“Cockroach problem and falling standards” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Apartamentos Fariones

Apartamentos Fariones
Ranked #8 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
“Cockroach problem and falling standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We are currently at these apartments and it is the fourth year that we have stayed here. However, having watched the standards deteriorate over the last few years from the complimentary wine and fruit welcome basket being replaced with a bottle of water to the surcharge of a euro to change your pool towels I eventually encountered an incident which even my loyalty to the truly lovely staff couldn't let me not mention.
Last night we had a bad outbreak of cockroaches in our apartment. This had happen ended two nights ago also but having lived in Australia for many years I kind of thought that I could survive a few cockies. However last night I fly I was losing the war against them and my seven year old son Was massively freaked out and refused to go back to bed or indeed to go back In to the apartment. So we went to reception and asked to be moved to another room (my son Was in his pyjamas). The receptionist wasn't hugely helpful and insisted that there were no free rooms. I explained that my son wouldn't sleep in the apartment with the roaches and he said the hotel was full. Eventually he agreed to ring the manager. She didn't answer but after a few minutes she rang him back. He turned to me and told me that if we moved quickly we could have another room. I didn't really understand the rush , was annoyed that there was a free room after all but he had told me there wasn't but returned to our room to pack. A maid appeared within seconds, initially I thought she was here to help us pack but she started cleaning the room. A maintenance man appeared with keys for the new room and we went into a much smaller room. It was only when I saw people arriving with suitcases that I realised what had happened. One of the rooms prepared for the new people had been hastily re-arranged for us and they had moved some unsuspecting family into our old room with the cockroaches! I rang reception and asked to speak to the manager. That was last night and I was reassured that my request was in the book. Nothing has happened though we have been here all day waiting for an explanation and so for the first time in my life I am on trip advisor telling people to not come to the apartments that I have spent four years defending. Shame on you Fariones apartments for moving people who have spent hard cash into a cockroach ridden apartment. We will NEVER stay here again. Disgusting place, disgusting ethics.

• Stayed July 2014
8 Thank Thebevster333
apfariones, Gerente at Apartamentos Fariones, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest

I am very sorry for your discomfort and we hope you can enjoy the rest of your stay

We do indeed put as courtesy in all of the rooms a bottle of water on arrival.

The Fariones Apartments has an environmental certificate ISO 14001 which tries to minimize the excessive use of washing pool towels which was occurring before. For this reason we have introduced a charge of only 1€ if a client wishes to change their towel but pool towels are still offered initially free of charge. This has reduced the water consumption and the use of chemical products.

With regards to the cockroach I am extremely sorry about this as I stated to you on the telephone. It is true that we did have a 100% occupation rate this day and there was only one apartment left to arrive so this was the reason why we needed to change your room quickly. The fore mentioned room was then cleaned thoroughly before being occupied and the new clients did not experience any problems. We use an external company that provides us with a preventative plan for these issues so I am sorry that they have failed on this occasion. We have changed their protocol so that this does not happen again.

I would like to express my sincerest apologies again and appreciate your comments which will help us to improve in the future.

Yours sincerely,
Nélida Rosa
Manager Apartamentos Fariones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in fationes apartment for a week in july .the apartments were excellent .cleaned everyday. The staff were very helpful and friendly .the pool area was in excellent condition. The breakfast was good.would go back oon a hearth beat

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael O
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at these apartments June'14, The apartments are kept spotless, cleaned every day and towels changed daily if required. Pool, sun deck and surrounding areas are all kept very clean. Sunbeds are kept by towels put on them early morning by other travellers which is a shame but you can sometimes get a bed on the top sun deck in the afternoon . Buffet breakfast is good. Apartments are quite at night, occasionally you can hear noises from above apartments coming through the vent for the cooking rings in the kitchen .Location you are very close to bars,restaurants, beach and shops

Room Tip: higher floors facing the sea are good,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just returned from a great holiday in Lanzarote with my husband, my daughter and her friend. We stayed at the Fariones apartments which were very nice and also very clean. A lot of the staff cannot speak english and this makes things a little difficult. The pool area and sunbathing deck is very nice and there are plenty of sunbeds for everybody. The pool itself however is very cold and not heated as mentioned in the Booking.com description, also the pool closes at 6.00pm which is too early as the sun is still very strong at this time of day and it's nice to be able have a swim if you have been out cycling or walking.The location is excellent as they are right in the centre of both the old town and the strip. The breakfast is nice but could be pushed out until 11.00am to allow people who work all year round have a lie in whilst on holidays. The only other negative is that we had a ground floor apartment and could hear every word and move made in the apartment above us.
There are plenty of really nice restaurants all within easy walking distance of the apartments.
I think the apartments are really nice but nothing special for the money they are charging.

Room Tip: We requested a seaview room but did not get one. We were in a ground floor apartment near the front...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jackson64
Belfast, Nothern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We returned to Fariones Apartments for a holiday last week. It had been four years since our last visit. The apartments are very clean, good facilities and the breakfast is very good too! The lady on reception was very efficient and offered an alternative apartment from our first allocation to one which had air conditioning (lovely!). The only complaint we would have is the pool side wasn't cleaned down each evening as there was food debris left around and the ants had a field day!!! Also smoking was a problem around the pool and immediately around the entrance to the cafe. If smoking wast permitted within these areas, it would have made our stay a lot better. Thanks to all the staff and management for a lovely holiday xx

Room Tip: Second and third storey rooms give an excellent view (but no AC)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bertie2004
dublin ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have just returned from a week in a 2 bed apartment and apart from the fact that the hairdryer was one of those attached to the wall and not great for blow drys, I have no complaint at all about this complex!
It was spotless, Daily cleaning and towel change - the sheets were of the highest standard! The beds were very comfortable.
The staff were very friendly and they even presented me with a beautiful birthday cake for my birthday!
The breakfast was the best I have experienced - everything you could want - hot and cold and such variety!
There were ample very comfortable sunbeds and even a raised sunbathing area with a hot tub!
There are daily activities if you wish to partake but there is no pressure.
It is in a perfect location for beach, old town and the strip.
I would definitely recommend this complex to anyone.

Room Tip: We were in a 2 bed apartment and I think they all overlook the pool. I think it was the best positio...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lalaDublinIreland
South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Apartamentos Fariones 15th May 2014 for 10 nights for our holiday which tied in nicely with the "Lanzarote Ironman Triathlon" which took place that Saturday which our son took part in.It was fantastic day and the holiday overall was excellent.We stayed bed and breakfast. The apartment was large,clean and everything you needed was on hand.The staff were superb. Rooms were cleaned daily, and the beds made.Towels could be changed every single day if you wanted them changed. Same went for bedding.Cleanliness of the hotel,pool,and pool area was second to none.There's a lovely roof top terrace sun bathing area with a jacuzzi.

We could not praise the staff highly enough. Nothing was a problem for them and they attend immediately to any queries or problems that you may encounter. All the staff were lovely but special thanks to all the reception, catering and bar staff.

The breakfasts were superb with a glass of champaign every Morning and everything you could ever want to eat was on offer.The location of the apartments were very good. Only a short walk to the beach and main attractions,bars and restaurants The Harbour and shopping centre is also about a 10-15 minute walk. There's a bus stop Just around the corner from the hotel entrance (Turn left then left again) opposite Burgher king, where you get the number 3 (runs quite regularly to Playa teguise or the capital,and the 161 to Playa Blanca. There are special buses on a Sunday that takes you to Teguise market which has got to be one of the largest out door markets anywhere. If you ask at the reception,they have ready printed bus time tables .The prices always seem to 5.40 euro, for two,(one way) where ever you went.Many bars have live music and there are many Irish bars with a warm and friendly atmosphere, in and around Puerto del Carmen and surrounding places.There are some lovely walks in and around Puerto del Carmen.Ask at the reception. Restaurants are excellent and prices reasonable but watch out for beer prices as these can vary from 1.5 euro's to 4 euro's. Guinness can cost a lot more. Look out for the happy hours where a large beer should cost the 1.5 euro's. The average evening prices vary from 2.5 to 3.5 euro especially in restaurants. A 75 cc bottle of house wine can cost anything from 8 -15 euro depending on the restaurant or bar. Check prices before you order.

Usually by the last day of a 10 day holiday we are ready for coming back home but on this occasion,we wanted to stay! Fantastic holiday,relaxing,temperature just right for the time of the year at around 25-28 deg. A nice breeze every day makes it the perfect holiday. We've said that we will definitely be going back sometime in the future. J&L

Room Tip: When booking best to ask for a room with a sea view, There are some situated around the pool area wi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple