The hotel has a long drive through beautiful grounds and the hotel itself looks very well maintained. Outside reception is a large car park. Reception is a large, very pleasant space and we were quickly checked in. At reception I noticed shortcake biscuits and apples for guests, which was a nice touch. To access the standard rooms you are directed through a covered walkway (which has wonderful views across the grounds) to the main block where the standard rooms are. Our room was on the 2nd floor which can be accessed via either stairs or lift.
Although I have stayed in many 4* hotel rooms I have to say I was very impressed with the size and standard of this room and its furnishings. The room was big enough to allow for two wing chairs and a coffee table as well as the normal desk/dressing table. The window has a Juliette balcony and patio-type doors which look out onto the grounds of the hotel - rooms on the other side of the block look like they have a view of the golf course. A bottle of water was provided in the room in a very nice Macdonalds branded glass bottle. In the large fitted wardrobe there was an iron and ironing board, and a safe. Alongside was a trouser press. Also provided was a large TV and in the cupboard underneath the TV was a small fridge (mini-bar contents could be provided on request) and coffee/tea making facilities (cartons of milk provided but fresh milk was brought to the room on request). Free wifi was available throughout the hotel via The Cloud.
The en-suite was large and included a proper shower enclosure. Toiletries provided included soap, shower gel, and conditioning shampoo.
We did not eat at the hotel during this stay because we were out and about for most of each day but we did look at the menus which looked very good, and I have little doubt that if we had eaten there the food would have been very good. We would normally expect a hotel of this standard to offer high quality food, and the menus we saw indicate that this is the case here, so we weren't surprised that prices reflected that. I bet the food is wonderful, hope to sample some on our next visit!
Decoration and furnishing of the public rooms was very nice indeed, and everywhere we went in the hotel was spotlessly clean. Reception staff were all very helpful and attentive, and all our requests were handled quickly and efficiently. The hotel boasts a lovely patio area where you can relax and enjoy a coffee/tea or two with some delicious hotel-made shortcake, and watch the golfers on the golf course which surrounds the hotel. The hotel also has spa facilities but we weren’t able to take advantage of them on this visit.
There is only one area where we think the hotel could improve their product, and that is that the room was quite hot in some very pleasant warm June weather during our visit, and there is no air conditioning. I imagine that a fan could be provided if necessary but in a room that size a fan is not likely to be very effective. In addition the quilt on the bed felt like a fairly heavy one, and it may be that some guests would appreciate a lighter quilt in the summer months if available - to be fair we didn't ask if lighter quilts were available, so it may be that they can be provided. We did speak to reception staff about air conditioning before we checked out, and were told that air conditioning was being considered for the future, so hopefully this will eventually provide guests with a bit of additional comfort during the summer months.
Overall we were very impressed with the whole package this hotel provides. It was one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in, with almost no noise being audible from other guests in neighbouring rooms, and no noise from outside during the night. There was a refined, laid-back atmosphere and we took full advantage of the opportunity to “chill out” during our stay. The room rate we got on this occasion was comparable with much lower standard hotels so it is very good value as far as the accommodation goes; obviously food/drink prices need to be factored in if eating/drinking in the hotel but even then I think the whole package is worth the extra when compared to cheaper hotel packages. We will definitely return to this hotel in the future at the first opportunity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, getaroom.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick and Ebookers so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire