Booked with a 3rd party as a two day one night golfing break. Included in the price was 2 rounds of golf, dinner, bed & breakfast with a buggy for the first round and 20% off drinks at the bar!
Very nice large room. Nice and clean, comfortable beds with a couple of chairs, writing desk, trouser press and good sized TV. The golf pro was very helpful over the course of the 2 days, changing tee times etc. and despite the very poor weather we did enjoy the golf overall. The pool was nice, sauna hot and the steam room was …..steamy! All good so far, plus the breakfast was very nice and quite a large choice.......nearly forget to mention, found all the staff helpful and pleasant.
We only played the Emerald course so can’t comment on the Sapphire. Course was not in great condition, admittedly there had been a lot of rain which made parts of the course extremely wet, including the greens plus many of the bunkers were full of water. In addition the very strong wind had blown billions (I do not exaggerate) of leaves onto the course. The myriad of which made finding your ball extremely problematic on some holes, even in the middle of the fairway! So many people looking for balls meant an extremely slow round, well over 4hrs for 14 holes on Sunday (gave up due to inclement weather) and about 5 hours on Monday for a full 18 holes.
The worse bit though was the price of drinks in the bar. 2 pints of lager and 2 large cokes came to well over £15 (we did get the 20% off which reduced it to approx. £12.50) which I thought was overpriced. Also poor value was the first course of our evening meal. The table d' hote menu was included in the package and off it one of us chose the fillet of mackerel starter. Mistake, it was shockingly small, about 2 inches square. You could easily have got 4 'portions out of one fillet. Mackerel is very cheap so no real need to be so parsimonious.
Although the negatives seem quite big overall we enjoyed our stay (just about got 4 out of 5) and may return, however if I do I will definitely not be drinking much (don't like feeling that I'm getting overcharged) and it would only be on a similar 'all in' package as the a la carte menu looked equally overpriced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire