I have just returned from a group golfing weekend at hill valley golf and country club.
Firstly I would like to positively comment on the hotel.
Our group found the hotel to be of excellent quality, the staff being very attentive and helpful. The breakfast was excellent, room spotless and spa facilities were great. We would highly recommend the hotel to others.
Now to the negative aspects.
Unfortunately we were extremely disappointed with the condition of the golf courses. The main course, the Emerald, was extremely untidy, with the greens being extremely soft and uneven, it lacked any real definition with the sand bunkers being bereft of any sand. Due to the untidy nature of the course we spent ages looking for golf balls that were hit in the middle of the fairway!!! I realise that given the recent wet weather that perfection was never going to be the order of the day however we expected a course in reasonable condition, it was clearly not.
With regards to the Sapphire course where do I start?
Firstly it should have been shut !!!
The course was extremely wet, it was very,very untidy,balls were getting lost in the middle of the fairway whilst the greens were the worst I have ever played on !!!
We were so disappointed with the condition of the course that we only played 12 holes and decided to abandon the round and head for home, my putting stroke is bad enough without having to putt on what I loosely call greens.to be fair the layout is good however its condition lets it down big time.
We played the course as part of a package, had we paid a green fee we would have most certainly demanded a refund.
If you are considering a golfing break at this location this winter I would seriously think twice, yes the Golf packages that are on offer are certainly competitively priced however I would recommend that you consider other locations as you are likely to be extremely disappointed with the golf facilities.
This is very unfortunate as the hotel itself is fantastic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire