“Amazing!”
Review of Bahia del Duque

Bahia del Duque
Ranked #10 of 59 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We went to this hotel for Christmas and had a brilliant time. As soon as you arrive you are made to feel incredibly welcome and this continues throughout your stay. The staff are all so friendly yet professional and efficient and nothing is too much trouble. All of our rooms were very nice, clean and spacious. There are certain areas of the hotel that could be construed as 'tired' but you can tell they are constantly maintaining and upkeeping this large resort which must be a continuous year round job. We ate in the buffet restaurant most evenings and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was always lots of choice and the food was of a good standard especially the steaks. The pool areas were all lovely and although the bottom pool has been stated to be tricky to get to you don't have to use the steps and can follow a gently sloping pathway instead. We had our 84 year old Uncle with us and he had no problems. We just found our whole experience amazing and would return here in an instant. Thank you to all of the staff for making our trip such a success.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank HunterA
GHBDR, Gerente at Bahia del Duque, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Dear client,

Thank you for kind feedback regarding your stay at Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort.

We always want to provide our customers with the best service and we feel really proud when we receive such kind comments.

It will be a pleasure to seeing you again in our Resort.

There are newer reviews for Bahia del Duque

Reviewed 10 January 2012

Beauty is a way to describe this hotel. Luxury from the moment you step into the reception. Beautiful architecture with great character. There are many restaurants and bars which leave you no excuse that you would have to leave the hotel.

4  Thank horseah

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are very proud about having reached your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Went to this resort in July 2011 in the last week of the school term. We all had a wonderful time, everything about the resort is beautifully designed, I especially loved the architecture of the buildings and you feel like you are in a spanish village with the cobbled walkways and the central square. The restaurants were very good, we mainly ate in the Trattoria and everything we ordered was perfect. It overlooks the square so if we were still at our table when the evening entertainment started we could still enjoy it. We tried Las Aguas on the last evening and that was lovely, but not as child friendly as the other restaurants.

The entertainment was very good and something different every night. The children are encouraged to sit at the front so they could get a good view and you can still see your children from where you are.

The highlight for us was the kids club which was excellent - so much so that we couldn't drag our children out of there!! Ours were 4 and 5 and there is plenty to keep them entertained. We stayed with them at first for about 20 minutes or so but once they were settled they absolutely loved it! I even tried to collect them after a couple of hours on more than 1 occasion but they wanted us to go back to collect them later. The children are even walked over to the buffet restaurant for lunch if you wanted them to stay there. This suited us fine as we had a chance to sit at the beach cafe on our own and have a sandwich and drink overlooking the sea!

If the children were not in the kids club then we would be by the kids pool, this was sometimes overcrowded and as always - towels there first thing in the morning!! So annoying but mostly they would be taken up shortly after breakfast. The pool definitely got busier as the week progressed but to be expected.

Its been 6 months since we returned and the children still ask to go back to Tenerife as they had a fabulous holiday.

We had 2 interconnecting rooms which was fine as we had our own space and we were not overcrowded when we were getting ready etc. We only went for this option as the villa rooms were more expensive.

We would definitely return to this resort as everything was first class. The service was very good, but we felt it was a lot busier towards the end of the week as the school holidays began and as a result the staff appeared to be more stretched. For example it took a lot longer to get the attention of a waiter by the entertainment square in the evening. In the end I went up the bar and ordered it myself - it still took 5 minutes to get served and I could see waiters and barmen running round like headless chickens. Apart from this I was satisfied with the service of the staff at the resort as a whole.

Unfortunately we had a week of mostly cloud which is a shame as I expected Tenerife to be scorching hot in July but we have been told we were just unlucky.... nevertheless we are searching for a similar resort for this years summer holiday but will try the med in an attempt to get (almost guaranteed) sunshine!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank HertsFamily21
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I booked for a week at Christmas with Andy Fielding at Clear Blue Seas for my first holiday with a child, my 6 month old daughter. I specified that the buggy I was taking was huge so the room needed to be accessible and large enough to accommodate it and a cot-bed. It was.
The trip started out badly when the promised transfer didn’t turn up at the airport. We stayed 30 minutes but then got a taxi – not a major problem. Arrived at the hotel & was blown away by their attention to detail. From the décor to the buildings and the costumes (uniform) it was all fantastic. I asked for a baby-bath in the room it appeared before I arrived in the room.
I also told reception that because my baby has sensitive skin, I had brought her bedding from the UK so not to touch it. They promised to make housekeeping aware and this worked FOR ONE NIGHT. On Boxing Day I returned to the room to find not only my cot sheet missing but also my daughter’s cuddly rabbit. I spoke to reception who were not that interested. I then shouted that my belongings had been stolen & within 30 minutes the Duty Manager appeared at my door. He was very apologetic and arranged for the head of housekeeping to contact me and also to provide a hyper-allergic sheet for the interim. In a few hours they had located the rabbit and the next day my missing sheet arrived washed and pressed. The Duty manager had visited my room twice and found me by the children’s pool twice. Very good service after a problem that should not have occurred in a 5-star hotel.
My room was above the children’s ‘Duqui Club’ which I guess was good if you have a screaming baby because of the noise. I don’t & had to find quiet areas to get her to sleep during the day. The room was big enough (just) and the terrace much larger than expected. Incredible view from it…..felt like I was in a Spanish hilltop village, but no sun at all during the day as was shaded by a large but beautiful tree.
The bathroom (except for the ants) was large and well equipped. Fantastic separate power-shower. I had a problem with the toilet door. Just clear glass and the main bathroom doors were just louvre. Not very private for those that need it to be!
As per others reviews the breakfast was amazing. 5 star indeed. The only things missing were kippers & devilled kidneys! The staff were really helpful and rushed to bring us a highchair as soon as we arrived each day. Homemade butter, yoghurt, milkshakes, breads etc.
The staff by the pool were wonderful. They jumped to your aid and fetched towels/rearranged umbrellas/sourced baby toys etc Other than the pool bar/café, we didn’t eat in any of the restaurants as felt it unfair on other patrons if my baby were to complain. The hotel is very well situated to get to La Colletta (my favourite seafood restaurant) & Playa Fanabe for Otellos garlic chicken.
My trip finished as it had begun, the promised transfer didn’t arrived & we got a taxi. I’ve yet to hear from Andy!
All in all, I’d love to stay here again. Maybe next Christmas!

Room Tip: lots of stairs everywhere and quite a walk to the beach
7  Thank Angela S

Dear Guest,

First of all, we wish to thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us.

Your comments are very much appreciated and we have taken good note of your concerns and impressions.

Your kind words about our staff will encourage them to keep on working in the right direction.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back with your family next Christmas.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We visited this hotel end of nov to beginning of December.

Rooms:
The standard rooms are quite nice, though there can be quite a trek to get to your room and the beach/lower pool is a bit of an adventure to get too with all the steps etc, that said you do benefit in some ways with the hotel being spread out as it does make the outside experience less crowded.
Upon arrival we were going to upgrade our room however the upgrades to junior suite and master suite would probably be disappointing for many!
Of the 3 rooms we looked at including the one we were in the balcony views were nothing to get excited about.
Food:
This was one area the hotel I think really let itself down, however in mitigation I will say I think the level of occupancy was low when we stayed which possibly didn't help...
Breakfast - was ok, quite a bit of choice however the full English attempt was pretty horrendous. I think if they are going to offer an English breakfast they could do it properly with English bacon, sausages, mushrooms etc.
Dinner - we had mixed experiences with dinner which given the prices and level of hotel was disappointing. The restaurant on the beach la hacienda was all round the best and it's probably the best value! The worst experience was in the buffet restaurant which was pretty bad, though the restaurant was very under occupied which will not have helped with the food turnover, that said my sea bass fillet was full of bones and I did witness some poor practice with regard to food rotation (new food being put on top of old food) which given it was quiet was not acceptable. There were also some temperature issues with the food both in the buffet and hacienda.
Half board - my firs piece of advice is DON'T DO IT, we were offered it on arrival for £70 per day. Not worth it! We didn't spend £70 per day and we mainly ate in the hotel restaurants and mainly ate items that half board people would have had to pay a supplement for! The hotel needs to reduce its half board pricing to make it attractive, I think £50 per couple would be my limit.

Service:
I think it's worth finishing on a high as the hotel did redeem itself with its service. It wasn't perfect, as someone else has commented you don't necessarily get the time you pay for with the massages etc in the spa but that aside all staff were very helpful and friendly. More to the point, the hotel managers listened to our complaints and appeared to take them seriously.

With better food and a better room placement we may well have awarded five stars, however the mediocre room placement and poor food are the primary reason for 3 stars.
We will however be returning in the hope of getting a better room and a better food experience!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Allan P

Dear Client,

Thank you for posting your comments in Tripadvisor.

We are sorry to read that our rooms and food services did not meet your expectations during your stay. Your feedback help us to improve our services and quality standards.
Please, be so kind to contact us in advance for your next reservation in order to book a room according to your preferences.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We have been to the this hotel for the last two years, me and the family love it, the hotel is 5 star the evening entertainment is very good. the biggest let down is the quality of the food its not like 5 star dining at all, this was the same story the first time and i thought it was bad luck but it was just the same second time round.The beach club at lunch time is fantastic live music good atmosphere but the food is a bit of a let down and when your paying £15000.00 for two weeks ( inc spends ) in a small room with little sea view.For us they have priced them selves out of the market. Apart from the food and price its one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at so may return one day! ps Try the sani village hotel ( greece ) for half the price, the food and rooms are truley 5 star going back to bahia del duque. ( when you charge top dollar and want to get away with it , you cannot serve warm white wine with average food.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mcdonaldLeeds

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment about your stay at Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort.

We sincerely apologize if we have not met your expectations regarding our Food and Beverage Service. Your opinion is mostly appreciated and we will do our best to improve every day.

We are glad to know that the evening entertainment was to your liking.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again in our Resort.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We spent a week from the 19th – 26th December.
Pros:
• Great location – right on the sea front where the promenade has been developed into a great walking/running front. 10 minutes walk into the shops and restaurants of Fanabe
• Décor and layout and feel of overall hotel is definitely 5*. It is stunning. Beautiful gardens, settings and the staff are mostly in traditional outfits which adds to the atmosphere.
• We had an ocean view room – which was plentifully spacious enough for the 3 of us, nicely decorated and kept very clean. We had to move after 2 nights due to a baby next door and the staff were super helpful and it was no issue
• The spa is the best I have ever been too – beautifully created, nicely decorated, fantastic thermal pools and brilliant therapists – I had a facial and 2 massages – one outdoors which was fun. They use Espa products – quality! There were some special offers on for the spa to attract custom- which were much appreciated!
• The staff were all amazing and so kind to our son
• The kids club is free and open from 10-6 – lots to do and lovely ladies running it.
• The pools are interesting – the kids one is warm and perfect for young ones for fun and practicising swimming; the others included a freezing cold salt water pool and slightly warmer normal pool (would love it if it was heated a little more!) and done in a nice setting
• The sunbathing / sunlounger facilities were good quality and plentiful
Cons:
• Food – is disappointing for a 5* hotel. We went for the Oriental night in the buffet, paid 56 euros per adult (and just escaped the 27 euros for our 4 year old son) and it was like having a very poor Chinese takeaway – sloppy, not tasty, not enough variety. We thought there would be Thai, Chinese, Japanese etc. The breakfast buffet has a lot of variety but not the best quality – the cakes were stale as was the cereal, the coffee was often luke warm and the hot food didn’t always look appetising. On the positive side - the donuts are amazing as is the chocolate fountain and the eggs counter. Also the fruit is plentiful – which we could take away for during the day. There are a lot of good restaurants nearby within walking either up in Fanabe or just outside in a small complex along the promenade which are either better quality of better value. The Ganges Indian restaurant in Fanabe was great.
There are plenty of different types of restaurant in the hotel – Italian, tapas, buffet, café, etc. If they could get the cost and quality right – this would be the icing on the cake.
• The cost per night doubled from the 24th – shame as we would have stayed longer.
• Evening entertainment was disappointing especially for over xmas – the band on xmas night was shockingly bad. There were some nice touches for xmas (outside of the night time entertainment) eg for the kids Santa came to give pressies and a there was a real live nativity. Santa served champagne on xmas day to all adults at the pools plus sweets for kids. We received a gift in the room for a few days running over the main xmas days which was a lovely touch.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is lovely - but make sure you are in one high enough. We were in 309 which was spaci...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank thesinclairs24

Dear client,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the Tripadvisor Community.

We are very glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay at Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort.

It will be a pleasure to see you again enjoying a relaxing stay.

Best regards from sunny Tenerife.