“NOT A 4 STAR PLATINUM”

Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in Costa Adeje
falkirk
“NOT A 4 STAR PLATINUM”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Just returned from a 2 week holiday to this hotel which is in the perfect location, but have to say the hotels 303 rooms were fully booked and this reflected in the dining hall when it seemed all 600 plus residents appeared to descend at meal times, all at once, with only one grill working, therefore the queues soon formed. also the lifts were not up to coping with this amount of people as they were slow and hot and we met many people giving up and using the stairs. food was a bit repetitive and a bit tasteless. air condition could have been better. would I return to this hotel ? NO

Room Tip: rooms do not have enough storage space
4 Thank cloudsurfer
Administradors, Team Luabay at HOVIMA Costa Adeje, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We hope you had a relaxing holiday. Your feedback about the food and the lifts will be forwarded to the responsible department and looked into in order to find ways of improvement. We are glad to inform you that the air-conditioning has been fixed and is now working perfectly again. Thank you for being our guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,173)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
east sussex,
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed for a week at the Luabay from 20th to 27th September.
Reception was fine with no problems, never had to pay extra at a Thomsons Premier hotel to use the safe in your room before though, 27 euros of which 10 you get back when returning the key.
We were in room 614, which had an excellent view over the swimming pools and the sea (we didnt pay extra for a sea view)
The room itself was fine although there is a lack of drawer space, just three small ones, there were plenty of hangars though.
Other people have mentioned how easy it is to flood the bathroom when using the shower and it will if you have it on full power, just turn it down a bit and it will be fine. (the problem is the waste water doesn't flow away fast enough)
The air conditioning in the room is not the most powerful, but if you leave it on all day the room is nice and cool when you come back.

The restaurant is one area that does need improving, compared to other Thomsons hotels we have stayed in it definitely has a smaller choice of food.

The breakfast is fine with all the usual choices, with a few odd ones thrown in such as broccoli and chips! If you like fresh fruit juice with your breakfast you will be disappointed, it comes out of a machine and tastes like watered down squash.

The choices at lunch and dinner are pretty much the same, there is always pizza, pasta station and paella available plus a choice of a couple of meats.
The queues can get quite long at busy times due to a lack of staff. As an example they have just one person making the pasta to order as well as making the pizzas.
There is also a lack of waiting staff, so be prepared to wait a while before they come to ask what drink you would like or clear you plates. Also some of them are not that friendly.
There is also no air conditioning in the restaurant so it can get a bit sticky in there.
We only stayed a week but I could see why anyone staying two weeks would end up eating out by the second week, even though its fully inclusive.
As has been mentioned in previous reviews there are a lot of chipped and cracked crockery in use, just make sure to check when picking it up. I also saw a German guest going through the coffee cups and finding at least half a dozen that had been put out without being washed.

The bars are ok, but again a lack of staff means you will have to wait to be served, they never have more than two members of staff serving at one time. (Unusual to see such an orderly queue at a bar!)

The pool areas are fine and kept very clean. Towels are put on the beds early and despite what the hotel or reps may say we never saw any being removed. Most of them are put out from about 7am onwards, which is quite ironic as the sun rises from behind the hotel and so most beds don't even see any sun until about 11am!
We also spent a day on the beach which is nice, it costs 15 euros for two sunbeds and a parasol for the day.

The entertainment team were fine (we didn't participate in their activities during the day, and they would never hassle you, trying to get you to participate)
All the entertainment in the evening is brought in from outside and is of a reasonable quality.
Just a warning about the parrot show though. Before it starts they go around the whole audience with two parrots taking photos. Then another guy comes round and says '20 euros please' (for two photos) as though he automaticly expects you to buy them. We refused as we didnt like his manner and they were too expensive. (The night before at dinner there was a photographer taking photos as you entered the dining room with a couple of girls dressed in a local costume.
The next day at breakfast they were displayed at the entrance to the dining room and there was no pressure to buy them. These we did buy as they were only ten euros for two photos)
One other thing about the parrot show we weren't happy about was that there were a couple of segments of the show where the handler teases the parrots, not something we like to watch.

Overall you will not have a bad holiday experience staying here, it just needs a couple of things done to improve things. The main one being the restaurant service.
If we were to go back to Tenerife we probably wouldn't do all inclusive, there are so many places to eat and drink all along the seafront.

