“Lovely short break!”

Grupotel Playa de Palma Suites & Spa
Ranked #12 of 78 Hotels in Playa de Palma
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Found this hotel on the Internet, read reviews on Trip advisor, booked for 3 night short break after Christmas.
Room super, staff very friendly and helpful. Food superb.
The previous reviews were correct about the other clientele, we never met another British couple in the hotel but this did not worry us, we just enjoyed the facilities this hotel had to offer.
Local public transport was good and cheap. Local bus takes you into Palma and from there you can get a bus or train to other parts of the island cheaply.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank debbiemccarter

Reviewed 2 December 2012

We just can underline that hospitality of complete staff is fitting to the hotel category.
The suite is just spacious enough, positive to mention is the welcome package and the well equipped pantrykitchen, TV and heating is working well. We observed that doors to the garden do not close well (room 214), requiring manual adjustment to enable use of A/C resp. heating.
WLAN is not for free, and safe is currently € 1,50/day, perhaps the solution with a key is no longer state of the art.
The food is very tasty and the range of hearty dishes should satisfy every taste.
We did of course not use the pool and did not test the spa or any other sport activities offered,
so cannot give any evidence.
Knowing that the hotel is a bit aside in an quiet area, as desired, but not too far away from
the beach. Excellent for (extended) walks. In high season it would really be a favoured place
to escape from noise and hubbub.
At this time of the year most of the little shops and restaurants are closed so we cannot rate
them. Nearby the hotel one can find a super market, well equipped, with fair prices.

Room Tip: For us "garden"-side was OK.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Franz D
Reviewed 25 August 2012

hotel is nice and i cannot complain about this but make sure you ask for a room with a pool view otherwise you will end up looking at other hotels from your balcony. it is populated by almost 100% german tourist which you would expect from a german resort.
the resort is a german "blackpool" which at times appears to be quite dirty compared to other places in majorca. this is mainly at night even although not late at night. at the end of the day on the beach there is a lot of rubbish left down towards what i think was a marina but more like a place to moore boats if you know what i mean.
it was wierd to be in majorca and in the resort some locals did not speak the normal universal language of english but spoke german again not a problem as it is a german resort i just found this a bit strange.
i have nothing against the germans its just i really could not believe how many there were. if you are british and want to meet british speaking people avoid this and go to the mainly british resorts which i believe are generally nicer for family. we ended up hiring a car to get away so we could socialise and enjoy a nicer sea front enviroment.

Room Tip: ask 100% for a room with a poolside balcony otherwise you look out to the concrete jungle of other h...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 8168colin
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel with my partner few weeks ago and we both really enjoyed it. We are both very young and at first when you arrive the front of the hotel looks like a building site but this should not put you off. Hotel is well cared for and the staff are very helpful. There is also spa(and a gym) which you can use free of charge and you also get towels and bath robe for free to keep with you for duration of your stay once you are checked in.

First of all: hotel: is build around a swiming pool, the decor of the hotel is stylish and looks quite traditional Spanish, although some areas could be thought about in more detail. hotel unfortunately will charge you for wifi(€1.50 a day) and a safe(1€) but it's a very small cost for a piece of mind. The spa is well equipped in all sorts of rooms and a jacuzzi as is the gym which is also free of charge to use. The food is a standard eat what you want type food, although not a brilliant quality I never complained about it being undercooked or not tasty. We never tried lunches or dinner. You can rent tennis rackets or play minigolf at a nearby hotel for free.

Room: the room consist of kitchenette(with fridge & 2 hobs, pans etc) in a lounge area and small table and a sofa plus a nice flat tv(there are only 2 British channels), balcony, toilet with shower/bath and a nice large mirror and a bedroom. You also have plenty of storage in the room. Overall it's brilliant.

Area: at first there isn't much going on around the hotel but if you venture out(5-10 min walk) you will be at the beach with lOts of restaurants/bars/shops and entertainment until very late at night. You can walk on the beach or by the sea front and enjoy the weather and atmosphere. Everyone is mostly German and spanish speaking and so if you don't like Germans don't go there. There is a big supermarket opposit the hotel so you will be able to save a lot of money if you decide to buy drinks/ food and other things from there. There is also large sports ctr near the hotel but I never went in. Centre of Palma is about 14 miles away and it costs about 15€ to get there by taxi or you can take a bus(not sure how much) nr 25(I think) or rent a car(fr about30-40€ or a bike. We ate at few restaurants and pubisa beach restaurant which is just about 10 min away from the hotel is quite reasonable. They have skive music and good food, they also have minigolf(7€), the area seems quite safe as there is lots of police always around.

Peope: very friendly, never had any problems with Germans and others seem to just keep to themselves.

Try and ask at the reception for a pool view otherwise you will see not much.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank adasko
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Everything was excellent, the hotel staff was really nice and friendly. The hotel is located about 400m from the beach, thus you don't get to much exposed to the sometimes annoying "Kegelclubs" and "Junggesellenabschiede".

It is really clean, Food is quite good (some side dishes came twice in one week, but that's okay).

