“Lovely girlie getaway”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Three of us booked in for an indulgent spa break and, not knowing really what to expect as part of the deal, were pleasantly surprised by the value for money. The room and bathroom were a good size, spotlessly clean and with lovely views over the golf course. Reception staff were friendly and the spa was amazing. We each had 2 treatments and enjoyed relaxing in the pool and sauna. The food in the restaurant was nice and eating from a set menu was not a problem, although there could be more choice for vegetarians. Only slight negative was having to wait quite a while between courses at dinner, and very slow service at the bar. Breakfast staff too seemed a little disorganised - we had to wait a long time just to order our hot food. Overall, a lovely place to unwind and relax with friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thank you for passing on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was very pleased that on the whole you and your friends enjoyed your experience; however slightly disappointing that your stay was marred a little by the slow service at both breakfast and dinner. I have spoken with my restaurant manager and instructed him to make the necessary improvements with regards the speed of service in our restaurant. I sincerely hope you and your friends decide to return to Hill Valley again later in the year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my husband and 6 month old daughter, wish it had been longer! We booked via Avios so didn't cost us a penny. The receptionist's were very welcoming, just what we needed after a long drive. When we got to our room, it was massive, with everything we needed laid out. Our daughter's cot was made up next to our bed, with a lovely colourful baby quilt on it, she had her own towel over the end of her cot with a lovely little duck shaped bath wash on it. I loved the fact they even made the children feel spoilt. We started on Mothers Day, so decided to eat at the hotel's Borders Restaurant. I must admit, I was a bit nervous about taking a 6 month old into a 'posh' restaurant. I had nothing to worry about, the waiters were excellent with her. The food was lovely, I highly recommend the chilled chocolate fondant it was amazing...I nearly licked the plate!! I will be saving my Avios points for future stays at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It certainly appears that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us and I certainly hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again at some time in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Once again we have visited this lovely hotel and great golf course. The staff in every area of the hotel were most courteous and we were given a very warm welcome. We always feel extremely comfortable in the spacious bedrooms with great bathrooms and very comfy beds. The service both in the bar and restaurant was excellent and we had a very good dinner and mighty fine breakfast the next morning to set us up for the day! The golf was excellent and the courses are kept in very good condition. The proshop staff were extremely helpful and friendly too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your much valued feedback in relation to your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It was also extremely pleasing that you are returning guests and had such an enjoyable experience on your return. I would urge you to try and get back before the end of the summer when the course and the grounds are at their very best. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My partner surprised me with a spa weekend, not knowing where we were going' but from the moment we arrived knew it was going to be a good break. The staff were ever so welcoming, and the room was more than adequate. We decided to check out the bar and must say the staff were the most friendliest and attentive i have ever experienced. Evening meal was well organised and absolutely lovely food, yet again the staff were attentive and helpful even letting me change my potatoes from a set menu meal! One waiter definitely deserves a mention and that is Matt! doing a amazing job keeping diners happy and a lovely smile as well :). The spa treatments were included in our price for the stay getting four treatments between us, you cant really beat it for the price you pay. Already booking our next stay, Thank you Macdonalds.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for posting your feedback following your recent spa weekend here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted you and your partner had such a wonderful experience here and I look forward to welcoming you back for your next spa break later in the year. Kind regards, Terence P Soutward

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel has been recently refurbished so the rooms and all main areas are very well decorated, clean and fresh. Plenty of golf to be played with two courses to choose from, not sure how the greens were after all the bad weather we've had. We were a group of 10 girls celebrating our friends 50th. We are all similar ages so looking for a nice relaxing weekend, so we booked a Heavenly Bliss Spa Weekend which included, dinner B&B for 2 nights, 2 Spa treatments and use of the Spa facilities all weekend. The price was reasonable and overall we had a good stay. Couple of areas for improvement, many of us are wine drinkers the cheapest drinkable bottle of wine was £24 on a girls weekend it became pretty expensive. We had to choose from a set menu of 3 starters, mains and puds, which for me were OK but for vegetarians, it was limited, the mains seemed be be pasta, meat, fish, you could order from the al la carte menu but that was extra. The treatments were good but restricted in the deal, the bar and restaurant areas lacked some atmosphere. Hot stone massage was fab on the Saturday but the relaxation room was so busy afterwards there was nowhere to sit, so that was disappointing. Overall, nice hotel, location, wine expensive, and treatment bookings were a little confused and very busy. Would go again. Good location for Chester and surrounding areas, 30 mins to the outlet store and Chester zoo.

Room Tip: Generally all rooms have a good view due to the location of the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your valuable feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was very pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us; however I have taken your negative feedback on board and discussed this with my management team.

I do feel that your points relating to the lack of vegetarian options are very valid and we are at present reviewing our menu’s and changes are planned with our vegetarian dishes.

We do have a very high quality house wine available at £18.95, so the comments in relation to the price of our wine was somewhat surprising.

Following the recent investment in our spa facility we are getting incredibly busy especially over the weekend, and I am pleased to tell you that there are plans to invest again in Hill Valley with the introduction of a thermal suite which will enhance our spa and leisure product and also offer more options for our spa visitors.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you back at Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night as a special birthday treat. We booked through Wahanda using Tesco vouchers, so it cost us very little. The package included two spa treatments per person, but my husband arranged for me to have all four. We arrived just before check-in at 2:30pm. The receptionist was very polite and friendly and our room was ready for us. We'd booked a standard double - it was clean and large with an enormous bed. My treatments were booked for 3pm so I made my way to the spa. The treatments were fabulous (thank you Abby :-)), after two hours I felt totally relaxed.
The spa is clean and as you would expect from a four star - no complaints, the staff were friendly, polite and competent, a minor query was dealt with quickly.
We had booked dinner in the hotel, we had a £50 allowance and ate from the a la carte menu. The bread, oil, olives etc and starters were lovely and my husband really enjoyed the lamb. I had chicken breast and although it was cooked very well, I found that it could have benefitted from a bit more seasoning - a very minor issue and not one which took anything away from the experience! The service was excellent, the wine and food very good.
When we had both showered before dinner, we had difficultly turning the shower off and it continued to flow noisily. We reported this to the reception staff who resolved the issue immediately by moving us to an adjacent room because there was no maintenance services on a Sunday evening. We did have the same problem with the new shower the following day......so maybe it was something we did?!
Breakfast again was excellent - no complaints.
As with all reviews, you can only comment on your own experience - we enjoyed our stay and found the staff friendly and polite and the hotel and spa of a good standard - as you would expect from an international chain.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily V

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful, relaxing break with us and your feedback in relation to the team are very much appreciated. I have instructed my maintenance manager to investigate the problem with the showers directly after I received the feedback. I sincerely hope you deicide to return to Hill Valley again later in the year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I've been on golf trips to this resort for twenty years. I've seen the fall of the Minshall era and the rise of the new hotel complex,literally I saw the footings in place one year.
The course has alway been brilliant and the service second to none.
Not this year
Pool out of order Friday
Warm beer in the bar
No glasses to serve the warm beer
Herded around like second class citizens.

If a member of my staff had behaved towards a member of he public like the duty manager on the Friday I would have placed them in performance management.
How can you close the front of house down in an hotel ?
A complete shambles I'm afraid.
In fairness the young staff were trying their best but the wasn't enough of them.
The evening meal was adequate the wine list extortionate.
Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying corkage when I have decent service.
This was lacking I'm afraid.
The golf course has had a tough winter and it showed but hey ho we played on.
Such a Pity hill valley
You can do better.
You used to be a golf course with a hotel.
Now your an average hotel which happens to have a golf course.
Do me a favour McDonald's sell it to De Verre.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I have recently written to the secretary of your golf club with a personal apology for the shortfalls in service you and your group encountered during your last visit here to Hill Valley. You quite rightly pointed out some service issues and we admit we got it wrong on more than one occasion during your stay with us.

I would question your comment about being herded around like second class citizens however and I would like to speak to you with regards your comment about my duty manager. If a member of management team has behaved inappropriately I would very much like to know the detail surrounding this. Please feel free to contact me on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We did not close down the front of the house during your visit. There was a private event taking place in the main function suite and all our other guests were asked to use our alternative bar on the ground floor. I am conscious that a member of the team shut that bar for some unknown reason; however this was for a period of 10-15 minutes and as soon as I was made aware of this I ensured that it was open for the rest of the evening. I am also aware of the shortfalls in service you encountered in this bar and I offer my sincere apologies for this. A compensatory offer has been discussed with your club secretary.

Once again many thanks for your feedback, it is very much appreciated and I sincerely hope that your experience on this occasion will not deter you from using the facilities here at the hotel again in the future.

Yours sincerely, Terence P Southward

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Hawkstone Park Hotel
Hawkstone Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston-under-Redcastle

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!