“too many French”

Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Hertfordshire
“too many French”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We booked ahead very early based on reviews, hotel then taken over by the French so all activities and cabaret in French.Although I had written and asked for a high room with sunshine we were given a ground floor room, the firthest away possible from all the activities and oh so dark. Asked to change it but no luck.The good points were -excellent food, very pleasant staff(except Fanny on reception, bet she was French too ).Beautiful swim pools one heated enough,plentiful sunbeds, good clean rooms, linen changed regularly, can walk to the shops. .On balance we enjoyed our week thank goodness the weather was lovely, . Forget the beach, it is awful,. The bad points- no quiet room to sit to play cards, there is a smokers room which is cold as it is open to the elements, the French are rude and pushy, cannot join in any activities as the English ,Germans, Scandinavians are not considered at all.Would I go again, yes, if it was £200 cheaper than the other Lanzarote hotels, and would make sure I got a hotel room not an apartmnt

Room Tip: if you have booked an apartment write at least a month before you go, ask for a sunny apartment no h...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank jillywigs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Polish first
Anglaise en France
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My daughter and I booked a short break at the Riu Olivina Resort in February because we were in need of some winter sun and were more than pleasantly surprised on arrival after having read a number of very bad reviews on the resort. We had a very large, clean, west-facing room in the hotel which enabled us to enjoy an aperatif on the balcony watching the sun set before going down to dinner. If I had a criticism, it would be that the room was a bit old fashioned and tired - but hey, that's not much of a criticism. I found the food a bit repetative although my daughter thoroughly enjoyed everything. There was enough selection and the beer and wine was on tap. The staff were all friendly and very helpful and the bedroom impecably clean. The guests, mainly English, French and German were all very discreet, although the Marmara representative at the pool-side was rather loud. The hotel was a few minutes walk from the beach and the main commercial area. We did participate in one or two evening's entertainment which wasn't usually our style but found that there was good guest participation. The bar staff were great all throughout the day serving cocktails, tea, coffee etc with a friendly and untiring contact with the guests. We didn't participate in the Thomson excursion around the island but chose a Last Minute tour which was cheaper and I'm sure just as good. The Last Minute shops are found along the main commercial street about five minutes from the hotel. The grand tour was excellent at 45 euros each (including lunch). The swimming pool was cleaned every morning and there were enough beds for everyone without having to "bag" one before coming down to sunbathe. The reason there is a lot in French is that the travel company Marmara has permanent representatives in the hotel, whereas the Thomson rep only passes to see if there are any problems. But that shouldn't stop everyone joining in the fun.
Would I go back again? Yes, definately.

Room Tip: No tip for a room but when booking your flight sit on the left side of the plane to have a good view...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Austin62
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 week break, 16th Jan - 13th feb. Wow what a lovely surprise after reading the reviews, the whole place is great the food, the staff, the accommodation the place and the resort, we stayed in an apartment over looking the volley ball court 322 suited us perfectly as we do not mind walking preferring the piece and quiet, all the appliances worked so a cup of tea can be made and the fridge keeps the free water and wine cool, we asked for extra pillows and blankets, got them within half an hour, asked for a kettle got it on the second day, never asked for anything else. Met some lovely French, German and Norwegians as well as English people, our generation really do no how lucky we are even if neither can speak the others language you will still have a laugh. We E-mailed the week before asking for a nice quiet first floor apartment and that's what we got, we did meet two English couples who were not happy but we met many others who thought the same as us. The entertainment is biased towards the French, they are the majority but there was some good entertainment in English so you pick and choose. All in all we had a fantastic holiday, thanks to all the lovely staff. PS had caviar one night on the salad bar.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank michael d
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I selected this hotel after having stayed at other RIU locations and being on previous Thomson holidays and expected the same good service and package here.
I had previously emailed the hotel asking for a ground floor room which was provided on arrival.
The site is in 2 parts, the hotel with dining and entertainment facilities with a pool attached and the apartments with a further pool and a bar area.
I stayed in an apartment and although a bit tired was acceptable and well serviced. The staff were always friendly and accommodated all requests.
The standard of food and its service was very good.
The drinks are all local and in some instances do have strange tastes.
The proximity of the complex to the local shops, bars and restaurants is very close.
The Thomson rep at the resort was slightly disinterested and very non committal. The only thing he seemed to enjoy was being left branded toiletries by returning guests as in his words they were very expensive to buy out here.
Now we come to heart of a good holiday. When I select a holiday I expect the tour operators to be honest. My interpretation of honesty is freedom from deceit or fraud. The Thompson brochure made this statement, " There’s also a great evening entertainment programme here which features live music and dancing shows several times a week." This may well be true but what was not included was that ALL entertainment was in French. Therefore I believe that Thomson and RIU are actively involved in fraud and deceiving the British holiday maker by false representation.
I would like Thomson and RIU to respond to this accusation and explain to all of the British guests who pay their staff wages why their advertising on line and in brochures is misleading. Once they have responded to me I will take up the issue with the Advertising Standards Agency and ask them to look into the matter. If it is found that their advertising is misleading then I also believe that all customers that went to the Olivina after the French entertainment company secured the contract should be offered compensation by both firms.
I have now made a conscious decision to never again book any Thomson or RIU holiday because in my opinion they are both dishonest and do not care about their clients.
I have read through all of the comments that have previously been made about this resort and accept that changes are sometimes necessary but this should never be to the detriment of the guest. Thomson and RIU need to ensure a happy medium and if that means that this resort is now solely for French occupation then so be it. But if this is the case then please remove it from your brochures as you will be losing a lot more customers and if you lose customers then your businesses will fail.
If Thomson or RIU want to discuss this matter further then please leave a contact email address and I will contact you? Could Thomson and RIU also declare if the French guests are paying more for their stay? I spoke to other nationalities who were staying there and they were also not happy at their non inclusion. These included Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians.

