“Relaxing Weekend”

GreenLeadersGold level
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Weekend”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here weekend of 12th July with my partner for a relaxing break for two nights, including a spa treatment for us both.
Meal and breakfast's on both evenings/mornings was great, only negative would be that on the Friday it felt as though our food was rushed out as barely a few minutes between courses.. and on the second I asked for a medium Rib eye and it was quite well done to the point of it being ever so slightly burnt at the sides. Not really too much of a big a deal- but still, disappointing.
Service was faultless however, such lovely friendly faces! On the second night, whilst waiting n the bar area for our table we frequently had one waitress walking back and forth past us moaning about other customers to another waiter! I think it was during a wedding that was happening that evening, bad bad idea!!

Our spa treatments we amazing I had Charley for an Ocean top to toe radiance, who completely put me at ease as this was my very first spa treatment and was a little apprehensive. Got to say, coming out I felt on cloud nine- as did my partner! Unfortunately, I do have a slightly negative thing to say regarding the helpfulness of the staff at the spa reception- we 'signed in' and made it clear we had never done this sort of thing before.. and it actually felt like we were just being left to it!! We were given a locker key, and were a bit confused why other guests were coming out with robes and towels ect when there was nothing given to us- only when I went back out and asked a gentleman more interested in his phone gave us some which were already in a packet- so I did feel a little cheated on this front as by now other spa guests were coming out of the changing rooms with theirs on and I felt like a second rate guest. Secondly, when I finally did get my robe and went to get changed ready for my treatment, I went back out to reception with my partner expecting someone to direct us to where we were meant to be going as we had saw another girl doing the same for a couple before us.. NOTHING. We were left, (uniformed) and by this point a little embarrassed and annoyed that were were being treated a little differently to others, to roam to hotel to find some sort of room for a treatment- this went on for 10 minutes before I finally found the right door after following another friendly guest, after all the kerfuffle and aggravation I was so glad I enjoyed the actual treatment and the pool afterwards!
In all honesty, and especially on my part, I feel as though we were overlooked and not given the full service from the staff there as on many occasions I saw other guests being shown around beforehand and told where to go ect when all we received was a bill to be paid at the desk! It has kind of ruined the expectation of a relaxing stress free spa where you get totally looked after- and for that reason I'm sorry to say I won't be visiting again.. although kudos to Mikhael on reception for being helpful always and Charley doing my treatment for making me feel at ease- this is much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Rebecca F

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

By all accounts you had a very enjoyable time and encounted some great staff throughout your stay, albiet, let down in a few areas. I have discussed your comments in detail with my team and I offer you my sincerest apologies for the shortcomings expereinced.

I do hope you change your mind about a return visit and if I can be of any help to arrange this for you, please contact me direct on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Many thanks

Marc Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was our first time at Hill Valley and the whole experience was fantastic. From booking arrangements with Sandra to spa treatments and fabulous food, the weekend was one of the best we have had. Rooms were to a very high standard and spotlessly clean and comfortable. Location was outstanding and the grounds stunning. The staff, in particular Harry, Mikhael and the lovely Sandra were extremely professional and courteous and nothing was too much trouble. We will definately return for another weekend break, superb.

Room Tip: Views from the top floor are stunning.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 152DEB
Dear 152DEB

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, we are delighted that your weekend was one of the best you have had!

Your lovely comments have been shared with the team, thank you for this.

Let me know when you are planning a return visit and I will make all the arrangements for you - gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Many thanks

Sheffield
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just returned from a weekend golf trip to hill valley and I have to say our golf society found it an excellent venue and unbeatable vfm. Rooms were spacious, modern and clean. Food was excellent. The main course was a great challenge, with great features and in top condition. The shorter course whilst not as impressive does offer a different challenge and was equally enjoyable. The golf staff were very helpful throughout the stay. All in all very enjoyable and definitely go again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Millwardo
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Millwardo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent golf society visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

We are very pleased that you found all aspects of your stay enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Comfortable accommodation friendly helpful staff. Beautiful golf courses with a tricky par four eighteenth on one. Bar prices at high end of scale but good venue for large groups .i would give the restaurant an average to good . I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Most rooms had views of the golf course. Ground floor have French doors and seating area.Book a delu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear docrhid

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and our friendly, helpful staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Blackpool
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our second visit to Hill Valley on our now annual golf trip, as usual we played the short Sapphire course first, on completion we checked in to the hotel.
We were greeted with the warmest of welcomes from the reception staff special thanks to Michelle, Nikki and Christine for their patience and excellent customer service.

The food was excellent as usual, everyone in our group complemented the quality of cuisine and the restaurant staff, again special thanks to Steph who attended to our table for the evening meal and the breakfast staff Debbie and the senior server Bernard, very professional and informative especially about the famous black pudding from the isle of Stornoway. which was excellent.

Bar staff Annalisa and a special thanks to Ian for looking after us in the Masters bar, thanks for going that extra mile to make sure we were looked after on Sunday night watching Bubba win his second Masters.

Finally not forgetting the Pro shop staff Matt and Andrew for their exceptional service although we were only a small group of 12.

I can only thank you for your exceptional staff for their professionalism and whatever your training program is do not change it,

See you next April.

The Clarke Party

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank global-golfer
Dear global-golfer

Thank you for posting such wonderful comments following your second visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel - we're delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I has personnally spoken to the staff you have highlighted in your review, it is incredibly rewarding for them to have this feedback, it goes to show that their hard work, dedication and passion for what they do is appreciated - thank you very much.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit, if I can be of any assitance in arranging this for you, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me at gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Manchester
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Have just had a 2 day stay and play golf trip here paying £105 for dinner B&B and 2 rounds of golf. On arrival all 24 of our party decided to order breakfast sandwiches in The Masters bar which seemed to cause the rather stressed male staff member no end of problems. People were left waiting ages for orders which,when they did arrive were wrong and stone cold and so sent back. The kitchen ended up making a load more than they would otherwise have had to if the staff had any idea of what they were doing or talked to one another. After the breakfast debacle it was onto the Emerald course which is a good and tough test. It was in pretty good nic but the greens had a patchy look about them though they ran OK. Following the golf it was back to the Basil Fawlty inspired Masters bar. We were booked in for dinner at 8 and so being that we had 3 hours to wait my room mate and I attempted to purchase a bag of nuts or crisps. "We don't sell them" came the reply. Having got over the shock of them missing an opportunity to fleece us I asked where we might obtain such rarities. " in the pro shop". We tottled off to the pro shop, poor gullible fools that we are only to be informed that they hadn't stocked them for 20 years. Well we decided to drown our sorrows and maybe try a different bar. Our party had negotiated a 20% discount and we stupidly assumed that would be throughout the resort. Wrong. It was only the Masters bar. They must have stuck 30% on the prices to accommodate the discount judging by the prices. We went to our rooms which in fairness I could not fault. Clean, well furnished with a great shower. We then returned for dinner where my room mate and I decided to push the boat out and buy a bottle of house red. We went to the masters bar where the poor young bar man tried to scan it through the till only to find it was not on the tills memory. We hung around for a further 5 minutes while a more senior staff member was summoned. We eventually persuaded them to part with it for 4 times the price you would have grudged in Asda. Dinner was nice considering the amount of parties being catered for and all went smoothly. The next day we played the sapphire course which had some nice holes but felt a bit pitch and put in places. All in all I would say this resort needs to get its staff training in order. If you have the time escape the poor service and rip off prices via the rear car park and head into Whitchurch. Failing that go to Carden Park or Portal. They will still rip you off but at least they know what they're doing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear andy_sealpup

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. At the outset, would you please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment regarding poor service.

I have discussed your comments with my heads of department and we have added your points into our training action plans so that they are adressed, thank you for bringing them to our attention and for allowing us to action them.

I hope you get the opportunity to stay with us again, I'm confident you will see the improvements we are making.

cheshire, england
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Had a great afternoon tea spa day today, everything was lovely, the staff in the spa were very efficient and friendly. Would recommend this hotel for a girls spa day we loved it, had a relaxing time and will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear penny73

Thank you for posting your kind comments following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I am very pleased to read that you had a lovely time and that the staff were very efficient and friendly.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Marc Smith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Hawkstone Park Hotel
Hawkstone Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston-under-Redcastle

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!