“Good friendly and clean Hotel - disabled and children friendly”

Melia Jardines del Teide
Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Costa Adeje
London, United Kingdom
“Good friendly and clean Hotel - disabled and children friendly”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We just returned from this hotel and we had a lovely stay. 9 nights a family of 7. I am the slightly disabled passenger I hope this review helps from that point of view! I emailed hotel in advance to ask for disability friendly room and had a quick and helpful response a brilliant start they recommended floor 5 which was spot on for me. I use crutches but occasionally wheelchair. They also sent champagne and chocolates to my daughter and husbands rooms on their birthdays with a handwritten note which was touching and a nice surprise - champagne tasted good too! Good clean reception area and bars, staff constantly remove glasses and rubbish so always looks neat and tidy. Modern comfortable furniture in all areas with cushions so you can support your back this was much appreciated by me! Rooms are very large and comfortable with sofa and comfy grandad style chair in our standard room. Beds however were too hard for me and my husband. Wifi in our room 516 only worked sitting on the chair at the patio doors and I only worked this out on day 5! You also need to keep logging in so keep your wifi ticket! They work for 1 or 2 days then you will need a new one. Ladies no need to lug your hair dryer along the bathrooms all have them and they are really good! Fast strong speed and hot or cold settings to set your style best hair dryer I experienced. Bathroom also very nice. Sun loungers also fantastic!! they are multi adjustable. I have a back condition and found the under knee adjustment (that takes the strain off your back) a real treat, the back upper section also has 3 different adjust settings so you will be super comfortable. Towels are good quality for the pool again leave yours at home no need to waste your luggage allowance. Bathroom towels also changed daily abit scratchy but you can't really complain as they are immaculate and changed daily. Now the beds! I'm obviously a bit fussy and react badly to a change of bed as my back condition doesn't adjust well, these beds were too hard for me and my husband. I really struggled with them but put the thick blanket from the wardrobe on mine to help, I got used to it after 4 days but not very comfortable - the pillows are good 1 hard 1 soft and I ordered extra to put under my legs and again it was no problem for the staff, they were immediately delivered. Cleaning staff in rooms very courtesious alway saying hello and fold your clothes if left strewn over your bed as I left it one morning which was much appreciated. There are a lot of steps but As I'd emailed in advance they happily allocated me a ground floor - which is level 5 as it's built into a hill- room where reception and the restaurant and bar are all located - also the smaller pool (perfect for young children as shallow mostly little kids used it) is on this level, but we preferred the bigger beautiful -1 level pool as the bar is more accessible from there and the snacks and food service also more selection from here - try the toasted cheese and ham sandwiches, it isn't obvious they are available in English as there is a full constant buffet in front of you and they are in a glass cabinet but once you ask they are cooked on a griddle right in front of you and are lovely, the snack bar to us was just as good as the main lunchtime restaurant to us and we happily stayed down at the pool all day and eat lunch there. There is tea and coffee fizzy drinks and ice creams / lollies all self service so immediately accessible which is good. 2 lots of toilets and a changing room so no need to go back your to your room. The main evening buffets they provide is ok selection of food not the best we have had though, my husband didn't like the selections, we've had a lot better in costa adeje hotels before. Also the all inclusive wine is a bit weak I missed the 12.5/13% we have in the UK it's 11/11.5% and a bit bland. You can upgrade though for 15euro for better drinks stronger wines and fresh orange juice at breakfast if wanted. The entrainment for the hotel is a mixed bag - the children's looked fabulous lots of fun - watching the kids attempting the huge inflatable pool assault course was great fun as was the running pool mat game, they also played pirates around the pool and the kids looked really happy as did the energetic staff! The adult entertainment however was not great, it's badly advertised with the only way of knowing what's going on being a smallish TV screen at the level 5 lifts. We went to watch grease the musical but it was mimed which I hate! It could have done with some karaoke or something real to watch! There was a good magic show that my nephew watched but I'd given up by then. Access to other amenities at the resort was easy with a gate at the main -1 level pool to a short walk away upmarket shopping centre, prada, dior, gucci, Burberry as well as mango, high street brands, a chemists and supermarket, there is a local market also Wednesdays and Saturdays which is good for gifts and tat that you buy on holidays. There is a beautiful walkable distance beach here that is georgous! Overall good hotel, beautiful views! Perfect for families with young children, if just me and hubby I'd go somewhere else.

2 Thank D1171YCmaryh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Chester
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel over Easter. We are a young family with two children (6 and 4). Whilst we had an enjoyable holiday, we would not return to this hotel and I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend it.

We have stayed in a number of good quality, similarly priced all inclusive hotels (four and five star) in Majorca and throughout the Greek islands and I have to say that this hotel compares particularly unfavourably.

I don't wish to be unduly pessimistic as there are some very good points about this accommodation.

The setting is fabulous and the views are stunning. The hotel was very clean generally very well kept.

The large, main swimming pool was very attractively laid out, surrounded by an abundant supply of very comfortable sun loungers. Whilst there is small splash pool beside the main pool, I do feel it necessary to point out that the main pool is very DEEP, in that it is 1.6m at the shallowest point so is not brilliant for children to play in or for inexperienced swimmers. There is another, shallower pool at Reception level, but this is a rather unattractive setting, more akin to what I would imagine a 2 star budget hotel pool to look like!

We stayed in a Junior Suite. Whilst the room was clean and very spacious and we had a large private terrace with amazing views, the room was tired and needed some updating and some money spending. To call the decor basic is something on an understatement!

The entertainment team worked really very hard under the direction of Domvinik, who was extremely cheerful. Our girls really enjoyed taking part in some of the day time activities and his staff were all very friendly. The foam party was a huge success!! NIght time entertainment was also pretty good with mini disco, balloons and face painting for the children followed by a show each night.

For us, the worst aspect of this hotel and an area in which it really does need to improve is the hospitality, food and drink. There is a real lack of direction in the main restaurant in that unusually there is no apparent head waiter or any one in charge. Unfortunately, we found some of the waiting staff in the main restaurant very rude and abrupt and not at all welcoming, not just to us but to others around us. I do feel that some training and supervision is urgently required in this regard. The food was ok but we have had better on most other holidays. The self service pool side snack bar is well located but rather limited in what it offers.

The alcoholic drinks at this hotel were the worst we have encountered at any all inclusive hotel. We are not big drinkers but do enjoy a drink on holiday. The cocktails here are awful, in fact undrinkable and the wines with the all inc package are poor.

I really don't want to be unduly harsh about this hotel as we did have a good week, but for us there was a negative to every positive aspect of our stay which regrettably does mean I would struggle to recommend this hotel to a friend.

The resort of Playa del Duque was lovely with a great beach and the hotel is well located for shops and restaurants.

In short, we had a good holiday here but, on the basis of what we have encountered at other hotels, we would not return to this one due to the overall lack of quality. This hotel is more average than very good, hence I have given it three stars.

Room Tip: Go for a Junior Suite, great private terrace with sun loungers.
4 Thank AndrewChester
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a very well run clean & tidy hotel, the staff are extremely helpful & friendly & nothing is to much trouble. The bedrooms are comfortable with excellent daily cleaning service, towel changing should you request it. The food is fabulous with a lot of choice, you can watch the fish/meat of the day being cooked four YOU. The waiters/waitresses are excellent and we cannot praise them enough.
We had a problem with the plumbing in our bathroom which could not be resolved so we were moved to another room.
The pools are absolutely wonderful clean & safe and the hotel provide towels that you can change everyday if you wish you get these from the lifeguard on duty from 10am in the morning. There are two terrace areas for adults only which offers a slightly quieter area away from children. The bar is excellent as well by the way and there are two hotel shops. The one nearest the reception is very reasonable and has clothes, jewelry & nicknaks. The lady who runs it is very helpful and her stock changes daily so always worth a second look.
My only negative comment about this hotel is its designed more for families not couples or single groups. There were a LOT of screaming kids making the environment noisy around the pool and in the restaurant. It spoiled our enjoyment & relaxation. All in all though a supper location and a 15 minuet drive from the airport..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank faymondo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I don't normally write negative reviews as some people seem to find fault as a hobby but I have some useful advice if you are thinking of staying here.

If you have young children or a large family then this is a good holiday for you. There is loads for the kids to do and a huge choice on the menu - most of it very good.

However, if you are a couple looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway think again.

The restaurant is like a massive canteen and struggled to cope with the crowds when we went in April. I can't imagine what it would be like in high season. For some reason, buffet style dining seems to bring out the worst in people. They push and shove and cut queues, leave tables in a tip and let their kids run around screaming putting fingers in the food.

The waiting staff are lovely and work tirelessly to turn tables around so there is room for everyone but all of these factors make eating here a stressful experience.

Maybe I am just not cut out for all inclusive holidays but I have another major problem with this hotel. The accommodation is definitely not 4*.

Our room was sparsely furnished and the beds were rickety cot beds topped with an extra mattress. There was chewing gum stuck behind furniture and a leaky ceiling in the bathroom with vestigial fittings left sticking out of walls and grotty grout.

The plaster by the bathroom was pealing away due to damp and there were holes in the sheets and ciggie burns in the curtains.

The only entrance to our room was through the sliding glass door on the terrace. There were no other doors or windows so you could not even leave the window open at night for a cool breeze as people were constantly walking past on the not-so-private terrace. This not only made the room feel very claustrophobic but meant you had to rely on the ancient air conditioning system which made about as much difference as an Eskimo's fart. The chambermaids were also very friendly but the reception staff were downright rude.

Good points - Good menu, plenty for kids, mostly helpful staff, great for families on a budget.

Bad points - Unpleasant atmosphere in restaurant, terrible rooms and unhelpful reception staff.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank JaxMC83
Birmingham
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Wonderful hotel. Staff really went out of their way to make sure we had a great holiday. Food was great, rooms had lots of space, pool and amenities were fab. A lovely hotel for kids too. Would go back without any hesitation.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank feefee1000
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have been at the Meliá Jardines del Teide in April 2014 for four days. I got a corner room in the fifth floor, quite close to reception. The views from the room's terrace are awesome. I found both the room and bathroom spotlessly clean. You will find a comprehensive set of amenities in the bathroom, besides hairdryer and an adjustable make-up mirror. The room floor is tiled which makes it easier to clean for the maids and feels definitely more hygienic than a carpeted floor.
The food was surprisingly good considering it is an all-inclusive resort. The food variety and quality were remarkable, wether for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
As mentioned in many other reviews, I agree about the very friendly and helpful hotel staff. Most of them went out of their way to make you feel welcomed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building if walking or climbing steps is an issue. Since the hotel is bui...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GFR2011
Boulogne-billancourt, France
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Melia Jardines del Teide is a great 4-star hotel located on the heights of Costa Adeje, all-inclusive, the juinio suite rooms with ocean view are probably the best rooms, suitable for up to 2 kids.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,994 reviews
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Tagoro Family & Fun Costa Adeje

Been to Melia Jardines del Teide? Share your experiences!