“NICE STAY”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chester, United Kingdom
“NICE STAY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here with friends & we had a nice room. Good reception staff, made us very welcome etc. Room well fitted out & comfortable.
We dont live that far away but one of our friends was celebrating a birthday.
What made our stay was our visit into Whitchurch. We had such a lovely day & late evening!!
Would deffo stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and I sincerely hope you decide to return again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Stafford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just returned from a spa day/over night stay package at Hill Valley. First impressions were good met and checked in by Hannah at reception who was helpful and friendly and gave us all the info we needed. Room was great clean, modern bathroom, comfortable beds and generally nice. We went down to the spa area again staff were friendly and helpful. The spa changing room was tiny and seperate to the toilets with no private area to get changed. We went to the pool side, were all the sun loungers were taken by peoples robes and towels, it was incredibly hot pool side and with no where to sit and read we headed to the relaxation room which was also full. We decided we would head back to our room and spend some time reading in their as there was no room in the spa for us. We ordered room service for lunch which was prompt, fresh and a good portion. We went back down to the spa area and decided to check out the steam room. The steam room was fairly small and busy, we sat down to listen to a group of ladies who were chatting loudly across the steam room at each other. After speaking to the ladies concerened about the possibility of them lowereing the noise due to us being at a spa resort one began singing! We went to the relaxation room to again find a group of ladies chatting again, when their were people sleeping in the room. The relaxation room was lovely and once the ladies i was able to really relax in a lovely space with comfy beds blankets and chairs. My treatements were lovely, we would like to say Amy was very professional and softly spoken which was great for the spa environment. Food with the package was ok, nothing amazing just ok. Drink prices were expensive, we were told at check in that the Masters bar would be open in the evening where we would receieve 20% off drink prices, when we went it was shut. So we went to reception to be told it wouldnt be open due to staff being off sick, but we were presented with a 20% discount card to use during our stay on drinks. We had some trouble ordering cocktails there was no mint for a mojito, no peach puree for a bellini but we were offered mango puree as an alternative, but that didnt quite work as well. The bar staff didn't seem to familiar with the cocktail menu, and had to go and find out " what that is". One bar man seemed new, which is fair enough but when he went to the older more experienced looking staff for advice they didnt seem to know eiether.
Overall the hotel is nice, we were dissapointed with the spa as it could not cope with the number of residents and people booked in as external spa packages. We had a nice time, the hotel is well kept and the staff are really friendly. We would like to give Hannah on reception, Amy from the spa a special mention, thank you ladies you did a great job. Also to the young bar assistant wh worked really hard, sorry i dont know his name.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent spa break her at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am bitterly disappointed that your stay was marred by some service issues.

Firstly I would like to inform you that work started on Monday on a £50,000 refurbishment of our spa lounge as we have realised that following the treatment room refurbishment last year we required more space for our spa visitors. The spa lounge, once completed will be double the size of our existing lounge.

I would like to apologise for the shortfalls in service you received in our food & beverage areas during your stay. It is evident following your feedback that further training is required for our bar team. Yes, we have recruited some new team members recently; however we also have enough senior team members in situ who have been trained on preparing cocktails. I would like to assure you that this level of service is certainly not indicative of the usual standards offered to guests at Hill Valley and I have a meeting planned with my food & beverage manager to instruct him to initiate this training immediately.

It is also my intention to investigate the reasons surrounding the closure of our Masters Bar as I was unaware of any staff shortages over the weekend.

I would like to thank you for your complimentary comments in relation to selected members of the team. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the people concerned.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I sincerely hope these incidents will not deter you from using the facilities here at Hill Valley again in the future.

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were a party of 12 ladies enjoying a weekend golf break. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, the rooms were excellent, the food was good (although I did have an 'off' sausage for breakfast on our last day!) Coffee, tea and drinks at the bar were very expensive but price of 'house' wine with dinner proved not too excessive for hotel prices at just under £16 per bottle but you had to make sure you asked for 'house' or you were provided with a much more expensive option! The Emerald course was excellent, greens good and fairly true. The Sapphire course was challenging with all the ups and downs (you know where the hotel gets its name from) but the greens were very poor. Having said that, I would certainly go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback following your recent golf break with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and managed to get out and play both courses.

Many thanks for your comments about our Emerald Course – it truly is a wonderful course; however I would like to apologise for the poor condition of the greens on the Sapphire. We encountered some technical issues with our irrigation system earlier in the summer and to compound the problem we had one of the driest summers on record. The green team have spent some considerable time these last 8 weeks on the course and I hope to have the greens back to tip top condition very soon.

I have outlined a major winter maintenance programme for the Sapphire Course this year and I sincerely hope you decide to return next year and see the improvements.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

It's a great shame that this nice place has gone sadly downhill recently. The food was poor, the bar prices were outrageous and the second golf course needs care and attention.

On the plus side, the staff are pleasant and helpful and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

It is very unlikely that we shall visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was extremely disappointed to read you comments and in particular your comments about the quality of the food. Macdonald Hotels prides itself on providing only the best quality food and in general the feedback is very positive. It would help enormously if you could elaborate on your “food is poor” comment in order for me to investigate the issue in further detail. Please feel free to contact me directly on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk with some further details.