Room Tip: Several apartments have trees just outside which block all sun light from the rooms and balconies...
8 Thank Stuart D
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had been to the hotel last year about this time and enjoyed it. Excellent location and friendly staff. However our main criticism this year is that it is now the base for the Club Marmara. This is a French club which actually advertises itself as offering entertainment which is 100% French (have checked this since our return). Although we are not over-bothered about evening entertainment this was booked as all inclusive but as the bar area was taken up by totally French entertainment every evening, it was impossible to find a space to have a (quiet) drink either before or after dinner. The French entertainment team only included French guests. Both daytime activities such as children's club and evening entertainment only in French. We've also discovered from the French website that they have free Wifi available to them in the reception area. We have nothing against the French - both speaking fluent French - but unfortunately we would not return to this hotel again. It was much better last year when there was a better mix of nationalities where we felt included. The holiday did not turn out to be as inclusive as claimed.

7 Thank R_A617
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have just returned from a week at the Olivina. I was sceptical after reading some of the reviews already on here, when we first booked with Thomson's the reviews seemed to be generally okay but as time went on so the comments became more and more negative, so we went in fearing the worst. We were allocated one of the one bedroom apartments, yes it was somewhat dated but kept very clean by the housekeeping team and we had no issues with sewage smells. At the end of the day I don't go on holiday to spend time in my room, if I wanted to stay indoors all day I'd stay at home!
The food was fine, plenty of choice - I think some of the negative comments on here regarding the food are misplaced. The only thing we didn't like was the afternoon when they advertised snacks between 3.30 and 5.30pm, the snacks turned out to be some dry sponges, a bit of fresh fruit and some ice cream - disappointing.
The biggest issue at this hotel is most definitely the lack of entertainment provided, I believe an element of the all inclusive experience is about including everyone - not the case if you're English in this hotel. If you rely heavily on staying on site in the evening and are relying on the animation team to entertain you at this hotel - THINK AGAIN! As previously mentioned the amateurish animation team delivered everything in French and to be honest the standards were pretty poor. For us not an issue as we went out after the first experience, however we paid for an all-inclusive package but felt we were forced into going elsewhere to spend our evenings. I feel misled by Thomson's regarding this aspect of our holiday, there has clearly been a change since I made my booking regarding the entertainment on site but Thomson's failed to bring that to our attention. Additionally the venue for the evening entertainment is very small, I dread to think what it would be like there in the summer months when the hotel is at capacity. We visited the other Riu hotel nearby (Playa Paraiso) and would suggest that you consider that above the Olivina, people we spoke to were very complimentary about it.
Plus side: great location, near to beach and a short walk to shops; all staff we came into contact with on reception, housekeeping and the restaurant were polite.
Minus side: Terrible entertainment, okay if you speak French or German but if English is your language then steer well clear.
General: If you want to go to the market in Costas Teguise avoid going with Thomson, they charge 16 euros pp for the privilege. Go along the road towards the shops in Puerto del Carmen, there is a company that charge 4 euros pp. Public transport is easy to use and cheapish and the buses run regularly. Taxis are significantly more expensive than the buses.

9 Thank discoverer186338
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Just returned:
Food - Excellent choice and fresh, didn't bother eating out once
Booze - Lager Cruzcampo, box draught wine, local spirits
Venue- Excellent spot away from the noise, but easy walking distance to shops bars beach... 5 mins
Hotel- All very compact, bar restaurant, pool, and very clean
Room- Very quite, ideal space coat hangers etc. for two people, plus free safe in room
Guests- French / German/ Dutch/Italian/ UK in that ratio. Mostly +60 whilst I was there, so you tend not to see too much of them during the day apart from meals etc. Also don't think they are rude perhaps some give and take on age is needed
Staff- Couldn't be more friendly or helpful
Sunbeds- Plenty of room, free towels at reception
Wifi - 20 Euros for a week, only works in reception
Downside?- Avoid breakfast at 9.00am always busy
Upside?- Considering the price Thompsons off this for, it really good value, and its only 5 minutes from the airport!
Would definitely return