“Lovely Rooms but poor food”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Rooms but poor food”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Went for a wedding which was being held at this hotel. It's on the grounds of a golf course and outside my patio door was a putting green so people could potentially see straight into my room! Needless to say, I kept the curtains drawn...

Stayed in accessible room which was actually very nice. The bathroom had a walk-in shower but, in my opinion, a wheelchair user would struggle to use it as it would be quite cramped. Plus the shower area wasn't the cleanest.

My friend went for breakfast and found it was full so a number of people were told to wait for sometime. After waiting for 1 hour, they discovered they were forgotten about. When my friend was eventually seated, she asked for tea and toast. When this arrived, my friend went to get something else to eat. When my friend got back to her table she discovered that her tea and toast had been cleared away. When my friend asked what had happened a member of staff returned the tea and the same toast which was now cold.

The hotel is lovely to look at, the grounds are fantastic especially if you're a golf fan. I feel the organisation could have been better though especially in the catering department. Also the shower area really should have been cleaner.

In my opinion, the room really wasn't accessible. The shower area is not big enough to accommodate a wheelchair user and of course there were not enough electric plugs and there were none near the bed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Footie2001

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

We have recently had net curtains fitted in all the ground floor bedrooms, these can be pulled across the French doors to protect your privacy but also let in the natural daylight.

I am sorry that you found the shower wasn't the cleanest, I have discussed your comments with my housekeeping team and we have arranged for some re-grouting in this area. We are pleased to read that you found the rooms very nice, they are indeed lovely rooms and are perfectly accessible for wheelchairs.

I have taken on board your comments regarding breakfast and I apologise for the delays you experienced, we have slightly changed our procedures for breakfast which have resulted in a much smoother service with very little waiting times for our guests. Breakfast in Borders Restaurant at Macdonald Hill Valley is of an excellent standard and is cooked to order and served fresh for every guest, our breakfast offering will take longer than your hotel buffet style breakfast but is most definately worth the wait!

Thank you once again for your review, we hope we are able to welcome you back again in the near future.

Marc Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here on Saturday night and was extremely pleased with the reception and room which was lovely. The reception staff were a credit to the hotel. However the afternoon tea was dreadful arriving with tea first with no sugar after asking at the bar. Then the fantastic not three plates came with four slices of bread and cake from a packet and two burnt scones. This was with minus plates and cutlery which again were asked for at the bar £36 wow. Then the evening meal which was part of our £260 DBB per night for two. Pick from 3 courses or bank your £25 from the main menu. I opted for the £25 rib eye steak all I can say after 2 attempts I ended up with chips which we left yuck. My partner had risotto which went back twice and was like rice pudding I could have cooked better my self and wished I had. My local cheap 2 for £10 does a better job it was a watery mess and I was extremely disappointed. We then went in the bar to try and end the night on a high and with the spot lights on full beam to say the least ended up with me having a migraine and if honest I couldn't wait to go to bed and home. The Manager was extremely helpful and we did end with getting the high teas and both our meals taken off the bill. However we never ate it anyway so really in hindsight it didn't make the visit any better. I think for a bill costing over £600 for 4 you can get a lot better value and most of all satisifaction on what should be a lovely treat....think you should try another Macdonalds hotels which I have been to quite a few. Sorry I do write mostly positive reviews but on this occasion very disappointed.

Room Tip: ground floor
Dear charliegirl123

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

At the outset, would you please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings experienced during your stay, especially with your food. I am aware that you spoke with my Manager and that the food charge was taken from the bill, we understand this doesn't make up for your poor stay and we are very sorry for this. We have completely changed our afternoon tea offering and we look to re-launch it this week - I would love to welcome you back to try this, please contact me on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I'll make the arrangements for you.

On a positive note it was pleasing to read that staff, the room and the reception team were praised highly during your time with us, thank you for this, I have informed them of your comments.

I am confident, should you look at a return visit to us, you will see the improvements we are continually making. Please contact me from the details above and hopefully we can arrange this.

Many thanks,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed overnight at this hotel. Had lunch first which was the beginning of some extremely good quality food. We then checked into our room which was very comfortable and large, overlooking the grounds to the entrance side of the hotel which was very pleasant. Popped into the pool, it was great to swim in a decent size hotel pool. The sauna and solarium were also good. The evening meal and breakfast again were of a very high standard for hotel food. There policy is to source high quality food which is reflected in there excellent food throughout our stay. The golf course looks great too. Staff were very friendly and efficient. It was a pleasure to stay in this hotel.

1 Thank LynMichael
Dear LynMichael

Thank you for your recent review of Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

We are delighted that your enjoyed your stay, it was very pleasing to read your comments, especially your breakfast, lunch & dinner being very good quality and of a high standard.

Now you've found us we hope you find time for a return visit! Please contact me directly and I will make all the arrangements for you - gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Many thanks,

Cricklade, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here as a base for travelling around the area. Beautiful setting and quiet. Lovely approach to the hotel through the golf course. Our room was on the ground floor overlooking the 1st Tee, very nice. We did not try the golf this time as too much else to do, mainly going to the British open golf in Hoylake rather than playing. This was quite a distance away but good roads and very scenic so not a problem for us. The room was lovely, well appointed and very clean.
We did feel sorry for the breakfast staff on Sunday 13th July as they were quite stressed by very busy breakfast and we did have a bit of a wait to be seated.
On the whole a great stay, very nice staff and beautiful surroundings. We would definitely recommend a stay here.

1 Thank ellie882016
Dear hounddog88

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, whilst visiting the British Open - what an event and what a fabulous win by Rory!

We hope next time you visit you'll be able to enjoy a round of golf, if I can assist in any arrangements for you, please feel free to drop me a line - gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We did a golf weekend break. One night, dinner B&B and two rounds of golf.

First the good.... Great golf courses, nice rooms (although air conditioning would be nice).

And now the bad.... The service and food was not at all satisfactory. For the service it wasn't that the staff were rude, just untrained. And there weren't enough staff either. In one case, after waiting for fifteen minutes for a drink at the bar (which was unattended), I had to go and find the barman, who was helping people. Necking in with their bags. Then there wasn't any ice behind the bar and we had to wait another 20 minutes to get the drinks we actually wanted. The bar was busy too, and everyone in our party agreed that there should have at least another member of staff behind the bar, if not another two. There were managers hanging around but none of them seemed willing to help out their colleague in need! I don't understand how a hotel like this can be under staffed when they must know how many people will be staying!?

As for the food... it was very disappointing. Overpriced, slow to arrive and generally poor. The steaks that we ordered were tiny and thin. The menu is incredibly limited and everyone in the party felt as if we'd been taken for a ride. Breakfast was slightly better although the options were limited and it was still overpriced.

However, having said all of this the golf courses were very good indeed!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FloydHamlet
Dear FloydHamlet

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. Customer feedback is vitally important to us as without it we will never improve upon the service levels we offer at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the golf courses and bedrooms but very disappointed that you had such an unsatisfactory dining experience, the food quality and service is generally very good here at Hill Valley and I'm very sorry this wasn't the case for your group.

We are working very hard to improve our service and standards at the hotel and I'm confident should you plan a return golf trip you will notice the difference. Please contact me directly if I can assist you in any way with this - gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This stay was a organized as a one night, two rounds of golf break for 12 people. Everything was great, food O.K. wine prices at the highest end.
It was although VERY upsetting to be told we had to open a credit account for drinks later.
Debit Card and cash unacceptable. Could not be bothered with this again, life is hard enough.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear lilybob1

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I'm pleased, by all accounts you had an enjoyable stay with us, I am however, very sorry for the upset caused regarding payment. We take cash payments up until 11pm in our lounge bar and following this time we ask guests to post any drinks or food onto their room accounts. We inform all guests of this policy on check-in and they are asked whether they would like to leave card details at reception so that they are able to charge items to their rooms.

I do hope this hasn't put you off a return visit as you have commented that everything was great. We hope to see you again in the future, please contact me direct if I can assist in any way - gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Many thanks

Sheffield
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Well apointed rooms but no air conditioning and these well furnished, fully carpeted rooms get hot in summer! That said I can't really fault this hotel. We stayed just the one night on a Secret Escapes half board deal in an Executive room. The upgraded ground floor room was worth the money as we had a huge bed (a little hard for me but that's me!), a lovely patio area overlooking the 1st tee of the golf course, a complimentary bottle of red wine, still & sparkling water and ice. There was a bath and a shower with quality toiletries.

The room and public areas were spotlessly clean. The staff were pleasant, attentive and helpful. We had a dinner package included and the choices were very good. The food and service in the restaurant were excellent - we had a very enjoyable stay.

On leaving this Saturday morning it was still raining after the previous night's thunderstorm. We left after a hearty breakfast and the buffet was amazing. As well as the full English on offer there was an ample selection of fresh and dried fruits, nuts, cereals, cheeses, sliced meats, etc, etc. Great black pudding too!

1 Thank keithsec
Dear keithsec

Thank you very much for your recent review of Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

It is rewarding to read such positive comments about all areas of the hotel, the only negative being no air conditioning in the bedrooms - thankfully all rooms have double french doors that provide plenty of fresh air, not quite the comfort of air conditioning but refreshing all the same!

Thank you once again and we hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Marc Smith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
#5 of 6 in Oswestry

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!