4 Thank Dip1961
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review about your stay. We are glad that you had a good holiday and enjoyed your time at the Luabay Costa Adeje. Your feedback is very much appreciated and will help us improve our service and offer a better experience to our guests. Your complaints about the restaurant and the lack of staff will be passed on to the respective department and will be looked into in more detail. We hope we can welcome you at our hotel again in the future and show you the changes.
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Just arrived home after a short 7 night break, nothing to do with Luabay but Thomson Airways used an old Monarch aircraft both ways....the seating was terrible, ok i've got a wee bit of a tummy but I couldn't get the tray table down as i was so close to the seat in front. and the aircraft was understaffed with a long wait for service...hate this new trend of not having meal . it passedd the time . The hotel public areas were lovely and modern, very clean but I was very disapppointed in the bedroom, initially I thought that the designer should be sued because of the apparent faults. The bedroom and balcony was very small, it overlooked a car park at the back and the constant hum of a generator was always there 24/7. The lighting was pretty poor and there was no mirror over the dressing table for my lady to do her makeup. The TV had the normal three english speaking channels BBC World, Sky News and CNN News... Charge of about 15 euros for safe Wardrobe had sufficient hanging space and hangers (24 of) BUT there were only three small drawers in the wardrobe and no others in the bedroom . Twin beds and no room for another one, even a camp bed.
The bathroom was a real shocker - the lighting was poor and did not illuminate the mirror area suffiicently, there was a small shaving mirror with magnifier on one side BUT it was at a low level which made it difficult to use. Their was no door on the bathroom, it wasn't missing, it wasn't designed to have one. The shower was a tray with no screen or curtain, anyone (maid/maintenance) calling at the bedroom door would be able to see straight into the bathroom - shock horror !!! lol Without a curtain, the floor ended up soaking. Having said that, the shower was the worst I've ever had - it alternated between boiling hot and freezing cold with no happy medium and very low pressure, perhaps deliberate because of the shower tray and no curtain.screen....the washhand basin was a modern shallow style with a mixer tap which only allowed a small amount of water, so no hand washing,of undies possible. it didn't seem to be adjustable in heat, started tepid and got warm., no cold water. After two days it suddenly struck us that we had been allocated a disabled room which accounts for the bathroom faults possibly. I decided not to request another room as the location in relation to the dining room on the first floor was great ! First Choice advertised the room as having a fridge, it certainly had a small cabinet which appeared to be one. I bought fresh milk across the road and put it in the "fridge" turning it down to coldest setting. it didn't do the business as the milk had turned sour within 16 hours and the interior was normal temperature. I reported a missing washhand basin plug to the tour rep and it was replaced within an hour but when i mentioned the non effective "fridge" he said that it wasn't a fridge but a cool box, it wasn't even that. The rest of the hotel was lovely, the dining room was well stocked and we could always find something to eat, although by the end of the week it became repetitive. On checking in, I asked for a late check out room and was told I had to wait to the final day and it would cost 32 euros to keep it until 6pm instead of noon. I called early on the final day and was told there were none available. As we didn't fly out until 1155pm, I spoke to the reception manager and also complained about various faults, he eventually conceded that we should not have been allocated a disabled room and allowed us to keep it! No extra charge because of our inconvenience and room disapointment. Well done Reception Manager.
The three level pool areas were lovely, plently of beds but the usual problem of towels going out early - eventually decided to- when in Rome do as the Romans do - lol.
We've definitely been spoilt by recent holidays in the Caribbean so I won't be going back to Teneriffe and the Luabay..

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a disabled room, first floor rooms are close to the dining room, ours wa...
1 Thank AuldYins
glasgow
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Just arrived home last night from the luabay, so glad I chose to ignore some of the few bad reviews!
On arrival the hotel looked impressive we were given the option of a cold buffet as we arrived late.
The rooms were pretty basic but very clean and tidy, the glass door in the bathroom is not the best idea but not that big a deal.
Pool area is spotless and plenty of sun beds and parasols. We chose to sit at the main pool most of the time and found it had a great atmosphere, the entertainment team was friendly alway chatting to you but never forced you to take part you.
I am a very fussy eater but always managed to have a lovely meal and eggs, pasta and meat are cooked in front of you.
We did 2 excursions with thomsons the boat trip to see the dolphins and mount teide by night both trips were fab and the tour guides spoke very well English.
Overall me and my partner had an amazing holiday and would return to The luabay again.

