“Gem of a Hotel at Whitchurch”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel has a long drive through beautiful grounds and the hotel itself looks very well maintained. Outside reception is a large car park. Reception is a large, very pleasant space and we were quickly checked in. At reception I noticed shortcake biscuits and apples for guests, which was a nice touch. To access the standard rooms you are directed through a covered walkway (which has wonderful views across the grounds) to the main block where the standard rooms are. Our room was on the 2nd floor which can be accessed via either stairs or lift.
Although I have stayed in many 4* hotel rooms I have to say I was very impressed with the size and standard of this room and its furnishings. The room was big enough to allow for two wing chairs and a coffee table as well as the normal desk/dressing table. The window has a Juliette balcony and patio-type doors which look out onto the grounds of the hotel - rooms on the other side of the block look like they have a view of the golf course. A bottle of water was provided in the room in a very nice Macdonalds branded glass bottle. In the large fitted wardrobe there was an iron and ironing board, and a safe. Alongside was a trouser press. Also provided was a large TV and in the cupboard underneath the TV was a small fridge (mini-bar contents could be provided on request) and coffee/tea making facilities (cartons of milk provided but fresh milk was brought to the room on request). Free wifi was available throughout the hotel via The Cloud.
The en-suite was large and included a proper shower enclosure. Toiletries provided included soap, shower gel, and conditioning shampoo.
We did not eat at the hotel during this stay because we were out and about for most of each day but we did look at the menus which looked very good, and I have little doubt that if we had eaten there the food would have been very good. We would normally expect a hotel of this standard to offer high quality food, and the menus we saw indicate that this is the case here, so we weren't surprised that prices reflected that. I bet the food is wonderful, hope to sample some on our next visit!
Decoration and furnishing of the public rooms was very nice indeed, and everywhere we went in the hotel was spotlessly clean. Reception staff were all very helpful and attentive, and all our requests were handled quickly and efficiently. The hotel boasts a lovely patio area where you can relax and enjoy a coffee/tea or two with some delicious hotel-made shortcake, and watch the golfers on the golf course which surrounds the hotel. The hotel also has spa facilities but we weren’t able to take advantage of them on this visit.
There is only one area where we think the hotel could improve their product, and that is that the room was quite hot in some very pleasant warm June weather during our visit, and there is no air conditioning. I imagine that a fan could be provided if necessary but in a room that size a fan is not likely to be very effective. In addition the quilt on the bed felt like a fairly heavy one, and it may be that some guests would appreciate a lighter quilt in the summer months if available - to be fair we didn't ask if lighter quilts were available, so it may be that they can be provided. We did speak to reception staff about air conditioning before we checked out, and were told that air conditioning was being considered for the future, so hopefully this will eventually provide guests with a bit of additional comfort during the summer months.
Overall we were very impressed with the whole package this hotel provides. It was one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in, with almost no noise being audible from other guests in neighbouring rooms, and no noise from outside during the night. There was a refined, laid-back atmosphere and we took full advantage of the opportunity to “chill out” during our stay. The room rate we got on this occasion was comparable with much lower standard hotels so it is very good value as far as the accommodation goes; obviously food/drink prices need to be factored in if eating/drinking in the hotel but even then I think the whole package is worth the extra when compared to cheaper hotel packages. We will definitely return to this hotel in the future at the first opportunity.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the golf course, worth checking room rates for these rooms if you would li...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear TravellerNorfolk_UK

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such lovely comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I am delighted that you had such a nice time. I have taken on board your comments regarding the air conditioning and the bedroom quilts and it will be on the agenda at our next meeting, thank you for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and I'd be delighted to make all those arrangements for you, please contact me on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards

Marc Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (1,472)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed one night 13/6/14.
It was a fabulous hotel.
Lovely staff, lovely meals including breakfast.
Room Service prompt.
Wish we had stayed 2 nights!
Would definately stay again.
Marked down on room purely as we thought it was due a refurb due to stained carpet.
Otherwise, we were very happy.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Riaburke

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, we are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us - albiet for only one night!

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed for one night as we were in the area for the Cholmondley Pageant of Power a few miles away. Perfectly situated just off a roundabout on the A49 it was easy to find and the long drive from the road showed off the golf course very well. When we checked in, Harry on reception was very friendly and helpful and the plate of hotel made shortcake on reception was a lovely touch. Our room was lovely, very spacious with french windows and Juliet balcony as all rooms had. There was even a tea pot in the room. We had wraps in the bar which weren't that cheap but were extremely tasty and filling and we enjoyed them sat watching the golf. We don't play golf but this experience made us think that maybe we should.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms have views of the golf course.

Dear Fazug

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed not only your stay with us but also the Pageant of Power, we had many visitors over the weekend that attended the Pageant and the feedback from all has been fantastic.

I've passed your kind words over to Harry, it's very rewarding to read such comments.

We hope to welcome you back next year (if not sooner) and maybe we'll be able to temp you into that game of golf!

Many thanks,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Staff were friendly and informative on places to visit.
Food was well prepared and tasty. (we had breakfast & evening meal)
Rooms were of a good size with onsuit facilities
Prices through a discount worked out very reasonable (we stopped 5 nights)
Overall a good experience for both of us, although neither of us played golf or on this occasion used the spa.
I would recommend this hotel as a get away to relax and do your own thing.
Richard & Denise Boyes

Dear Mr Boyes

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit, we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This review comes with a massive warning. DO NOT go and drink in the bar without first checking EXACTLY how much you will have to pay for the drinks.

We were lulled into a false sense of security when our first round was ONLY!! around £50.00 for a beer and white wine spritzer round for 9 people. The second round had one more spritzer and one less beer and was £79.00!!!! the bar staff opted to use the most expensive white on the menu for the second round of spritzers which were nearly £15.00 EACH.

On checking out the following day we were promised that we would be contacted by the food and beverage department to discuss the extortionate charge. We have waited nearly 4 weeks and still there has been no contact.

All other aspects of the visit were fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Moira

Dear Moira J

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I am very sorry that you found our bar prices to be expensive, we offer a substantial drinks menu that has been carefully selected to offer both great choice and great value.

My bar team would never undercharge a first round of drinks to lull you into a false sense of security, I am very sorry you felt this way. I have investigated your points raised with my team and I have carried out training sessions to ensure bar staff are fully trained in all aspects of drink service.

Thank you once again for bringing these issues to my attention and I do hope they won't deter you from a return visit sometime in the future. Please contact me directly on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk where I shall be happy to make all the arrangements for you.

Kind regards, Marc Smith.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Just back from a weekend golf break at Hill Valley. It's a nice hotel, the rooms are excellent, the staff friendly and helpful. I can't comment on the Spa as I didn't use it.
The Golf was good but the shorter course very hilly.
The food was good and my only issue was the cost of food and drink was very expensive. A large glass of wine £14.00! with 20% discount!! Be warned.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear David P

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I'm pleased that by all accounts, you had a fantastic stay with us. I'm slightly puzzled by your comments regarding the wine prices - we offer a quality selection of wines that range in price from £4.95 to £11.50 per glass, we certainly do not have a wine on our list that is priced at £14.00 with or without discount!

I'm really sorry for the confusion and error here and I do hope it won't put you off a return stay. Should you wish me to look further into this, please contact me direct at gm.hillvalley@macdonal-hotels.co.uk where I will be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Many thanks, Marc Smith.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Spa day spoilt by incompetent staff and lack of working facilities. Pool was cold , sauna and steam rooms were not working, which is a recurring thing when speaking to the regular members, really wasn't a pleasant spa experience as suggested in the brochure.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank John A
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear John A

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent Spa Day at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. At the outset would you please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing visit.

We have been experiencing some difficulties with the Sauna and Steam Room but I'm pleased to report that these problems are now fixed and next time you visit I guarantee that you will have a memorable experience - for all the right reasons.

On that note, should you choose to visit us again, please contact me direct at gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk where I shall make all the arrangements for you.

Once again, my apologies, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards, Marc Smith.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Park Inn by Radisson Telford
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!