“You get what you pay for”

Apartments Parque Tropical
Ranked #31 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Cheap and cheerful - basic rooms, basic apartment, small pool, basic cleanliness - great location - Restaurant next door lovely food and lovely staff - Depends what's most important to you when booking your stay - i.e. - I like space and a nice pool in which case this apartment was a no no

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Stacie W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just got back from a week at these apartments. Well I would recommend these if your after somewhere central just a two minute walk to the strip. Our apartment was very spacious overlooking the pool area, and the staff here were very helpfully.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EW1314
Dorchester, Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed 1 week in the apartments. Enjoyed the cleanliness (maid service 5 days) and the facilities. The pool just outside with pool bar (ran by Nico's) were just what we wanted for a restful break - very close to the seafront (short walk downhill) where we could wander at our leisure. WC facilities to the poolside good and clean. Staff at Pool Bar really helpful and accommodating. We had a double room apartment (with 2 single beds - would have liked a double) and cooking facilities basic - but everything we needed. Very large shower room with lots of hot water and no problems at all. Would definitely visit again and hope to go later this year.

Room Tip: We were in an upstairs apartment access via road at front - view from balcony of the pool - really g...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret M
Shefield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've stopped in many hotels so I'm not averse to strange beds, uncomfortable pillows etc. Neither am I so stupid to believe that every hotel will offer accommodation nirvana at every visit. I'm aware that were all human beings we have good days and bad days,happy and sad days. I also don't believe in the "you get what you pay for" philosophy as I've stayed in some pricey places and the service has been dire whilst getting the reverse from some budget places, if anything, they become more impressive because your expectations are lower.We normally travel as a married couple but for this holioday went as a small group, a typical family and friend type of group. One couple having stayed here twice previously. So where does the Parque Topical sit in my spectrum, let me explain. The frontal approach to the complex is smart and presentable and reception is cool and business like. The receptionist was good on arrival and all was well at this stage, our sister in law had booked upstairs accommodation as they'd enjoyed it previously, even making phone calls prior to our visit to double check the detail.
So we were given keys to basement rooms as this would enable us all to be together!
OK were on holiday, we don't need the fuss or an argument on accommadation at this point so we took the rooms. Admittedly we raised this issue regarding upstairs but went with the flow. In truth we'd had long journey and this was early evening, we were ready to go out on the town and have some fun!
Which we promptly did!
The following morning we had a knock on the door from our party, so we tried to unlock it.......and couldn't!. Still being dazed and confused in our new surroundings we forgot we had a pation door which we could've used as an exit. At that point one of our party thought they'd better inform reception of our unintended incarceration. This we thought was a good idea and informed them that we'd get ready so not to do anything for an hour!. So we went back to bed!
Within two minutes we heard some serious lock fiddling going on and then the front door opens and the handymans in our apartment, all very efficient, but were we glad we'd closed the bedroom door!
It was shortly after this I noticed damage to bedroom door internally, as though some one at some stage had tried to force there way out of the bedroom...........very strange!
I asked the receptionist later if that room had a history of guest imprisonment and he looked at me as though I was a lunatic on day release.
Any way we like hygiene, especially the personal type, so a good shower is essential in any accomodation especialy one were the temperature is hovering around 28-30 degrees every day. Good showers our room didn't have, one minute it was roasting the next freezing cold!
So far we've got self locking doors and a cream crackered shower!
Later I spoke to the receptionist, the same one that thinks by now I'm a lunatic and asked him about the shower, In accented English it was explained to me that the maintenance engineer was currently working on the boiler, how convenient!
At this point following reviews I've read since our return he must have been working on it for the past five years. Obviously his efforts had no effect and it continued doing this throughout our stay!
This place also attracts it's fair share of stray cats, quite charming as they tend to keep the vermin down. In fact we'd have liked to have seen more of our feline companians as mickey had a high old time in our appartment before he got caught in the humane trap!
Wow what an event that was, I'd spotted him the night before scurrying across the floor and under the sink, however, I didn't mention it to my wife who was tucked up in bed as I thought discretion is the better part of valour and besides that she'd have hit the roof. So the following morning I went to reception and saw the receptionist, the same one who by now was convinced I was an escaped complaining lunatic, and began explaining. Before I'd got to the bit about my wife not knowing and trying to act with discretion he'd picked up the phone and was issuing instructions in spanish to the maintenance guy. I was then informed he was on his way. Well thanks for listening and your understanding!. at this point I made my way back to the room to find my wife informing me that she's just had a strange bloke banging on the patio door shouting "ratos" at her. In an attempt to simplify he then said "mouse". She then told him to go away as she didn't have a mouse!
I then explained she did, it was just that she wasn't aware of it until this point!
OOPS!
So despite vermin, dodgy showers and self locking doors what else could possibly go wrong with Lanzarote's version of Fawlty Towers.
They even had Germans, but they were cool and seem to have got the lions share of upstairs rooms!
Unlike some other complainents we didn't have much issues with sunbeds, mainly because we didn't vegetate near the pool that frequently, admittedly the main pool is cold enough to preserve the polar icecap in, and penguins and seals would have loved it!
allow yourself to gently enter the pool as this will prevent a coronary due to the temperature difference experienced on immersion! It's also probably why there's no diving signs all over the place!
By this time, those that had been before were saying they would never come again and I had lost all interest. Even when our extra 27 euro wi-fi packed in i did'nt put up a fight, but meekly acquiesed!
And even the put up bed in the living area was broken and beyond any form of practical use, except for sitting on one end of it which still remained intact!
So why have I given it an average after all these words, because fundamentally if you can live with it's faults it's in a good location, has Nico's restaurant within it which is superb and is just over the road from the hyperdino supermarket. If your into indian food and want to take some mind blowingly goods spices home, go and see Poonam in the Yash asian food market over the road as she's brilliant.
The Bodhran Irish bar is two minutes down the road and is good place and very friendly.
The chinese restaurant at the the bottom of the road is good and the staff are great, just tell the guy outside that the man with the Ferrari shirt sent you and you want the same deal!
The weather was phenominal and really helped the holiday along. so would I go again?
To Lanzarote? definitely.
To the Parqe Tropical? Only possibly as we'd need them to listen to the booking arrangements initially, and then start listening generally! and judging by some of the past reviews I'm not sure that's happening, this place could be excellent it just doesn't have to be average.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank McGarett-Five-O
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week stay in the apartments parque tropical as a travel agent I would recommend them. Beside everything in the resort only a few mins uphill walk from the strip. Got a lovely apt definitely deserves it's 3* rating, cleaned 5 times during our stay big living area, kitchen incl microwave large fridge and freezer, coffee/tea facilities and a 2ring hob.Our room (46a) entrance was on the roadside and looked over the swimming pools and gorgeous view to the sea with sun all day. Would definitely return

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gaynor89
Stourbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Just returned 12/5/14 from 3rd visit to the appartments and could not have wished for a better. Martin and the staff were fantastic, got the appartment I asked for, great weather, quiet at night nice pools and at a really good price. it was spotlessly clean and although there are some signs of tierdness the place is fantastic in a great location couldn't wish for better. so nice to have gone back will visit again later this year.can't really find a bad fault.

Room Tip: Garden veiws are cooler and quieter, pool veiws are sunnier but bedrooms back onto the road.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank albionStourbridge
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

had a week out there 26 april to 3 may 2014 great place nice and clean great location and all the staff are friendly. pools cleaned daily plenty of (free) sunbeds great little bar inside complex by pool which does food too nicos reasturant run the bar also have the reasturant on the main rd adj apts overall 10out of 10 see ya soon lee & donna Wolverhampton england

Room Tip: presume they are all good rooms never heard any complaints only compliments we had a great room ove...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple