“SPA BREAK FOR 60TH BIRTHDAY”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I booked a Spa break for 6 girls to celebrate my 60th, we had the Superior Rooms overlooking the golf course with outside seating. The rooms were pristine with a lovely bathroom with a large separate shower. No Duvets but lovely soft fleece blankets and sheets. The food was excellent and of good portion size. The staff were friendly and helpful. The Spa was lovely with 8 treatment rooms so great if there are a few of you. The pool, Sauna and Steam room were fine if a little small. Would definately go back excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Superior rooms lovely and large with great views.
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback in relation to your spa weekend here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. We have recently spent £400,000 on refurbishing our spa and creating additional treatment rooms and a razul so this kind of feedback is very much appreciated. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Have just returned from 2 days at Hill Valley. I read the reviews prior to leaving and knowing I was playing on the Sapphire course first I must admit I was a little worried about its condition.

How wrong I was. The Sapphire course is small by comparison but the level of difficulty is 10/10. I would challenge any visitor to shoot a lower score on the Sapphire then the Emerald. It's not suprising that the course record of 62 is held on both courses. The greens on both courses were absolutely superb, the staff in the hotel were fantastic and very helpful. I stayed here 12 years ago and wasn't that impressed, but wow! This place has really turned itself around and I never recognised it as I drove in due to the fact that they had built virtually a whole new hotel on the site.

Although I didn't play great, I loved the place and if I lived near there would join in a heartbeat. What really suprised me were how friendly and courteous the green-keepers were. They smiled and waved as they trimmed the fairways which I've never experienced at any course. I know it doesn't sound much but such a small thing like that made me feel extremely welcome. I think our green keepers could learn a few things from Hill Valley. All in all I loved the place and will definitely be booking to come back soon. Well done to all the hard working staff there and the manager.

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the first tee is a must!
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

I would like to thank you for your much valued feedback in relation to your recent golfing weekend here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am very pleased you enjoyed the Sapphire course as it offers some of the best holes in the area and though a little shorter than the Emerald is very challenging. Your feedback in relation to the condition of both courses is very much appreciated and I will of course pass this on to on our hard working greens team. This summer has been particularly difficult due to the terrible weather conditions we have endured so the feedback I am sure will be gratefully received.

Hill Valley is also blessed with terrific people who I am pleased to say go out of their way to ensure our guests have a wonderful time, and it is extremely satisfying when our guests recognise this and pass on their comments.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments and I do hope you consider returning to Hill Valley again in the future where hopefully you can improve upon your score this year! Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 27 June 2012

We had a fantastic meal on Saturday 23rd June. It was my birthday and the staff pulled out all the stops to make it a lovely evening. The food was superb as was the service (especially a young waiter nicknamed Harry). Thank you to everyone at Hill Valley especially the chef!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Audrey W
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Firstly may I wish you a belated happy birthday! I would also like to pass on my sincere thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments in relation to your recent dinner experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience and that Harry looked after you. I will of course pass on your feedback to the team, and I very much look forward to hosting many more birthday celebrations here at Hill Valley in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Just back from our Lady Captain's Outing at Hill Valley and, apart from the weather which was disappointing, everything about the hotel and course was really positive which is why I think it deserves 5 stars.

Firstly the staff are fabulous - obviously very well-trained in customer care and, without fail, it was service with a smile everywhere in the hotel which was really lovely. The food was excellent, beautifully presented too. As I don't eat meat, dairy or eggs, a trip with a group can be tricky but the chefs and restaurant staff rose to the challenge and never once made me feel like a nuisance and I felt very well looked after the whole time.

A word of thanks to the friendly Pro who waited until after 7pm for us to finish the course and take our clubs and trolleys to the lock-up garage to store our things overnight.

The room my friend and I had (219) was spacious, comfortable and sparkingly clean, two nice armchairs by the big window overlooking the 1st and 18th holes of the Emerald Course. No complaints at all!

Finally, despite the wind and rain, I loved both courses and would love to return and play them again in the sunshine!

1  Thank ImgoingtoBarbados
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. We do have a wonderful team here ay Hill Valley, and we have recently recruited some first class managers who are making a real difference to our service delivery throughout the hotel. It is always very pleasing to receive such feedback as it highlights to the team that their efforts are not in vain. The weather has not been kind to us this season; however I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Hill Valley in the future as both courses are much more enjoyable in the sunshine! Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed for 2 nights and booked dinner bed and breakfast for 2.
Hotel amenities and layout very nice but restaurant could do with a bit of a sort out.
Food was poor, but we did buy the package with club card points so can't complain, we did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I was very surprised and disappointed to read your comments about the quality of the food, as the standard of the food with Macdonald Hotels is generally excellent and is something we are extremely proud of. I would very much welcome a more detailed explanation into the food offering and you are more than welcome to contact me directly on 0844 879 9049 to discuss this in more detail.

I also note your comments about the restaurant and you will be pleased to hear that we have recently recruited a new restaurant & bars manager who has already make a substantial impact into the service delivery in our food & beverage areas. I would urge you to re-visit Hill Valley in order to see for yourself the improvements we have made within the last 4 weeks.

Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Arrived for short break 2 days using Tesco Vouchers in part payment.
Hotel grounds and golf courses well maintained.
Had upgraded to executive room overlooking golf course which was well worth it.
Dogs welcome for small payment.
Drinks a little expensive but as expected for this type of hotel
Food well prepared but could be a little more creative in presentation
Large swimming pool.
Only one let down for which they apologised, final account was £80 overcharged so check your bill before settling.

Room Tip: Executive rooms recommended, ground floor rooms with patio doors to grassed area overview golf cours...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4startravelbugs
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

I would to pass on my sincere thanks for your feedback in relation to your recent visit here to Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and I will certainly pass on your comments in relation to the food presentation to our executive chef,

I was a little concerned reading your comments in relation to your final bill and it appears that bills are not being checked thoroughly before presenting them to our guests. I have spoken with my front office manager and instructed her to address this with her team immediately. Once again many thanks for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back to Hill Valley in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 26 May 2012

Me and three golf buddys had a two night stay ,playing three rounds of golf.
The saphire course was short but quit testing.
The Emerald course was a differant beast altogether.Very long with small greens which we found fast to say they had plenty of grass on them.
I would recommend the buggies.
The hotel accommidation was top notch,rooms large but beds were small.
(dont know if the bed being uncomfortable kept me awake or my mate snoring.)
Overaul had a great time and would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank shaunfearnley
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

I would like to take the opportunity of thanking your for passing on your feedback in relation to your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am delighted that you enjoyed your golfing break and that you found both courses to be testing. We are extremely proud of both of our courses here at Hill Valley, as like your self, we feel both offer very different challenges. Your comments are very much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Hawkstone Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston-under-Redcastle
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!