“Some good... But mostly bad”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
“Some good... But mostly bad”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We did a golf weekend break. One night, dinner B&B and two rounds of golf.

First the good.... Great golf courses, nice rooms (although air conditioning would be nice).

And now the bad.... The service and food was not at all satisfactory. For the service it wasn't that the staff were rude, just untrained. And there weren't enough staff either. In one case, after waiting for fifteen minutes for a drink at the bar (which was unattended), I had to go and find the barman, who was helping people. Necking in with their bags. Then there wasn't any ice behind the bar and we had to wait another 20 minutes to get the drinks we actually wanted. The bar was busy too, and everyone in our party agreed that there should have at least another member of staff behind the bar, if not another two. There were managers hanging around but none of them seemed willing to help out their colleague in need! I don't understand how a hotel like this can be under staffed when they must know how many people will be staying!?

As for the food... it was very disappointing. Overpriced, slow to arrive and generally poor. The steaks that we ordered were tiny and thin. The menu is incredibly limited and everyone in the party felt as if we'd been taken for a ride. Breakfast was slightly better although the options were limited and it was still overpriced.

However, having said all of this the golf courses were very good indeed!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FloydHamlet
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear FloydHamlet

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. Customer feedback is vitally important to us as without it we will never improve upon the service levels we offer at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the golf courses and bedrooms but very disappointed that you had such an unsatisfactory dining experience, the food quality and service is generally very good here at Hill Valley and I'm very sorry this wasn't the case for your group.

We are working very hard to improve our service and standards at the hotel and I'm confident should you plan a return golf trip you will notice the difference. Please contact me directly if I can assist you in any way with this - gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards

Marc Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This stay was a organized as a one night, two rounds of golf break for 12 people. Everything was great, food O.K. wine prices at the highest end.
It was although VERY upsetting to be told we had to open a credit account for drinks later.
Debit Card and cash unacceptable. Could not be bothered with this again, life is hard enough.

Dear lilybob1

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I'm pleased, by all accounts you had an enjoyable stay with us, I am however, very sorry for the upset caused regarding payment. We take cash payments up until 11pm in our lounge bar and following this time we ask guests to post any drinks or food onto their room accounts. We inform all guests of this policy on check-in and they are asked whether they would like to leave card details at reception so that they are able to charge items to their rooms.

I do hope this hasn't put you off a return visit as you have commented that everything was great. We hope to see you again in the future, please contact me direct if I can assist in any way - gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Sheffield
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Well apointed rooms but no air conditioning and these well furnished, fully carpeted rooms get hot in summer! That said I can't really fault this hotel. We stayed just the one night on a Secret Escapes half board deal in an Executive room. The upgraded ground floor room was worth the money as we had a huge bed (a little hard for me but that's me!), a lovely patio area overlooking the 1st tee of the golf course, a complimentary bottle of red wine, still & sparkling water and ice. There was a bath and a shower with quality toiletries.

The room and public areas were spotlessly clean. The staff were pleasant, attentive and helpful. We had a dinner package included and the choices were very good. The food and service in the restaurant were excellent - we had a very enjoyable stay.

On leaving this Saturday morning it was still raining after the previous night's thunderstorm. We left after a hearty breakfast and the buffet was amazing. As well as the full English on offer there was an ample selection of fresh and dried fruits, nuts, cereals, cheeses, sliced meats, etc, etc. Great black pudding too!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keithsec
Dear keithsec

Thank you very much for your recent review of Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

It is rewarding to read such positive comments about all areas of the hotel, the only negative being no air conditioning in the bedrooms - thankfully all rooms have double french doors that provide plenty of fresh air, not quite the comfort of air conditioning but refreshing all the same!

Thank you once again and we hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here weekend of 12th July with my partner for a relaxing break for two nights, including a spa treatment for us both.
Meal and breakfast's on both evenings/mornings was great, only negative would be that on the Friday it felt as though our food was rushed out as barely a few minutes between courses.. and on the second I asked for a medium Rib eye and it was quite well done to the point of it being ever so slightly burnt at the sides. Not really too much of a big a deal- but still, disappointing.
Service was faultless however, such lovely friendly faces! On the second night, whilst waiting n the bar area for our table we frequently had one waitress walking back and forth past us moaning about other customers to another waiter! I think it was during a wedding that was happening that evening, bad bad idea!!

Our spa treatments we amazing I had Charley for an Ocean top to toe radiance, who completely put me at ease as this was my very first spa treatment and was a little apprehensive. Got to say, coming out I felt on cloud nine- as did my partner! Unfortunately, I do have a slightly negative thing to say regarding the helpfulness of the staff at the spa reception- we 'signed in' and made it clear we had never done this sort of thing before.. and it actually felt like we were just being left to it!! We were given a locker key, and were a bit confused why other guests were coming out with robes and towels ect when there was nothing given to us- only when I went back out and asked a gentleman more interested in his phone gave us some which were already in a packet- so I did feel a little cheated on this front as by now other spa guests were coming out of the changing rooms with theirs on and I felt like a second rate guest. Secondly, when I finally did get my robe and went to get changed ready for my treatment, I went back out to reception with my partner expecting someone to direct us to where we were meant to be going as we had saw another girl doing the same for a couple before us.. NOTHING. We were left, (uniformed) and by this point a little embarrassed and annoyed that were were being treated a little differently to others, to roam to hotel to find some sort of room for a treatment- this went on for 10 minutes before I finally found the right door after following another friendly guest, after all the kerfuffle and aggravation I was so glad I enjoyed the actual treatment and the pool afterwards!
In all honesty, and especially on my part, I feel as though we were overlooked and not given the full service from the staff there as on many occasions I saw other guests being shown around beforehand and told where to go ect when all we received was a bill to be paid at the desk! It has kind of ruined the expectation of a relaxing stress free spa where you get totally looked after- and for that reason I'm sorry to say I won't be visiting again.. although kudos to Mikhael on reception for being helpful always and Charley doing my treatment for making me feel at ease- this is much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rebecca F

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

By all accounts you had a very enjoyable time and encounted some great staff throughout your stay, albiet, let down in a few areas. I have discussed your comments in detail with my team and I offer you my sincerest apologies for the shortcomings expereinced.

I do hope you change your mind about a return visit and if I can be of any help to arrange this for you, please contact me direct on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was our first time at Hill Valley and the whole experience was fantastic. From booking arrangements with Sandra to spa treatments and fabulous food, the weekend was one of the best we have had. Rooms were to a very high standard and spotlessly clean and comfortable. Location was outstanding and the grounds stunning. The staff, in particular Harry, Mikhael and the lovely Sandra were extremely professional and courteous and nothing was too much trouble. We will definately return for another weekend break, superb.

Room Tip: Views from the top floor are stunning.
1 Thank 152DEB
Dear 152DEB

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, we are delighted that your weekend was one of the best you have had!

Your lovely comments have been shared with the team, thank you for this.

Let me know when you are planning a return visit and I will make all the arrangements for you - gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Sheffield
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just returned from a weekend golf trip to hill valley and I have to say our golf society found it an excellent venue and unbeatable vfm. Rooms were spacious, modern and clean. Food was excellent. The main course was a great challenge, with great features and in top condition. The shorter course whilst not as impressive does offer a different challenge and was equally enjoyable. The golf staff were very helpful throughout the stay. All in all very enjoyable and definitely go again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Millwardo
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Millwardo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent golf society visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

We are very pleased that you found all aspects of your stay enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Many thanks,

Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Comfortable accommodation friendly helpful staff. Beautiful golf courses with a tricky par four eighteenth on one. Bar prices at high end of scale but good venue for large groups .i would give the restaurant an average to good . I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Most rooms had views of the golf course. Ground floor have French doors and seating area.Book a delu...
Dear docrhid

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and our friendly, helpful staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Many thanks,

Marc Smith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Haughton Hall
Haughton Hall
#1 of 4 in Shifnal

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!