My husband and I have just returned fro this hotel yesterday.Having travelled with Thomsons for 15 years at a variety of hotels/locations/cruises etc. I am disappointed that for the first time I am having to write a negative review.
On arrival the hotel is very impressive with a long sweeping marble entrance which leads into the main open plan reception/ sofa seating area/bar/entertainment area. It is very clean but very minimalist. This is the only area where you can sit in the hotel apart from aoutside round the pools. The area where the entertainment takes place is in one corner and consists of a large group of plastic chairs at one side of the bar. It is very claustrophobic.
We could not fault our room which was on the 7th floor (as we had asked for a high floor room). It was cleaned daily and there was adequate storage and a fantastic walk-in shower which was a pleasant change from the usual bath with a shower over it. Sleepwise we were fine apart from every night there were thoughtless people coming back to their rooms in the early hours shouting about but that's not the hotel's fault.
The pool area is divided into three areas on three levels so there are a lot of steps to deal with. We liked the highest level where the infinity pool was and it was nice and quiet. Then there was another level with just sun beds on it and finally at the bottom was the heart shaped pool with the bar. If you wanted a drink you had to fetch it yourself all day and there was one man serving at the bar. You might think this was a bit fussy to complain about but where ever we've gone this has always happened and you are on hliday after all. Who wants to go down two flights of steps to get a drink when you've just got out of the pool?
NOW ON TO THE FOOD !!! Firstly you had to go into the restaurant on the 1st floor for lunch or have a prepacked sandwich from a fridge at the side of the pool bar - there was no menu or option to have a bar snack by the pool so you had to time when you went into the pool so you weren't wet through when you went into the restaurant. Secondly they served the same menu for lunch that they later served for dinner and it got tedious!!!! There was a range of salads and various mixtures of cold vegetables, potato salad in mayonnaise etc., pizza, spaghetti bolognaise sauce that was just in a big banmarie and they warmed a spoonful up in a frying pan with some spaghetti when you wanted it, always a big pan of paella on the go, fish or chicken or some tough meat they either called pork or steak fillet or if you wanted a burger it was veal. If that had been just the lunch menu we could have put up with it but it was the same at night!! As for sweets it was always a few little squares of different colour sponges, fresh fruit or icecream. I have to say the icecream was very good.
To sum up we loved costa adeje as a place but decided that if we had booked the luaby hotel on a bed and breakfast basis we woudn't have really found fault as there were plenty of cheap restaurants to eat out at each night. I can recommend the Aberdeen Steak House round the corner of the hotel as we ate there one night because we were so fed up of the food at the hotel. You do begrudge having to eat out though when you have paid all-inclusive.
The Luabay is really a 3* hotel and I was astonished to find that as it is the first year that it has been on Thomsons books as a Platinum but the rep told me they based it on the hotels previous guests comments and on what the Luabay chain said they would do to upgrade ti when they took it over last year. To my mind Thomsons shouldn't give it that grade until they hve had at least one years feedback from customers and this experience has taught me that I will never again book a Thomsons Platinum hotel that has not been on their books for at least two years!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HOVIMA Costa Adeje invites you to enjoy your holidays in an exclusive hotel in Playa Fañabé with a full range of services. The Hotel is located next to the beach, in the most beautiful and peaceful area of Costa Adeje. Discover our All Inclusive service as well as our high class rooms which are ideal for sophisticated guests with great expectations. Relaxation and comfort is what you can expect from your stay at HOVIMA Costa Adeje in Playa Fañabé. Enjoy the wonderful surroundings and the nature at a one of a kind location. HOVIMA Costa Adeje is exclusive for adults, minimum 16 years old (accompanied at least by an adult with more than 18 years). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), HotelQuickly, Stayforlong S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your HOVIMA Costa Adeje reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luabay Costa Adeje Hotel Costa Adeje
- Esmeralda Hotel Tenerife
- HOVIMA Costa Adeje Tenerife