6 Thank emzstewart
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Well its our last day here, thought I would get this review out now so that I dont forget anything.
This holiday consisted of me and my husband in one room and my 23 year old son in another room all fully inclusive for approximately 600 pound each.

Firstly I have to say, before we left to come here I read some terrible reviews that had just been put on, I was so worried coming out here I felt terrible. Once I got to the hotel all I did was pick fault for a few hours because I was looking through the critical eyes of reviews I had seen on here. It wasnt until my son and husband pointed out that actually the hotel was great and compared it to other hotels we had stayed in, in florida and Lanzarote that I realised this hotel was something good. I think for the first time ever, I have found reviews on here really unhelpful, I was dreading coming out here and we have had a great week, a really lovely holiday.

The hotel: Clean, staff are friendly amazingly good at different languages, there is always at least 1 bar open all the time despite what some reviews say, in a great location bars, (restaurants, shops, bus stops, markets in walking distance, beach a 2 minute walk in front of the hotel). They have put on shows every night, and got to be honest bingo etc isnt our thing, but some of the shows were great, the chinese circus, Beatles Tribute (Excellent), my son and husband liked the magic show, but I wasnt keen with them putting the birds after the show in a tool box, however everywhere else we went everybody is so animal orientated including the big shows like Loro Parque they are all about the protection and well being of the animals, all non profit organisations with animals that would not survive in the wild, if they can then they are realised. They have a team at the hotel that puts on things like darts, excercise programmes etc during the day, all are up to you if you get involved, no one pushes you.
The sun beds.... yes people do put their towels on early hours of the day, however we have not experienced not being able to get a sun bed even when its busy, so people who are putting their towels down all day are just rude in my book, but the hotel will remove towels if no one is on the sun bed for hours and hours.
The hotel has been full the whole time we have been here!!!
We moved my son into our room today as check out is 12 midday, they did not say a thing so he stays fully inclusive until 9pm when our coach arrives same as we do when we check out at 6pm, I dont know any other hotel that would have just let this go and not charged us something for eating and drinking!!! (it costs 32euros to keep our room from 12 midday until 6pm)

The Food: What are some of you going on about?!?! I am vegetarian and my husband & son love their full english in the morning and thats what they got every day... there is bacon, eggs sausages etc as well as fruit, cereal, cold meats, toast omg too much to say... as for the evening food, we found loads of choice, they do generally cook one specific meat a night but still lots of choice, pizza, pasta, chips, veg, paella, rice too much to say really....
Lets just say we were really happy with the choices, and drinks just kept coming and coming... and the bar by the pool has a constant supply of basic sandwiches and cakes, ice creams and these really nice tuna pastry thingys....

The rooms: Very functional, clean, we didnt have the best location in the hotel and apparently to get a pool view as some people have said on here costs about 12euro each extra a night. But to be honest I wish I hadnt read the review about being on the side we were on, yeh the fan is loud outside but really it didnt bother us, and to be honest we are on holiday we dont want so spend our time on the balcony any way... there is a nice sea view despite the fan noise, overall it didnt really bother us.
My son had problems with his bathroom water, but we adapted and he used our bathroom at times, I was being really critical about to make complaints etc but my husband and son were like "its ok its no big deal" which chilled me out. We told the first choice rep (who I have to say was really approachable) and warned him about the problem and he was really thankful, and I think it was him who arranged for us to be able to stay in our room until 6pm as our coach doesnt arrive until 9pm.

The reps: The guy who has been here has been fabulous, really approachable, their talk was great I highly recommend it and the guarantee the cheapest prices or money back!!! We went on some lovely days out... Siam Park, Loro Parque & Gold Katamarran (cant spell it, boat type thing), I recommend going gold it only allows 35 people on it and we saw whales in their natural habit (beautiful). It cost us 466.50Euros to do all 3 days out for 3 of us and it included the premium tour for Loro Parque (be careful though they say the guide is with you all day - she isnt but she does tell you where you should go before you meet up with her for the tour which was good) Highly recommend it, we would have missed so much if we hadnt gone with her. The reps are here every day, and I did here 2 young girl complaining on the first day, I heard the reps dealing with it, and he was fab, he was proffessional throughout with the hotel and the hotel immediately upgraded the girls to a lovely front location sea view (lucky them lol)...

