“Really don't bother!”
Review of Hotel Oleander

Hotel Oleander
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in Playa de Palma
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Poor excuse for a hotel! Big rooms, but dispeakable cheap aluminum beds, not clean at all!
The pool was nice. The entertainment poor. As for the staff, they were the highlight of the hotel! They ignored everyone who was not German, the were not polite neither helpfull and they made us wait even when they had no other customers.
Not a hotel you want to spend your money in. Playa de palma has dozens of other hotels, much better than this!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank efyGreece

Reviewed 7 August 2010

Hotel Oleander is the most unfriendly hotel I have stayed in. The staff were abrupt and unhelpful apart from one mature waiter who was really nice. The food was awful and the vending machines did not work. It was hard work getting served outside around the pool as the waiters seldom bothered to come round. The pillows were rock hard too and no instructions in the room on how to use the telephone. When I needed to contact reception about the noise from the next room I had to phone the hotel from my mobile. Then they couldnt understand, so kept putting me through to my room ! 3 times ! Nightare!..No toiletries either apart from one tiny bit of soap!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank maz4_10
Reviewed 3 June 2009

The breakfast and dinner were inadequate and unappealing. The hotel is crumbling. The column in the lobby has a chunk missing. Pieces of plaster fell off the seam of our door when we closed it. I had to go to the main lobby seven floors down to ask for towels that our maid did not furnish. I asked a maid on my floor but she said she only had towels for her rooms. The orange juice was good for breakfast. You only get fried eggs, no made to order or scrambled eggs. Sad hotel for a three star rating.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank binxy1
Reviewed 8 September 2008

All in all this was a positive experience. I agree to most of what the other reviewers have said. The rooms were clean. But, being the seasoned traveller, I checked under the bed (every day...) and it was left untouched by the mop for the period of our stay.

Breakfast is not among the most generous in variety and choices, but was fair enough,no complaints. Can not report from lunch&breakfast since we did not try it.

All of the staff we encountered were nice, friendly and helpful.

The location, as mentioned by others, is very central. 2-300 m to the promenade and beach, bars, cafes and restaurants all over the place. Still, despite being so central, I was surprised how quiet it was. That applies both to traffic, bars and guests. Guests by the way are again mostly German, which is reflected in the language skills of the staff. A handful of Brits, French, Belgians and Italians.

Spacious pool area, lots of sunbeds, ok pool-bar sums it up.

This is your typical 3-star Mallorca/Arenal/Can Pastilla hotel. Just a few 100 mtrs away from old acquaintances such as Leo, Helios and Fontanella Playa. If you visit such a hotel and are very disappointed, you need to do your homework and familiarize yourself with local standards. You get what you pay for, and that's fair and square.

If you now have come thus far in the review and are longing for the secret insiders tips, here's the reward.... Get a room above the 5th floor. I.e. 6th or 7th facing the pool area. these are the best rooms in the hotel. But keep this to yourself, as I don't want it to be common knowledge, since I plan on returning sometime soon.

If you are a 25 y' old German travelling with your party-friends - forget it. They reserve those rooms for quite grown-ups and stack the partypeople in the lower floors! Clever.

Executive summary: 3 star hotel, 4 star staff and location. Get a room in business class and order the Mojito and you are all set for a great holiday.

Stayed: August 2008
5  Thank Leon_Norway
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Oleander for 4 nights over the May bank holiday weekend. Our stay was fine, the room was clean and bathroom was a good size. The included breakfast was very good value with a large selection. Very good location as one block from the beach so quite at night but only 2 mins walk to restaurants and the beach. Nice pool and outdoor area.
The other patrons were quite a bit older (we're late twenties), but overall found the hotel fine.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Arnz19
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We spent our honeymoon at Oleander. It is a quiet hotel, close to the beach. I would rate it a 3 star hotel, with a very nice pool.

I didn't like the fact that there was no soap in the bathroom, nor hair dryer. Cleaning every day, but no bedsheets changed. We were ok, though.

The food was good and we had various menus at our reach. The staff was helpfull, also.

The German tourists were everywhere and also the etertaiment was in German language. We didn't like that very much, because we felt a little left out.
If I were to travel with children, I would return to this hotel. I wouldn't recommend it though to youg couples looking for endless nights of fun :)

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Calina L
Reviewed 25 February 2008

we have stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in august 2007. it was a nice hotel . rooms are clean and nice with air condition and balcony. hotel is in a quiet area of playa de palma. hotel has a nice pool . also beach is just 3 minutes away from the hotel. we were staying half board, breakfast and the dinner served as open buffet which has enough selection of food for everybody. i can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hanhanhan