“Geat hotel very poor golf courses”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have just returned from a group golfing weekend at hill valley golf and country club.
Firstly I would like to positively comment on the hotel.
Our group found the hotel to be of excellent quality, the staff being very attentive and helpful. The breakfast was excellent, room spotless and spa facilities were great. We would highly recommend the hotel to others.
Now to the negative aspects.
Unfortunately we were extremely disappointed with the condition of the golf courses. The main course, the Emerald, was extremely untidy, with the greens being extremely soft and uneven, it lacked any real definition with the sand bunkers being bereft of any sand. Due to the untidy nature of the course we spent ages looking for golf balls that were hit in the middle of the fairway!!! I realise that given the recent wet weather that perfection was never going to be the order of the day however we expected a course in reasonable condition, it was clearly not.
With regards to the Sapphire course where do I start?
Firstly it should have been shut !!!
The course was extremely wet, it was very,very untidy,balls were getting lost in the middle of the fairway whilst the greens were the worst I have ever played on !!!
We were so disappointed with the condition of the course that we only played 12 holes and decided to abandon the round and head for home, my putting stroke is bad enough without having to putt on what I loosely call greens.to be fair the layout is good however its condition lets it down big time.
We played the course as part of a package, had we paid a green fee we would have most certainly demanded a refund.
If you are considering a golfing break at this location this winter I would seriously think twice, yes the Golf packages that are on offer are certainly competitively priced however I would recommend that you consider other locations as you are likely to be extremely disappointed with the golf facilities.
This is very unfortunate as the hotel itself is fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was extremely disappointed to read your negative comments in relation both our golf courses. We have two wonderful courses here which we are very proud of and generally the feedback we receive is always very positive.

We have encountered some problems with our greens on the Sapphire course this summer which we are in the process of addressing. Unfortunately this process does take some time; however I have seen a marked improvement recently. With the torrid weather we have recently endured it is of course going to be extremely difficult to keep the courses dry, and had we closed the course as you suggested I am pretty certain we would have received complaints. I do know that my golf professional warned you that the course was extremely wet and offered to move you across to the Emerald Course which you declined.

One of the features of both courses is that every fairway is lined with trees, as we have over 35,000 trees on the resort. Unfortunately the downside to this is that during an 8-10 week period during the autumn there is a considerable amount of falling leaves which my greens team try their utmost to clean up on a daily basis. Our golf residential pricing reflects this over the period and I can assure you that the golf team will always try their utmost to ensure both courses are playable and to get golfers out onto the golf course.

I certainly do appreciate your feedback and I can understand your frustrations that the courses were very wet underfoot; however you must also appreciate that there is very little the hotel can do in terms of controlling the weather. I will however speak to my head green keeper and instruct him to commit some additional manpower to the cleaning up of the leaves over the next 3-4 weeks.

I would very much like you to return to Hill Valley again next year when the weather improves so that you can experience the courses in much better condition, so I would urge you to contact me directly on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk where I would be more than happy to consider favourable rates.

Once again many thanks for your much valued feedback.

Yours sincerely, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Just back from my 4th visit in a year to this hotel. I cannot fault it. Rooms are spotless, spacious & comfortable. Food is delicious and restaurant staff are superb. Especially Esther.
The spa is beautiful. Each time I come home feeling totally relaxed and chilled. There was a couple of hiccups this time with times and treatments but that didn't stop us having a fab time. They had stand in staff as all the regular staff were on training courses as they are changing from decleor products to Elemis. Our treatments were great.
One member of staff I must mention is Harry on reception. This young man is courteous, polite, helpful and very very good at his job. He really does give this hotel a good name. Im going to book again for after xmas. I love the place.

• Stayed: October 2013

What a wonderful review! I would like to thank you for passing on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It was especially pleasing to read your comments in relation to the team here at the hotel, as I firmly believe that it is the people who work in a hotel that make the guest experience much more memorable.

I will of course pass on your feedback to the team and I look forward to seeing you again in the New Year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, 1st wk end in Oct. There was a group of us as we were all going to a Wedding, we were greeted by lovely Receptionists. Arrived early 11am and we could check in as the rooms were ready. The rooms were great very spacious and clean , towels were changed each day, could have done with a few more toiletries.
The swimming pool was good as was the sauna and steam room and helpful staff.
Found the snacks a bit pricey and didn't eat in in the evening, but breakfast was well worth it , there was everything you could ask for and staff again very pleasant.
All in all got a deal with Booking .com and was very satisfied, planning to go back next year with the same group.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I sincerely hope you can take full advantage of our wonderful spa facilities on your return visit next year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here for one night with our dog en route to West Wales. Reception were very friendly & professional and we were allocated a ground floor room with patio doors overlooking the course. It was large, light, quiet, modern & cosy with excellent en suite & toiletries. The TV was flat screen & easily viewed from the chairs and bed but we were able to access only the basic channels. Wifi was available & no problem.
In the evening we ate in the bar. There was a good standard bar food menu with mains eg fish & chips around the £15 mark. The food was high quality, hot & well presented. Service was cheerful and speedy. Breakfast in the restaurant was first class and the service professional. The large choice of fruits, cereal, pastries etc... was unusual for most hotels and the hot breakfasts again were generous in size, hot and well presented.
The location on a roundabout between Chester, Shrewsbury and Whitchurch is ideal for anyone wanting a stop off on a journey.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

I would like to thank you for your feedback following your recent experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just returned from a Golf weekend with fellow golfers, my wife and 2 year old Son.

The Good.
The whole place was very clean with decent hotel facilities. The rooms were excellent, modern and had everything needed.
The swimming pool was also good and our 2 year old loved it.
Evening meal and morning breakfast were also ok too.

The Bad.
The bar seemed under staffed especially on Sunday afternoon. The staff working seemed under pressure and didn't know what to do first!
The layout of the Emerald course was fantastic however the whole course including the greens needed a good mow. It's all there but just needs taking care of!

The Ugly.
Like a lot of the other reviewers, the greens on the Sapphire were awful and the worse I've ever played on. Again, they spoilt a good lay out.

• Stayed: October 2013
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa.

Firstly I would like to thank you for your positive comments in relation to the hotel and our facilities as well as your complimentary comments about your dining experiences.

I would like to pass on my sincere apologies for the condition of the greens over on the Sapphire Course. As you have pointed out this complaint has been a common complaint over the summer and it was most unfortunate that the technical problem we encountered with our irrigation system took much longer than we anticipated repairing. In hindsight we should have manually watered the greens and I am sure the green keeping team have learnt a valuable lesson from this. The greens are slowly recovering and following the comprehensive winter maintenance programme for the course I would hope to see the course back to its best next summer.

I would also like to apologise for your experience in the bar on the Sunday afternoon. I was unaware of any staffing shortages over this period; however I have discussed your feedback with my food & beverage manager and instructed him to ensure the lounge bar is adequately staffed at all times.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and hope you will return to Hill Valley again sometime in the future.

Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We attended this hotel for a golf weekend. Playing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The longer of the two golf courses, was really well looked after and in great condition. The shorter of the two was in need of some tlc, especially on the greens.

Our twin room was nice, clean and airy.

The only downside, and it was quite a big downside, seeing as we were spending a lot of time at the hotel, was the prices of the drinks. There was a 30% off voucher given at the check in, which seemed to get taken into account sometimes and not others. A glass of fresh orange (seen poured from a carton) cost nearer £5. A bottle of Pinot Grigio cost £25, the same quality as a £5 bottle from sainsburys round the corner from the hotel.

All members of staff were friendly and were up for a laugh.

There was one room, the sports bar, which seemed to have an issue with flies, so much so that the poor chap who had to suffer this infestation behind the bar, was asking the guests if we had any fly spray... Had to laugh.

If you want a good golfing weekend then I would recommend, but be aware that if you like a good drink afterwards, it will hit the wallet quite hard.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am pleased that on the whole you seemed to enjoy your weekend with us.

I would like to pass on my sincere apologies for the condition of the greens over on the Sapphire Course. I do tend to agree with your comments in relation to the Sapphire Course, as we had some technical problems with our irrigation system earlier in the summer and to compound the problem we had one of the driest summers on record. The course has taken longer than anticipated to recover; however the greens team have recently spent some considerable time over there and have also outlined a comprehensive winter maintenance programme for the course so I would hope to see the course back to its best next summer.

I was surprised to read your comments in relation to the problems with flies in our Masters Bar as we have not encountered any issues all summer. Following your feedback I have contact our local pest control services to investigate the area surrounding our Masters Bar and carry our any remedial work where necessary.

In response to your comments in relation to our bar prices I would like to assure you that a great deal of research has been carried out into our pricing and our prices are very much in line with our competitor golfing resorts. We also a heavily discounted bar tariff in our sports bar which is available to all our guests.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again in the future.

Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here with friends & we had a nice room. Good reception staff, made us very welcome etc. Room well fitted out & comfortable.
We dont live that far away but one of our friends was celebrating a birthday.
What made our stay was our visit into Whitchurch. We had such a lovely day & late evening!!
Would deffo stay again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and I sincerely hope you decide to return again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!