Im sure there are things I have forgotton to mention, but seriously you are on holiday, this is a nice hotel in a great location..... enjoy yourselves!!!!

Room Tip: Just enjoy your hols, the rooms that dont look over the pool are fine!!!!!! dont panic, the hum of...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank cranes2011
lincoln
Reviewed 27 September 2012

the hotel has been brought back to it best with a complete overhaul of just about everything except the air con in public areas . the staff were great not a mardy face in sight Sonia Javi and the girls in reception were exceptional and waiter jorge was always running round. the pools and sunbed areas always being cleaned in the mornings which was good. bars tho busy didnt take too long to get to you served with a smile and decent measures only complaint was towels on beds at 7.30 a m we are getting as bad as a certain european country i won,t mention for doing this the thomsons reps were always very available if needed " bill and emma " as i am disabled a scooter was organised for me at very good rates 95 euro,s for sun a m to sun pm well worth it as its hilly round there , the news bar just round the corner has an abundance of footy on most days and they do guiness .. a good 12 hot days holiday union jack 70 and picky from lincoln

Room Tip: try for a low floor as lifts a bit slow floor 1 or 2 good resteurant on 1"
5 Thank unionjacklincoln_10
Louth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I've just returned from a weeks stay in the Luabay Costa Adeje.
It is a nice hotel with good rooms, good public areas, good pools and good food.
The reception staff are grumpy with the exception of Alberto and Javi who were lovely and very helpful. The women are just rude.
The restaurant staff work so hard, servers and chefs both, they do not stop and are always hard at work. The food is good, different choices for mains and puddings every night, and everything you could imagine for breakfast (including sweetcorn and greeen beans?!!!) There is a themed restaurant which you are entitled to 2 visits to if you stay 7 nights. It was full so we didn't even get one visit :-(
The rooms were cleaned very well every day and we were left clean towels every day although we did not ever put out our towels to be changed.Yes the showers flood, but a well placed bath mat can direct the flow of water under the sink where it is less of a health hazard than going out towards the room.
Safety deposit costs 15Euros with a 10Euro deposit. Pool towels 15Euros deposit per towel. Kettle in room 20Euros deposit.
If it's busy don't even try and book a late check out. Instead book a courtesy room the day of departure. About 5pm is the best time, they always run late so demand from the reception staff and they soon deliver. I don't like to get cross but with these women it was necessary. And they did apologise after for making us late, something you don't want to be when you are hot flustered and have a coach to catch.
The air con only really works in the bedrooms and mildy in the restaurant so it's hot in the public areas and stifling in the lifts! Floor 5 is a good floor to stay, 95 steps from the ground floor so it keeps you fit all holiday!
The entertainment team: Oskar, Fabienne etc are amazing. Activities all day and good acts in the evening, especially the Blues Brothers who had good banter with the crowd. And the Club Song which is played after every event, there is a dance routine and it gets stuck in your head!!!
One thing I wasn't impressed was on the board it said Thomson Couples. There were small children and babies staying there during my stay. Not having children myself I don't appreciate them being in a couples resort. Others may disagree but screaming children do not equal a restful experience for me.
Not a bad hotel. The best thing is Admiral Travel III directly opposite. Their tours are so much cheaper than Thomson or First Choice run by English/Scottish people who are lovely. And if you're exchanging money, you get better value from them than anywhere in England at the minute. 1.23 to england's 1.19 this week, even on just £100 not a better rate on £500 like at the post office.
The Luabay brand is making changes and are improving. Maybe by next summer it will be worth Platinum.But for this year, absolute value for money and I had a lovely holiday :-)

Room Tip: The rooms towards the rear of the hotel are quieter. 531 was an excellent room with a big balcony th...
7 Thank Frannabel
Thank you for your review about your experience in our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and only have some minor complaints. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it will help us improve in the future and reach full satisfaction among our guests. The information you are giving about the staff at reception and the problems you had on your departure day will be passed on to the responsible department. We would love to welcome you at the Luabay Costa Adeje again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Adeje
#1 of 2 in La Caleta
HOVIMA Panorama
HOVIMA Panorama
#30 of 58 in Costa Adeje

Been to HOVIMA Costa Adeje? Share your experiences!