“Our stay in end of March 2014”

Hotel Suite Villa Maria
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Our stay in end of March 2014”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A resort that made every effort to make our stay as relaxed as it can be with a 2 year old boy :-)

After booking I mentioned to reception my need for WIFI in the room due to work emails etc and they put in a wireless router so we had a super strong signal. My thoughts are that we were most likely the only guests that week who had this and whilst that was great for us I wonder what other people staying thought to having to go to reception for a signal. We also hired a DVD player.

The pool was immaculately clean as was the maids service in the Villas, daily and they were really polite and excellent. Perhaps the pool could have been warmer in the earlier parts of the season as it was cold at points which was disappointed. Breakfast was fine but the coffee was awful. The service at breakfast and the staff were really attentive with our child and made us feel relaxed. We ate most evenings at the villa having purchased really nice ingredients from a very large supermarket nearby which was really useful also.

As long as we get a similar positioned Villa and a router guarantee in the room, we will most likely book next year as its a really easy commute, pretty much hot weather every single day in March, clean, quiet and great for young kids to play safely in a secure environment.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a villa away from the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Mª Victoria G, Director General at Hotel Suite Villa Maria, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear guest,

First, from the Hotel Suite Villa María we would like to thank you for having chosen our property as the hotel for your retreat. We appreciate you have taken your time to write your feedback about your experience.

I´m really happy to see that you could have a really good wifi signal for your work, as this is now one of our main goals.

Your suggestions will help us out to improve the service we provide to our guest. We consider our hotel a family friendly hotel where children can enjoy and have fun during the time you stay in one of our suites.

We are looking forward to see you again soon, please contact us to organize your next stay in Tenerife, to turn it into an unforgettable experience.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Czech first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Why such a low review for such a highly ranked hotel? Three main reasons:
1. Health and safety
2. Customer care
3. Security

Let me explain in full. In my experience there are two sides to Villa Maria. If nothing goes wrong then you will have an excellent experience.

The breakfast is the best I have ever had as the Parma ham, smoked salmon and every kind of cheese, meat, fruit and pastries was in plentiful supply. Even a glass of Moët was served should you wish to be very indulgent.

The villa was beautiful, the pool idyllic and the front of house staff were helpful. It was quiet, plenty of comfortable sun loungers and there were so few people staying while we were there that you often were the only person swimming in the main pool.

The air conditioning was poor considering the high quality of the accommodation. We arrived at 2am and the upstairs bedroom was 27 degrees. It took nearly 24 hours to lower to an acceptable level but as long as you left the AC on and the upstairs door shut then it was ok.

Be aware that the cleaning staff open all the windows and doors when they clean every day and they often did not lock them again. They were pushed to but not locked. Twice we found our security compromised with downstairs doors and windows open on our return when we had locked them ourselves. Someone we met at the pool had 2 phones stolen from an unlocked door so we became super vigilant after that.

We travelled with 2 sporty boys aged 18 and 20 who made good use of the gym. The squash court was too hot to use most of the time but most days we went across to the T3 sports centre opposite to play padel tennis. These facilities are olympic standard and plentiful and we didn't need to book.

Taxis are everywhere and reasonable. We went to the safari centre at playa de las Americas 3 nights and ate at restaurants on the upper floor by the big fountain. We ate at blancos twice as the food was outstanding.

On our last day we used reception to book the adjacent 9 hole golf course. We checked all the necessary details to ensure we would be able to play without golf shoes, clubs or handicaps. When we turned up for our 6pm booking were we were told we needed golf shoes, our own clubs, a handicap and besides all that we were too late for our 5pm booking. Sigh!

But why such a low rating? Well I'll explain and then you can decide yourself.

We had a jacuzzi villa (number 44) which was a treat I was particularly looking forward to and it was indeed lovely. The first time we used it one of our boys complained that he had got a rash on his elbow and his chest (he was in for about 15 mins). We couldn't understand how this happened as 3 of us had used it and only he had a rash. Move on a couple of nights and all 4 of us sat in the jacuzzi for probably an hour each of us propped up with our elbows over the side and with me in a similar position to where our boy had been previously. Shortly afterwards my elbow starts hurting and it gets progressively worse until it's really burning. Touching it against anything is really painful and I struggle to sleep. The next morning it's very clear that I have 3 red raw welts on my arm which correspond exactly to the white plastic drain around the edge of the jacuzzi. The skin has come off my elbow and it looks and feels like a chemical burn. I inspect the jacuzzi and pick up the edge of the plastic drain where I get a kind of white residue on my fingers. Rubbing my fingers it feels rough so I rinse my fingers in the water and my skin feels slimy, just like it does when you get bleach on your skin.

We think about our son's rash and this now makes sense in terms of where he was sitting and why he had a rash on one elbow. He had also reached over the side from within the jacuzzi which explains the irritation on his chest.

It seems very obvious to us that someone has used something to clean the stains off the plastic - there are brown marks on it - some cleaning fluid such as bleach, probably thinking they were doing a good thing only they hadn't washed it off properly on one section. At this stage it's not a big deal, stuff happens and people make mistakes. It is painful and irritating but my main concern was that our jacuzzi be cleaned properly and that whoever thought this was a good idea is aware of the dangers so they don't do it again. There were lots of toddlers and small children at the hotel and what if one of them had sat in that patch to get an injury like mine? It's not good and it needed dealing with.

We took this to the manager of the hotel who said that chemicals are not used on the jacuzzi but he would pay for cream if I went to the doctors. Frankly I didn't want to spend a couple of hours seeking out a doctor to get some cream and I had no interest in getting a medical report that would simply say that something had caused massive irritation to my skin. I showed him the welts on my arm, clearly in 3 stripes and quite frankly there was no other explanation. He said he would look into it and that was it. No concern or apology, no acceptance of responsibility, nothing!

We think it's a poor response to something we feel is quite serious but we figured he'll look into it and come back to us. The day passes with no word as to whether the jacuzzi is now safe to use so we check at reception to find the manager has gone home and no one knows anything. Very poor customer care!

The next morning my husband goes to see the manager to be told that no chemicals were used, they denied any responsibility, argued that there was even an issue saying that not everyone was affected. On my husbands objection he picked up the phone saying he wanted a doctor to see me. I fail to see how a doctor could any more to the obvious fact that I had an injury. We had no interest in suing we just wanted a clean and safe jacuzzi and to enjoy our holiday. Feeling extremely frustrated and disappointed my husband said that he would not be happy to pay for the cost of the jacuzzi which the manager reluctantly agreed to as long as they could put a cover over it. So having used the jacuzzi 3 times and received injuries twice we didn't have to pay for that pleasure.

Later that day someone was sent to check the temperature of the jacuzzi so we explained that it was not a heat burn but a chemical burn. We pointed out the area that we knew to be a problem and he said he'd go back and speak to his manager. Shortly after a lid was put over it. For the next 3 days I couldn't put my elbow down on anything including the rather lush sun beds which had very handy arm rests for reading your book.

What did I want to happen? Really, what I expected to happen was that they would say they were really sorry it had happened, they would scrub the plastic around the jacuzzi to clean off whatever was on there to cause this, that they would ensure all other jacuzzis were cleaned immediately and they would talk to staff to ensure they understood the consequences of using cleaning fluids. It would also have been nice, and in line with 5 star customer service, to have been offered some kind of nominal compensation, anything from a bottle of wine to a discount on the holiday (more than not paying for the jacuzzi) would have been a gesture we would have appreciated. Instead we were treated badly and the issue was not taken seriously, no one cleaned the jacuzzi, the problem was literally covered up. If you are staying in villa 44 and the brown stains are still on the white plastic around the jacuzzi then it probably still hasn't been cleaned properly.

We didn't report the security issues as I'm sure we would have been told that the cleaners always lock all the windows and doors. Yeah right!

I will also upload some photos of the jacuzzi and the injury to my arm.

12 Thank kathdawson
Mª Victoria G, General Manager at Hotel Suite Villa Maria, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for letting us know about your last stay at the Hotel Suite Villa María, every feedback from our guests help us to improve our daily service and quality standards.

We are happy to see you found the hotel facilities and gastronomy as one of your best holiday experiences before and to read that you and your family had a great time in Tenerife.

However, we really regret about your incident with the jacuzzi of your villa. I´d like to emphasize that the health & safety of our guests, hygiene and comfort is our daily main goal and we work strongly each day to offer our guest a 5-star service and quality. We had never had any similar case at our hotel from its opening, so we immediately hired an independent laboratory to analyze all possible elements of your villa and all the jacuzzis of the resort, in order to know what may happened in your jacuzzi, but we can assure you that we are very serious, strict and we will spare no expense to ensure the comfort, hygiene and safety of our guests. I´ll be more than happy to inform you about the results of these laboratories as soon as we receive them.

We welcome your comments and hope to receive you again very soon in Tenerife, please, contact us to organise your next stay at the hotel Suite Villa María, in which I hope to meet you personally.

Thanks and very best regards,

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have just returned from the Villa Maria Suites having stayed there with our two boys aged 2 and 4 and my parents.
First impressions were very good - the reception area and courtyard is spacious and inviting and staff were waiting on arrival to help with our bags, check us in and take us via golf buggy to our villas.
We stayed in villa 43 and 42 (a 1 bed and a 2 bed) which overlooked the top swimming pool. We found the cleanliness on arrival and during our stay to be superb both throughout the villas and in fact, the whole complex. Our kitchen was small but had enough equipment for our purposes. The bedrooms were roomy and the beds very comfortable. We used the air con throughout the nights which kept the bedrooms at a nice temperature for the children. The garden/terrace area was lovely - great views and enough space to allow the children to play with nice comfortable seating for the grown ups.
Breakfast each day was superb, we were spoilt for choice and often lingered for an hour or so, relaxing and enjoying the views of the mountains. We ate at the pool bar a handful of times, more so when feeding the children. The food was good although a more varied light menu would have been nice.
We found all staff throughout the complex to be extremely friendly, polite and helpful without exception. We were made to feel very welcomed and that nothing was too much trouble. Any requests, be it an extra stairgate or a room service order, were responded to quickly and efficiently.
The complex itself was suitable for young children. They loved the playground which was safe and well maintained and the pools which appeared very clean. They were on the cold side but seemed to warm up as the week went on (or maybe we just got used to them!). The playroom was fine, limited toys although they did entertain our two. However the room itself, whilst appearing to be clean, did smell strongly (possibly the toilets?) which was quite off putting.
The grown ups liked the table tennis, squash courts and mini golf - plus the nice areas around the courtyard to relax with a cold drink.
We did find the complex quiet. Breakfast was fairly bustling but there were only ever a handful of people at the pool or in the playground. This isn't the place to come for those wanting lots of activities but we wanted peace and relaxation and for this, it's perfect.
We ate a number of times in La Caleta (a nice stroll downhill but a tough walk back up a steep hill although our 4 year old managed it, albeit slowly!) and all meals were good, particularly the Italian near the playground.
We caught the free minbus to Costa Adeje beach which is lovely, shallow waters were great for the boys (when the jellyfish had left!) and pretty surroundings for adults. Two loungers and an umbrella were 16 Euros which us and others all found to be far, far too much but a lovely beach nevertheless.
We were looking for a complex with the flexibility of self catering with the benefits of a hotel and definitely found that in the Villa Maria. A pretty setting, lovely staff and great facilities - we hope to return!

1 Thank Sarah B
Mª Victoria G, General Manager at Hotel Suite Villa Maria, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing the Hotel Suite Villa María for your holidays. It was a great pleasure for us to have you at our property and we hope you have enjoyed your family stay with us

We are glad to see you have taken time to share your opinion with us and to read that everything fulfilled your expectations.

We are looking forward to seeing you very son in our property with your family.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed in June with 2 grand kids and their parents.We stayed next door in a 2 level villa.Approx 5metre sq terrace with sun beds and patio furniture, kitchen with stainless steel kettle,toaster,coffee perc. ,cutlery,dishes microwave,large fridge,everything you would need.Large lounge with sofa ,tables etc plasma t.v with 60 odd channels ,but only a few English and a toilet and shower.Tiled staircase led to toilet ,shower , bath and a large bedroom with balcony .great views over the bay. The Villa Maria has been designed with thought.There are 2 large pools,with a waterfall between them,plenty of sun beds.The gardens are a delight with lizards running through the rocks and plenty of colour. There are 78 villas,but it was quiet,the hotel is spacious with play areas for the kids,squash court,gym ,table tennis and a pool table all spread out .The breakfast is superb,buffet style , vast range of food and friendly waiters.The shop is small meaning a 800m trek down and back up a steep hill to a small supermarket for some products,where there are a few restaurants. It has a decent restaurant,but men need to wear long trousers,a good bar and pool cafe.Free bus to a sandy beach(sun beds 19 euros) where there are more shops. The Villas are comfortable,friendly,great for our young grand kids ,a bit isolated ,but their is plenty to do.

Room Tip: We had villa 42,great views and easy access.
1 Thank B4379XBmichaelb
Mª Victoria G, General Manager at Hotel Suite Villa Maria, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Hotel Suite Villa María for your holidays. It was a great pleasure for us having you at our property. We are also happy to read that the Villa where you stayed pleased your needs. Specially we are so happy you have found the property as a child friendly hotel and to see your whole family enjoyed the stay.

We are glad to know that we met your expectations and we look forward to welcome you back in a near future. I´d like to let you know that we offer a special animation program for children in summer, to make the youngests enjoy even more in our hotel.

London
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We chose this resort as you get the best of both worlds: A villa, so that our 20 month old could have his own room, and so we could self cater, combined with hotel facilities, hotel breakfast (top notch) and daily housekeeping which was very much appreciated.

The villas are a very good quality, spacious, and we had a great 180 degree sea and mountain view. There are a few things that need improving:

1. Couldn't lock the door from the inside so our toddler could open the door whenever he chose to and head off down the path! He clocked on to this within minutes. Apparently it's for fire safety, but if he had been sleeping in a bed rather than a cot I would have had to sleep by the door in fear of him wandering off in the night.

2. The astro turf grass gets very very hot in direct sun. So if you have a crawler keep this in mind especially in the playground.

3. The step in our villa garden from the astro turf to the patio had a really sharp edge on which our son cut his shin.

4. The showers have low pressure and took quite a while to heat up.

5. The air con never worked properly (Vila 64) so we struggled with heat at night.

6. If you like to cook like you do at home (as my husband does), you may find the kitchen limiting as only 2 electric rings on the hob. It's not really a kitchen designed for true self catering. Fridge was a good size even if like the knife draw it was the perfect height for our toddler to access (we quickly moved the knives as our son had one out the draw in 3 mins of being in the villa!).

7. Would have been very useful to have a retractable washing line.

The communal areas themselves are lovely, although the pools are quite cool still especially for a young child.

Our son fell face first off the swing as the clip in plastic barrier (poor design) was split. He cut his lip and grazed his forehead. We told reception but we found out from another guest that the same thing had happened the day before to their little girl. The hotel should have acted immediately after that incident.

The play room was very useful, but the toys are a little tired now..and the toilets always smelled.

The restaurant menu is indeed limited, luckily we weren't relying on it. Food quality is good though.

We are being super critical mainly from a parenting viewpoint, as on the whole it is very good and we had a great holiday!

A couple of pointers: la Caleta is more of a walk than described especially coming back. The shop on site is closed Mondays (was a pain as that was the day we arrived so had no where to get water or milk). It's also very over priced and the fresh produce was half rotten. So make sure you really do stock up at the supermarket if you are going self catering...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mª Victoria G, General Manager at Hotel Suite Villa Maria, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing the Hotel Suite Villa María for your holidays. It is a great pleasure for us having you at our property and we hope you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We are glad to see you have taken time to share your opinion whit us and we regret to hear you have had these inconveniences during your stay. However, we really appreciate you for sending us your suggestions. We always take seriously the suggestions and advices from our guests to try to improve our service and facilities to get your stay more enjoyable. We are already working in these improvements and we trust that in your next stay you will be able to feel that.

We are looking forward to seeing you next time in our property with your family and your little one.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Still here now. Villas are lovely, staff really helpful and the champagne breakfast is outstanding. Free shuttles twice a day into Duque which again is lovely and only a small walk to Playa Fanabe. The hotel even booked our excursions. Will definitely come back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mª Victoria G, General Manager at Hotel Suite Villa Maria, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Hotel Suite Villa María for your holidays. It is a great pleasure for us having you at our property and we hope you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We really appreciate you have taken time to give us your feedback while you are staying in the hotel and it is great to know that you had time to rest and to discover all the hotel’s areas during your stay and the services and features we offer.

We are looking forward to you keep enjoying the stay with us and to welcome you back very soon at the Hotel Suite Villa María.

Elgin - Scotland
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in March and loved it so much that we had to return in June!

The weather was beautiful, the 3 bedroomed villa (17) was again fantastic.

The staff really do make this place, faultless, helpful and so very pleasing to us, each one remembered us from March and all the same personnel were still employed.

Golf carts can be requested to pick you up just by calling reception and room service is delivered via the same method. Many an evening we spent enjoying fillet steak by our private pool.

I don't want to post anything negative at all because this place is so good but if I had the choice.. I would make breakfast table service and not buffet.. Buffet's are not 5 star in our opinion. We chose to make breakfast in our villa.

Food overall was very good, traditional canarian and we enjoyed it, eating on resort every lunch & dinner.

The cocktails at the Bar Plaza were fantastic also.

Such a lovely place, no hassles, quiet feeling even if full and we will be back later this year.

So a huge thank you to each and every member of staff from reception to pool bar, plaza bar, restaurant, porters and cleaning staff. There was a genuine tear in my eye as we left Hotel Suites Villa Maria.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Glen_10
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us at the Hotel Suite Villa María. It was a pleasure for us having you in our property for second time.

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the villa that we carefully prepared for you. Especially we are so happy to read that you have been delighted for the service, our friendly and attentive staff.

It is always a pleasure for us to welcome you again at the hotel and to turn your holiday again into unforgettable days of rest and fun at the same time.

We will take seriously your suggestions regarding a la carte breakfast, thanks for letting us know.

We are looking forward to see you back soon in the Hotel Suite Villa María.