freezing and gets deep quickly.

All in all a good stay if you want the basics and are not expecting luxury.

Room Tip: Across the bridge is much quiter as its away from evening entertainment and disco.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank bergy_404
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I really struggled to decide on 3 or 4 for my rating.

After reading all the other reviews I was both interested and nervous to see what it was actually like. We stayed here from 19th - 26th July with myself, my husband and our 3 year old son.

Upon arriving as others have mentioned we were directed downstairs to lunch. Not what we wanted to do but after lunch our room was ready.

Now this is the tricky bit. The hotel is beautiful! HUGE! But beautiful. The grounds are stunning and extremely well maintained, the pools are fantastic, lots of seating everywhere and my god is it clean!

However - our room. We were in a room in the main part of the hotel near the restaurant - it was small. Just a bathroom and a room with 3 beds very close together - and VERY dated. Not what we expected at all for the amount we paid and for 4*.

The beds.....what can I say. This isn't me being picky as we had this discussion with several other couples who also agreed. Horrendous. My family always joke that I can sleep anywhere, which I can. On these mattresses? No. Rock hard that stopped me sleeping all week and made myself and my husband ache all day so much so I was taking pain killers for my back.

We also had an issue with bugs - not necessarily the hotels fault but my poor husband got eaten alive by mosquito's the 1st night. Save yourself the trouble and take insect repellent with you - and put a towel infront of the gap at the bottom of the door when you are inside.We had about 7 cockroaches crawl into our room and at one point the plug fixture fell off the wall and 3 live roaches fell out and scuttled across my floor. These all sounds awful and don't get me wrong it was - but I'm sure it was due to being on a ground floor exposed to the outside - ask for something on the 2nd floor.

LADIES - if you have any hair longer then a french crop, take a travel hair dryer. I have 1 at home i bought about 6 years ago, cost me £10 and works great. Did i bring it? No - bcoz they said they had 1. I have hair a bit longer than my shoulders - it took me 30 mins every night to dry. These awful things barely blew out any air and they burn your hand when they are on too long. It also broke....twice!

However - they are so quick at getting things fixed - even when I asked one night on the way to dinner at 8pm, when I was back in our room at 9:30 it had been fixed.

Instead of rambling on this is what we concluded from our holiday -

The hotel, the grounds and the staff are all fantastic and can't be criticized.

The food - a HUGE selection but dinner times literally made me vegetarian due to lots of the meat being unlabelled so all i could see was meat in brown sauce, meat in yellow sauce etc. The food was a little bit of 'quantity over quality'.

The cocktails and selection at the bar was fantastic and yummy! Particularly the vodka sun and pina colada. They even insisted on making non alcoholic ones for my little boy.

We only managed to get fit into the other restaurants on our 5th and 6th day due to them being booked. The Asian & Mexican was yummy (book these as much as you can!) - we gave the Canarian a miss.

The entertainment - we saw Grease and something called Jukebox - definately worth a watch. Some of the other stuff got a little annoying as they had to translate to 5 languages.

Was there a lot of Germans? I didn't really notice - it was such a mixed bunch of French, Italian, Spanish, German and English.

Sunbeds - there were loads to choose from and we just did what we always do on holiday and put towels on them in the morning - as long as we went before 9am we always had a great spot to choose from.

Nice location - we couldn't walk to puerto del carmen because of our little boy but taxis were sooooo cheap so just hop in one of them.

So......would we pay the £1900 for the 3 of us to stay here again - absolutely not! But that is almost solely based on the experience we had with our room and value for money.

Nice hotel - rooms need an update. :o)

Room Tip: Ask for second floor. If you really want to stay at this hotel - spend a little extra and book a sui...
6  Thank Bubbalou-x
Reviewed 31 July 2012

A week all-inclusive, just what we needed. The weather wasn't brilliant, but we enjoyed the hotel facilities. Well situated at the quiet end of Puerto del Carmen with a short walk to the hustle and bustle of the 'strip'. Hired a car fro three days to see the rest of the island. Hotel staff excellent, room lovely, food very good, entertainment excellent. Overall good value for the money.

Room Tip: If you relish peace and quiet, and don't mind a gentle stroll to the restaurant, Ask for a room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank FujairahFan
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We went with our daughter and our 2 grandsons, normally we would avoid peak times with all the kids etc, but we found it refreshing to once again go back to that time and enjoyed watching them enjoying themselves. The entertainment team were just as good as when we went 2 years earlier. Food still as good, sun beds could be a problem but we Brits are used to that. We noticed that gentlemen were no longer required to wear long trousers in the evening for dinner, no problem with that but many were going into the dining room as if they had just come off the beach in flip flaps etc, so standards had dropped in that respect.
Hotel and grounds/pool areas very clean and all staff friendly and helpful. Walking distance into main resort and also 10 mins from airport. Would go again

Room Tip: two hotels which are walkable over a wooden bridge, so if you have difficulty getting around request...
1  Thank paula h
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Spent a week here from 19th - 26th of July with partner, really cant understand why a small amount of people write bad reviews about this hotel (even seen one bad review because the pool side showers are cold water and no option of hot, these pool side showers are obviously here to cool down while sunbathing, why would you want them to be warm!!!!), the rooms are spotless and cleaned by friendly maids every single day, honestly not a spec of dust anywhere, the maid pulled the beds and bed side tables away from the walls every day and even cleaned under them, the grounds are kept spotless, maintenance men out every day cleaning windows, sweeping walk ways, cutting grass, and even seen them twice cleaning bird mess off the top of lamp posts, so they really do have high standards for keeping the place clean, the food is great, every night a large selection, there is something for everyone wether you are a fussy eater like myself or a simple eater like my partner, chefs constantly putting out hot food, carving beef and such from the time lunch/dinner starts until it finishes, making pancakes and such from the second breakfast starts until that closes too, the drink is fine also, ok it is NOT branded spirits, but none the less the vodka, gin, wine, all nice stuff ! We had a lovely room with a pool view down onto the "quiter pool" with the swim up bar, FREE SAFE, FREE BOTTLED WATER, FREE FRIDGE, FREE SUN TOWELS, ok it takes a few minutes to walk to dinner depending on where your room is, but why people make such a big deal about this is beyond me, do people want it to take 20 seconds to walk from one end of the resort to the other, then complain its too small and busy !? the place holds a lot of people (think theres about 500 rooms) and has 2 large pools, of course its going to take a few mins to walk from one side to another ! Recomend everybody books themselves in for a ASIAN or MEXICAN at some point (free of charge), the food in these was honestly better than a lot of expensive restaurants I have been to before ! All in all this place honestly is excellent and worth every single penny, could not fault the place at all and I admit I usually do have quite high standards on holiday, this place exceeded my high standards :) would also just like to highlight a complaint I read, someone complaining there is too many germans, for one this is not the hotels fault where people come from so unfair to mark a review "terrible" because of this, secondly, what difference does it make ? all staff speak english all signs are in several languages including english, so 90% (in my opinion) of people being German, really had no effect what so ever on our holiday ! if your looking at these reviews to make your mind up wether to book up of not, honestly dont even bother reading the bad reviews, I did but didnt take them into consideration and I would have missed out on a excellent holiday if I did believe them and didnt go !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort
Hotel Lanzarote Village
Hotel Lanzarote Village
#19 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort? Share your experiences!