“Expensive food in the cafe.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Terrace Bay
The Coach House Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Terrace Bay
Barrington, Illinois, United States
“Expensive food in the cafe.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Very neat and clean. Dennis and his wife do a very good job in this area. The only complaint I have is the cost of their food. We arrived at the end of a long day of traveling, we were tired and just wanted to crash. We went to their cafe, looked at a menu and all the simple menu items were priced at $9.00. This includes a bowl of chili or bowl of beef barley or chicken noodle soup. Both my wife and I felt the owners are taking advantage of a captive customer since the actual town is 12 miles away across roads that are under construction. Really, $9.00 for soup and an individual size loaf of bread? On top of that is the 13% Canadian taxes and a tip!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bruce H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I spend there two nights recently with my son. I have to say it was our pleasure to be there. Beautiful and clean rooms, very friendly and helpful owners. Outside a lot of flowers. Quiet and immaculate nature around. Too bad i couldn't get historical room # 10 where Terry Fox once stayed on his run accross Canada. But Dennis told us where Terry went to beach while staying in motel. We went there and closed our eyes and imagine Terry being there a long time ago.
If we are around most definitely be back at Coachhouse.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank thorvald2013
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

So often as a family you look for the best deal. I was a little skeptical in regards to the cost/benefit of staying at a roadside motel, but this place was IMMACULATE!!! I was VERY impressed at how clean everything was (especially the bathroom - no trace of mold ANYWHERE, fresh paint and great smelling little shampoo). The outside had a homey feel and I corresponded with the owners regularly. We even got delayed with construction and they left our room ready for us with lights on and key waiting! We didn't stay for the breakfast, but when going into the office for check out it smelled DEVINE!
If I had to make one criticism it would be that the beds were very hard. I am pregnant and found it to be a very hard sleep.

2 Thank Ranee N
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Dennis and Patti have set up a motel the way it should be done. Flowers all around and immaculate rooms. While they only provide two double beds per room, they were the most comfortable we slept on after three weeks of travel in Canada. They have kept their rates affordable, especially when you compare to what's available for a higher price either way down the road. The food was home-made, served with a smile and friendly conversation. The lake is beautiful for a quiet lunch and taking pictures at sunset, just across the road. So glad we waited until we found this place...we stayed an extra night!

Room Tip: Each room has it's own Wifi. Much appreciated!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank George P
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Dennis and Patty own and operate this cozy little motel about 15min east outside of Terrace Bay. Dont be fooled by GPS, this motel is not in Terrace Bay itself, and is conveniently right on the highway. Its a popular little place so call early because their office closes at 10pm. They have satelite tv and free wifi. The owners do everything themselves and you can tell a lot of love and attention goes into the details. The owners really help make the experience. There is a nice view and decent rooms for the price paid. Dont bother asking for a discount - realistically its already dirt cheap when you compare it to a lot of other places. They have a tasty breakfast menu available until 10am (perfect for a sleep in day!). They have dehumidifiers and heaters in all the rooms and fun fact, Terry Fox stayed in room 10 right before he was forced to stop his run. Yes its a little out of the way but its a lovely little place and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. Their TVs are old classics but they work.

• Stayed July 2013
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Over the years, we have stayed in a number of motels between Marathon and Nipigon, on the north shore of Lake Superior. Until you pull up and check in, you never really know what you are going to get.

Not so with Coach House Motel. It is a lovely motel run by wonderful people. The room was extremely clean (a rarity in some of these places). Our only challenge was that the beds were just doubles, not queens. It presented a real sleeping challenge for our three-person group. Other than that, I have nothing but good to say about this spot.

We did not get a chance to try the restaurant (in at 9:30 PM, out at 6:15 AM), but it looked nice when we checked in.

I'd recommend Coach House in a second, as long as double beds aren't a challenge for your group.

1 Thank slansky
Lakeshore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I didn't actually stay at this property, but my parents did. They happened to be there for my mother's birthday, so last minute I called the Motel and spoke to Dennis. I asked him if they could sing, or put a candle in her breakfast or just wish her a happy birthday.

Not only did they give her a chocolate lava bunt cake with a candle, but Dennis called me back so that I could speak with her and wish her a happy birthday myself!

So kudos to the Coach House Motel for providing excellent service, even to those that are indirect customers. Not only did they make my mothers day, they also made mine. Thank you Dennis!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Terrace Bay
#4 of 4 in Schreiber
Mystic Isle Motel
Mystic Isle Motel
#5 of 13 in Wawa

Been to The Coach House Motel? Share your experiences!