“great 3 star hotel (german resort!)”
Review of THB Maria Isabel

THB Maria Isabel
Ranked #48 of 78 Hotels in Playa de Palma
Reviewed 11 April 2014

really dont understand how anyone could moan about this hotel yes food is basic but plenty to choice indoor pool (small mind u!) as for can pastilla ie playa de palma it is a GERMAN RESORT!! if you want english go to maguluf or plamanova as for lively it is april what on earth were u expecting??? most of majocra is just opening!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen D
Jose R, Gerente at THB Maria Isabel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you very much for your remark! It has been really kind! :) Would be pleasure to see you again.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Went here thinking it was an adult only LIVELY hotel....that was a lie!! The hotel wld be great to send your nan & grandad to!! The hotel and pool itself were very nice but the German Oldies were awful telling us to shut up cos we were havin a laugh!! The batman Matthau was lovely but the other one was horrid dirty looks galore and muttering stuff under his breath when he walked past us... Never ever will I go to playa del Palma again

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank jayne l
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I arrived at Maria Isabella on the Friday night. The first thing I noticed was that EVERYTHING was written in German and Spanish only, all the information booklets, signs etc... nothing was in English. The only exception was the signs that stated "we take no responsibility for missing valuables" - these signs were EVERYWHERE around the hotel, and all in English. This did set off a small alarm bell for me. The man who checked me in was friendly but didn't seem to know much about what he was doing. He asked to keep the printed copy that I presented him with which was a receipt from the website I had made my reservation through (which stated I had paid (in full) for my reservation), and he was unable to point me in the right direction of a grocery store as he said he did not know the area. This was no big deal but was noted.The walls were paper thin and I could hear every cough and movement of the man in the next room, and was unable to sleep as he was watching TV until late. The next morning I had breakfast and went for a quick walk. I returned and my room had been cleaned all ready, I changed to go for a run, and for some reason felt the need to hide my laptop and camera, I took some money from my wallet to buy water on my way back and then went for a run. On my return my access card would not work on my door. I went down to reception and was asked my room number, if I was staying alone and when I arrived and when i was leaving. My card was reactivated and I went back to my room, went to put my change back in my wallet, and all my money was gone. Thankfully all my other valuables were still there. I went down to report to reception that all my money had been stolen, and did not receive as much as an apology. The interesting part was the man showed no sign of surprise at all. I was told to report it to police. I highlighted the fact that the access card had to be reactivated and requested the hotel look into the last person to tamper with my room, the reception man said he will see if this can be done (but his tone was vague and lacked any commitment) He returned to me and said "on another note you have not paid for your room" I informed him I had paid, and I had provided the receipt on check in, and I had proof on my emails and my credit card. He proceeded to show me a unofficial looking typed document with my name and he pointed to it and said "this is you, and this is your credit card number and we have to change this on arrival which was not done". I told him that it was my name, but not my credit card number, and that the website I had booked through insisted on payment on booking and I asked to get back to my stolen money. He continued to insist that he needed to charge a credit card, and said he would charge the number written on the document. I told him I didn't care if he charged that number as it wasn't mine, and he asked for my credit card number which I refused to provide. He then refused to discuss my stolen money any further, telling me to go to the police. I then asked about access to the lockers but mentioned my fear that they are unsafe as obviously a staff member had given themselves access to my room, so how would it be different to accessing a locker (I was concerned I'd be handing over all my valuables on a silver platter). He had nothing to say to this and also refused to offer me a locker free of charge, he said he had already told the manager and would not offer me anything (still not even an apology). I soon realized that the manager was a man who he had spoken to in Spanish right in from of me. The manager had not even acknowledged me or offered an apology or looked in my direction. I highly recommend against staying at the Maria Isabel. I traveled for 6 months non stop last year without incident, this is my first ever review and it serves only to warn others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Cassandra S
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here for 10 days , training holiday (cycling) . Good food although limited sometimes , good bike room with quality security for your bike , rooms although dated were very clean as was bedding towels ect ect . Sauna and indoor pool were great just what you need after a long ride . Staff were polite friendly and helpful as were the other guests . This is a german part of the island but if you dont have a chip on your shoulder you will make friends as we did ... definatly consider going back

Room Tip: anywhere from third floor up you have great sea views
Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulrussell45

Thank you very much for your feedback! We appreciate it so much! :)

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Hotel is located near the beach and Palma airport.
Stayed here for six nights and would not return. The hotel is full of noisy German 18-30 crowd playing loud music and shouting and screaming in the rooms and corridors.
Had to move rooms the Reception staff are very pleasant and understanding however this does not stop the awful loud music and shouting from the guest rooms. If you stay here be prepared to get no sleep.
The food was very basic and the restaurant staff miserable. Probably due to the type of crowd the hotel seems to attract.
Be aware it seems to attract youngsters who want to party and have no consideration for other guests.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Flightmonkey
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Just returned from a five day stay here.
The hotel guests were all German and most of them were young groups of men.
The noise levels in the hotel were unacceptable. After two nights we asked to move rooms away from the groups. We were given a different room higher up but again the noise here was unbearable. Loud music and shouting coming from other rooms.
The food I would rate as 2 star. Not replenished quick enough, overcooked and dry.
Staff didn't seem interested in you and one of the waiters was downright rude to some guests, shouting and arguing with them in front of other guests.
On the plus side, the hotel was only 10 minutes by taxi from the airport, and less than 10 minutes walk to the beach.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dnm1
Reviewed 1 May 2013

To save your time let me summarise my experience into bullet points:
Pros:
- The Food: Don't get me wrong it is not gourmet! but if you compare it to what you normally get in an all inclusive/half board hotel, it is exceptionally good. The variety is a bit limited hence they managed to cook better quality food.
- Facilites : The hotel does have two pools, average sized compare to the size of the hotel, but they have a hot water pool and sauna as well which is quite lovely especially if you you in colder times of the year. They have gym and billiard tables as well, although I think you'll never get bored enough in Mallorca to play!
- Location: It is wonderfully close to everything, it is less than 5 minute walk to the beach, shopping centers and bus stops.
- Staff : Here's the thing! The staff of really helpful, though you might have a bit of trouble if you want to speak english! The reason is apparently this part of Mallorca is a German main holiday destination, so most of the staff (and the people) are more used to speak German rather than English.

Cons:
- Beds: They are not really comfortable as they should be, we asked for a double bedroom but we got a twin ( two beds put together ).
- Thin walls : Just hope no to get a noisy neighbour as the wall are not soundproofed, you'll almost hear everything!
- No Free Drinks: If you opt not to get all inclusive, you'll have to pay for any sort of drinks even water, they are not really expensive but could be nice if they would provide some drinks for free.

>> Typical Food examples:
Breakfast: Full english breakfast, probiotic yogurt, fruit juice, tea. coffee, salamis and sausages, cakes and muffins etc.
Dinner: Fish, paella, pasta, pork, meat balls, chicken wings, chicken nuggets, fish nuggets, vegetable rice etc.
Dessert: Sweets, cakes, cream caramel, ice cream, fruits, rice purridge etc.

>>>TIPS:
- To get to the palma city, get bus number 25 (stop is in the street opposite to the hotel ) and drop off the last stop.
- The palma cathedral is a must see.
- Try to get a excursion to the north of the island as it is unbelievably beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple