We stayed at the Melia last week from the 22/05/2014 to the 29/05/2014, the weather was a bit overcast for the first day or two but then opened up to a fantastic sunny 24 degrees.
As for the Melia it's an average 3 star hotel (no way a 4 star), with a lovely outside garden / pool setting, in fact the outside is the Melia's main plus point, everything else is just average.
The outside areas are set on 3 levels offering 2 pools, the main pool is on the lowest level, which attracts more kids and families, in fact it gets very crowded around this pool, and the sun beds are almost on top of each other.
There is a snack bar by the main pool offering, burgers, hotdogs, chips ect, and also soft & alcholic drinks.
The snack bar itself can also get a bit busy, and sometimes you have to clear a table yourself if you want to sit there.
The upper pool on the top level is smaller but still located in a nice setting, with great views over the bay.
This pool is far less busy and attracted, older families and couples, theres also 2 large sun teraces by this pool, fantastic to get a tan and enjoy the views.
This top pool is served by one of the bars inside the main hotel building, but it does NOT serve snacks, only drinks, so you have to go all the way down to the bottom pool area if you want a snack.
There are lifts to take you down or you can take a walk down the many steps, but again, it's a very nice set up if you do walk down through the gardens.
The main building of the hotel has the restaurant there, which gets very busy at lunch time and evening time, theres plenty of tables and seats, but the staff do seem to struggle if its busy, I would imagine that the whole hotel would be crowded and under pressure at peak holiday times.
The variaty of food in the restaurant was on par with any average 3 star hotel, nothing better or nothing worse, well except for the poor choice of deserts, one very small display.
I keep saying 3 star because after staying in many 4 star hotels throughout Tenerife, I can easily say that the Melia is NOT a 4 star hotel, it just does not compare with some of the other 4 star hotels on the island.
A big set back for the Melia is it's location, it is set back high up the resort and all the back, in fact there is nothing else built behind it, so a walk into the main resort is about 15 minutes down 2 very very steep hills, ok nothing to worry about going down but coming back up is very hard work.
The hotel lays on a bus 4 times a day, but it stops at 6pm, so if you fancy a drink or stroll around the resort after your evening meal you better get your hiking boots on.
After one or two nights staying in the hotel you will find the entertainment simply boring, it is the poorest entertainment in a hotel I have come across, however as the season picks up hopefully so will the entertainment ?
The rooms in the main buiding are clean yet dated, I didnt see inside one of the outer building rooms but after getting friendly with other guests it sound as though they are of the same style and could do with updating.
Our room wasc 723 in the main building, the views from this room are outstanding, it over looks both pools and has a great sea view.
We noticed that some of the ground level rooms are basically looking at concrete walls, so ask for a sea view as you will have a higher up room (not high rise), so you will not be stuck away in some dark corner.
Staff are friendly and helpfull, but a bit under pressure.
So to sum up:
Location, not great, entertainment poor, food very average, rooms clean but dated, lovely outside areas clean and great views.
It may sound like we had a bad time at the Melia, but we DIDNT, we enjoyed our stay there,but it was not the 4 star hotel that it is made out to be, it is mainly let down by 2 things, location and lack of good entertainment, which being as the hotel's location is a bit of a pain, you would think that the hotel management would offer better entertainment.
The enternaiment would not be an issue if the location was a bit better.
The hotel also offer free towels, which is great, but remember to get your towel tickets back at the end of your stay or you will be charged 20euros for each towel.
They also charge for non standard spirits and beer, ie; only local brands are free.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This property is 9 minutes walk from the beach. Melia Jardines del Teide is built around a huge pool complex and 12,000m² of tropical gardens. It has wonderful views of the coast and mountains, including Mount Teide. Rooms at the hotel are bright and spacious. They all have air conditioning and satellite TV. Each room has a balcony or terrace, with views of the pool, sea or mountains. Free WiFi is available throughout. Adults-only The Level services are available in some rooms, including a private lounge with free coffee and tea, private check-in area and daily cocktail hour, as well as private pool and rooms with Nespresso machine, pillow menu and designer toiletries. The Meliá Jardines del Teide offers 2 adult swimming pools, one being exclusive for The Level guests. There is also a children's pool. The hotel has a kids' club, as well as a full family entertainment programme. Dining options includes a buffet restaurant, an a la carte restaurant, the lobby bar and a restaurant serving snacks. The hotel is set just 9 minutes' walk from Playa del Duque beach, in southern Tenerife. Costa Adeje Golf Club is 1.5 km away. There is also a free shuttle service to a nearby shopping centre. There are also several shops on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Melia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Lastminute, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Melia Jardines del Teide reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Jardines Del Teide Hotel Costa Adeje
- Melia Costa Adeje
- Melia Hotel Costa Adeje
- Melia Jardines Del Teide Costa Adeje, Tenerife