“Not to RIU standard”

ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort
Ranked #19 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Arrived on a THOMSON holiday, on the Sunday,but had to miss the first coach to the hotel due to loss of my suitcase. That arrived over 25 hours later! Have got to say that the young Thomson rep in the hotel was very good over this, and he is to be commended.
Got to the hotel very late due to form-filling due to luggage loss, and deskman told us that we would be 'upgraded' to compensate. What a joke! We had to take the 150m long walkway to the annexe, where we entered our room, 3337, to find a single 5' (or maybe less) bed, and a postage-stamp balcony without any view. It was dark, but there was absolutely no view of the pool or sea that we had paid extra to have. We complained, and we were moved to another room, 3344, this time with double beds, and a larger balcony, the end of which, by craning over the edge, you could just see the pool, but no sea! The main view from this balcony was to other balconies. We tried top contact the desk, but our in-room phone did not work. However, after asking the occupants, the phone in an adjacent room did, but we were told that no other room was available, but we would be moved after lunch on Tuesday. In the meantime, my suitcase arrived over 25 hours late, at 10pm on the Monday night.
We got room 313 in the main block, and this did have a pool and sea view, albeit over plenty of flat roof areas! It was noisy at night, but otherwise ok.
It has to be said that this hotel is bursting at the seams with guests. Due to the problems that we had encountered on beginning this 'holiday'. I asked if we could have the room a bit longer than the 11am chuck-out time, on our day of departure, and the very nice young lady on the desk had to ask her day manager. He was not sympathetic, and brusquely interrupted me every time I tried to explain our earlier problems. We could not have a room, but a courtesy room would be available for a short period. This, in effect, meant that our 7 day holiday was reduced to 5 days due to the room problems on arrival, and the last day waiting in a hotel public area until the time to leave for the airport.
We found the food in the hotel quite good, although repetitive. Other Riu hotels we have stayed in offer greater variety and choice.
I think that parts of this hotel need some improvement. Walking the grounds around the excellent gardens you see a lot of broken floor tiles. Very dangerous for children's feet especially.
The staff in the hotel are generally good to excellent, and up to Riu standard, but certainly one or two let their colleagues down.
We'd not stayed all-inclusive before, and their was no finesse when we arrived and told to leave our luggage in the main entrance and our wrists literally grabbed and a wrist band placed around them. 'You do nor remove', we were told!
Hotel location is very good with access to a long, but very windy (when we were there) sandy beach, but the area is somewhat run-down with not very good shopping.

Room Tip: Main hotel rooms very noisy at night due to entertainment room being beneath. Annexe very quiet, but...
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Really glad i picked this hotel, could not ask for any better really felt welcome the staff were great always on hand to help :) Food was great sometimes abit hit or miss but overall Brilliant. Would Return for sure. Thank you to all the staff and Reps who made our holiday even better. THANKS

Room Tip: Pool side View cant go wrong, close to everything
4  Thank Adam1823
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Myself and my partner spent a winter weeks break at this hotel in Feb 2014, over all we had a great holiday, yes it was on occasion windy but the sun shone and the hotel was good.

We arrived later at night, and were offered a glass of orange juice on arrival, nice touch.
As has been said this is two hotels now being operated as one, we were allocated a room on the quiet side (other hotel) of the complex this is accessed via a long boardwalk, yes at first it feels a long way but once you find your bearings there are quicker ways back to reception or resturants via the garden walkways, in fact we enjoyed this little walk.
Location wise the hotel is on the airport side of the resort in a quiet stretch but with easy walking distance of shops bars and the start of the main strip.

The room was a bit dated but was clean well maintained and comfortable with anice big balcony and sea view. No complaints. Maid service was daily and agian we had no issues.

Meals are served in the main resturant near to the reception, now this has a bit of a canteen feel and the tables are cllose together, but you cant fault the staff who are excellant at keeping things moveing and clearing any dirty plates out the way. The choice in here could I think become a bit repetitive, however there are three themed resturants on offer that have to be pre booked at reception but can be used as many times as you like we ate here 4 of our 7 nights, tice in the asian and once each in the Cannarian and Mexican. All good, but best for us was the Asian.

Pool: we used the pool on our side of the complex away from the main reception and bar, it has iots own poolside bar serveing snacks and lunch that was open from 1000 till 1800 each day. It also has a swim up bar that was open on our stay and is in the heated side of the pool. Sunbeds are a bit close but there alre plenty of them and since this side is a bit quieter we really like our spot.
The nighttime entertaiment is by the hotel entertainment team, cant really commnet on this as we never really went to see it other than 5 mins here and there.
The only bars open at night are in the main part of the complex undrneat reception, now in summer I am sure this is fine but in winter despite the all to sparse gas space heaters, its cold the wind whistles thow it, Hotel Managment really need to look at this for winter, there is no reason they could not install tempoary plastic covers/blinds to the front of the porch and at a stroke heat the place up !!!!!! and in so doing increase the enjoyment for guests.
One other thing is which cant be explained, other than cost cutting, there is a nice indoor space in the quiet side of the hotel which looks like it was previously a reception/bar, if this was used with say piped easy listening music, I am sure the hotel would have a winner,... and reduce the number of people trying to squezze around the space heaters in the porch on the main side.
This was the one major downside of the complex and I heard many a guest mentioning it.
So come on Riu address this issue for winter guests.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the hotel, so in value for money terms it was worth it. Enjoy you stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BlueNoseBrother
Reviewed 17 March 2014

one of the best hotels ive stayed in :) this hotel should be a 5 star the whole holiday we felt welcomed by all staff. always on hand to help. would deffo go back, our reps were top class aswel :) sometimes the food was abit hit or miss. but apart from that 100% top value for money, many thanks to all at Riu :)

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank adamlaura1
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Chose a Riu hotel as we have stayed at the Riu Tequilla in Mexico and oh dear this was a mistake.
The hoel in general is good but the food is appalling with very limited choice and variety throughout our stay. If you like pork you will enjoy the meals but after the third day and it been cooked and presented the same way it become tedious. The lunchtime snacks are equally boring with a highly skilled chef specialising in hot dogs and burgers every day.
The evening entertainment does not start until 9.15pm and finishes prompt at 10.15pm due to the fact that almost all of it is mimed to a tape. The "crazy night" was the best as this was mostly unrehearsed and very good.
We booked a room with pool view and this is what we got unfortuatly to see the pool we needed to stand on a chair.
Would not return to this hotel and in serious thoughts whether to book another Riu hotel .

Room Tip: Dont eat pork at home for at least a week before you travel
5  Thank malcolmc125
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed at Paraiso from 23 Feb - 3rd Mar. Weather was sunny, but there was a cold breeze, however once out of the wind, it was very pleasant. We were holidaying with friends and our rooms were 3310 & 3311 - sun on balcony from 11am until sunset, overlooking the well attended grounds and the "bridge". (Wind blew across the bridge)
Food was very good and never had a problem finding a table and the head guy/waiter always found a table for the four of us. We also ate at the Asian, Mexican and Canarian (Canarian was our favourite!). (Tip - book these restaurants when you arrive as they are very popular).
The reception staff were very helpful, cheerful and pleasant. We asked for extra pillows on first afternoon and they were in our rooms that evening. The cleanliness of our rooms, swimming pool area, the grounds, restaurants, everywhere was excellent.
Agree with the comments about the bar in the evenings. It would be a good idea to have removable panels to enclose the bar area during the winter months, but it must be lovely during the summer.
Hired a car from Cabrera Medina just along the road for 3 days.
If I was going to return to the Paraiso I would take my own hairdryer, some jeans and a thick jumper /jacket (during the winter), and if I had room in my case, I would take some towels as the hotel's ones were small and in need of replacing.
Would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Janette56
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Riu Paraiso from 2nd-9th March, flying with Thomson from Bournemouth. This is our second stay at a Riu but we have both travelled a fair bit, in all inclusives and otherwise so feel in a good position to make a relative judgement of the hotel and area.

Overall, we had a lovely, chilled week and enjoyed ourselves. The hotel has many good points and some bad but generally is on par with other all inclusives I have stayed in. For ease of reading, I will break my review down into sections.

Room

Prior to arrival I had emailed ahead to request a room in the main building, with a double bed, on a higher level floor. When we arrived, we were given floor 3 but in the annexe section of the hotel and with twin beds! I was a tad disappointed to be honest, as prior emailing has generally always managed to secure the room we wanted in other places. In addition to this, the room we were given was pretty underwhelming and at first, I felt like it was one of the worst rooms in the hotel, location and decor wise! That being said, after a few days, I could see the walk to the main hotel wasn't too bad and I started to get used to the vile brown curtains and dated decor and furniture! On a positive note, the balcony we had was huge and the room was immaculately clean which on balance is always the most important thing. As other reviewers have said, they do need a refurb but are just about adequate.

The food was pretty good, I could always find something I liked and we ate the Mexican, Asian and Canarian a la carte ( but still buffet!) restaurants. I felt they were all around the same standard as each other and a little better than the main buffet and made a nice change. Other reviewers have pointed out how the main restaurant can be very busy, this didn't bother us too much as we tended to breakfast late, at around 9:45am and then eat later for dinner and always managed to find a table. However, we did find it annoying when one day at lunch they wouldn't open half of the seating in the restaurant and therefore this meant lots of people had nowhere to sit, my boyfriend tried to explain this to the waiter but he wasn't impressed and nothing got done about it! Drinks were ok quality, barmen gave me a mojito without any rum (not sure if this deliberate but definitely didn't ask for a virgin one!) and it was horrid, cocktails are pre made mixers and not made fresh which put me off so I stuck to amaretto and coke which was much better! The soft and hot drinks were really nice and available self service, all day. It was nice to see the drink areas kept clean and tidy and to be able to get sparkling water for a change!

Facilities

The hotel has a great selection of activities, my boyfriend played volleyball and there was always something going on which was good as when the weather was a bit chilly, it was nice to have the option for other things to do. I only went in the pool once as it was a bit cold for my liking but it was lovely and clean. We went to the nightclub once and this was a fun, although not many people there.

Area

The hotel is in a fab location and is close to the main strip area of Puerto Del Carmen but easily accessible for other areas. We hired bikes from Renner Bikes (great service) and cycled alongside the clifftop to Puerto Calero (a tad tricky) and hired a car for a day with Cabrera Medina. We tried to book with Avis as a rep comes to the hotel, however, we could never find her and the shop was always shut so we went with the cheaper option and it was perfect. We found car hire a much cheaper way to see the island and was hassle free. We like to go out and about as much as possible, tried to ask for advice from the Thomson rep and felt like they were obviously trying to put us off doing this off our own back because they wanted us to buy the excursions from them, normally I will do this if they are good value but I think they were quite clearly overpriced.

Service/Staff

The animation team were great and friendly, reception staff appeared friendly and helpful but didn't feel that they were actually good at doing what they said they were going to! On day 1 I asked for some extra pillows and a mattress topper and received neither so my boyfriend called at reception at midnight on day 2 and in the end, he had to get the pillows himself so we could have them that night, we never did see the mattress topper! I don't mind if things can't be done straight away, it's just annoying when they say they will do something and you never hear a word about it. In addition to this, I have seen another review complaining about the courtesy room service for late check outs and we too had a rubbish experience, we booked a 30 min slot for our last day but were told at our allocated time that the previous people booked in had thought it was an 1hr slot and were refusing to leave! We explained that this wasn't our fault and that surely, the people in there should leave to allow us to have our booked time so we could shower etc but this fell on deaf ears. In the end we were directed to a shower room with toilet which was wasn't the best. Our general opinion was that this hotel generally caters for the older clientele in the off peak seasons and therefore, being a younger couple, we were "messed around" a bit more and received slightly worse service because they knew we were less likely to complain. This was disappointing as we paid a fair bit for a weeks holiday and would expect the same service as others.

All in all, we had a lovely week away and I would recommend this hotel to someone else but I think it lacked the wow factor and there was little about the hotel that would make it really stand out from others. I had read a few reviews beforehand and felt I knew what to expect so wasn't disappointed and if you go with the same expectations then I am sure most people would feel the same. As an aside, we had good weather and I came home with a great tan, despite thinking I wouldn't so this is definitely a good choice for some Winter sun, although it was a bit chilly in the evenings so would take a jacket!

3  Thank miniv15
Hipotels La Geria
Hipotels La Geria
#11 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort

Been to ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort? Share your experiences!