“Really, really lovely complex”

Hotel Puerto Carmen
Ranked #57 of 95 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
“Really, really lovely complex”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was dreading my holidays to the Aparthotel PuertoCarmen!! But I needn't have worried.
We stayed here in May 2014. The apartment (235) was excellent. It was very clean, very well equipped and very comfortable. We were overlooking the tennis court so it was lovely and quiet.
The staff in the reception and bar and cleaners were so nice and helpful, they couldn't do enough for us. We stayed self-catering so I can't comment on the food but the food in the bar at lunch time was grand.
The pool was smaller than I was expecting but it was very clean and well maintained (the sun loungers could do with a bit of an upgrade though!!!)
The complex seems to be having a bit of a face lift which is great. There was some work being done on the outside of the building while we were there but it didn't cause any disruption.
The only complaint that I have (and I'm really nit picking here!) is that the WiFi is really bad - it's €3 for 3 hours but can only be used in reception or in the room and the signal is very, very weak.
Other than that, we had a great time and would definitely go back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank su77oneill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
rep ireland
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here for 7 days . these are very basic could do with painting badly. Not very clean inside . Room bedroom window was slightly broken as well . Very little sockets as well. Gardens are beautiful . Sun loungers a lot of them could do with been thrown out . Shops hairdressers pharmacy bars restaurants a few mins away. Staff were exceptional Sandra and Mohamad were just lovely very helpful. The do not have a special room for your baggage on your day of return,you just are expected to leave it inside the door. Not very safe. Wifi only in reception. Rooms had toasters kettles microwave. All in all got a late deal which was great and I would come back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taxinephets
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here last summer. We got a good deal with Sunway and didn't expect the place to be great seen as it was quite cheap. The apartment was clean, spacious and lovely. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We were on a ground floor apartment however that the back window looked out onto a quiet alleyway and at night we could hear young lads screaming and shouting sometimes bottles being smashed! Was a little scary to say the least, I spent most nights lying in bed praying someone would not break in! But apart from that the place was exactly what we paid for, cheap and cheerful! If I was staying I would strongly recommend not staying in a ground floor apartment! :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank leethebaker
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed in apartment 513, lovely big private, sunny balcony and had a pool view. Really nice spacious apartments. Quite basic but clean and bright. Huge safe the size of a mini fridge. We were on 2nd floor. Friendly staff. Bit of an uphill walk back from beach (about 10 minute walk) but very near the old town where all the nice restaurants are (4-5 min walk), also near shopping centre. Spar 2 mins from apartments.
We didn't mind the walk as once we were down to the beach, we were there for the day.
Didn't eat here so can't comment on the food. Lovely big reception area with free wifi.
Would recommend for a cheap break as they normally are quite reasonably priced. Great for a relaxing holiday as so spacious and a lovely balcony and pool area.

Room Tip: ask for pool view as I think some rooms look out to the road. Also there is no lift -- there are onl...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank loula76
Co.durham UK
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend Stayed here in August 2013 (both age 23), wasn't sure what to expect when our transport from the airport was driving us through the town at 10pm, full of Irish bars, karaoke, bright lights, English people everywhere, felt like I entered a mini Benidorm (sorry if iv caused offence). Anyway we arrived at the hotel and it all seemed nice enough, clean room, nice little apartment. When we woke we went for breakfast, really looking forward to the half board we had paid for. My god...do not even bother paying half board! I thought people were just being picky when I read the reviews on here about the food, but seriously it was bad! No choice, didn't have proper milk, it was that powder stuff you add water to, horrible. Tea was even worse, we literally had a choice between chicken, chips, carrots and something else...thank god there was a few supermarkets a short walk away. The pool area was nice, but standard having to get up early to get your towels on the sunbeds, but that wasn't really a big issue. Spent the first few nights on the main strip, it was alright, as I say wasn't my taste, but was fun having a look around the shops, and strolling on the opposite side of the road where the beach was. Finally on our 3rd night we found our traditional little Spanish village, with Spanish restaurants (surprisingly hard to find, England has taken over) and it was stunning. We went to a fish restaurant right on the cliff edge, over looked the sea at sunset, and they did some fab cocktails, so I was happy! Just a shame the hotels food was horrible, and there was loads of families with really badly behaved children, and parents on that note! One kid though it would be funny to kick a live cockroach in the pool, and another family were shouting at their children who looked no older than 3 using words I wouldn't be allowed to post on here. I wouldn't go here again, but I still enjoyed it and made the most of it. P.s. Ignore the people who have nothing better to do that take pictures of a bit of dirt behind the toilet, or a mark on the shower curtain. You're not paying over the odds, it's a Spanish Island, what do you expect!? I'm a clean freak and there wasn't a problem! Cleaned everyday.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Beth M
St Helens
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We arrives late for our villa and couldn't get in so this hotel was the nearest to us at the time and we were pleasantly surprised . The rooms were basic but spacey and the staff were nice. The facilities looks decent and clean. The pool looked fab. We only stayed one night but it was just the trick. Even when we left our Villa at the end of the week they let us store our cases till the end of the day very helpful as we had a late flight.

Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Jezza_Bella123
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed here for a week in March and we were not very impressed. We paid 25€ for the internet for the week which we couldn't even connect to in our room (which was all the way at the very back and not easy to find), we had to come down to the pool or reception to connect. When we asked about it the receptionist took 3 days to get back to us and said there was nothing they could do and we couldn't get a refund as we had used it too much, even though it wasn't in our room.
The housekeepers don't seem to do anything, not even top up the toilet roll. The beds are the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on they are like rocks and the sofa isn't much better. There never seemed to be enough hot water for the two of us to have a shower so good luck if your a group of 4.
The pool was freezing so we didn't go in and the sun loungers have seen better days most of them have massive dips where the material has sagged and again are quite uncomfortable.
Overall it was ok the staff were very polite and friendly but very basic,everything seems to be an add on and you have to pay for tv, an iron etc. it is set in a lovely place but needs some work, we probably won't return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends