“Great weekend break”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sheffield
“Great weekend break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just returned from a weekend golf trip to hill valley and I have to say our golf society found it an excellent venue and unbeatable vfm. Rooms were spacious, modern and clean. Food was excellent. The main course was a great challenge, with great features and in top condition. The shorter course whilst not as impressive does offer a different challenge and was equally enjoyable. The golf staff were very helpful throughout the stay. All in all very enjoyable and definitely go again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Millwardo
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Millwardo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent golf society visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

We are very pleased that you found all aspects of your stay enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Marc Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Neath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Comfortable accommodation friendly helpful staff. Beautiful golf courses with a tricky par four eighteenth on one. Bar prices at high end of scale but good venue for large groups .i would give the restaurant an average to good . I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Most rooms had views of the golf course. Ground floor have French doors and seating area.Book a delu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear docrhid

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and our friendly, helpful staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our second visit to Hill Valley on our now annual golf trip, as usual we played the short Sapphire course first, on completion we checked in to the hotel.
We were greeted with the warmest of welcomes from the reception staff special thanks to Michelle, Nikki and Christine for their patience and excellent customer service.

The food was excellent as usual, everyone in our group complemented the quality of cuisine and the restaurant staff, again special thanks to Steph who attended to our table for the evening meal and the breakfast staff Debbie and the senior server Bernard, very professional and informative especially about the famous black pudding from the isle of Stornoway. which was excellent.

Bar staff Annalisa and a special thanks to Ian for looking after us in the Masters bar, thanks for going that extra mile to make sure we were looked after on Sunday night watching Bubba win his second Masters.

Finally not forgetting the Pro shop staff Matt and Andrew for their exceptional service although we were only a small group of 12.

I can only thank you for your exceptional staff for their professionalism and whatever your training program is do not change it,

See you next April.

The Clarke Party

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank global-golfer
Dear global-golfer

Thank you for posting such wonderful comments following your second visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel - we're delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I has personnally spoken to the staff you have highlighted in your review, it is incredibly rewarding for them to have this feedback, it goes to show that their hard work, dedication and passion for what they do is appreciated - thank you very much.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit, if I can be of any assitance in arranging this for you, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me at gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Have just had a 2 day stay and play golf trip here paying £105 for dinner B&B and 2 rounds of golf. On arrival all 24 of our party decided to order breakfast sandwiches in The Masters bar which seemed to cause the rather stressed male staff member no end of problems. People were left waiting ages for orders which,when they did arrive were wrong and stone cold and so sent back. The kitchen ended up making a load more than they would otherwise have had to if the staff had any idea of what they were doing or talked to one another. After the breakfast debacle it was onto the Emerald course which is a good and tough test. It was in pretty good nic but the greens had a patchy look about them though they ran OK. Following the golf it was back to the Basil Fawlty inspired Masters bar. We were booked in for dinner at 8 and so being that we had 3 hours to wait my room mate and I attempted to purchase a bag of nuts or crisps. "We don't sell them" came the reply. Having got over the shock of them missing an opportunity to fleece us I asked where we might obtain such rarities. " in the pro shop". We tottled off to the pro shop, poor gullible fools that we are only to be informed that they hadn't stocked them for 20 years. Well we decided to drown our sorrows and maybe try a different bar. Our party had negotiated a 20% discount and we stupidly assumed that would be throughout the resort. Wrong. It was only the Masters bar. They must have stuck 30% on the prices to accommodate the discount judging by the prices. We went to our rooms which in fairness I could not fault. Clean, well furnished with a great shower. We then returned for dinner where my room mate and I decided to push the boat out and buy a bottle of house red. We went to the masters bar where the poor young bar man tried to scan it through the till only to find it was not on the tills memory. We hung around for a further 5 minutes while a more senior staff member was summoned. We eventually persuaded them to part with it for 4 times the price you would have grudged in Asda. Dinner was nice considering the amount of parties being catered for and all went smoothly. The next day we played the sapphire course which had some nice holes but felt a bit pitch and put in places. All in all I would say this resort needs to get its staff training in order. If you have the time escape the poor service and rip off prices via the rear car park and head into Whitchurch. Failing that go to Carden Park or Portal. They will still rip you off but at least they know what they're doing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear andy_sealpup

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. At the outset, would you please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment regarding poor service.

I have discussed your comments with my heads of department and we have added your points into our training action plans so that they are adressed, thank you for bringing them to our attention and for allowing us to action them.

I hope you get the opportunity to stay with us again, I'm confident you will see the improvements we are making.

cheshire, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Had a great afternoon tea spa day today, everything was lovely, the staff in the spa were very efficient and friendly. Would recommend this hotel for a girls spa day we loved it, had a relaxing time and will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear penny73

Thank you for posting your kind comments following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I am very pleased to read that you had a lovely time and that the staff were very efficient and friendly.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

On our arrival to the hotel, reception staff seemed friendly and signed us in and pointed us to our room. We were asked to pay for the stay now, but the email I was sent said payment would be taken on departure.
No staff during the entire visit seemed to have any understanding of the package we booked, thank god I had printed the email out. Not the stress-free weekend we had envisaged.
The hallway in our section of the hotel stank, apparently they had a leak the previous night - failed to tell us or do something to make us more comfortable as you could smell it in the room - bearing in mind the amount of money we spend on just one night and one day.
Also the shower stank too, by this point we just told staff on the way out.
Loud music was thumping until about 12:30am, we reported this to staff and were told staff would visit us to work out where it was coming from. No staff turned up!
This really stressed me out as I have enough of loud music by neighbours at home. Like I said, we wanted a relaxing weekend - we definitely didn't get that!
We had a spa day as part of our package, that was mostly ok. Staff didn't seem to understand we hadn't done it before and rushed instructions which were not clearly explained. We still had to tell them what we had booked and the details of it! It was also way too hot downstairs in the relaxing room, so we didn't go in there unless we had to (10 minutes before treatment). Things did not run smoothly and weren't as described.
The Borders restaurant was a bit of a joke. When we arrived we were shown to our table and then left for about 25 minutes, whilst other people came in and were offered bottles of water. We finally placed an order for drinks, and food. The drinks took a further 10 minutes to arrive. We both had steak which was very fatty for the price you charge, not very good quality.
Many people were complaining about the slow service. We asked for the bill to pay for our drinks, and another 10 minutes went by before we were given that. We promptly went elsewhere for our desert.
This was NOT a relaxing stay like we wanted, it's our first experience of a more upmarket hotel and spa, believe me, we will be returning to our faithful Premier Inn. They are more pleasant and have a GOOD NIGHT GUARANTEE. Heck of a lot cheaper too.
Very unhappy customers!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gemma R
Dear Gemma R

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. At the outset, would you please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings experienced during your stay.

I am very sorry that your hotel stay proved to be a disappointment. I have discussed your comments with my team and we have addressed the issues raised so that they are not repeated, thank you for allowing us to do this.

I would like a chance to discuss your stay with you, if you would be so kind to contact me on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards

Norfolk, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel has a long drive through beautiful grounds and the hotel itself looks very well maintained. Outside reception is a large car park. Reception is a large, very pleasant space and we were quickly checked in. At reception I noticed shortcake biscuits and apples for guests, which was a nice touch. To access the standard rooms you are directed through a covered walkway (which has wonderful views across the grounds) to the main block where the standard rooms are. Our room was on the 2nd floor which can be accessed via either stairs or lift.
Although I have stayed in many 4* hotel rooms I have to say I was very impressed with the size and standard of this room and its furnishings. The room was big enough to allow for two wing chairs and a coffee table as well as the normal desk/dressing table. The window has a Juliette balcony and patio-type doors which look out onto the grounds of the hotel - rooms on the other side of the block look like they have a view of the golf course. A bottle of water was provided in the room in a very nice Macdonalds branded glass bottle. In the large fitted wardrobe there was an iron and ironing board, and a safe. Alongside was a trouser press. Also provided was a large TV and in the cupboard underneath the TV was a small fridge (mini-bar contents could be provided on request) and coffee/tea making facilities (cartons of milk provided but fresh milk was brought to the room on request). Free wifi was available throughout the hotel via The Cloud.
The en-suite was large and included a proper shower enclosure. Toiletries provided included soap, shower gel, and conditioning shampoo.
We did not eat at the hotel during this stay because we were out and about for most of each day but we did look at the menus which looked very good, and I have little doubt that if we had eaten there the food would have been very good. We would normally expect a hotel of this standard to offer high quality food, and the menus we saw indicate that this is the case here, so we weren't surprised that prices reflected that. I bet the food is wonderful, hope to sample some on our next visit!
Decoration and furnishing of the public rooms was very nice indeed, and everywhere we went in the hotel was spotlessly clean. Reception staff were all very helpful and attentive, and all our requests were handled quickly and efficiently. The hotel boasts a lovely patio area where you can relax and enjoy a coffee/tea or two with some delicious hotel-made shortcake, and watch the golfers on the golf course which surrounds the hotel. The hotel also has spa facilities but we weren’t able to take advantage of them on this visit.
There is only one area where we think the hotel could improve their product, and that is that the room was quite hot in some very pleasant warm June weather during our visit, and there is no air conditioning. I imagine that a fan could be provided if necessary but in a room that size a fan is not likely to be very effective. In addition the quilt on the bed felt like a fairly heavy one, and it may be that some guests would appreciate a lighter quilt in the summer months if available - to be fair we didn't ask if lighter quilts were available, so it may be that they can be provided. We did speak to reception staff about air conditioning before we checked out, and were told that air conditioning was being considered for the future, so hopefully this will eventually provide guests with a bit of additional comfort during the summer months.
Overall we were very impressed with the whole package this hotel provides. It was one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in, with almost no noise being audible from other guests in neighbouring rooms, and no noise from outside during the night. There was a refined, laid-back atmosphere and we took full advantage of the opportunity to “chill out” during our stay. The room rate we got on this occasion was comparable with much lower standard hotels so it is very good value as far as the accommodation goes; obviously food/drink prices need to be factored in if eating/drinking in the hotel but even then I think the whole package is worth the extra when compared to cheaper hotel packages. We will definitely return to this hotel in the future at the first opportunity.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the golf course, worth checking room rates for these rooms if you would li...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TravellerNorfolk_UK

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such lovely comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I am delighted that you had such a nice time. I have taken on board your comments regarding the air conditioning and the bedroom quilts and it will be on the agenda at our next meeting, thank you for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and I'd be delighted to make all those arrangements for you, please contact me on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards

Marc Smith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
#5 of 6 in Oswestry

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!