Room Tip: Ask for Pool-Side view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 30yearsofExperience
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This hotel has the worst managers I’ve had the misfortune to encounter in 15 years of business and holiday travel. The property is decaying, has no character, and the food is bland with few selections. The area is unsafe at night and far from the beach, but worst are the rude, inconsiderate, misinformed and unapologetic managers, whose conduct is condoned by Miguel, the hotel manager.

Heimie, a day manager, initiated a disturbing altercation for no cause, and then overcharged me on departure.

On 09jul2012, I checked into the Gruphotel Playa de Palma between Palma and S’Arenal. As an ex-bicycle racer I travel often with a $5000E custom bicycle, which was in my rental car. After dinner at La Sirena (very nice) and walking back to my hotel I witnessed 4 street vendors running and hiding in an open air restaurant. The Policia followed shortly. I then had to walk back the 3 blocks to this hotel, and it was obviously not safe. This was about 12:30pm, not late by Spanish norms.

Once inside I asked reception if it was okay to bring my bicycle in, as I was worried about security outside. The man with wire-rimmed glasses as the desk said it was no problem, and so I went to my car, put the wheels on and rolled my bike to my room without incident.

The next day at noon I wheeled my bike back out to my car and was immediately accosted by “Heimie”. He yelled at me and berated me in front of the other hotel guests. I was humiliated and embarrassed, but I insisted that I had permission to have my bicycle with me. Heimie continued to yell at me, calling me a liar, denying this and insisting it was impossible (this when he was not there, and did not know!) Worse, his English is poor, and he obviously understood little.

He got in my face so close I could smell his very bad breath. He followed me outside all the way to my car and kept yelling and telling me to “you check out, you check out”, inviting or insisting I leave the hotel. He would not leave me for 15 minutes until I followed him to the garage I had no need for, since I was packaging the bike for shipment that very day. He continued to harass me at my car until I locked it and rode away.

They did this to me while on holiday. To be clear, I had done nothing wrong. At 1:00am the front desk person told me to bring my bike in. Now at 12:00pm they want to throw me out for it.. Is this a holiday spa, or does "Heimie" fancy himself a prison guard?

Later I explained the situation to Miguel the holtel manager, but he offered no compensation, no apology and by the next day it was clear he did absolutely nothing.

On checking out the next day I had to go to the front desk to obtain my key deposit and see Heimie again. He said we were finished, but on reviewing the bill he did not refund my safe deposit, and I had to insist. I didn’t realize til later that he only refunded one half, as I only used the safe for 1 day, not the 2 days I stayed. Clearly he intentionally made the choice to harm a hotel guest, once again.

OTHERWISE, the hotel is clearly in an unsafe and industrial area. The view is to a trash-strewn dirt lot in front, and to a canal to the left behind barricades. To the right is a lower budget Gruphotel-managed property full of loud tourists that yell from their balconies at all hours of the day and night. The carpet in the hallway is badly stained, and some of the exterior tiles are chipping. The food is plain, the selection is poor and there is no Mallorca character. I feel sorry for the predominantly German and UK guests that don't know any better.

I had other problems, too. (1) A guest couple followed me to my room then took my “do not disturb” sign. I know this because I went right back out a moment later and it was gone. Since I needed to sleep in and had no sign, I had to return to the front desk to leave a note for housekeeping.. Then housekeeping woke me up anyway sliding wooden chairs around back and forth in the room next door - extremely loud. (2) An overly friendly spa person turned out to be after more personal information. Colluding staff could easily compromise your identify having your credit card information, knowing your passport number, birthday and your whereabouts. Using the internet wifi is a big risk. (3) On check in I was given free internet ($5E/day) with my room ($174E/day), but when I renewed my stay for another day and asked for the internet pass I was laughed at. “Why would we give you free internet?” they smirked at me. “No!” They denied that anyone gave it to me free the first day because it was not on my bill (duh!). When I saw the girl that gave it to me the day before and went to speak to her, the tall boy followed, bullied in and refused to let me converse with her privately. (4) Small children were left playing in the adult pool.

Traveling the world over, I have never been treated so rudely and disrespectfully by any hotel in my life as did Heimie, and I encourage all who read this to avoid this property. I am a frequent recreational and business traveler from the USA, this hotel rate is unimportant to me, and I have stayed in many of the finest hotels in the world (including La Residencia in Deia, Mallorca). I am an educated professional and avid cyclist, and I have no interest in nor bias for or against this, or any hotel. But I do have better things to do than this.

I understand Spanish unemployment is now 25%. I encourage Gruphotel to dismiss Miguel for doing nothing and tacitly, if not explicitly, encouraging this sort of treatment of guests, and to most certainly to rid themselves of the liability that is Heimie. I’m sure there are plenty of better qualified, more appreciative, appealing and more pleasant people to be working in guest relations than these.

Room Tip: Be at the end of the hall to minimize strange or drunk guests following you to your room at night.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
13  Thank Dzinr9
Reviewed 24 June 2012

took the marathon package with thompson..nice hotel great food but mainly germans staying.early breakfast on day of majorca marathon (very importatnt)for runners... beach 10 min walk and it is beautiful..go to the mega park this is a massive german pub which can hold 4000 people its bedlam in there when busy but worth a visit.will be going back this october.

Room Tip: rooms at rear are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends