“Exactly what we were looking for!”
Review of Acuario Sol

and 1 more site!
Acuario Sol
Ranked #33 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed here for one week with my friends- all aged 20-25. We booked it on the basis of it's budget price and reviews on Trip Advisor. Had been to Lanzarote, and wanted to stay in Puerto Del Carmen.

The apartments are about 2 blocks behind the main strip on the beach front, towards the Eastern end of the resort- but by no means at a distant end of it. We were a little dismayed when we arrived as the pool beside reception was not that on the photos, but were delighted to realise the check-in area was in Acuario Sol I, whereas the apartments are in the complex just around the corner- much nicer.

Must say the apartment was very very clean, as were the grounds around the pool. Lots of sun loungers. The complex is on a slight incline (nothing like that of some complexes in the area, you'd barely notice it when walking there), but it meant that the pool area catches a lot of the wind coming up from the sea. We had 2 bedrooms, with a spacious living area. No air con, but you could open windows on a latch. Kettle, toaster, pots, pans, fridge/freezer (no microwave/oven!). Towels were changed every second day, but bed linen only changed once/week. You have to pay a €15 deposit for the tv remote- something we only discovered having tried to use to tv for 2 days with failure! And it wasn't worth the effort- only English language station was CNBC news channel. We didn't try the restaurant in the complex, preferred to eat out nearby. There is also a Spar about a 10 minute walk away- plenty of fresh fruit/veg/bread/meat.

A brief paragraph about the trips/activities on offer at this time of year (bound to change as time passes, but someone might find this useful!)... we went to both the Playa Blanca market (€10 for chartered bus tickets, or €2.50 each way on public bus which has very random times and the only stop is at the Biosfera shopping centre), and the Teguise market (€4 with the chartered buses). The market in PLaya Blanca was pretty in that it's beside the Rubicon marina which is gorgeous, but there were only ~25 stalls. The Teguise market has about 300 stalls, more flexibility to bargain, and more of an authentic market feel. We also did the tour of the full island- €45 including an average buffet lunch. Worth the day in my opinion. And as regards nightlife, Niki Beach/Hippodrome had the best crowds and drinks promotions- didn't find any of the others too much fun.

All in all, would recommend Acuario Sol to a friend. Well kept accomodation in a good location.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank EmilyLouiseH

Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stayed in the acuario sol II from the 5-12 June 2011 with my 3 friends. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment that was very clean and spacious. The apartment was fully equiped with fridge, toaster, kettle etc. There were 2 pools at the acuario sol II with plenty of sunbeds. It was a 10 minute walk away from the main strip and the beach.
The only complaint I would have about this accomodation is the maid service, only once did the maid come into our apartment and we did have to ask for clean towels. Don't let this put you off, this was very good value for money accomodation within a good location.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank allyhannah1
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My husband and I stayed in Acuario Sol 2 from 12-19 May 2011. We booked two weeks before going through Thomas Cook for the amazing price of £307 for us both. Day time flights too. We arrived around lunch time (you check in at Acuario Sol 1) and were immediately informed our room was ready. We were pinching ourselves when we reached our room, it was number 109, ground floor right close to the bar and the pool with a huge terrace. The room was very clean and had a fridge feezer, toaster and kettle with a corner sofa which for the price we paid we were very impressed.
Rachel the bar manager, Susie and the rest of the bar staff are very friendly and make you feel very welcome.
We booked the 3 meal deal for 20 euros each which included the bbq on Friday, Sunday lunch and curry on Tuesday, I would advise to avoid the curry and choose something else, I am not a fussy eater but found this not to be like any curry I have ever had.
Sunday dinner, I had beef, was lush! as too was the bbq.
It was our first time in Puerto del Carmen and I was surprised at how expensive it was to eat out, I had a meat lasagne, my husband a chicken pizza with a drink each and this was 22 euros, it was lovely but if you were going to do this every night especially with children would work out quite expensive.
There is a supermarket about 50 yards away where you can but fresh bread every morning. We also bought food from the bar on site then took it back to our apartment and sat on our terrace which was really nice.
Don't buy fresh milk as this goes sour very quickly, buy the UHT milk off the shelf which when it's been kept in your fridge is fine.
Do take mosquito repelant, this is the first time I didn't and I was bitten to death.
There is no air con and the first 4 days were very hot. We did have a few thunderstorms mainly at night time which did cool it down a bit, I would imagine it would be quite uncomforatable during July & August though.
Overall we were extremely happy with our stay at Acuario Sol 2 and would return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank janieg65
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Just stayed at the acuario sol 1 for a week, apartments were pretty good, the rooms were fairly spacious and we had a good sized terrace outside. Being only a five minute walk away from the main strip in puerto del carmen, these apartments are situated perfectly in my opinion, close enough to the strip but far enough away so you don't get any noise from it, even though they are 2* apartments you could probably say they deserve a 3* rating. We only actually went to the pool bar twice, but it was reasonably priced and the staff were friendly, happy hour is between 5 - 7 and pints of beer are only one euro fifty cents, which you will struggle to find better anywhere else in puerto del carmen, there are also lots of other half price cocktails but I forget what their names were. Both sets of apartments had gates on the outside which gave you extra security. One down point I would say about the apartments was the air conditioning (there was none) Even though this did not affect me directly, as the time we stayed there the nights were not too hot, I imagine in a month or two the rooms would be extremely hot and people may find it difficult to sleep at night, not sure if it is all the apartments like that or if it was a section of them, but I would assume it would be all of them. puerto del carmen is a great resort with countless bars, shops and restaurants, my personal favourites were Ruta 66 which is a bar with cheap drinks and plays good music, O'Reillys, which is an irish bar, an Indian restuarent which sells cheap english breakfasts in the morning, although I forget the name of it, I think it was Tandoori something, and then there was the grill restaurant which served some really great stakes. All in all we had a really good holiday and would certainly return in the future, we also did a trip to Fuertaventura which we left for at 8am and returned 5pm. which was a really good day out and would recommend it to anyone, if you choose these apartments, I think you will be very happy with your choice.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank matthewcurtis44
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I stayed in these appartment over the easter period and for a 2 star appartment found it to be exellent.Rooms where basic but very clean with towels changed every 2 days.it slept 3 people.2 single beds and a sofa bed.sofa bed would be ok for someone young but not old but we only had 2 sleeping in our room with the mother inlaw and my young teenage girl staying in the appartment beside us.Some people are put off by cats but we only had 2 and never caused any problems at all.We stayed in the sol 1 complex which was very quite(just as i like it)but sol 2 looked more busy with a larger pool.The resturant on sol 2 was exellent with meal deals all week.3 meals for 20 euro and 10 euro for children.A MUST.bbq friday night c/w quiz afterwards,sunday roast and then curry night tuesday.dont woory if you dont like curry as they will give you something else.foods all british or irish meat and a great friendly staff.if you want to book a room you can do for only 38 euro per night.just look out for cheap flights and then contact them on line to book.cut out the middle man.i would go back tomorrow if i could.once again dont be put off by 2 stars.i've stayed in bigger stars and they are not as good as its place.GO FOR IT

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank billygoats
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We where pleasantly surprised to find such a great apartment complex to stay at. This s billed as a 2*. The cleanliness and friendliness of the staff was 5*. They serve real good food which is freshly made to order. The bar and restaurant manager(Rachel) and her staff are considerate and very friendly. The safety aspects are comforting with gates locked at 22:00ish. The furniture in the apartments is new and there is a cleaner every day. Thanks for a great spring break.
There is also great bars along the front, lots of live music. Visit O'Rielly's bar great live music and a great atmosphere. Food is reasonably priced along the front.

Room Tip: There are 2 sister Acuario sol complexes.