“Lacking in style and atmosphere - one for the older crowd”

Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Costa Adeje
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 March 2011

My first impression of the hotel was one of disappointment on entering the reception. I had viewed the hotel a couple of years ago, and it was definitely more faded this time round. I expected Hercule Poirot art deco, but the hotel was much more lack lustre than I anticipated.

Rooms
Need a little updating. Beds comfortable and rooms well furnished. Bathroom a bit 80's, and the white plastic footstool and laundry bin (I think!) took up far too much space in the toilet. We had a ground floor room overlooking the mini golf, and because it was unseasonably humid during our stay it wasn't very pleasant to sit on the balcony as it was very enclosed.

Pool area and gardens
These were lovely, although a bit crowded. There is a large terrace a little was from the pool area and overlooking the sea, which was lovely. The sun-beds were really comfortable and are provided with towels and a mattress cover which you are able to change daily. The pool temperature was amazing - it was like stepping into a warm bath. There is also a colder pool, if you need to cool down.

Restaurants
I only had bed and breakfast and this was fairly mediocre. I was really disappointed as standards were more akin to an average 4 star rather than a 5 star. There's a nice terraced area to enjoy the outdoors, although this tended to get busy during peak times. Pool bars are also disappointing; the best of the bunch is the pool bar overlooking the sea for pizza or salad for lunch.

This hotel is clearly popular with the older crowd and there is the predictable night time entertainment which is difficult to get away from as the electric keyboard starts playing around 6pm. I found the hotel lacking in atmosphere and slightly pretentious.

The surrounding area
In my view Costa Adeje has gone downhilll - until of course you experience the "delights" of Playa de las Americas. Then I felt relieved to be where I was. Coeur de fillet is a nice restaurant, which is about 10 mins walk away.

We were unable to keep our room on the last day, despite offering to pay. The hotel was full so we were offered a courtesy room. My advice if you are offered this is: don't bother. The facilities are appalling. They were hot, dirty, and full of cigarette ends and other peoples' debris. We decided to shower in the facilities near the pool area. For a hotel clearly concerned with its presentation, this has to be bad for its brand.

Overall the hotel has 5 star intentions, but 4 star appeal.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sparklegirl75
Jefe-de-reservas, Director General at Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2011

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor.com. We are sad to know that you were not happy with your stay. It is very difficult to reach all clients expectations, but we do our best and we work hard for that. Sorry for being unable and thank you for choosing Jardines de Nivaria Hotel for your 2011 Tenerife Holidays.

Reviewed 7 March 2011

Recommended by a much loved Aunt who had had afternoon tea here when the hotel first opened we were truly happy with our choice. The hotel was 5 star from arrival, through out our luxury stay and easy, relaxed departure. Happy to recommend for holiday or business

1  Thank mailbox6
Jefe-de-reservas, Director General at Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2011

Thank you for your comments on tripavisor.com. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to reach your expectations. Offering you always our best attention, please do not hesitate to contact us for your room preferences.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

Our third visit was as delightful as other occasions. The sun shone and we totally relaxed around the pool, where the heated pool is at a perfect temperature. We found the staff helpful with a change of room which suited us much better. It is a pleasure to stay in such a scrupulously clean hotel, all staff work very hard to keep it in this order - well done all! We were half-board and always found something on the menu to suit our tastes. Only one or two niggles, but we were invited to have a drink with Ana, the Director of Operations to discuss our third return visit and when I mentioned the soup wasn't hot, that very evening the problem had been rectified - all with a smile and concern. Thank you Ana, it was a pleasure to meet you and confims our thoughts of an excellently run hotel with a true family feeling. My husband and I love dancing and enjoyed the Bands each evening. On our last night a gift was left on our bed to honour our third visit, which was greatly appreciated. Thank you, We have returned home to rain but we have a sunny disposition!

2  Thank Paulina02

Thank you very much for your comments on tripadvisor.com and for choosing again the Jardines de Nivaria Hotel for your Tenerife holidays. We are glad to know that you enjoyed so much your stay with us. This is our best reward. Your kind words encourage us a lot and show us the proper way forward. We will inform Ana about your nice words.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us for your next stay. It will be a pleasure for us and we assure you our best attention at all time.

Reviewed 24 February 2011

Decided to change room and this was arranged well for us.All the staff were helpful and polite.All hotel areas were kept very clean.Plenty of places to eat locally and the hotel breakfast buffet was very good as was the dining by the pool.Hotel pool just like a hot bath temperature and there was never a problem to get a sunbed.We would return.

1  Thank hotdogl37

We would like to thank you for leaving your comments on tripadvisor.com. The opinion of our guests is very important for us to grow up with their expectations, improving service and installations.
We are glad that we met your expectations and we hope to welcome you again; we will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed 16 February 2011

This is my 5th stay at the Jardines de Nivaria and whilst I would still rate it as excellent and probably the finest Hotel on the island, I left feeling a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I will always stay here when visiting Tenerife as it is a very well run hotel with excellent facilities. My review of 12 months ago details fully my feelings about this Hotel so to avoid being repetitive, I have decided to highlight the best and worst things about my latest 2 week stay in February 2011.

+++BEST THINGS+++

*Fantastic customer service and support prior to my booking/arrival. Emails answered more or less immediately by Mrs. Reme Jurado who was extremely efficient and helpful. Room that I requested was allocated which was really appreciated.
*Excellent check-in. There was a massive improvement in this regard since last year. I was dealt with in a highly professional and efficient manner. Room was available straight away so no hanging around. Check-in agent was brilliant.
*Beautiful, well maintained gardens and facilities.
*Fantastic breakfast and service - first class in every aspect.
*Staff (on the whole) pleasant, smiling and very helpful.
*Well appointed spacious room with complimentary cava/fruit bowl in room on arrival.
*Housekeeping - superb. The room was kept spotlessly clean with a nightly turndown service and bedtime chocolate :-)
*Spa was first class. Excellent treatments by wonderful staff.
*Thank you gift on departure - lovely touch and very much appreciated.
*Courtesy room provided on day of departure from noon to 5pm free of charge.
*Efficient porters who were always on hand with luggage needs.
*Very low staff turnover which is indicative of the way with which the management value their staff. Always the same staff year on year which speaks volumes.

+++WORST THINGS+++
*No advance warning of the substantial refurbishment works in the ADEJE building - constant building work, drilling and hammering throughout the day.
*The constant scraping and banging from directly above my allocated room in TAGANANA building was unbearable and constant. Not sure if this was inconsiderate guests or as I suspect, more refurbishment work but really spoiled the whole stay.
*The food/service at La Cascada restaurant was appalling. The staff were unfriendly, inefficient and inattentive. The food was very poor and a real disappointment. What has happened since last year? Only dined in the Hotel once as a result.
*Please consider providing tea/coffee making facilities and iron/ironing board in each room - it really would make a massive improvement for all guests. A true 5 star should have these as standard.
*On asking about the provision of a courtesy room the day before departure, I was dealt with by a very rude member of staff who told me that my room was allocated to a new guest and to check in morning. She was very abrupt and unprofessional - I felt like she was talking down to me and could not have cared less.
*The service in the Bar on the ground floor of the main building is poor. There appear to be lots of staff but they never seem to be doing anything. The service was slow and the staff appear disinterested/grumpy. If you must provide a bill after every drink, please provide a pen too so it can be signed to the room at the end rather than having to wait ages to attract the attention of a waiter to provide one!
*Certain communal areas are in need of refurbishment.
*The Hotel appears to be aimed at guests in their twilight years and as a result, the activities/events are aimed at them with ballroom dancing, pianists, violinists and the like etc which is a shame as any younger clientelle cannot enjoy the Hotel as they should. A fair proportion of the elderly guests are very demanding, rude and appear to view younger people as invaders from another planet - we have red blood too! They monopolise the time of the staff and as a result, others sufffer.

This Hotel is quite rightly rated as the number one hotel in the Costa Adeje. It is very well managed and run and a great deal of thought has been put into every aspect of the Hotel and its facilities. On the whole the staff are wonderful and this contributed to an excellent holiday. Dont be put off by the bad points - these are just observations of my stay which I know the Hotel will note and deal with appropriately. I would never stay anywhere else and look forward to visiting later in the year.

4  Thank TheHotelInspector1

Thank you very much for your comments on tripadvisor.com. It is really nice to read that you enjoyed again your stay with us. We take your criticism as a opportunity to improve our services and to grow up with your expectations. Thank you again for your time and, please, do not forget to send us your rooms preferences for your next stay; you will notice some improvements.

Reviewed 15 February 2011

We have just arrived back for this hotel after a 10 night stay. First of all I have to say that I don't think that it is up to the standard of a 5 star hotel. We have stayed in many 4/5 star hotels in Asia and the Middle East and I would suggest that they were all a lot better than Jardines de Nivaria.
On the plus side, the rooms were ok, the bathroom was little on the small side. The bed however was very comfortable. We would have liked a coffee maker in the room. We did ask twice but didn't get one delivered even though we told that we could have one. The breakfast was very good with a great choice. Most of the staff were ok but I found the staff on the desk less than friendly. The hotel wasn't cheap and quite frankly I expected it to be better all round. The pool area was nice and there were plenty of beds even though many had been reserved hours before they were used, contrary to management policy, sadly no-one from the hotel carried out the threat to remove towels from pre-resevered beds. Our prime reason for going was to get some winter sun and luckily we got that.

1  Thank TorchyPyrford
Jefe-de-reservas, Director General at Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2011

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor.com. We are sad to know that we were unable to fulfil your expectations. European hotels can not be compared with hotels in Asia, but your criticism will help us to improve services and installations. Thanking you again for your time you took to inform about your experiences, we remain with
kind regards.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we had a marvellous week. The reception was effieicent and friendly and the general ambience of the hotel's public areas is excellent. We chose the half board option and the catering was of the standard which you would expect in a 5 star hotel. We liked the fact that you were not tied to a specific time or table in the restaurant which suited us very well. The garden and pool areas are very well appointed and the only slight quibble is that in the poolside restaurant the service was a bit rushed on the Sunday morning we were there, on other days it was fine. Access to the sea front is via a conveniently located lift and the gate is opened with your pass key. All in all a most enjoyable stay and we look forward to going back at some time in the future.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your nice words about your stay at Jardines de Nivaria Hotel. We are very gald to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to met your expectations. We hope to welcome you again very soon; we will be more than happy to assist you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Adeje
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Iberostar Anthelia
Iberostar Anthelia
#5 of 60 in Costa Adeje

Been to Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles? Share your experiences!