“Very good but could be better”

Hotel Cristobal Colon
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Playa de Palma
Zurich, Switzerland
“Very good but could be better”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel during Easter break and made the booking via booking.com, that included half-board (breakfast and dinner).

Location: Situated in a quiet street 5 mins walk from Playa de Palmas. However, many houses along the street have dogs which bark constantly during the night. Everything which you need is within walking distance.

Pubic Transport: The nearest bus stop (Hotel Garonda) is 5 mins walk away and is served by 3 bus lines. Bus 21 goes to/from the airport and costs 3 Euros per person, frequency 2/hr. Buses 15 and 25 go to Las Palmas but 15 takes the long route. Both lines have a frequency of 3/hr. Everyone wants to take Bus 25 so it is very crowded.

Hotel reception: Always friendly and helpful. We did not meet any exceptions. And they actually do something about noisy guests (see below).

Restaurant: Service generally excellent and friendly. The quality and variety of food was ok but became progressively tedious during our week's stay. The hot plate station changes its menu on a daily basis but always serves 2 types of fishes (which you should enjoy whilst you are in Mallorca). Breakfast is free seating but dinner is fixed seating. We were annoyed because the hotel website states that dinner is served between 18.30 and 21.30. The reality is, they split the guests into two groups. The 1st group has to take their dinner between 18.30 - 20.00, the second group between 20.15 and 21.30. We were placed into the later slot which worked for us in the end because we could stay out longer. So make sure you state your preference when you make the booking.

Bar: Nothing special. They organise evening events such as Flamenco Dance, Discos and Transvetite shows on different days. The performance could be improved with some simple changes which I conveyed to one of the staff. But the shows themselves are great.

Swimming Pool: Cleaned on a daily basis. Older guests mostly enjoy relaxing on the sun beds. I can imagine that these get occupied quickly during summer. The pool is a reasonable size.

Rooms: There are pool-facing rooms which get the sunshine. Obviously these come at a higher price. Again, state your preference when you make your booking. We were placed in a room facing the street and we got no sunshine which made it cold and depressing. The rooms for 2 are quite small and the furnishing is outdated. The flatscreen TVs are small (14") and non-Spanish channels are NOT satellite. The mini-bars are locked and cost 25 Euros. The safe also cost 15 Euros. Wifi is available bust costs 15 Euros for 1 week. I think all the rooms are painted every year because both our rooms smelt of paint. Each room has a balcony with a rack for drying clothes. Apart from the usual, the bathrooms has a bidet and hairdryer. The heating / air conditioning only switch on if the balcony door is firmly closed. In summary, the rooms are functional but not special. The bad points are: Thin walls. People can hear their neighbours talking and this is normal talking. Hence, I am only giving "sleep quality" an average rating.

Lifts: Two lifts which run very efficiently. No complaints. I have seen other hotels with much slower lifts.

Car Parking: None. But you can park on the street without any restrictions.

General summary:
The hotel is generally very good and the best point has to be the staff. All were very friendly and helpful. They all speak German and most speak English. There is a rule which asks guests to be quiet after 10pm. We were unlucky to have 2 sisters from Munich next to us from the 4th day of our stay. They would come back at 4 or 5 am from their partying and did not have any consideration for other guests. We informed reception, and they promptly monitored them the following night. So do not hesitate to call or inform reception if you find yourselves in such a situation, because they will take action.

The only negative point for me was the optional extras which, in many other hotels, are free of charge (roomsafe and minibar). I named this hotel the EasyHotel of Mallorca because of this.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank fargone2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have spent four days, during the Easter holidays, and since the moment I arrived I knew that I loved the hotel. They received us with a card on our name, and one present for each of us, which was lovely. The room, very clean and tidy, has an excellent sight. The staff is allways ready to help, for instance, they contacted the rent a car company at 22:00h and arranged everything for us, or they served us a bottle of cold cava in the room when they found out that we had got married 10 days before. All the staff greets the gests with a smile in their face and it makes me feel at home, even when they are speaking a language I can't speak, because I simply perceive their kindness. I'm planning a trip to Mallorca with some friends and I definitelly know that I want to come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: The different floors of the hotel are L-shaped and one side of the L faces a soft and nice hill whil...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 235CarmenQ
London
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My family have known this hotel for many years. I have been visiting the area since 1981 as my aunt lives in the same street as the hotel. Every year we would use the pool and bar in the hotel and wish we we're staying here. It always looked like fun, very clean, great food etc. so when I chose to get married in 2005 in the little church around the corner I decided I would stay here (for 3 weeks with approx 12. Members of my family) and am so pleased that we did. The bar staff (some of them have known me since I was 5 years old) we as fab as ever, the hotel staff were great and the hotel itself did not disappoint. It is now 2013 and i am planning to return with hubby and our gorgeous 6 and 3 year old daughters, can't wait to show them where I spent many happy times as a child and where their daddy and I stayed when we got married. Just hope some of the fab bar staff are still there. This hotel has impressed me and my family for over 30 years, go there, enjoy the atmosphere, relax in its surroundings, and if you want to get married pop round to the little church in the square - they do a really good wedding.

Room Tip: It's where we got married !!!! ( having knows hotel since 1981)
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Madrid
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Located in a very nice area, 2 blocks from the waterfront with a 8/10 kms. of beautiful sandy beaches but beware of the bicycles they are everywhere. We had all our meals included & at every meal you had a choice of 2 meats & 2 fishes grilled to your taste.
Rooms are small, so is the pool area, otherwise very nice.

Room Tip: Tourist are mostly German but you will always find people who speak English.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grandmafina
London
Reviewed 7 September 2005

I stayed at this hotel with 15 members of my family (we went to Mallorca to get married). Every single person absolutely loved this hotel. Its well appointed and super clean. The staff are wonderful – they just can’t do enough to help you. Fantastic breakfast - great pool - 2 mins from beach. This hotel is an absolute must; we honestly can’t recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed August 2005