Visited as couple with 7 month baby. Room was ideal (515) as it had terrace opening onto pool area and 1 min from restaurant, perfect for convenience with baby. We weren't sure as the doorway was opposite the road near the hotel reception and could hear yapping dogs when we arrived but couldn't actually hear these when in the room.
However! I have stayed in a lot of 4* hotels across the Canaries and in Adeje and this hotel lacked something..... mainly charisma, facilities, dining quality.
Food: One restaurant (many other AI's often have other themed restuarants but not in Melia), and one pool bar. Pool bar food typical burger, fries, toasted sandwiches, small amount of salad. Always cold food. Main restaurant: Always a choice of salads, desserts, meat choices, fish choice etc but certainly no where near the choice and selection I've had at other similar hotels. Food was ALWAYS cold, and often had to wait a short while for freshly cooked meat etc. as didn't seem to have enough service staff. Food wasn't brilliant quality, but just ok...For young children there would be nothing really that suitable - no specific childrens selections, the only thing they would probably have/want is pizza and fries.
Pool area and grounds were ok, clean, sunbeds plentiful (we went in Feb 2013), only one pool heated (but still felt cool) on the reception floor (floor 5). "Child" pool is NOT heated, so too cold for our 7 month old but 5th floor heated pool which is heated also has nice shallow ends so children also played in there. Also access to microwaves 24/7 in lobby bar which helped with preparing baby bottles and baby food.
The hotel is set on the hillside so the hotel and grounds go over about 5 floors. If you find walking difficult you would probably get tired of the numerous steps dotted around the grounds and that are dotted around the main pool area which you can see on the wooden bridges on the main pictures (although there are ramps and lifts), but we found this a bit tiresome with carrying our baby or if we had her in the buggy.
Childrens park pretty poor, small climbing hut, couple of rockers and a see-saw and pretty grubby sand base. kids club seemed "ok" nothing fancy, and kids disco started at 9.15pm which is totally ridiculous for children!
Didn't make use of the entertainments program but seemed average from what I noticed of other guests. Evening entertainment the same rubbish really!
Bar service - usually OK but some of the bar staff could do with learning how to smile and be a little more polite with guests.
Reception staff very nice and helpful. Charge for safe deposit and also 30 euros if want to keep room for extra THREE hours, or 50 euros to keep for extra 6 hours which seemed a little expensive if have a late return flight. Can use courtesy room for free though.
Room: reasonable size, not super clean but clean enough. Had to ask 3 times to get the cot in our room, but got one in the end (meshed sided travel cot). Mini bar fridge in room, flat screen TV (only 2 english channels I noticed), bathroom average, could all do with a lick of paint and freshen up. Our room was 515, opening out onto heated pool area, which some may not like but we enjoyed the convenience. However we did also view a suite and another room (as wasn't sure on our room on arrival) and I would have been VERY dissappointed if I'd paid extra for a suite, to me it didn't look any different than our own room, just a larger living area where the sofa is situated, beds the same, bathroom the same. Perhaps you are paying for a sea view but walk to the front of the hotel and you can see this anyway! Other reviewers have commented on the beds - we found the bed fine but prefer harder mattresses anyway. The walls are definitely thin and you can hear every word and sound of your neighbours either side and above.
Hotel is on hillside above Duque beach/resort area. Easily walkable (even with our loaded up buggy) but we are reasonably fit. If you struggle with walking or some strenuous activity you would probably find the walk back a little tasking as the hill is a steep walk back up. Going down no problem. There is a courtesy bus to/from beach but we never used it.
In summary, this hotel is "ok" but I think if you've stayed in other 4*'s in tenerife, you might find this hotel not an equivalent, in my opinion. Difficult to really put my finger on it but I just wouldn't stay here again. Didn't have the ambience, friendliness, food was not brilliant and always cold. Just lacking a little something.
Hope this helps others when considering the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This property is 9 minutes walk from the beach. Melia Jardines del Teide is built around a huge pool complex and 12,000m² of tropical gardens. It has wonderful views of the coast and mountains, including Mount Teide. Rooms at the hotel are bright and spacious. They all have air conditioning and satellite TV. Each room has a balcony or terrace, with views of the pool, sea or mountains. Free WiFi is available throughout. Adults-only The Level services are available in some rooms, including a private lounge with free coffee and tea, private check-in area and daily cocktail hour, as well as private pool and rooms with Nespresso machine, pillow menu and designer toiletries. The Meliá Jardines del Teide offers 2 adult swimming pools, one being exclusive for The Level guests. There is also a children's pool. The hotel has a kids' club, as well as a full family entertainment programme. Dining options includes a buffet restaurant, an a la carte restaurant, the lobby bar and a restaurant serving snacks. The hotel is set just 9 minutes' walk from Playa del Duque beach, in southern Tenerife. Costa Adeje Golf Club is 1.5 km away. There is also a free shuttle service to a nearby shopping centre. There are also several shops on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Melia, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Priceline, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Melia Jardines del Teide reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Jardines Del Teide Hotel Costa Adeje
- Melia Costa Adeje
- Melia Hotel Costa Adeje
- Melia Jardines Del Teide Costa Adeje, Tenerife