“clean and comfortable stay”
Review of Acuario Sol

Acuario Sol
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
County Down, United Kingdom
“clean and comfortable stay”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

we booked sol1 for a relaxing January break and we did not expect a lot for 2 keys rating but I would say although no luxury our apartment was quiet,clean and comfortable. I had e-mailed for upper room but was allocated on ground floor which was ok as had outside table and chairs, but did notice our neighbour on upper floor struggling with the stairs using a walking stick. All basic equipment is there but no microwave just two rings, kettle and toaster. we had a few maintenance problems, some due to rain I think, but were quickly and pleasantly resolved .We liked the security gate locked in evening and bedroom window had a metal grille. This is a good location just few minutes from seafront .Several small supermarkets nearby and we did not find them expensive. It was not sunbathing weather so we explored the area, walking in Arrecife along the costal path through Matagorda. A plane spotters paradise as you walk past the busy airport runways. Puerto Calero is worth a viisit, small market on Tuesday, excellent breakfasts and lunches, bus 161 stop on seafront and the coastal cliff walk back to Puerto del Carmen brings you to old town at harbour. There is a new board walkway and this has tidied up this area. La bamba restaurant small and inexpensive at top of hill would be a favourite. Coffee and mouthwatering cake at Dos Mil on seafront were excellent. Last minute.com do a trip to Teguise market on Sundays at e4 and are well organised giving about 3 hrs at market which is sufficient. We took local bus no.161 to Playa Blanca (market on Wed) but did find it very crowded on way back as no service siesta time, so maybe wait until later afternoon as not all passengers got on bus. The perfume shops offer good value but do shop around as prices vary. Good value winter break.

2 Thank irenajm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Trying to do my review of what may of been missed but I know I may repeat myself. We just wanted a cheap week away and decided after reviews on tripadvisor to go & try it here. We only paid £538 in total for the 2 of us for a week. That was with 20kg of luggage & a 1 bedroom apartment in Acuario sol 2, bargain I think. I wasn't sure what I would think of Puerto Del Carmen as I was thinking it may be too English for me so went with an open view and just happy with a week off work & away on a holiday.
I did e mail the hotel before I went & we did get the high floor room which I asked for. It had a lovely sunny balcony & also lovely sea views. I liked the way the apartments were set out, you went up a staircase which let to the 1st floor then the 2nd floor so at each side of the staircase it led to an apartment at each side when going up. I found it easy to get to the top and only think you had to be careful if it rained as the stairs were marble & were slippery if it did rain.
Our balcony had a table & 3 chairs & was lovely to sit on until about 5.30 when the sun went down (when it wasn't raining as we were a bit unlucky with the weather, but I suppose it was January) For info the weather was about 21 degrees through the day & about 12 to 16 on a night, depending on the rain. It rained when we were here for about 5 mins & then the sun would come out. Sometimes a little more on a night. It rained 4 of the 7 days we were there so you did need to carry a brolly around with you & also wear a coat on a night.
The apartment I thought was very clean, the lighting was a bit dark so this may make people think different because of the poor light but I really did find our apartment clean & especially the bathroom & kitchen.
We only use the fridge when we are away but I think the kitchen would be ok for basic stuff as there was a hob a kettle & a toaster & a few cooking utensils. As I said though we eat every meal out so it didn't matter to us. The fridge was brand new that we had & was a fridge with a freezer on top (which was good for the ice cubes for the g&t, as there was a ice cube tray in it)
The kitchen also had a spacious seating area in with the tv which we didn't try. I kept meaning to see if you could use the tv without the remote but I didn't get round to doing this.
In the bathroom we had a nice sink area with a shelf & mirror & also a bath with a shower in with a shower curtain, (all ok for us, basic but again all clean)
In the bedroom we put the 2 beds together as it was then easier to get into the wardrobes which were very spacious & had the safety deposit box in. There was also a bedside table. You also had a mirror & shelf in the bedroom with a socket for your hair dryer etc. I used a stool from the kitchen area to sit on when getting ready.
As other have said you do pay 12 euro deposit for the safety deposit box & then its 2 euros a day for the use of it. You get the 12 euro back when you hand in the key with the receipt you get when you pay.
In Acuario sol 2 you were also ok sitting on your balcony & like some other reviews you didn't have to worry about the door locking you out as it was just a normal locking patio door.
I did like the fact you had keys for the gates which were locked from 8pm on a night, sometimes earlier.
Towels yes they were only changed twice in a week but you got 4 towels & they were fine. We managed with them no bother.
On the patio you also had a dryer for clothes etc to dry on.
The weather wasn't nice enough for us to lie around the pool however it was really nice & spacious & the sun beds looked fine too.
The pool bar had a inside & an outside & as said 5-7pm was happy hour & was 1.50 for a large pint or lager or 2 euro for a local spirit with mixer. We did try a breakfast and at 2.95 was really nice.
We found all the staff friendly & helpful also.
I really would not hesitate to go back here for the price we paid & the location. It takes 5 mins max to the front of the resort & a few different ways to get there. I would say go right or left when you are on the front for a different night out. if you go right you will eventually get to the old town.
I found the easiest way to the spar was to get to the front of the resort & then turn left, you will then eventually get to it if you kept walking, there was another supermarket called hiper dino close by & was ok priced too, We did only buy lemons, crisps & tonic water though !! oh & some chocolate. If you walk around & explore you will find the quicker ways to get to these.
My tip is to explore the resort, this way you find all the bars, restaurants you prefer as everyone is different. A slow walk would take us about 40 mins to the old town & we went quite a few times as it lovely.
Places I would give a mention to though are.... capri italians, cafe ola (the front one), sunshine asian restaurant, great wall chinese. In the old town bodega was good. Bars... I think it depends on what you like as there is so much variety. Def worth a visit to the island bar at the old town though where Rory the owner sings at 9.30 every night, he is amazing. (it is on the front down from the scotch corner)
I do think because of the variety & the size of the resort & also how cheap it is, is why I would return. It is also very clean, very friendly & you feel safe. it also still has a Spanish feel I think because of how all the buildings are these little white cubes.
So go & enjoy yourself & remember for a basic apartment the Acuario sol is a very good place to stay.

Room Tip: if you don't like cats you might not like it here as a few about. All harmless though.
12 Thank BettySpagetti
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks from 6th - 23rd January and had a lovely, relaxing time. We stayed in Acuario Sol 1 which is the quieter of the two resorts. The apartment was comfortable and the kitchen had the basics you need to cook, should you wish to. The only real criticism was the towels were only changed twice during our stay. I paid 15 euros the first week for the wifi, but to be honest I wouldn't bother as the connection wasn't great and nearly all of the bars and cafes had free internet.
The Apartments are only a few minutes stroll from the main street, where there are numerous bars, shops and restaurants which are very reasonably priced. I noticed that a lot of bars were advertising a large San Miguel for 1.50 euro and a full English breakfast with tea/coffee and orange juice for 2.50 euros.
We went on a trip to the volcano's which we found very interesting and was well worth the 20 euros.
To sum up, we had a lovely time and would gladly return and certainly recommend - just remember that it is a 2 star accommodation and you won't be disappointed.

5 Thank sunshineNE
cheshire
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Just back from a weeks break at the smaller of the two complexes.sol1.it does what it says on the tin.comfy near to the main resort.clean.helpful staff.the BBQ was great and really good value.all the positive reviews I read we're really helpful re the shops and good restaurants.if you like walking take a half hour stroll to the old town,it's really charming and some nice bars and restaurants are there.special mention to the corner crown for great liqueur coffee to round off many a great evening.will return .only downside for the week,the weather!!!not as warm or dry as we had hoped but hey still strolling around in shorts and tees.

2 Thank blossom74
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Booked Acuariuo Sol 1 for New Year 2013/14 knowing that they were average quality but didn't fancy spending £1K for a weeks break. Cost-£540 each including flights.

Pleasant enough receptionist Miguel (I think) was efficient and workmanlike and we were in the room in less than 10 minutes after arriving. We were in room 11 with a "garden view". This means you look at the boundary wall in front of you as your neighbours walk past. OK, it has a small patio area but not quite what it said in the brochure.

The apartment was basic but clean and the cleaners were regular and fast. You need to rent a safety deposit box at Euros 12 a week and even a TV remote control, if you are sad enough, but it's that's standard in low rent holiday accommodation these days. See if you can spot the flat screen TV that is advertised-I couldn't!!

Fittings in the rabbit hutch were basic, the kitchen just had enough utensils to cook if you actually consider eating in your cell and trying to open wardrobes when the beds aren't pushed together is a pain.

Sol 1 has a small pool and a rooftop solarium and was the quieter of the two complexes. Sol 2 was busier and had the pool bar. If you have kids or teenagers then Sol 2 is the better option as Sol 1 is a bit more sedate.

The rooftop solarium was a great place for some relaxing sunbathing as it only has about 8 loungers so no chance of it being overrun with tourists.

The location of the complex is about a 4 minute walk from the main strip at the airport side of town so is handy for easy access to the classy resort of PDC.

Not the type of place I'd choose to return to but if I desparate to go to PDC over the Xmas/New Year then this may be an option but only as a last resort.

Room Tip: If you want a bit of peace and quiet then ask for Acuarios Sol 1 but ensure you have a mn uper floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank RockDinosaur666
coventry
Reviewed 8 January 2014

For the price I paid for a weeks break over the New Year holidays, this was a great place to stay. Very clean, nice pool area and a lovely little bar/restaurant. We had a one bedroom apartment on the top floor which was a great sun trap for later on in the afternoon. The beds weren't comfy but we got used to them and showering was a very quick affair !! There was no remote for the T.V, so what ? Watching telly is the last thing I want to do while I'm on holiday. They asked 26 euros for the safe key but we locked everything in our cases and they weren't touched. 21 euros to keep our room because of a late check out was a reasonable price. I would stay here again, without a doubt.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank brownie044
Gorey, Ireland
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 19dec to 2nd Jan.
We stayed in Sol 2, the bigger and more open sister of Sol 1 , which is a minutes walk away .
Rooms cleaned 5 days a week and towels and beds changed 2 or 3 times a week.
Onsite bar/cafe/ restaurant which we never used, didn't appear busy at anytime and was usually closed by 8 pm.
Only a 5 minute walk to the strip with its bars and restaurants and a further 5 mins to the beach.

WiFi available for €6 a day or € 15 per week, and only one person per room can use at a time due to log in and password restrictions.
Safe was €28 for 2 weeks plus €12 returnable deposit.

All in all happy with the apartments and would recommend and return.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family