“avoid if you have a child with special needs..........”
Review of Hotel Floresta

Hotel Floresta
Ranked #17 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 1 June 2014

i stayed here 17th-27th may.,I am appalled.I was assured by the holiday company this was a great hotel for people with special needs?(NO) .my 6yr old son is autistic so we where treated like second class citizens by staff and guests alike.my son was threatened by a German man, another told me to tell him to shut his mouth, we got tuted at stared at, my 2yr old was shouted at. The play leader Lucy wouldn't let my son play the games.....what sort of play leader doesn't let kids play? there was nothing at all for younger kids. The staff found it hard to cope ,even in may. Worst thing ,I reported to reception staff my 17yr old daughter was followed back from the shops by a man in a white van, she was abrupt, said maybe he wanted directions?(don't think so) local asking a holiday maker?. The food was cold, the staff was rude,appart from Nathan 1 of the activity leaders & 1 of the bar staff. Overall it was a holiday from hell. I would never stay here again even if it was free.£2000,i was robbed. Oh there where cockroaches every morning to great us.accually they done a better job than the staff.

Room Tip: ask for one that doesn't smell of dampness.
6  Thank Avril F
Ulrike B, Reception at Hotel Floresta, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello Avril F:
We are very sorry if you couldn't enjoy your holidays the way you expected. We are sure that our staff treats all our guests friendly and helpfully and your children haven't been treated badly by any of us. Both you and us have been in contact with your rep about the situation you mention in your review and think the situation has been handles correctly in any way.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

had a lovely holiday at floresta, the best bits the food roast lamb, roast turkey,beef, steak,chops and fish and much more all fresh and well presented and chips and new potatoes pasta. rice salad and more. drinks are cheap and so are the snacks. the pools are large and a bit chilliy but the kids didnt mind that, lots of lounger and sun brollys. one of the large pool is busier than the others, the grounds are well kept and clean, the club is large and comfy the entertainment is only suitable for children eg parrott shows, reptile shows and not too bad singers, but only for a hour ish, occ bingo too, the hotel is about 100 metres from beach , 3km from airport taxi fare 11 euros plenty of taxis outside airport, pocilos is a small quiet resort not bustling, but its only a 20 min walk or 5 min bus to del carmen witch is very lively,lastly the rooms, spacious ,clean, balcony/terrace small kitchen with 2 rings and microwave with oven and a large fridge/ freezer, free air con in room and ceiling fan in bedrooms/ hairdryer and tv with disney chanel , true movies and world news , the complex is only 2 floors and family friendly, on the day you leave you can book your room for 30 euros or if not available they have a courtesy room with towels and shower for free, u have to book that the morning of your departure and u can have the room for half hour u pick the time slot, hope this helps u to make your mind up about ur hol, i would def go back but i would only recc this complex for familys with children up to the age of 10, couples and teens would prob find it too quiet,

Room Tip: if u have kids ask for a pool veiw / or for others mountain veiw i stopped in 1414 mountain veiw bri...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Julie D
Ulrike B, Reception at Hotel Floresta, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hello Julie d:
Thanks for your detailled review about your first stay in Floresta which you have obviously enjoyed a lot. It seems that you were very satisfied with all our services and and apart from the hotel enjoyed as well the beach and the surroundings.
We hope it won't be your last stay in Floresta.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

First things first, I am going to remember that this is a 3 star hotel and not a 5 star, and that we paid a realitivly small amount per person to stay here all inclusively for a week in May...

We travelled as a family- me, my husband, 2 children (aged 10 and 5) and my mum to this hotel last week. We have never visited Lanzarote or the hotel before, and after reading the reviews, were not sure what to expect!

We arrived at the hotel at about 7pm, and were greeted by a friendly lady on reception, who explained everything to us (mealtimes ect) and pointed us in the direction of our apartment. We arrived and wow! We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the 2 bedroomed apartment we had been given. There were 2 large bedrooms with ceiling fans, and a sofa bed in the living room/kitchen area. We had asked for ground floor and had a lovely veranda with table and 4 chairs on it. We had a fridge, hobs, microwave and cupboard space in the kitchen and a lovely sized bathroom. Cleaners came in 5 times a week, and replaced the towels at the same time. The bed were nice- firm but I personally like that- but the pillows were rubbish. They were scrunchy, so whenever I moved the noise woke me up! This was the only thing I could fault about the room, but I put a blanket over the pillow and it made it a thousand times better.

The hotel itself was lovely- so clean and lots of room. There are 4 pools- a large adult and childs pool in the centre next to the pool bar, and a smaller one a short walk through the complex. The pools are a little chilly, but they are OK once you get in. The main pools are saltwater, so try not to accidently take a gulp!! There are plenty of sunbeds around the pool, and we never had any trouble getting one, at any time of the day. Also in the grounds are tennis courts (didn't visit them, but they looked good!) mini golf (lots of fun, some of the holes are a bit challenging for little ones!) a park, table football, pool table and the allotments where they grow fruit and veg for the restaurant, which I thought was quite nice!

The location of the hotel is brilliant. There is a spar supermarket right outside the hotel and a McDonalds a short walk away if you fancy it. It was a 10 minute drive from the airport, which is ideal if you have young children (or grumpy husbands!) with you. There is a beach just across the road, which is really big so never over crowded- this can get VERY hot in the sunshine though, so dont take your shoes off until you are at the sea! There is also a promanade of shops, bars and restaurants along the seafront, so its a nice stroll in the sunshine. Lots of the bars and restaurants were offering 3 course meals for 12 euros, which is a bargain if you fancy a change of meal!

One of the first shops is Last Minute Excursions. I would recommend popping in here if you wanted a trip out. They were very helpful and cheap too! We went on a trip to the zoo, volcanoes and market with them, and they were very reliable and the tour guides were good fun!

The trips we went on were a mixed bag- The volcanoes were a must see- they took you up into the volcanoes, through craters and into a restaurant where they cooked food from the heat of the volcano.... amazing! If you took your shoes off, you can feel the heat through the floor! There was also a chance to ride a camel for 6 euros each. This 25 minute ride was a hit with my 10 year old!

We also visited the Market. It was great and we got some great bargains! This trip was 4 euros an adult (12 euros if you booked through hotel) and well worth it!

We also visited Rancho Texas zoo. I wouldn't go back here- it was very expensive (85 euros all together!) for a zoo we walked abound in 30 mins. But there were some shows (birds of prey and sea lions) which were quite nice.

The entertainment in the hotel was.... patchy. Each evening (except Fridays) started with a Mini Disco, which both my 2 loved! There was also a bit of bingo- cheesy but a bit of fun for all! Then there was a show... Some of these were awful. (The parrot show in particular- sorry!) But some others were better. The comedy Magician and the Flamenco dancers were very good, It was hotel entertainment, so i guess its what you make it! We had a giggle each night, even if it was an "Its so bad its good" moment!

The childrens entertainers did a good job- especially Nathan, who was fantastic. He got all the kids up and dancing as well as a lot of the adults! Lucie was good too, just seemed to be lacking a little bit of confidence? My 2 didn't go to the kids clubs during the day but they were always off doing something when we saw them! Only comment was we did see Lucie on her phone a lot when she was in charge of the children, not a big deal with the bigger ones, but maybe an extra eyes should be kept on the little ones.

Now for the food- I am a very fussy eater, so I know that there is not always a lot for me. Looking at the food there was always plenty of choice. Meats and fish a plenty at lunch and dinner as well as salads, pastas, soups, fruits, veg, cakes and ice cream. The meat and fish was being cooked fresh in front of you which was nice! There was always rice, chips and pasta available, which pleased the children. Breakfast was the worst meal- no variation at all. I understand there is only so much you can do with breakfast, but I have been to many different places who have managed it, and felt maybe more could be done. There was only ever streaky bacon, frankfurter sausages and overcooked fried eggs! I often just had croissants as I couldn't find anything to take my fancy. They had theme nights it the restaurant. While we were there we had Chinese, Italian and Mexican, all of which were delicious! Only thing is it wasn't always hot, just luke warm! The food was not the best, but again thinking about what we paid for the holiday, it certainly wasn't bad! The only thing i would say is that there was not a lot of choice for vegetarians- all I could see was vegetables and the same pasta bake everyday, so I wouldn't recommend if you don't eat meat. The pool bar also did food between 12 and 4, which was delicious! Burgers, hot dogs, toasted sandwiches, nuggets (Cheap brown chicken though!) and amazing chips! Made a nice change if you were chilling at the pool. 2 complaints about the restaurant- 1. there very very few large tables. We travelled as a group of 5, and often had to sit apart. and 2. the drinks system. All Inclusive guests have to queue at the bar, so remember to do this before you get food, or it will be colder than usual!!

Drinks! OMG I don't know how anyone could say they are watered down! They were obviously all locally produced drinks, but were all lovely, my husband particularly enjoyed the Tequila Sunrise, which was always more tequila than sunrise!!!!!!!!

I would say that there needs to be more staff on duty! At the pool bar, often there was only one member of staff working during the day. He was there to serve drinks, cook and serve food as well as clear up the tables?! Not possible! There needs to be more. The staff did brilliantly, but obviously the queues built up and it could often take a while to get food. This IS NOT a complaint against the staff- just the management of rotas?!

Overall we really enjoyed our week away. We paid 3 star price and got a lovely 3 star place to stay. We would definitely think about returning. Our main points would be this:

1. New pillows please!
2. More staff at the bar, especially during busy time
3. Think about vegetarians in the restaurant
4. More larger tables, especially at dinner time

Room Tip: We were in room A101. Close to the pools and bars but far enough away from and noise! xx
8  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Book an all inclusive holiday with on the beach 22/05/14 to 29/05/14. I was not sure if I had made the right choice booking through on the beach after reading a lot of bad reviews about on the beach.

Floresta is a very friendly hotel with friendly staff, nice food and is a clean hotel. There is plenty of entertainment for kids Nathan and Lucie are great. it has 2 big and 2 small pools. Rooms are nice size and they are cleaned 5 days a week. It was a very enjoyable holiday and will go back there again.

Negative points
1.It's not 4* hotel as I have booked, the sign on the hotel entrance shows 3*, but having said that service was excellent.

2.There is building work behind the hotel and you can visibly see the crane from the main pool.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Syndyze M
Ulrike B, Reception at Hotel Floresta, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Hello Snydyze M:
We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay in Floresta and found the staff very friendly (especially Nathan and Lucie), the food good and the apartments very clean. What we don't understand is that you thought Floresta would be a four star hotel since it is everywhere marked as a three star hotel, but in the end this didn't seem to bother you since you said that the service was excellent.
We hope you will be back soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I wouldn't recommend a stay here unless your over the age of atleast 40. It was sooo boring, had more or less same acts on for entertainment, during the day there was generally nothing to do unless you are a child and can go to the kids club. All staff where pleasant and friendly to talk to, especially Nathan who spoke to everyone in all languages. Same food on every day for breakfast lunch and dinner- not to mention chips for breakfast. First and most Definetly my last visit at this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Carlam96

Hello Carlam96:
We are very sorry that you consider you holiday to have been boring. Actually all age groups are represented in our hotel - from younger to older couples and families with younger and older children. Furthermore we consider to have quite a big variety of food in the restaurant apart from the three theme nights we offer during the week.
Again we are sorry that you couldn't enjoy your holiday the way you expected.
Many greetings from your Hotel-Floresta-Team.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just returned 27/5/14 from a really great all inclusive family holiday at FLORESTA, Lanzarote.
Good Points:
1. Apartment was spacious with 2 double bedrooms, large living area, kitchenette and balcony.
2. The room was cleaned and tidied 5 days per week and was left immaculate
3. Ceiling fans in the bedrooms were ideal as it was warm
4. Food - The food was actually better than we expected with up to 4 choices of meat each lunch and evening. Loads of vegetables, fish, cold meats and cheeses, pasta, soups, puddings, fruit - it really would be harsh to fault the food, probably best to eat though at opening times in the restaurant to guarantee the food all being hot.
5. Pools - 2 large pools and 2 pools for youngsters - the small pools are 50cm and 60cm in depth so pretty safe for all ages if supervised. The smaller pools warm up far quicker than the large ones as you will probably hear the shrill screams of someone going in the big pool a bit too early !!
6. Pool bar - great for coffees and snacks and is undercover
7. Staff - a. Pool bar staff very friendly
b. Reception staff all speak fluent English, german and Spanish and are vey helpful
c. Entertainment staff - 2 people run this really, Nathan and Lucie.
Nathan - speaks 4 languages fluently and is like the pied piper as all the children love him to bits and follow him round all day. He is very friendly, speaks to everyone in their language and is basically the frontline face of the hotel. Raegan loved him to bits.
Lucie - ran most of the activities including kids club at 10:30 plus the hourly games. She is very pleasant but not as fluent in conversing however my little lad still loved her to bits.
I think that Floresta are on to a winner with these 2 as long as they look after them
Mini Disco at 8:30 each day apart from Friday is basically attended by all children for 30 minutes of disco dancing songs, Nathan and Lucie are even joined by loads of parents as everyone seems to enjoy it.
8. Entertainment - You either love it or hate it but we were so intent on enjoying the holiday that we watched all the shows. Magicians, singers, dancers, birds of prey show, the good old parrot show and bingo !!
9. Drinks - alcohol served from 11am - 11pm and we never saw anyone drunk in the whole fortnight, no one abused the 12 hour sessions.
Slight Negative Points:
1. Availability of ice creams for kids in the hot weather - you could not get one from the pool bar until 4pm - if you wanted ice cream you had to get dressed and go to the restaurant between 1pm and 3pm
2. Building work - very close by but even when you sit round the pool you cannot hear it despite seeing a 50 foot crane in the background. Certain apartments would be overlooking the building work so you may wish to check on your room allocation.
3. Beds/pillows - not the most comfortable but we did sleep fairly well, if struggling have a few more brandies at last orders !!
OTHER USEFUL INFO:
1. Spar shop located less than 50 meters from the front entrance of the hotel
2. McDonalds located 100 meters to the left of the hotel in case of emergency food needs !!
3. 03 Bus departs at least 6 times per hour to take you to Puerto del Carmen main town at 1 euro 35 cents per journey so slightly more than a pound
4. Same bus goes in the opposite direction taking you to Costa Teguise - unsure of fare though sorry
5. 15 minute coach transfer from airport so ideal
6. less than 100m walk to the massive empty beach
7. The area around the hotel and promenade is very flat so suits everyone
8. Lovely 30 minute walk along the sea front to the airport - this is a popular walk with parents and buggies most early afternoons getting the 1 hour sleep run done to keep little ones awake for the evening entertainment
9. Teguise market on sundays well worth a visit - use the hotel to book the tour at 12 euros per person or cross over the road to LAST MINUTE travel centre for 4 euros per person
10. If going in to Puerto main town for shopping we can recommend the BLUE MARLIN for a light lunch, one of only a few sea front restaurants where you DO NOT have the usual person stood outside tempting you in, they just let you wander in at you own choice and serve great food.
11. When leaving - speak to reception on the day you are leaving, early, and they book you in for a 30 minute slot in a free shower room to change and refresh before your flight. No point paying to keep your room on just use this facility. Cases are locked away separately in a store room.
In all then a great holiday, location and friendly place to stay.

Room Tip: K block and J Block are away from the pool area and are also furthest from the building work.
8  Thank mike w

Hello Mike w:
Thank you for your very detailled desription of your holiday in Floresta. It seems that you had a great time. You especially mentiond the very tidy apartments, the great variety of food and the friendliness of all the staff - thanks especially for the compliments for Nathan and Lucie for the great job they are doing.
We hope very much that in the near future you will come back to Floresta.

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This is my second time to stay here. Last time was with friends this time was with boyfriend. Absolutely love this hotel. Excellent rooms, thoroughly cleaned during the week. Lovely friendly staff with excellent English amongst other languages. Just few minutes outside of centre so nice and quiet during the day. Would recommend getting taxi from airport as it's only ten euro. Would recommend Morgan irish bar near the beach for lovely food. Spar beside the hotel is brilliant for people on self catering. Can't comment on food as we never ate there but looked great for families. Unfortunately we had few cloudy days but hotel had some activities such as zorbing in pool, scuba diving and some giant board games. Only negative was that there was building work going on outside our apartment but that was another hotel so not Floresta fault at all. I have mobility issues and requested a ground floor apartment near the reception which I got and would recommend for anyone else with such issues. Best perk for me was that our flight wasn't until evening but the hotel let us put bags into a safe room, stay by pool and then freshen up and shower before we left. It's definitely a 4 star in my opinion and I will certainly be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank aweller88

Hello aweller88:
We are delighted that you had a great stay - the first time with some friends and now with you boyfriend which proves that you were very satisfied with our services. You especially mentioned the excellent rooms with the good cleaning, the perfect location of the room for you and the daytime activities.
In your opinion our hotel is definetely a 4 star hotel which makes us very proud.
We hope you will be back soon.