“Not Exactly What I Expected”
Review of Hotel Hispania

Hotel Hispania
Ranked #21 of 78 Hotels in Playa de Palma
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I've just spent 6 nights in the Hotel Hispania with my partner and 4 year old son. I was drawn to the hotel by the good reviews that it had received at my time of booking.

The food was very good. Plenty of choice each day including a fish, meat and rice choice. I thought the food was perhaps the best feature of the hotel.

The desk staff although helpful were sourly and if they'd managed to crack a smile every now and again it may have brightened up the front of house area. Definitely not the type of customer service I would have expected from a so-called 4 star hotel. The canteen staff and bar staff were extremely friendly and seemed to be working mega hard to keep everyone happy.

The room was quite small and the mattress was rock hard. The room was cleaned everyday to a decent enough standard. The TV only had 5 channels and all were in Spanish or German, not a major issue being that holidays are not exactly for TV but even so; most hotels offer at least one international channel. The balcony faced out onto the street and the view was pretty grim, not too bothered though as it was dark by the time I arrived to the room each night. Clean standard bathroom with no bath.

The location was really good, bus 15 or 25 at the front of the hotel into Palma for 1.50. Buses were
about every 10 mins or so. Bus number 21 at the back of the hotel to the airport for £3.00. I didn't take a taxi once as the buses were so easy and frequent.

Overall I would say the price at over £100 per night well exceeded the standard of the hotel. I would say £75 per night would be a more fair price for this type of hotel, especially in October.

The hotel is in the German area of Majorca and this suited me just fine as I just wanted to relax with my own thoughts and not think about life in the UK. A lot of the restaurants and bars around about are German themed and most of the waiters speak Spanish and German with very little English. However, it's easy enough to learn a few Spanish phrases to get through drinks and food ordering.l

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone with young kids, the rooms are just too small and it's definitely not set up with families in mind.

I wouldn't stay here again. Not a major disaster but it wasn't comfortable and I wouldn't waste my money on this kind of place again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank RachelMcM

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I booked this for my husband and I to enjoy our wedding anniversary, which we did however not sure if I would come back to this part of the island.
Negatives, room 232. Located side street 2nd floor opposite one of the noisiest bars around. Siestas are a big No No in this room. Constant noise from this bar, except Sundays!
lift, slow slow slooooow and tiny!
This is not a hotel if you are looking for the friendly banter when meeting guests. This hotel caters for the German clientele, my husband and I were probably the only English couple in the hotel when we stayed. The German guests were surly, unfriendly, in fact this part of the island is in my opinion the German Benidorm! If you don't speak Spanish or German you will notice the difference in people's attitude towards you.
Beds. awful!! Mattresses rock hard
Pool, get your towels out ASAP in the morning, beds are towelled and bagged with no one in sight for hours so limits places in sun/under umbrellas

Positives
Staff try to be helpful, however German or Spanish is spoken. They work hard and long hours, no complaints really on this.
Food, really nice, good variety, breakfasts superb, bar food very good, very reasonably priced
Hotel itself, nice, clean
Rooms, nicely decorated, spacious
Beach, yards away

A nice hotel just not for the English market in my opinion which is sad really as it has put me off coming back to Majorca.

Room Tip: Go to Bogarts bar, what a good night we had in there, Scottish owned, great fun. Stay away from room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shaz1972
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Location
=======
The hotel is located in El Arenal, about 15 minutes from the airport (public bus #21 costs 3 Euros and stops directly behind the hotel which even has its own bus stop, called “Hotel Hispania”, one of the lasts stops of the bus itinerary).

We've requested a taxi back to the airport and the driver gave the receptionist a red ticket, probably indicating he earned a commission. The taxi ride cost 20 Euros. I'm not sure if the taxi driver somehow jacked up the price of the ride to compensate for having to pay a commission to the hotel employee or if it's the standard rate.

In case you don't know: El Arenal is mainly visited by German and Dutch holidaymakers and is basically the Germanic equivalent of the British dominated Magaluf. So you should probably expect a lot of partying young German people during the main holiday season from June to August in and around the hotel. Luckily the hotel is actually located in a relatively quiet area of El Arenal, about 10 minutes on foot from the main drag with the beer halls of the “Mega Park” and the “Bierkoenig” (beer king).

The first impression of the hotel was very good: the hotel looks really sleek and modern and much better than most of the other hotels in this area. Though the hotel is located right by the beach promenade, one enters the hotel through the main entrance which is facing the narrow pedestrian street on the right hand side of the hotel (if looked at from the beach). The reception / front desk area looks nice and the lady that checked us in was super friendly – even more so when I talked to her in Spanish.

Room
=====
The double room I've booked was fairly small and more appropriate for singles but the friendly person at the front desk next morning told me that this room was actually better than their standard single room because it had a large balcony. On the evacuation map I saw that most other rooms were larger. Anyway: The room was clean - yet not spotlessly so. The shower was fairly small but water pressure and temperature were OK.

The walls must be very thin as it was easily possible to hear the coughing of a guest in the neighboring room. There's a safe deposit box in the room but you specifically have to request it to be activated. Using the safe deposit box costs I think 2 Euros per day and to activate it they will give you a little black key that you have to plug in at the back of the safe deposit box door. Don't forget to return the key upon check-out to redeem your 10 Euro deposit for the box.

Restaurant
=========
I've booked half board, because it was just 2 Euros more expensive than the breakfast only option. Dinner is available from 6:30 pm to 9.30 pm and is buffet style. The selection of food is amazing and I thought the quality was fine. Only small drawback is that most of the food is not at all “authentic Spanish” (or even regional) but caters primarily to the average taste of the tourists who want to eat what they usually eat at home (old habits die hard I guess...). The restaurant is huge. Included in the price for half board is just the food but beverages are very reasonably priced (I think a large bottle of water costs only a bit over 2 Euros).

If you spend your day by the hotel pool then it makes sense to eat at the second, smaller restaurant adjacent to the pool area, near the chic hotel bar. They serve typical holiday resort food such as escalope with chips (fries) and pizza. The food was of good quality and quantity. The waiters there were super friendly, especially if you talk to them in Spanish.

Facilities
=======
The hotel was renovated only very recently and became a four star hotel (though on hotel logos around the building you still often see the former three stars). Everything looks very modern, chic and smart. There's a very nice chill-out lounge right above the main restaurant that I've discovered only on my last day. From there you can watch the sunset or just enjoy the scenery in front of the hotel. There's also an internet corner with I think 3 computer workstations (10 minutes of Internet for 1 Euro). I didn't inquire about Wifi availability.

There's also a spa and fitness room in the hotel but I didn't use it so I cannot comment more than just say that it looks nice.

The pool area in general is nice as well. Only problem is that the building is rather tall and therefore parts of the pool area are in the shade most of the time. Therefore be careful when choosing a sun lounger. The whole area is not very large but the pool is still large enough for a little swim. There's also a small pool for the kids. The sun loungers are very comfy and appear to be rather new.

The hotel bar looks very trendy but there are so many bars in that area that you don't really have to spend your evening there. Actually I've seen only few people hanging around there in the evening.

People
======
The four stars obviously attract the slightly more sophisticated, upmarket holidaymakers and not really so much the loutish party goers, at least that was the case in mid-September.
As I've mentioned already, the vast majority of the hotel guests are Germans. I've also heard some people speaking in Russian, Dutch and Italian languages but there were hardly any English speakers around.

The hotel employees I've interacted with were very friendly people, a real asset to the house.

Conclusion
=========
The hotel in general is OK and I can recommend it though I don't think it really deserves 4 stars; it's more like a good 3 star plus holiday hotel in my opinion. Whether you will actually enjoy your stay there I think depends to a large degree on whether you feel comfortable with being so close to the German-Dutch party zones of El Arenal.

Room Tip: Try NOT to get a room facing with seaview if you want a quiet night or if you want to go to bed befo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Voyager
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have to say that I feel a little let down by the Trip Advisor community on this hotel, you are usually so reliable in helping me figure out where to stay - but the reviews claiming that this hotel is in a 'perfect location' with 'great food', simply beggar belief!
Playa de Palma, just in case, like us, you don't/didn't know, has been colonized by rowdy German 18-30 year olds, much like Magaluf, Benidorm and many other parts of the Med have been taken over and ruined by rowdy Brits. So anyone recommending this hotel's location must like drunken shouting, fighting and the singing of various songs from the Bundesliga until the small hours of the morning - I'm not so keen myself.
On arrival, a big Teutonic bloke, who was absolutely smashed out of his tree, sporting a neon yellow mankini decided to get into our hire car uninvited while I unloaded the suitcases and took up a seat next to my bewildered 16 month year old - having presumably seen the door was open. Not that I reckon he could see very much he was that drunk. It was around 3pm at the time - they get started early and carry on right through in Playa de Palma.
We had just spent a wonderful 10 days in the north of Mallorca, which is one of the loveliest places I've ever been. Foolishly, and to avoid the ridiculously overpriced August flight prices being dished out by the equally awful Monarch airlines (their inadequacies are another story altogether) we had decided to stop for an extra couple of nights on the beach before going home. Something near the airport would mean we could get there quicker, and an extra day of relaxing beachtime would be a great way of rounding off the trip, we thought.
So I started looking for a 4 star hotel suitable for families, and found that The Hispania had been the subject of good reviews in general. God knows why. I don't know how these hotels get away with being called 4 star, when they are so clearly not up to scratch. This is a three star at best. You can't just put a new bathroom and a flat screen TV in and claim an extra star - or maybe you can?
The rooms are adequate, but the walls are paper thin so you can hear the students next door to you wrestling and drinking shots through the night. Fortunately, to distract you from your exuberant neighbors, the noise from the promenade outside drowns that out - one stag party even decided to bring a megaphone with them on their trip, just to make sure we heard every verse of their rendition of whatever on earth they were singing - the one saving grace was that the words were in German, it would have been worse had it been in English I'm sure.
The staff were all very nice, I must say that. But when I asked about whether it was likely to be as rowdy as it had been on the first night for our second night, the girl on the desk simply shrugged and said 'it's the German summer holidays'.
As far as the food is concerned, the people who have said you must eat here at least once during your visit really need to get out more.
The authentic food in Mallorca is pretty good. You won't get anything Mallorcan at The Hispania however, unless I'm mistaken and schnitzel and chips is a Spanish dish that I've never eaten before. I'm pretty sure it's aimed at the hotel's primary clientele. Much like roast dinners are in places like Benidorm. Call me odd, but I like to eat Spanish food when I'm in Spain, and the local cuisine is worth seeking out. There are quite a few good restaurants in Palma town centre, which is great city and well worth a visit. Just don't make the mistake of thinking Playa de Palma is the same place - it's barely even the same country.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank Volkov100
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Whilst on holiday in Majorca we had lunch here a few times and the food is superb.
We tried the salad, cold meats, fresh melon, pizza and all was exceptional.
If you are in Majorca you must visit the Hispania café.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank The_Explorers
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We spent a very Relaxing weekend at this hotel! As others noted this is directly on an efficient bus route, which makes it super convenient for airport (2.5 euros) and into Palma city (1.5 euros). We arrived and were checked in efficiently, less than 10 minutes. We booked a sea front room...well worth it, balcony was huge and was a good spot to relax and watch the people and the sea. The room was very clean and seems to have just been re- done, very nice. Included in the price was breakfast & dinner, given the price which was very good...we didn't expect much...it was a pleasant surprise! There was plenty of variety and the food was good...also, never a problem getting a table regardless of the timing and the fact that they were quite busy. Plenty of beach shops, bars, & restaurants...all within walking. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SoxFans07
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This hotel was fantastic, brand new wet room, moderm bedroom (triple), dining room modern light very clean, bar, pool,all immaculate.Lovely upsatirs white sofas area where we watched the sun set. The buffet food was out of this world. I'm vegitarian and had plenty of choice, my 2 friends said the meat and fish were exellent. They make omeletes for breakfast in front of our eyes!! It's in the German area and it was a nice part of seafront. Busstop to Palma right outside 1 euro 20 into Palma, 10 mins in taxi (18 euros) to the airport. It was windy but pleasant weather for end of march.Staff were so helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We had a triple room It was just refurbished ,we got sea view (side on) There is a bar opposite but...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends