“Good in parts”

GreenLeadersGold level
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Good in parts”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Booked with a 3rd party as a two day one night golfing break. Included in the price was 2 rounds of golf, dinner, bed & breakfast with a buggy for the first round and 20% off drinks at the bar!

Good bits:
Very nice large room. Nice and clean, comfortable beds with a couple of chairs, writing desk, trouser press and good sized TV. The golf pro was very helpful over the course of the 2 days, changing tee times etc. and despite the very poor weather we did enjoy the golf overall. The pool was nice, sauna hot and the steam room was …..steamy! All good so far, plus the breakfast was very nice and quite a large choice.......nearly forget to mention, found all the staff helpful and pleasant.

Bad Bits:
We only played the Emerald course so can’t comment on the Sapphire. Course was not in great condition, admittedly there had been a lot of rain which made parts of the course extremely wet, including the greens plus many of the bunkers were full of water. In addition the very strong wind had blown billions (I do not exaggerate) of leaves onto the course. The myriad of which made finding your ball extremely problematic on some holes, even in the middle of the fairway! So many people looking for balls meant an extremely slow round, well over 4hrs for 14 holes on Sunday (gave up due to inclement weather) and about 5 hours on Monday for a full 18 holes.
The worse bit though was the price of drinks in the bar. 2 pints of lager and 2 large cokes came to well over £15 (we did get the 20% off which reduced it to approx. £12.50) which I thought was overpriced. Also poor value was the first course of our evening meal. The table d' hote menu was included in the package and off it one of us chose the fillet of mackerel starter. Mistake, it was shockingly small, about 2 inches square. You could easily have got 4 'portions out of one fillet. Mackerel is very cheap so no real need to be so parsimonious.

Although the negatives seem quite big overall we enjoyed our stay (just about got 4 out of 5) and may return, however if I do I will definitely not be drinking much (don't like feeling that I'm getting overcharged) and it would only be on a similar 'all in' package as the a la carte menu looked equally overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golf break with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was pleased that on the whole you seemed to enjoy your stay with us and I was also delighted that you found the team helpful and responsive to your needs.

We are very proud of our golf courses here at Hill Valley and especially The Emerald which is our championship course. One of the features of both courses is that every fairway is lined with trees, as we have over 35,000 trees on the resort. Unfortunately the downside to this is that during an 8-10 week period during the autumn there is a considerable amount of falling leaves which my greens team try their utmost to clean up on a daily basis. As you can appreciate the task is extremely difficult and my green team commit a great deal of time to the cleaning up process as well as the day to day tasks that are to be completed to ensure the course is playable. I would urge you to come back early next spring when the course is at its best.

I was extremely disappointed to read your comments in relation to your evening meal and I would like to pass on my apologies for this. I have spoken at length with my executive chef to monitor the portion sizes at all times, because as you rightly pointed out this should not be happening.
I take your comments on board in relation the bar prices; however I have personally carried out a great deal of research into our pricing and we are very much in line with our competitor golf resorts. We also have an alternative sports bar on the ground floor which offers a discounted tariff, and I apologise if this was not explained to you.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley next year and get the chance to play our courses when they are at their best.

Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Hotel and restaraunt were good, however if your after some winter golf dont bother, 3hours 10 mins to complete the front 9 on the emerald course due to slow play, this was due to the course being virtually unplayable balls were lost on the fairway due to vanishing under the mud,it was like playing on a farmers field.
sapphire course was a disgrace bunkers were full of water, greens were waterlogged, any course worth its salt would of closed the course to protect it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was very disappointed to read your comments in relation to the golf courses here at the resort as the feedback we receive in relation to the courses is generally very positive.

I disagree with your comments about the courses being full of mud as I have played both courses myself recently and as much as I agree with you regarding the very wet conditions the fairways and semi-rough are very green and my green keeping team are still mowing these areas on a weekly basis. We do have a lot of leaves on the ground as we have over 35,000 trees throughout the resort and I can understand if some balls were lost under the foliage.

It is most unfortunate that we have endured very heavy rainfall over the last two weeks and there are very few courses that could sustain those volumes of water and not be wet underfoot and have water in the bunkers.

I will of course pass on your comments to the green keeping team as like me they are very passionate about the quality of our golf courses and welcome feedback from our guests.

Yours sincerely, Terence P Southward
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

had a good weekend way rooms very clean and staff very helpful
only thing is did not like how the beds was 2 singles pushed together and we was in a upgraded room we was on the ground floor with patio doors and free wine !!!
spa also was really good and a must to try it out

Room Tip: get ground floor rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have just returned from a group golfing weekend at hill valley golf and country club.
Firstly I would like to positively comment on the hotel.
Our group found the hotel to be of excellent quality, the staff being very attentive and helpful. The breakfast was excellent, room spotless and spa facilities were great. We would highly recommend the hotel to others.
Now to the negative aspects.
Unfortunately we were extremely disappointed with the condition of the golf courses. The main course, the Emerald, was extremely untidy, with the greens being extremely soft and uneven, it lacked any real definition with the sand bunkers being bereft of any sand. Due to the untidy nature of the course we spent ages looking for golf balls that were hit in the middle of the fairway!!! I realise that given the recent wet weather that perfection was never going to be the order of the day however we expected a course in reasonable condition, it was clearly not.
With regards to the Sapphire course where do I start?
Firstly it should have been shut !!!
The course was extremely wet, it was very,very untidy,balls were getting lost in the middle of the fairway whilst the greens were the worst I have ever played on !!!
We were so disappointed with the condition of the course that we only played 12 holes and decided to abandon the round and head for home, my putting stroke is bad enough without having to putt on what I loosely call greens.to be fair the layout is good however its condition lets it down big time.
We played the course as part of a package, had we paid a green fee we would have most certainly demanded a refund.
If you are considering a golfing break at this location this winter I would seriously think twice, yes the Golf packages that are on offer are certainly competitively priced however I would recommend that you consider other locations as you are likely to be extremely disappointed with the golf facilities.
This is very unfortunate as the hotel itself is fantastic.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was extremely disappointed to read your negative comments in relation both our golf courses. We have two wonderful courses here which we are very proud of and generally the feedback we receive is always very positive.

We have encountered some problems with our greens on the Sapphire course this summer which we are in the process of addressing. Unfortunately this process does take some time; however I have seen a marked improvement recently. With the torrid weather we have recently endured it is of course going to be extremely difficult to keep the courses dry, and had we closed the course as you suggested I am pretty certain we would have received complaints. I do know that my golf professional warned you that the course was extremely wet and offered to move you across to the Emerald Course which you declined.

One of the features of both courses is that every fairway is lined with trees, as we have over 35,000 trees on the resort. Unfortunately the downside to this is that during an 8-10 week period during the autumn there is a considerable amount of falling leaves which my greens team try their utmost to clean up on a daily basis. Our golf residential pricing reflects this over the period and I can assure you that the golf team will always try their utmost to ensure both courses are playable and to get golfers out onto the golf course.

I certainly do appreciate your feedback and I can understand your frustrations that the courses were very wet underfoot; however you must also appreciate that there is very little the hotel can do in terms of controlling the weather. I will however speak to my head green keeper and instruct him to commit some additional manpower to the cleaning up of the leaves over the next 3-4 weeks.

I would very much like you to return to Hill Valley again next year when the weather improves so that you can experience the courses in much better condition, so I would urge you to contact me directly on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk where I would be more than happy to consider favourable rates.

Once again many thanks for your much valued feedback.

Yours sincerely, Terence P Southward
ellesmere port wirral
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Just back from my 4th visit in a year to this hotel. I cannot fault it. Rooms are spotless, spacious & comfortable. Food is delicious and restaurant staff are superb. Especially Esther.
The spa is beautiful. Each time I come home feeling totally relaxed and chilled. There was a couple of hiccups this time with times and treatments but that didn't stop us having a fab time. They had stand in staff as all the regular staff were on training courses as they are changing from decleor products to Elemis. Our treatments were great.
One member of staff I must mention is Harry on reception. This young man is courteous, polite, helpful and very very good at his job. He really does give this hotel a good name. Im going to book again for after xmas. I love the place.

• Stayed October 2013
What a wonderful review! I would like to thank you for passing on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It was especially pleasing to read your comments in relation to the team here at the hotel, as I firmly believe that it is the people who work in a hotel that make the guest experience much more memorable.

I will of course pass on your feedback to the team and I look forward to seeing you again in the New Year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
lancs
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, 1st wk end in Oct. There was a group of us as we were all going to a Wedding, we were greeted by lovely Receptionists. Arrived early 11am and we could check in as the rooms were ready. The rooms were great very spacious and clean , towels were changed each day, could have done with a few more toiletries.
The swimming pool was good as was the sauna and steam room and helpful staff.
Found the snacks a bit pricey and didn't eat in in the evening, but breakfast was well worth it , there was everything you could ask for and staff again very pleasant.
All in all got a deal with Booking .com and was very satisfied, planning to go back next year with the same group.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I sincerely hope you can take full advantage of our wonderful spa facilities on your return visit next year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Herefordshire
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here for one night with our dog en route to West Wales. Reception were very friendly & professional and we were allocated a ground floor room with patio doors overlooking the course. It was large, light, quiet, modern & cosy with excellent en suite & toiletries. The TV was flat screen & easily viewed from the chairs and bed but we were able to access only the basic channels. Wifi was available & no problem.
In the evening we ate in the bar. There was a good standard bar food menu with mains eg fish & chips around the £15 mark. The food was high quality, hot & well presented. Service was cheerful and speedy. Breakfast in the restaurant was first class and the service professional. The large choice of fruits, cereal, pastries etc... was unusual for most hotels and the hot breakfasts again were generous in size, hot and well presented.
The location on a roundabout between Chester, Shrewsbury and Whitchurch is ideal for anyone wanting a stop off on a journey.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
I would like to thank you for your feedback following your recent experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
#5 of 6 in Oswestry

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!