“Birthday Spa Treat”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I booked this hotel for myself and 2 of my friends as this year we have all turned 30. It was a great gift to each other, to get away from our demanding lifestyles and to be pampered like princesses. We booked the indulgence break which was a fantastic package DBB with access to the spa and 2 treatments.

We arrived early to a very warm welcome and was advised our rooms were not ready. This wasn't a problem as I explained that we only needed to put our bags in the room and we could come back later. The receptionist was very accommodating so we left our luggage and headed to the spa. The staff in the spa were also helpful they gave us a guided tour and confirmed all our booked treatments and it was such a lovely start to our trip.

Dinner was lovely there was a great atmosphere and the staff were very attentive. Breakfast service was also the same but I did feel a little disappointed with the size and quality of the breakfast. I have stayed in other Macdonald hotels and it wasn't to the same standard. I wanted a hearty Scottish breakfast and most of it was swimming in grease.

Apart from one minor hiccup which could be changed I would stay here again and recommend to others.

Well done Hill Valley

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted you had such a relaxing stay with us and that you enjoyed your treatments. I was very concerned to read your feedback in relation to your breakfast experience as this is an area of the business Macdonald Hotels are extremely passionate about. I have discussed your feedback with my executive chef and instructed him to carry out some further training with our breakfast team. It was pleasing that despite this it will not deter you from returning to Hill Valley. Once again many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Three of us booked in for an indulgent spa break and, not knowing really what to expect as part of the deal, were pleasantly surprised by the value for money. The room and bathroom were a good size, spotlessly clean and with lovely views over the golf course. Reception staff were friendly and the spa was amazing. We each had 2 treatments and enjoyed relaxing in the pool and sauna. The food in the restaurant was nice and eating from a set menu was not a problem, although there could be more choice for vegetarians. Only slight negative was having to wait quite a while between courses at dinner, and very slow service at the bar. Breakfast staff too seemed a little disorganised - we had to wait a long time just to order our hot food. Overall, a lovely place to unwind and relax with friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for passing on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was very pleased that on the whole you and your friends enjoyed your experience; however slightly disappointing that your stay was marred a little by the slow service at both breakfast and dinner. I have spoken with my restaurant manager and instructed him to make the necessary improvements with regards the speed of service in our restaurant. I sincerely hope you and your friends decide to return to Hill Valley again later in the year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my husband and 6 month old daughter, wish it had been longer! We booked via Avios so didn't cost us a penny. The receptionist's were very welcoming, just what we needed after a long drive. When we got to our room, it was massive, with everything we needed laid out. Our daughter's cot was made up next to our bed, with a lovely colourful baby quilt on it, she had her own towel over the end of her cot with a lovely little duck shaped bath wash on it. I loved the fact they even made the children feel spoilt. We started on Mothers Day, so decided to eat at the hotel's Borders Restaurant. I must admit, I was a bit nervous about taking a 6 month old into a 'posh' restaurant. I had nothing to worry about, the waiters were excellent with her. The food was lovely, I highly recommend the chilled chocolate fondant it was amazing...I nearly licked the plate!! I will be saving my Avios points for future stays at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It certainly appears that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us and I certainly hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again at some time in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Once again we have visited this lovely hotel and great golf course. The staff in every area of the hotel were most courteous and we were given a very warm welcome. We always feel extremely comfortable in the spacious bedrooms with great bathrooms and very comfy beds. The service both in the bar and restaurant was excellent and we had a very good dinner and mighty fine breakfast the next morning to set us up for the day! The golf was excellent and the courses are kept in very good condition. The proshop staff were extremely helpful and friendly too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your much valued feedback in relation to your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It was also extremely pleasing that you are returning guests and had such an enjoyable experience on your return. I would urge you to try and get back before the end of the summer when the course and the grounds are at their very best. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My partner surprised me with a spa weekend, not knowing where we were going' but from the moment we arrived knew it was going to be a good break. The staff were ever so welcoming, and the room was more than adequate. We decided to check out the bar and must say the staff were the most friendliest and attentive i have ever experienced. Evening meal was well organised and absolutely lovely food, yet again the staff were attentive and helpful even letting me change my potatoes from a set menu meal! One waiter definitely deserves a mention and that is Matt! doing a amazing job keeping diners happy and a lovely smile as well :). The spa treatments were included in our price for the stay getting four treatments between us, you cant really beat it for the price you pay. Already booking our next stay, Thank you Macdonalds.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for posting your feedback following your recent spa weekend here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted you and your partner had such a wonderful experience here and I look forward to welcoming you back for your next spa break later in the year. Kind regards, Terence P Soutward

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel has been recently refurbished so the rooms and all main areas are very well decorated, clean and fresh. Plenty of golf to be played with two courses to choose from, not sure how the greens were after all the bad weather we've had. We were a group of 10 girls celebrating our friends 50th. We are all similar ages so looking for a nice relaxing weekend, so we booked a Heavenly Bliss Spa Weekend which included, dinner B&B for 2 nights, 2 Spa treatments and use of the Spa facilities all weekend. The price was reasonable and overall we had a good stay. Couple of areas for improvement, many of us are wine drinkers the cheapest drinkable bottle of wine was £24 on a girls weekend it became pretty expensive. We had to choose from a set menu of 3 starters, mains and puds, which for me were OK but for vegetarians, it was limited, the mains seemed be be pasta, meat, fish, you could order from the al la carte menu but that was extra. The treatments were good but restricted in the deal, the bar and restaurant areas lacked some atmosphere. Hot stone massage was fab on the Saturday but the relaxation room was so busy afterwards there was nowhere to sit, so that was disappointing. Overall, nice hotel, location, wine expensive, and treatment bookings were a little confused and very busy. Would go again. Good location for Chester and surrounding areas, 30 mins to the outlet store and Chester zoo.

Room Tip: Generally all rooms have a good view due to the location of the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your valuable feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was very pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us; however I have taken your negative feedback on board and discussed this with my management team.

I do feel that your points relating to the lack of vegetarian options are very valid and we are at present reviewing our menu’s and changes are planned with our vegetarian dishes.

We do have a very high quality house wine available at £18.95, so the comments in relation to the price of our wine was somewhat surprising.

Following the recent investment in our spa facility we are getting incredibly busy especially over the weekend, and I am pleased to tell you that there are plans to invest again in Hill Valley with the introduction of a thermal suite which will enhance our spa and leisure product and also offer more options for our spa visitors.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you back at Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night as a special birthday treat. We booked through Wahanda using Tesco vouchers, so it cost us very little. The package included two spa treatments per person, but my husband arranged for me to have all four. We arrived just before check-in at 2:30pm. The receptionist was very polite and friendly and our room was ready for us. We'd booked a standard double - it was clean and large with an enormous bed. My treatments were booked for 3pm so I made my way to the spa. The treatments were fabulous (thank you Abby :-)), after two hours I felt totally relaxed.
The spa is clean and as you would expect from a four star - no complaints, the staff were friendly, polite and competent, a minor query was dealt with quickly.
We had booked dinner in the hotel, we had a £50 allowance and ate from the a la carte menu. The bread, oil, olives etc and starters were lovely and my husband really enjoyed the lamb. I had chicken breast and although it was cooked very well, I found that it could have benefitted from a bit more seasoning - a very minor issue and not one which took anything away from the experience! The service was excellent, the wine and food very good.
When we had both showered before dinner, we had difficultly turning the shower off and it continued to flow noisily. We reported this to the reception staff who resolved the issue immediately by moving us to an adjacent room because there was no maintenance services on a Sunday evening. We did have the same problem with the new shower the following day......so maybe it was something we did?!
Breakfast again was excellent - no complaints.
As with all reviews, you can only comment on your own experience - we enjoyed our stay and found the staff friendly and polite and the hotel and spa of a good standard - as you would expect from an international chain.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily V

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful, relaxing break with us and your feedback in relation to the team are very much appreciated. I have instructed my maintenance manager to investigate the problem with the showers directly after I received the feedback. I sincerely hope you deicide to return to Hill Valley again later in the year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!