“Nice hotel”

HM Tropical
Ranked #14 of 77 Hotels in Playa de Palma
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

The hotel has been refurbished recently and our room still looked quite newish. Room was large enough to stay here for a week or 2, bathroom also large with a huge walk-in shower (aaaand finally a hotel with piping hot water). Beds were very comfortable and didn't hear anything from adjacent rooms.

Breakfast was plentiful with fresh fruit, hot items and crispy bread. Only drawbacks are no free wifi and rooms have no safe.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank londonmatDE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed at HM Tropical for a long weekend near the end of October. I asked for an early check in and arrived at 9am our time and our rooms were ready. Very impressed. The room was fairly big, clean and the bed comfortable. We were on the side of the hotel so our view was partly beach and the back road, not a lot of noise but probably because the time of the year we were there. location was perfect. Short taxi ride from the airport, across the road from the lovely sandy beach, bars and restaurants. Breakfast in the hotel was your typical continental which was ok. The hot water machine was only working once throughout our stay, so we had to keep asking for jugs of boiling water for our tea, which was a bit of a pain. Pool area etc was very nice and never had to put towels on sunbeds. There were always beds available but I don't think there would be in the summer months. We purchased what we thought was a Coca Cola but it was so watery, once was enough. We were out of the hotel most of the day and evening so didn't have a lot to do with the staff, so can't really comment on their service. We would recommend this hotel for its location and cleanliness and would stay again.

Room Tip: try and get a room on front of hotel
5 Thank sandrac15
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 14 days and, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The very positive aspects of the location of this hotel are the following. Two minute walk to the long-sandy and clean beach; very little traffic noise day or night and, walking left and right of the hotel have easy access routes to the El Arenal and Playa regions. We had a see-view directly in front of our balcony (which we paid more for) and this especially was heart-warming.
Our room (323) wasn´t too big and there truly wasn´t enough cupboard space for all our clothing. The bathroom was super, despite the thick-glass door leading into it which, could not be pushed open be either child or elderly person, due to the tight fixtures. Additionally, there was nowhere to put our normal toiletries as there was absolutely no shelf above the sink.
The dining room was spacious enough until 30 plus guests were rerouted to “our” hotel as their planned destination had closed! We and other hotel guests had to wait in a queue in front of the main entrance to the dining room most evenings, as all tables were occupied, because of the unexpected guests.
The food was generally tasty but on a few occasions, the variation of dishes was modest. After the fourth day, the dishes simply repeated themselves. The waitresses were always polite, friendly and extremely diligent. The two waiters however projected a general disinterest, as to whether the guests´ tables were laid or not. Used plates, glasses, cups and so on, were predominately collected by the warm-hearted waitresses. These two waiters were very slow in their moments; a “don´t give a tinker´s cuss” attitude was clearly written on their faces and, they never had a smile on their eyes or lips. After sitting for too long at a table, too often, I actually got up and brought cutlery, glasses and even coffee to our table myself! The waiters´ attitude and behaviour was not corrected by their day supervisor but quite frankly, and in my line of business, I would have given these two “gentlemen” one, single chance to redeem themselves, and if no positive change appeared, I would gladly sack them! I had the strong feeling, that other guests and we were simply, tolerated! The irony of this attitude is of course, without our visits to this Spanish island and its hotels, these people would be unemployed!
The animation was quite truthfully, terrible! (Apart from a jazz group that was fantastic!) A bingo evening was “organised” twice; this really would have taxed my brain, had I been bored enough to take part in it! The organ player – on two evenings, played songs which my parents might have appreciated. I´m reaching the end of my 50´s so one can imagine, that my wife and I didn´t get up to “Shake Rattle & Roll”! Last but least, the Flamingo evening! Two middle-aged women and man stomped around to music and songs from Gypsy Kings (among others) for crying out loud! Now and then only one woman remained on the “stage” whilst the other woman and her male colleague, what, went for a cigarette? I´ve very seldom experienced such unprofessional and amateurish animation!
The service from the barmen was quite clearly, discriminate towards those guests who, had paid for an All Inclusive stay; forgetting to inform anyone On-Line in advance, (from the hotel management that is) that it excluded personal serving with a smile from the bar staff! I asked but once for two drinks for my wife and me but was told by a barman, that “All Inclusive guests could order 20 times a day” which meant and he indicated, that neither he nor his colleagues were prepared or willing to serve anyone with this “status”, so often! All non-All Inclusive guests´ orders were taken with (financial) glee and served with smiles, which encouraged guests to tip them! My wife and I paid good and well-earned money for our holiday, only to discover, that paying in advance for All Inclusive” actually excluded what we had actually paid for! Good service!
Holiday Check´s website! I´ve read through some of the reviews from this website and support what I´ve read. Two guests who stayed in the very same hotel have written, “No more All Inclusive” in this hotel! This applies to my wife and me from now on, too!

Room Tip: My three personal tips! Put your beach towels out in this hotel´s “resting area” either very early i...
3 Thank David Alexander... F
Estelle L, Guest Relations Manager at HM Tropical, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the HM Tropical for your stay in Mallorca and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your instructive feedback, offering our guests outstanding service and making their stay as comfortable as possible is important to us and your comments won’t go unnoticed. If you wish, you can send me more details about your experience in our hotel at bookings1@hmhotels.net.

Best regards from Palma.
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I picked this hotel from a choice of 4Star hotels in the area and it was definitely a good choice. Hotel rooms have been refurbished in a very contemporary way and was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The complimentary Birthday bottle of Cava was a nice touch. Ideal position, across the "road" from the beach. We paid for half board and while I was only 80% keen on the food there was plenty of it. This hotel and area of Majorca is popular with German people so no one to have a chat with! I would recommend this hotel and would go again. ( Room 325 has a fab view of the sea and the pool)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Estelle L, Guest Relations Manager at HM Tropical, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay, it would be great to see you again next year.

Best regards from HM Tropical.
Timisoara, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Location: very good - not in the idiots' area of El Arenal; adjacent beach has fine sand and sports normal people, mostly family types

Rooms: very modern and clean, also quite large

Service: friendly staff

Food: very good, decent variety

Sleep quality: very good due to the fact that most guests are families and elderly people

Only gripe: even for guests, wireless Internet access cost 10€/day, which is absurd

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PeterB78
Estelle L, Guest Relations Manager at HM Tropical, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Mr. Peter,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your vacation at HM Tropical, we would love to welcome you back sometime.

Best regards from Mallorca!
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I went for 5 days of relaxation and sports vacation with a couple of friends, and as my friends were staying for 14 days, they chose the hotel. Unfortunately, they chose a charter hotel, but as mentioned, it was their choice, so I had to take the bad with the good.

I might as well admit it, my worries were definitely put to shame. When considering the price compared to what you get, this is worth 4 big stars. I paid 517 Euro for a large double room with a balcony and a view of the ocean and beach. The 517 Euro included half-pension (breakfast and dinner), it does not get much cheaper than that. In addition to this, you can "upgrade" for 17 Euro to get all-inclusive incl. drinks etc. all day, which I would recommend.

The hotel employees are very nice and efficient. I never waited more than a minute for service, even with all inclusive.

I love the area where the hotel is located. Large, clean and nice sandy beach. Nice bathing water, and police constantly patrolling the area.

The hotel is not suitable for romance (in my opinion), but for everything else, and the only reason that I have not given it 5 stars is that it is not luxury, and the guests do eat dinner in flip-flops and tank top.

However, this is the first time that I give 4 stars to a charter hotel, and I will end the review by writing:

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank fublife
Estelle L, Guest Relations Manager at HM Tropical, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at HM Tropical. We were certainly blown away by your review - and particularly proud of our staff, who contribute most to making our guests feel welcome.

Thank you again for the great feedback - I very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon.

Best regards from Mallorca.
Sant Boi de Llobregat, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

The first night in a room on 1st floor we could find some little insects into room.
Inmediatly, we was changed at room on a 5th floor.
Except this problem, all the days were so amazing and great.
The nights were very funny and it has a huge timetable of somethings to do.

• Stayed September 2013