“I'd rather keep this place a secret”
Review of Localize

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Les Anses d'Arlet
Localize
amsterdam
“I'd rather keep this place a secret”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I hesitated writing a review since I don't want Grand Case Oukae to become too popular... I want to be able to stay there again and again!

We've stayed in these apartments twice. The first time in March of 2010 in Ti-Bo and again in December 2012 in Ti-Moun. Fellow travelers with us on this second visit stayed in Ti-Fleur.

First, as I understand, the former (badly reviewed) Localize apartments on the opposite end, are now managed by Valerie. Valerie is a wonderful host. Communication prior to the visit was always timely, informative and friendly. And once on site, she and her staff are always available, taking care of any needed maintenance and checking if everything is ok with your stay.

Ti-Bo and Ti-Moun are the largest of apartments, with a bedroom, bathroom, plus extra living space, and a washing machine for clothes. The rest are bedroom/bathroom only. All have an outdoor kitchen. We find the decorations to be tasteful, the rooms neat and well maintained. There is also a/c available, which we used sometimes at night.

Location and price are what really sets this place apart. You cannot find any more "on the beach" or "sea view" then this. Add a glorious view of the sunset to that and it's heaven. The beach directly in front of Grand Case is rocky however, this is a great area to set out for snorkeling. A bit to the left and there are patches of sea grass. I saw sea turtles every time I went out. Walk down the beach towards the right, and it is sandy and very, very clear. With minimal waves so it is quite pleasant just to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Grande Anse has one small superette, though not very useful. There is a strip of restaurants some of which are not great at all and other spectacular. See also my review of Chez Evelyne. We also enjoyed Le P'tite Bateau and Les fruit de Patience very, very much. Ti-Sable is great for view and location though the food is not outstanding. Will add reviews on these restaurants as well.

I really enjoy the local feeling of staying at Grand Case. Every morning it's possible to buy a fresh baguette from a local who drives through the area. Every few days there is the same with fresh fruit. And often fishermen selling their catch. We didn't get the opportunity to use it but, there are bbq's in the garden for use. Further, there are more then enough beach chairs, hammocks and tables for everyone to sit out and enjoy the scenery. Also clothes line, outdoor showers/hoses to rinse the sand off before going into your apartment. This last visit in December there was plenty of parking. Though I remember our visit in March we occasionally had to search for a bit.

Although most of the neighbors were French, and our French is poor at best, we still found everyone to be most friendly with regular greetings and hello's.

Don't forget to bring mosquito repellant. It was especially bad in December. As long as you close the shutters of the apartment before sundown, it's not a problem inside the apartment.

All in all, I find Grand Case Oukae and Valerie absolutely wonderful. I love Martinique and it is one of the few places that I will plan regular visits to for relaxation, beautiful scenery and friendly people.

Room Tip: Ti-Bo and Ti-Moun are the largest and having washing machines. And, it's great having a room in...