I do tend to agree with your comments in relation to the Sapphire Course, as we had some technical problems with our irrigation system earlier in the summer and to compound the problem we had one of the driest summers on record. The course has taken longer than anticipated to recover; however the greens team have recently spent some considerable time over there and have also outlined a comprehensive winter maintenance programme for the course so I would hope to see the course back to its best next summer.

I would sincerely hope you would consider returning again next season.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Went to a wedding nice location but ridiculously expensive for flat vile drinks I suggest they should clean the beer lines. Food was average on the buffet to say the least with half cooked chicken amongst the delights on offer. Management need to rethink there quality or they will suffer, fed up of going to over expensive venues and getting 1 star food and drink.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Fedupo
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in relation to your recent event here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa and as you can imagine I was extremely disappointed to read your comments in relation to your experience.

Firstly I would like to assure you that the beer lines are cleaned on a weekly basis here at the hotel; however I do take note of your comments and I have instructed my food & beverage manager to check the lines and clean if necessary. I was very puzzled with your comments in relation to under cooked chicken. This is a very serious allegation and as far as I am aware I have received no complaint with regards to any under cooked food recently. We are very passionate about the quality of food we serve here at Macdonald Hill Valley and in all honesty the feedback in relation to the quality of the food here is generally very positive; however admittedly we do not get it right all the time and if we do fail to meet our customer expectations then I would very much like to know where we have failed in order to make the necessary improvements for the future.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback and I would like to offer my sincere apologies if we failed to meet your expectations.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I had a 2 night stay as a part of a group of 12 golf society. The hotel reception on arrival was excellent and made booking in seamless as well pre ordered dinner menu. The rooms are modern, spacious and clean, with views over the first tee. However, sports bar was closed on first night and we were pointed towards hotel bar, where the prices were outrageous,ie, 2 gin & tonics £20+ The dinner menu was very good and food was excellent!. after golf on the second day, the sports bar was open for business with a 20% discount on food and drinks, however, one staff dealing with everything and there must have been 5 other societies other than ours. and cash only due the card machine not working (conveniently)
We got the feeliing golfers were after thoughts and the priority was wedding parties.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. On the whole it appears you had an enjoyable stay with us; however I would like to apologise for the service issues surrounding the Masters Bar (Sports Bar).

Firstly I am puzzled as to why the bar wasn’t open on your first evening, especially considering the number of golf groups in the hotel. I have instructed my food & beverage manager to ensure the bar is open every weekend and also when we have large golf groups staying at the hotel. Secondly we did have problems with our card processing machine which has since been rectified.

In relation to your comments relating to our bar prices I can assure you we do investigate the pricing in our competitor hotels and or prices are set accordingly. As you pointed out we do also offer a discounted tariff in our Masters Bar.

Once again many thanks for your comments. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hotel caters for many markets and my judgement is from the standpoint of a group of 12 golfers on a break booked through a specialist operator.

The twin rooms were spacious, clean and more than adequate. We were all surprised at the limited range of TV channels in-room. No Sky Sports! But it is available in the "Masters" Bar so not a show stopper.

We played the main "Emerald" Course all three days. This is a superb course with lots of interesting holes, skilful use of landscape elevation changes and enough to challenge our handicaps ranging from 9-27. A real plus is that we were booked for one round to be on the less challenging "Saphire" but the pro shop volunteered that a couple of greens were not up to scratch and let us play the "Emerald". Nice one lads! And appreciated.

Turning to the hotel, the staff were all friendly and professional. The food was fine except for: 1.the bacon butties ordered at the bar on arrival. Cold bacon and a "moist" bun suggesting a micro wave blast..... 12 lads on a golf break can cope with that but maybe not the standard that hotel management would like to think slips through.
2. Coffee being a paid for extra at dinner at circa £4.60 ... I say "circa" because none of us bothered to order it. Even if one accepts that in these dire financial times coffee can justifiably be an "extra" at dinner.....the price here is profiteering.

My major complaint though is the cost of drinks. Ridiculous. Night two saw us sipping Jamesons purchased from the local Sainsbury's rather than repeat the wallet-draining experiences of Friday night. I'd urge management to reflect that their target market at the weekend is social groups (weddings and golfers) spending their own money, not business people on expenses. Sadly our group of 12 will not return here, and when booking our next one will be minded to either avoid "MacDonalds" or at least heavily research the beverage pricings/ nearness of local hostelries. A real shame because the staff are friendly and the Emerald Course is terrific.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the first tee and was on the 2nd floor. View was brilliant and no noise I could...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa.

I am delighted than on the whole you had an enjoyable stay and I very much appreciate your comments in relation to the Emerald Course. I sincerely believe it is one of the best courses in the North West.

Quite rightly pointed out the inadequate bacon sandwiches on arrival as it is this attention to detail that sets us apart from our competitors. It is no good serving a first class dinner and excellent breakfast if we are unable to offer the basics of a decent bacon sandwich. I have spoken at length with my executive chef to ensure he is monitoring the delivery of this with the same vigilance he monitors dinner service.

I was disappointed to read your comments in relation to our prices. I can assure you that a great deal of time and competitor analysis is taken before setting our prices, and we feel that our food & beverage prices are in line with similar four star golf resorts. We do also offer a discounted tariff in our Masters Bar at all times.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback and I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again in the future.

Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
#5 of 6 in Oswestry

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!