“66 year old Shropshire OAP”
Review of Relaxia Olivina

Relaxia Olivina
Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“66 year old Shropshire OAP”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 week break, 16th Jan - 13th feb. Wow what a lovely surprise after reading the reviews, the whole place is great the food, the staff, the accommodation the place and the resort, we stayed in an apartment over looking the volley ball court 322 suited us perfectly as we do not mind walking preferring the piece and quiet, all the appliances worked so a cup of tea can be made and the fridge keeps the free water and wine cool, we asked for extra pillows and blankets, got them within half an hour, asked for a kettle got it on the second day, never asked for anything else. Met some lovely French, German and Norwegians as well as English people, our generation really do no how lucky we are even if neither can speak the others language you will still have a laugh. We E-mailed the week before asking for a nice quiet first floor apartment and that's what we got, we did meet two English couples who were not happy but we met many others who thought the same as us. The entertainment is biased towards the French, they are the majority but there was some good entertainment in English so you pick and choose. All in all we had a fantastic holiday, thanks to all the lovely staff. PS had caviar one night on the salad bar.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank michael d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I selected this hotel after having stayed at other RIU locations and being on previous Thomson holidays and expected the same good service and package here.
I had previously emailed the hotel asking for a ground floor room which was provided on arrival.
The site is in 2 parts, the hotel with dining and entertainment facilities with a pool attached and the apartments with a further pool and a bar area.
I stayed in an apartment and although a bit tired was acceptable and well serviced. The staff were always friendly and accommodated all requests.
The standard of food and its service was very good.
The drinks are all local and in some instances do have strange tastes.
The proximity of the complex to the local shops, bars and restaurants is very close.
The Thomson rep at the resort was slightly disinterested and very non committal. The only thing he seemed to enjoy was being left branded toiletries by returning guests as in his words they were very expensive to buy out here.
Now we come to heart of a good holiday. When I select a holiday I expect the tour operators to be honest. My interpretation of honesty is freedom from deceit or fraud. The Thompson brochure made this statement, " There’s also a great evening entertainment programme here which features live music and dancing shows several times a week." This may well be true but what was not included was that ALL entertainment was in French. Therefore I believe that Thomson and RIU are actively involved in fraud and deceiving the British holiday maker by false representation.
I would like Thomson and RIU to respond to this accusation and explain to all of the British guests who pay their staff wages why their advertising on line and in brochures is misleading. Once they have responded to me I will take up the issue with the Advertising Standards Agency and ask them to look into the matter. If it is found that their advertising is misleading then I also believe that all customers that went to the Olivina after the French entertainment company secured the contract should be offered compensation by both firms.
I have now made a conscious decision to never again book any Thomson or RIU holiday because in my opinion they are both dishonest and do not care about their clients.
I have read through all of the comments that have previously been made about this resort and accept that changes are sometimes necessary but this should never be to the detriment of the guest. Thomson and RIU need to ensure a happy medium and if that means that this resort is now solely for French occupation then so be it. But if this is the case then please remove it from your brochures as you will be losing a lot more customers and if you lose customers then your businesses will fail.
If Thomson or RIU want to discuss this matter further then please leave a contact email address and I will contact you? Could Thomson and RIU also declare if the French guests are paying more for their stay? I spoke to other nationalities who were staying there and they were also not happy at their non inclusion. These included Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians.

Room Tip: Several apartments have trees just outside which block all sun light from the rooms and balconies...
8 Thank Stuart D
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had been to the hotel last year about this time and enjoyed it. Excellent location and friendly staff. However our main criticism this year is that it is now the base for the Club Marmara. This is a French club which actually advertises itself as offering entertainment which is 100% French (have checked this since our return). Although we are not over-bothered about evening entertainment this was booked as all inclusive but as the bar area was taken up by totally French entertainment every evening, it was impossible to find a space to have a (quiet) drink either before or after dinner. The French entertainment team only included French guests. Both daytime activities such as children's club and evening entertainment only in French. We've also discovered from the French website that they have free Wifi available to them in the reception area. We have nothing against the French - both speaking fluent French - but unfortunately we would not return to this hotel again. It was much better last year when there was a better mix of nationalities where we felt included. The holiday did not turn out to be as inclusive as claimed.

7 Thank R_A617
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have just returned from a week at the Olivina. I was sceptical after reading some of the reviews already on here, when we first booked with Thomson's the reviews seemed to be generally okay but as time went on so the comments became more and more negative, so we went in fearing the worst. We were allocated one of the one bedroom apartments, yes it was somewhat dated but kept very clean by the housekeeping team and we had no issues with sewage smells. At the end of the day I don't go on holiday to spend time in my room, if I wanted to stay indoors all day I'd stay at home!
The food was fine, plenty of choice - I think some of the negative comments on here regarding the food are misplaced. The only thing we didn't like was the afternoon when they advertised snacks between 3.30 and 5.30pm, the snacks turned out to be some dry sponges, a bit of fresh fruit and some ice cream - disappointing.
The biggest issue at this hotel is most definitely the lack of entertainment provided, I believe an element of the all inclusive experience is about including everyone - not the case if you're English in this hotel. If you rely heavily on staying on site in the evening and are relying on the animation team to entertain you at this hotel - THINK AGAIN! As previously mentioned the amateurish animation team delivered everything in French and to be honest the standards were pretty poor. For us not an issue as we went out after the first experience, however we paid for an all-inclusive package but felt we were forced into going elsewhere to spend our evenings. I feel misled by Thomson's regarding this aspect of our holiday, there has clearly been a change since I made my booking regarding the entertainment on site but Thomson's failed to bring that to our attention. Additionally the venue for the evening entertainment is very small, I dread to think what it would be like there in the summer months when the hotel is at capacity. We visited the other Riu hotel nearby (Playa Paraiso) and would suggest that you consider that above the Olivina, people we spoke to were very complimentary about it.
Plus side: great location, near to beach and a short walk to shops; all staff we came into contact with on reception, housekeeping and the restaurant were polite.
Minus side: Terrible entertainment, okay if you speak French or German but if English is your language then steer well clear.
General: If you want to go to the market in Costas Teguise avoid going with Thomson, they charge 16 euros pp for the privilege. Go along the road towards the shops in Puerto del Carmen, there is a company that charge 4 euros pp. Public transport is easy to use and cheapish and the buses run regularly. Taxis are significantly more expensive than the buses.

9 Thank discoverer186338
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Just returned:
Food - Excellent choice and fresh, didn't bother eating out once
Booze - Lager Cruzcampo, box draught wine, local spirits
Venue- Excellent spot away from the noise, but easy walking distance to shops bars beach... 5 mins
Hotel- All very compact, bar restaurant, pool, and very clean
Room- Very quite, ideal space coat hangers etc. for two people, plus free safe in room
Guests- French / German/ Dutch/Italian/ UK in that ratio. Mostly +60 whilst I was there, so you tend not to see too much of them during the day apart from meals etc. Also don't think they are rude perhaps some give and take on age is needed
Staff- Couldn't be more friendly or helpful
Sunbeds- Plenty of room, free towels at reception
Wifi - 20 Euros for a week, only works in reception
Downside?- Avoid breakfast at 9.00am always busy
Upside?- Considering the price Thompsons off this for, it really good value, and its only 5 minutes from the airport!
Would definitely return

6 Thank artiekellie
Skegness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

i have just returned home from staying at the riu olivina hotel and i can tell you now i am stressed out by the whole sorry experience! i was in a party of 4 age ranging from 50 to 67. i booked with thomson as i trusted the name and reputation, how wrong was i. we paid £4500 for 3 weeks after saving all year for this holiday (the most expensive holiday i have ever paid for) i arrived to find the hotel 80% french, the first night in the entertainment venue was like a cattle market. they would exit the restaurant and grab as many seats as possible and block every walk way and exit possible. i use a walking stick and not very good on my legs, i asked someone to move and was abused and shouted at in french but they wouldn't move. we asked to move hotels the next morning and was told no! after a week of everyone being rude and arrogant we spent the rest of the holiday in a little pub off resort which meant going all inclusive was a waste of time, i have written to Thomsons as i feel they have mis sold me a product and offered no help whilst there. the holiday rep was more interested in leaving the resort then helping. the final straw came on the last day when some french people got on our transfer bus. after waiting we were lied to by our rep and then he quickly left leaving us stranded at the hotel, the receptionist told us to pay for a taxi and claim it back. as we had spent all how money off the resort we had no euro's left, and forgive me in not trusting thomsons to deliver on this.in the end another bus agreed to take us, leaving us minutes to check in and once through customs our plane was boarding. never have i been so pleased to come home from a holiday. i am expecting this resort in appear on holidays from hell this year because believe me this was 3 weeks of hell.
i never received the product i paid for. customer rating satisfaction questionaires rate a hotel on 58% team 28% entertainment 10% food and 4% accommodation
well i received no customer service and no entertainment
100% abuse
100% stress and
100% dissatisfaction
if this was a product on the high street you would return it,
why have thomsons put us in the hotel and left us there knowing they had problems with this hotel???
other english people in the hotel were paying to fly home early
and the rep just let them,

Room Tip: do not go to this hotel, its not 4 star
Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Merv051
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I believe Thomsons have broken their contract with me their customer.
I took out a package holiday,which included entertainment. The first night we were told by the French Marmara entertainment team when enquired as to what the entertainment was that evening. "It's no good for you it's a French game & it's all in French so you won't understand what's going on". How condescending is that??? & the rest of the holiday entertainment didn't get much better.
Then of course the question is what can be done about it? I could try & get compensation, but I'm not in a position to take them on through the court process.
Just beware of what's going on at this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends